Houses of Austin canons
The priory of Newnham

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Year published

1904

Supporting documents

Pages

377-381

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Houses of Austin canons: The priory of Newnham', A History of the County of Bedford: Volume 1 (1904), pp. 377-381. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=40039 Date accessed: 27 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

7. THE PRIORY OF NEWNHAM

The Augustinian priory of Newnham was not actually built until some time after the accession of Henry II., but it may fairly claim to be the most ancient religious foundation in Bedfordshire, in so far as it still held the church of St. Paul's and succeeded to the endowments of the secular canons there. It is implied in the Domesday Survey that these latter were in Bedford before the Conquest; and Leland records the tradition that they lived in houses 'round about the Church.' (fn. 1) How long they had been there, and whether they were in any way descended from the original monastery of Bedford, named in 971 in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, it is difficult now to discover: all we know is that they were living at the Conquest as secular canons, and had property at Biddenham and Bedford. (fn. 2) Their patron at this time must have been Hugh de Beauchamp, who first held the barony of Bedford; a little later Payn de Beauchamp, son of Hugh, (fn. 3) and his sister Ellen are both named as benefactors. (fn. 4) But the foundation of the priory of Newnham was the work of Simon de Beauchamp, son of Payn, about 1166. Tradition ascribes the change to the scandal caused by the affair of Philip de Broi, (fn. 5) one of the canons, whose name has become famous in connection with the quarrel between Becket and the king. This man was accused of homicide, and cleared himself by oath; but the evidence was so much against him that Simon Fitz Peter, the king's justiciar, summoned him to a new trial. On receiving the summons, Philip broke out into such angry words and insults against the justiciar that the king considered his own authority slighted in the person of his delegate; and the archbishop, fearing that a very severe punishment would follow, interposed and passed sentence upon the offender in his own court. This sentence—the loss of his prebend, and further some penance for two years only—was considered by the king as a glaring instance of the failure of the ecclesiastical courts in dealing with serious crimes; it contributed something towards the estrangement between him and the archbishop, (fn. 6) and also made it advisable for the canons to change their place of residence.

This story has quite good authority, but it has probably no casual connection with the foundation of Newnham Priory. The change from secular to regular canons was going on in many religious houses at this time; the scandal of Philip de Broi can only at the most have hastened an event already inevitable. All that Simon de Beauchamp says (fn. 7) is that prudent and religious men had often counselled him to turn the gifts and endowments of his ancestors to a use more productive of reverence to God and honour to true religion, and that he was at last convinced of the wisdom of their advice. He names the king, Henry II., Pope Alexander III., Blessed Thomas the Martyr and Bishop Robert of Lincoln as having given their consent. (fn. 8)

The transference of all the endowments of the secular canons to William, first prior of Newnham, was solemnly made in the church of St. Paul in the presence of many witnesses. (fn. 9) The old canons were six in number: Nicholas archdeacon of Bedford, was one of them. (fn. 10) They probably kept some portion of their prebends for the term of their lives; perhaps being presented to or left in possession of churches in the gift of the house. The priory was specially rich in churches: fourteen are named in the first charter of Simon de Beauchamp, and eleven of these were still the property of the house in 1535. Simon's endowment was a generous one; his mother and other benefactors added to it, (fn. 11) but his own title to the name of founder is unquestionable.

During the first century of their existence the canons of Newnham had a good deal to endure. They had first to suffer from the violence of Fawkes de Bréauté, who with the consent and approval of King John actually pulled down the greater part of the church of St. Paul to strengthen the fortifications of Bedford Castle; he was probably an oppressive neighbour all the time he lived there, until the capture of the castle in 1223 by Henry III. The losses of the canons were partly made good to them by the gift of the church of Tinden, and by a present of stones from the dismantled castle. (fn. 12)

It was in the same year (Easter term 1223) that the priory was involved in a very interesting suit for the church of Aspley Guise. There were three claimants in the field, namely Fawkes de Bréauté and the priors of Dunstable and of Newnham. The last parson, Nicholas, has been presented by Roger de Salford, who held a knight's fee of Simon de Beauchamp in 1166. This Roger had then given the advowson to the church of Dunstable, his charter being confirmed by Simon de Beauchamp and by Robert Bishop of Lincoln (1147-66). The prior of Newnham pleaded that Guy de St. Walery and Aubreye his wife had given the church to St. Paul's, Bedford, their gift being confirmed by Simon de Beauchamp and Bishop Hugh (11861200). It was proved that Roger had only held Aspley as baillee until he was assigned land to the value of £10 elsewhere (which he afterwards received in Stotfold), and that Guy de St. Walery had recovered Aspley against him by fine. Therefore his gift was invalid, and Newnham was assigned the church under St. Walery's gift. (fn. 13)

