32. THE HOSPITAL OF WALBEK, NORTHAMPTON
In addition to the important foundation of
St. Leonard's by the south gate of Northampton
for the service of lepers, there was another lazar
house by the north gate. This hospital is not
mentioned by Dugdale or Tanner, and has
hitherto escaped the attention of the local
historians of the county or borough.
Only two references to it have been noticed,
both of them of the fourteenth century and in
diocesan registers. In 1301 Bishop Dalderby
granted an indulgence in favour of the infirmary
of the hospital of Walbek without Northampton; (fn. 1) and in 1322 Bishop Burghersh granted an
indulgence for those assisting the poor lepers of
Walbek without the north gate of Northampton. (fn. 2)
The name Walbek occurs in one of the
corporation deeds of the year 1360, wherein
Sir Paynel Gobion granted a life lease of
16 acres of land, lying without the north gate,
on each side of the king's highway, from St.
Bartholomew's church to Walbek. (fn. 3)
||Linc. Epis. Reg. Memo. of Dalderby, f. 40.
||Ibid. Memo. of Burghersh, f. 78.
||Cox, Records of the Borough of Northampton, ii. 167.