36. THE HOSPITAL OF CROWMARSH
Very little is known of this institution. That
it existed as early as 1142 is a natural conclusion
from the notice that the Empress Matilda gave it
land in Benson. (fn. 1) We have a deed (fn. 2) of 1248
whereby the hospital for lepers at Crowmarsh
and the hospital for lepers at Wycombe, by
their proctors, Adam and Richard, surrender to
Oseney Abbey some part of their tithes at Oving,
Buckinghamshire, receiving annually in return six
quarters of corn. Two other deeds, quoted by
Lipscombe, (fn. 3) add to our knowledge. In 1267 and
1269 Richard, master of the hospital for the
infirm at Wycombe, and John, master of the
hospital for the infirm at Crowmarsh, made good
their claim to the tenth sheaf of the demesne
once of Wigan of Wallingford in Oving, after
the church has taken its tenth sheaf. This they
claimed in virtue of the charter of Wigan. This
Wigan was nephew of the great Brien FitzCount of Wallingford, was at one time lord
of Wycombe, (fn. 4) and died in 1156, (fn. 5) but as it does
not seem that he ever owned Crowmarsh, he
cannot have been the founder of the hospital. In
1232 the king granted an oak to the master of
the hospital of St. Mary Magdalen of Crow
marsh, to make shingles for the roof of the
church of the hospital. (fn. 6) By a deed of
1240-50, (fn. 7) the 'brothers and sisters of the
hospital of St. Mary Magdalen of Crowmarsh'
make a grant about land in Wallingford;
and another deed (fn. 8) records that in 11 Edw.
II, Miles, warden of the hospital of St. Mary
Magdalen of Crowmarsh, quitclaimed arrears of
wheat from Oving; both deeds have lost their
Testa de Nevill (Rec. Com.), 134b.
||Oseney Chartul. No. 688.
||Lipscombe, Bucks, i, 373.
||A deduction from the Pipe Rolls.
Cal. of Close R. (1231-4), p. 75.
||Bodl. Lib. Oxon. Chart. 149.
Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. vi, 581.