But new troubles soon arose through the tyrannical behaviour of William de Beauchamp, son of the founder; who, encouraged by his wife Ida, proved himself quite as much an enemy to the religious of the neighbourhood as Fawkes de Bréauté had been. The first difficulty was connected with the church of Wootton, and other property of the priory; (fn. 14) but it was at the election of a prior that William's conduct at last brought him under episcopal censure. The charter of Simon had provided that the convent should have the right of free election, only asking his consent as patron: William wished to do the part of both bishop and patron. There was some unpleasantness over an election in 1247; (fn. 15) but in 1254 William came in person to the priory with his wife, and compelled the new prior, Stephen, to come outside the gate to him to receive the temporalities; then, taking him by the hand, he led him into the church, and installed him in his place in choir. (fn. 16) This, however, was too much for the bishop: he at once visited the priory and made William apologise for his invasion of the liberties of the church. (fn. 17) It is possible that the great charter of Newnham, in which William confirmed all the gifts of his father and others, including the licence for free election, belongs to this time. (fn. 18) The next of the Beauchamps, another William, made some reparation for the misdeeds of his father. (fn. 19)

When the barony of Bedford passed to the Mowbrays the advowson of the priory went with it. An attempt was made in 1347, (fn. 20) at the death of John of Astwick, to prove that it was held of the king in capite; but the jury then called proved conclusively that it was held always of the barony of Bedford, and that Sir John Mowbray was at that time the patron. In 1352 Thomas Mowbray, Earl Marshal, confirmed the charter of William de Beauchamp. (fn. 21) The foundation charter, charter of transference to Newnham and others were confirmed by Henry II., Edward I., Edward II., Edward III. and Richard II.; the last royal charter was that of Henry IV. dated 15 February 1408-9. (fn. 22)

Of the internal history of the priory we know very little. It seems to have had a good reputation at all times. Hervey, the prior in 1228 (previously prior of Osney), was commissioned in that year, with Richard de Morins of Dunstable, to visit all the houses of their order throughout the dioceses of Lincoln and Coventry; two priors resigned in consequence. (fn. 23) In Grossetête's unsparing visitations of 1235 and 1249 no charge was laid against this house; (fn. 24) and no other visitation is recorded until that of Bishop Burghersh some time before 1322. The prior at that time, John of Astwick, was very unpopular, and anxious in consequence to resign; but the bishop thought it sufficient to urge the brethren to be more exact in their obedience. (fn. 25) Bishop Buckingham sent an order in 1387 that 'peace should be established between the priories of Newnham and Caldwell;' (fn. 26) it would be interesting to know what was the matter in dispute, as there was usually so much goodwill between the various houses of Austin canons in this county. A year later (fn. 27) a brother was received back, who had become an apostate through discontent and was now repentant. At the visitation of Bishop Grey (fn. 28) (1431-6) the discipline of the house was still good; all that the bishop enjoined was that the sub-prior should do the work of the prior, now grown old and feeble. (fn. 28) Later, when Cardinal Wolsey undertook to reform the whole Augustinian order, it seems that Newnham was still amongst the more satisfactory houses. At the great general chapter summoned at Reading in June 1518 (the first after the lapse of more than a century) the prior of Newnham was chosen as one of the definitors, and made visitor for two counties. (fn. 29)

The prior, John Ashwell, with fourteen canons and two lay brothers, signed an acknowledgment of the royal supremacy in 1535. (fn. 30) It is probable that these seventeen were but a small proportion of the original number. (fn. 31) Nothing is known of the circumstances of the surrender of the house, except that it was made by a prior who had not been long in office, (fn. 32) and took place on 2 January 1540-1. (fn. 33) A pension of £60 was granted to the prior, John Burne, and pensions of other sums to fifteen canons besides.

