This property lay on the S. side of Poultry, between 32A to the W., 33 to the E., and 26 to the S., and was one of 8 stone shops, originally part of 26. By the early 15th century it is clear that it was only a ground-floor shop, and the solar above belonged to 32A to the W. Probably this was actually the case much earlier: 32A was described as a shop with 2 solars in the mid 13th century.
32B was probably the 3rd shop from the W. in the row of 8 stone shops in ferronaria (31-35) granted between 1220 and 1222 by Matthew Blund, who then held 26, to Clerkenwell Priory. The shop, with solar over at that date, measured 2 1/4 ells 2 in. (6 ft. 11 in.; 2.11 m.) in width and 5 1/2 ells (16 ft. 6 in.; 5.03 m.) in length. Probably, like others in the row, it was granted out by the priory, reserving only a quit-rent. Gilbert the ironmonger held the shop to the W. of 33 c. 1231-45, but it is not clear whether this meant 32A or 32B. In 1275-6 the shop of Andrew le Bret, probably identifiable as 32B, lay to the W. of 33, and he was named as former tenant or owner of the same in 1305. Richard de Caumpes appears to have held it in 1305, according to an abutment from 32A. By 1320 32B was held by Sir Richer de Refham, kt., owner of 26. In that year the prioress of Clerkenwell distrained in his tenement in the parish of St. Mary Colechurch for arrears of a quit-rent of 13s. 4d., which he acknowledged. 32B was subsequently held with and used as part of 26, and descended in the same ownership, from Richer to John de Refham, then to Roger de Refham. It was held by Richard de Wynchecombe, tenant by the grant of Roger de Refham, in 1358, and by Adam Fraunceys and his wife Margaret in 1378 and 1395. John Salle was their tenant; in 1378 and 1391 the tenement called la Horsheved on the hope, which he held, lay to the W. and S. of 33. In 1394 32B was described as the entry to le Horsheved (26). It was so described again in 1402, when the solar of Simon Wynchecoumbe (part of 32A) lay above it. (fn. 1)
From 1415 to 1436-7 the Merchant Taylors' Company, now owners of 32A, paid a quit-rent of 13s. 4d. to Adam Fraunceys and his heirs; possibly this was related to the quit-rent of 13s. 4d. due to Clerkenwell, which between them they owed for 32B and the solar over. In 1446 32B was described as a shop occupied by John Stancy, junior, formerly the entry to the brewhouse called le Horshede, late of Adam Fraunceys, kt., under a solar formerly of Simon Wynchecombe, afterwards of John Ballard, and now of the tailors' fraternity. This appears to be the last time that 32B is identifiable separately; it is not certain what happened to it, but it seems to have been acquired by the Merchant Taylors' Company and incorporated into their properties. In a rent account for Clerkenwell in 1489-90, 13s. 4d. were said to be due for the tenement of Adam Fraunces and the pourparty of the Skinners' fraternity (sic). Possibly it was in arrears then; in a similar account for 1524-5 the rent, still said to be due, was not paid, and listed under decasus redditus, and in subsequent accounts, though decayed rents are not specified, it seems probable that this was among them. Clerkenwell Priory was still receiving quit-rents of 1 mark each from 31-32A, 33, and 34, and 3 marks from 35. (fn. 2)