Nos. 92–93 Pall Mall: The Royal
Occupied part of the site subsequently occupied until
1940 by the Carlton Club, and now by 'No. 100 Pall Mall'
From 1767 to 1777 the house later numbered
93 was occupied by the Hon. Thomas Fitzmaurice, (ref. 34) who in 1779 and from 1781 to 1787
occupied the house later numbered 105 Pall Mall.
Coney (pocket, drawing B) shows a Palladian
house-front of four storeys, three windows wide.
A verandah, with slender iron columns and segmental arches, supported a balcony at first-floor
level. The middle first-floor window was dressed
with architrave, frieze and triangular pediment,
and above the second-floor windows was a large
triangular pediment, its apex breaking into the
arched middle window of the top, or attic storey.
In 1777–8 the Royal Hotel was established at
the houses later numbered 92–93; the proprietor
was James Weston. (ref. 34) The hotel was described in
1815 as 'an extensive establishment for the reception and accommodation of gentlemen and families
of distinction'. (ref. 69) In 1809 Weston became bankrupt, and in the following year he gave up the
easterly house (No. 93); he remained proprietor
of the hotel until his death in 1816. (ref. 70)
In 1810–11 No. 93 was occupied by F. A.
Winsor, the pioneer of gas lighting (see below),
and from 1819 by R. H. Evans, the bookseller and
auctioneer, who had previously had premises on
the north side of the street. (ref. 71) No. 92 was occupied
after 1818 by Messrs. Mott, pianoforte manufacturers. (ref. 72) Both houses were demolished in c. 1846
to make way for the western extension of the
The Epicure's Almanack, 1815, pp. 206–7.
||R.B.; P.C.C., 228 Wynne.
||R.B.; Pigot's Directory, 1823–4.