The original endowment of the priory by Simon de Beauchamp comprised the tithes of fourteen churches—St. Paul's Bedford, Renhold, Ravensden, Great Barford, Willington, Cardington, Southill, (fn. 34) Hatley, Wootton, Stagsden, Lower Gravenhurst, Aspley, Salford, Goldington; portions of land in many places which had belonged to the old canons; the tithes of all his markets, assarts and woods; the castle mill and another with some lands and water attached; the free use of all waters belonging to the castle, as far as Fenlake, for fishing, navigation and breeding swans; and the right to pasture a certain number of cattle with his own free of cost. These gifts are rehearsed with much detail and some additions in the Great Charter of William de Beauchamp. At the time of the Taxatio the income of the priory appears as £164 10s. 8d., (fn. 35) of which £92 6s. 8d. is made up of spiritualities. The largest items amongst the temporalities are lands, etc., at Goldington, Salpho, Stotfold and Sharnbrook; (fn. 36) and these are found in the Feudal Aids as portions of knights' fees.

In 1302 the prior of Newnham held half a knight's fee in Sharnbrook, several fractions in Goldington, and half a knight's fee in Salpho. (fn. 37) In 1316 half a fee in Goldington, a quarter in Salpho, one seventh in Biddenham, one quarter in Southill. (fn. 38) In 1346 half a fee in Cotes and half a fee in Sharnbrook. (fn. 39) In 1428 the same as in 1346 with the addition of half a knight's fee in Salpho, and a quarter in Blunham and Moggerhanger. (fn. 40)

A comparison of the Valor and the Taxatio shows however that the property of the priory was almost the same in extent at both dates, varying very little in the course of history. It was all within the county of Bedford. Not one of the churches of the original endowment was quite lost, though three were only paying small pensions in 1535. Besides divers parcels of land the prior held the manors of Stotfold and Cardington. (fn. 41) The total valuation in 1535 was £284 12s. 11¾d.; in 1541 the ministers' accounts give only a total of £200 17s. 8¾d. (fn. 42)

Priors of Newnham

William, (fn. 43) first prior, appointed 1166

Ralph, (fn. 44) occurs 1198 and 1205

Eustace, (fn. 45) occurs 1214, died 1225

Harvey, (fn. 46) elected 1225, died or resigned 1238

Walter, (fn. 47) elected 1238, died 1247

Walter of Chawston, (fn. 48) elected 1247

Stephen, (fn. 49) elected 1254, died 1264

William le Fraunceys, (fn. 50) elected 1264, died 1271

William le Ros, (fn. 51) elected 1271, died 1272

Michael of Goldington, (fn. 52) elected 1272, died 1283

John of Bedford, (fn. 53) elected 1283, resigned 1300

Adam of Sherborne, (fn. 54) elected 1300, resigned 1300

William of Biddenham, (fn. 55) elected 1300, died 1307

William of Thorp, (fn. 56) elected 1307, resigned 1315

John of Astwick, (fn. 57) elected 1315, resigned 1347

John of Amersham, (fn. 58) elected 1347, resigned 1348

Henry of Woodford, (fn. 59) elected 1348, died 1349

William of Woodford, (fn. 60) elected 1349

Nicholas Baldock, (fn. 61) elected 1362, died 1369

John of Biddenham, (fn. 62) elected 1369, died 1395

William of Woughton, (fn. 63) elected 1395

John Bromham, (fn. 64) occurs 1437 and 1441

John, (fn. 65) occurs 1477 and 1490

Henry of Newnham, (fn. 66) occurs 1493

John Ashwell, (fn. 67) occurs 1535

John Burne, (fn. 68) occurs 1540

The conventual seal was large and elaborate. It represents St. Paul seated on a throne, under a trefoiled canopy, with sword in his right hand; an angel above on either side, and groups of votaries under arches to the right and left, with the moon above one group and the sun above the other. Legend: SIGILL' PRIORIS ET CONVENTUS SBĪ PAULI DE NEWEHAM.

