27. THE HOSPITAL OF COTES
When Henry III. was at Geddington on
7 December, 1229, he issued letters of protection to the lepers of Cotes by Rockingham,
authorizing them to ask alms for their house. (fn. 1)
The only other reference to this house that
has been noticed occurs in the record of forest
proceedings (see Thrapston Hospital) of the year
1301. A slain doe having been found in a snare
near Benefield Laund, an inquest was held, and
in accordance with forest law the flesh was sent
to the lepers of St. Leonard's, Cotes, which was
the nearest hospital. (fn. 2) From other forest documents it appears that Cotes was in Cottingham
||Pat. 14 Hen. III. m. 7.
||Forest Proc. Tr. of Rec. No. 79.