16. THE HOSPITAL OF CHILDREY
A chantry with almshouse annexed for three
poor men was founded on the eve of the Reformation (1526) by William Fetyplace, in
honour of the Blessed Trinity and St. Katherine.
The founder assigned certain lands to Queen's
College, Oxford, for its maintenance. They
were to pay £8 yearly to a priest of good conversation to serve as chantry priest in the south
transept of the parish church; the priest was to
have a habitation adjoining that of the three poor
men, and to pay them their dole. Each bedesman was to receive 9d. weekly and 9s. 4d.
yearly for livery, with 2s. 8d. for wood and coals.
Notwithstanding the close connexion of the
almshouses with the chantry, and the obligation
that rested upon the three bedesmen of attending
daily mass and praying for the founder and his
friends, the Chantry Commissioners of 1548,
finding that the lands were assigned to the provost and scholars of Queen's College, decided,
after conference with the judges, that it was 'not
within the compass of the statute.' (fn. 9)
||Chant. and Coll. Cert. Nos. 3, 51.