Counter-seal: three niches. In the middle St. Paul kneeling with an executioner behind him; above his head PAULV and possibly a hand of blessing. St. Luke and St. Titus on the left and right, with their names above them. Legend: MUCRO . FUROR . SAULI . FUIT . ENS[IS . PAS]SIO . PAULI. (fn. 69)

There is a seal of William of Woughton, prior 1395, pointed oval, representing St. Paul seated in a canopied niche, pinnacled and crocketted, holding a sword in the right hand and a book in the left, between two shields, one with a lion and the other a cross paty; and a prior below, half length, with hands folded in prayer. Legend: S. FRATRIS WILTĪ DE WOKETONE PRIORIS DE NEWED. (fn. 70)

The seal of Henry de Newnham (1493) is the same. Legend: s. F'RIS HENRIC' NEWNAM PRIORIS DE NEWEHAM. (fn. 71)

Footnotes

1 Quoted Dugdale, Mon. vi. 373.
2 See ante Domesday Translation.
3 Add. MS. 24465 (Chartul. of Wardon), f.39 says the Hugh of Domesday was father of Payn who succeeded to the barony of Bedford, and also of Simon, who married the heiress of Eaton, and was ancestor of the other line of Beauchamps.
4 Harl MS. 3656, f. 14b.
5 Mr. Round is of opinion that he was related to Robert de Broy, a feudal tenant of Simon de Beauchamp in 1166. He is called 'nobilis genere' by William of Canterbury in Materials for the Life of St. Thomas (Rolls Series), i. 12.
6 The story is told with some variations in Materials for Life of St. Thomas (Rolls Series), i. 12, 13, iii. 45; and Ralph de Diceto, Ymag. Hist. (ibid.), i. 213, under the date 1164.
7 Harl. MS. 3656, f. 14b.
8 The death of Robert de Chesney in 1166 fixes the decision of Simon to that year at the latest: nor could it have been very much earlier, partly because of the consent of Archbishop Thomas, and partly because of the age of Simon, who could not have been born earlier than 1146. His mother's first husband, Geoffrey de Mandeville, died 1144.
9 Simon's third charter (Harl. MS. 3656, f. 16). The same parties are named as consenting; and one of the witnesses is 'Count Alberic, my uncle' —Aubrey de Vere, his mother's brother.
10 The others were named William, Philip, Gilbert, Richard and Ralf. The foundation charter of Chicksand promises the church of Haynes 'after the death of Philip de Broi'; the churches of Southill, Salford and Aspley certainly belonged to the old canons (Harl. MS. 3656, ff. 18, 49b; ibid. 1885, f. 24).
11 Leland represents Countess Roais as the prime mover, and her son only confirming the act of his mother: but the charters give exactly the opposite impression.
12 Pat. 1 Henry III. m. 13; Matth. Paris, Chron. Majora, iii. 87. Close 8 Henry III. makes the stones of the castle a recompense for furnishing mangonels, etc., for the siege.
13 Bracton's Note Book, iii. 474–6. There had been several disputes about the church before this. Nicholas the archdeacon (1145–81) confirmed the gift of it by Roger de Salford to Dunstable, and explained that it had once formed a part of his prebend, but now he resigned all his rights in it to the priory (Harl. MS. 1885, f. 24); while on the other hand Simon de Beauchamp wrote to the Bishop of Norwich to say that if the prior of Dunstable or any one else should bring forward a charter to prove his right to the church, it would not be with his warrant: and that the charter of Roger de Salford, who, as his tenant, had no power to give the church to any one without his consent, was invalid (Harl. MS. 3656, f. 20).
14 Harl. MS. 3656, ff. 19, 21b, 22.
15 Ann. Mon. (Rolls Series), iii. 172.
16 Ibid. 191.
17 Harl. MS. 3656, f. 54.
18 Ibid. ff. 8–12.
19 Harl. MS. 3656, ff. 21b, 22. The elder William died in 1260, the younger in 1262 (Ann. Mon. [Rolls Series], iii. 215, 219).
20 The question of the advowson had been before the bishop in 1314 (Linc. Epis. Reg., Memo. Dalderby, 280d). The king's escheator, Roger l'Estrange, held it in 1271 and 1272 (ibid. Rolls of Gravesend) in the interval between John de Beauchamp and Sir John Mowbray, and this naturally led to the assumption that it was held of the king.
