Pall Mall, South Side, Past Buildings
No 111 Pall Mall

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

F. H. W. Sheppard (General Editor)

Year published

1960

Supporting documents

Page

348

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Addenda / corrigenda

Any material between chevrons <> has come to light since publication. Anyone interested in the sources for this new material should contact the Survey of London

Citation Show another format:

'Pall Mall, South Side, Past Buildings: No 111 Pall Mall', Survey of London: volumes 29 and 30: St James Westminster, Part 1 (1960), pp. 348. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=40584 Date accessed: 16 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

No. 111 Pall Mall

Occupied part of the site of the Athenaeum

This house stood immediately west of Carlton House and was occupied from c. 1786 until its demolition in 1827 by John Phillips; it was renumbered as No. 110 in 1821. (ref. 34) Henry Holland's sketch book in the library of the Royal Institute of British Architects contains a design for 'Glass Frames' here. There is no evidence that Holland did any other work here, and the house delineated by Coney (pocket, drawing B) was a commonplace structure hardly attributable to him.

References

34. R.B.