14. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. LEONARD, WIGTON (fn. 1)
This house had property in Waverton at
an early date, for it is mentioned in a charter
of Lambert son of Gillestephen of Waverton
that the land of the hospital was situated on
the east side of the vill. (fn. 2) When the chantries
were dissolved in 1546, George Lancaster
was incumbent of the hospital of St. Leonard,
Wigton. (fn. 3)
15. THE HOSPITAL OF LENNH', BEWCASTLE
The collectors of the tenth, given by the
clergy of the diocese of Carlisle in 1294 to
Edward I. for the Holy Land, refer to this
house and reported that the hospital of Lennh'
in Bewcastle (Hospitale de Lennh' in Bothecaster) was unable to pay the assessment as
the land belonging to it lay uncultivated. (fn. 4)
16. THE HOSPITAL HOUSE OF CALDBECK
Gospatric son of Orm gave this hospital
(hospitalem domum de Caldebech) with the church
of that place to the priory of Carlisle (fn. 5) some
time before 1170.
17. THE HOUSE OF ST. JOHN, KESWICK
The house of St. John (domus sancti Johannis) existed either as a hospital or hermitage
in the early years of the thirteenth century (fn. 6)
and has bequeathed its name t the vale of
St. John near Keswick.
||At one time hospitals such as this and those
following must have been numerous in Cumberland, for near to many villages the name of Spittal,
the usual term in the vernacular for hospital, still
survives to remind us that some such institution
once occupied that site though all record of it has
been lost. Nothing has been discovered to show
the nature of these institutions, but it may be
taken that in them some provision was made to
isolate cases of endemic disease or to supply the
wants of the poor or to afford shelter to the destitute.
||Reg. of Holmcultram, MS. f. 73.
||Aug. Off. Chant. Cert. No. 12.
||Reg. of Holmcultram, MS. f. 278.
||Dugdale, Mon. vi. 144.
||Reg. of Fountains Abbey (Cott. MS. Tib. C,
xii.), f. 78b.