21 Harl. MS. 3656, f. 32.
22 Ibid. ff. 25–36.
23 Ann. Mon. (Rolls Series), iii. 112.
24 Ibid. 146, 179. It seems, however, that Grossetête purposed a special visitation to Newnham, and was not satisfied with its condition, though the Dunstable chronicler does not allude to this (Introd. to Letters of Grossetête [Rolls Series]).
25 Linc. Epis. Reg., Memo. Burghersh, 38.
26 Ibid. Memo. Buckingham, 342d.
27 Linc. Epis. Reg., Memo. Buckingham, 348.
28 Ibid. Memo. Grey, 199. At this visitation it was enjoined that on every Saturday the warden of the church of St. Paul's, Bedford, should give all the fruits of the church to the bursar of the monastery, to be used for the clothing of the canons and other necessities.
29 Cott. MS. Vesp. D i. ff. 64, 70. General chapters were held at Newnham in 1292 (Ann. Mon. [Rolls Series], iii. 390) and in 1340; priors of Newnham were definitors in 1340 and 1365 (Cott. MS. Vesp. D i. ff. 46b, 56).
30 Rymer, Fœdera, vi. (2), 200, and 7th Report of the Deputy Keeper of the Records.
31 There is nothing in the documents relating to the priory to show the number of canons at any time before the end; but the income in the thirteenth century, on the analogy of other houses, would have supported thirty or forty.
32 John Burne signed the surrender. In 1524 the prior of Newnham was ordered to take the fealty of Agnes Gascoigne, the newly-elected abbess of Elstow (L. and P. Hen. VIII. iv. 487). In 1536 the prior of Newnham (unnamed) was accused of having fraudulently denied all knowledge of a box of money deposited with him by the chancellor of Lincoln some time before. A certain priest and servants of the chancellor (who had just died) declared that they consigned the money to the prior, and gave the contents of the box in detail (ibid. xi. 1407). The results of the inquiry are not stated.
33 Ibid. xv. II.
34 Of Southill only two-thirds; the remaining third was not granted till 1255 (Cal. of Pap. Letters, i. 314). Turvey appears in the charters of Simon and William de Beauchamp (Harl. MS. 3656, ff. 8, 14b), but it never could have belonged to Newnham.
35 The church of Gravenhurst is not included, as it does not appear in the Taxatio; possibly other items are missing.
36 These places are all named in the foundation charters, but the largest item there is three hides in Cardington.
37 Feud. Aids, i. 11, 15, 16.
38 Ibid. 17, 18, 19.
39 Ibid. 28, 29.
40 Ibid. 39, 42, 45.
41 There are two royal charters (Harl. MS. 3656, f. 27) confirming to Newnham the manor of Stanbridge, to be held of Hugh de Beauchamp; this appears in the last valuation as 'Rents in Stanbridge manor—£4.'
42 Dugdale, Mon. vi. 377.
43 Harl. MS. 3656, ff. 16, 70.
44 Feet of F. (Rec. Com.), 18, 73.
45 Ibid. 86. Ann. Mon. (Rolls Series), iii. 93 has 'E. prior of Newnham died; Herveius prior of Oseney elected.'
46 Ibid. 93, 191.
47 Linc. Epis. Reg., Rolls of Grossetête.
48 Ibid.; Ann. Mon. (Rolls Series), iii. 172.
49 Ibid. 191.
50 Linc. Epis. Reg., Rolls of Gravesend. This is the last time that one of the Beauchamps appears as patron.
51 Ibid.
52 Ibid.
53 Ibid. Rolls of Sutton; Ann. Mon. (Rolls Series), iii. 297.
54 Linc. Epis. Reg., Inst. Dalderby, 258.
55 Ibid.
56 Ibid. 263.
57 Ibid. 273d.
58 Ibid. Inst. Bek, 105; Harl. MS. 3656, f. 28b
59 Linc. Epis. Reg., Inst. Gynwell, 379.
60 Ibid.
61 Ibid.; Harl. 3656, f. 30b.
62 Linc. Epis. Reg., Inst. Buckingham, 384.
63 Ibid. 366.
64 Charter in the possession of F. A. Page-Turner, Esq., and Cat. of Anct. Deeds (P.R.O.), A 2315, 2871.
65 Ibid. A. 552; Dugdale, Mon. vi. 373.
66 Dugdale, Mon. vi. 373; Add. MS. 5827, f. 175b, from Reg. Acad. Cant.
67 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iv. 187; Rymer, Fœdera, vi. (2), 200.
68 L. and P. Hen. VIII. xv. 11.
69 B.M. seals, lix. 63, 64.
70 Ibid. lviii. 40.
71 Ibid. lviii. 41.