No. 69 Pall Mall: Hammersley's Bank
In 1726 Thomas Ripley, Comptroller of the
King's Works, had also petitioned the Crown for a
lease of a plot on the south side of Pall Mall on
which stood three other houses, two fronting the
street and one at the back. In the following year
he was granted a reversionary lease from 1740 to
1776 (ref. 262) but rebuilding does not seem to have been
carried out, and in 1742 Ripley's term was extended to 1792. (ref. 265) In 1772, when another lease
was granted to the trustees of the marriage settlement of Richard Ripley, Thomas Ripley's son,
the Surveyor General reported that the old buildings had been taken down and two substantial
brick messuages erected; (ref. 271) the ratebooks indicate
that this rebuilding had been completed by 1746.
In 1795 Thomas Hammersley acquired both
the houses. (ref. 272) Hammersley had been a partner in
the firm of Ransom, Morland and Hammersley, a
banking house on the north side of Pall Mall (ref. 273)
where No. 50 now stands. (ref. 214) Owing to the
difference in the floor levels of the two houses,
Hammersley completely rebuilt the smaller and
united it with the larger, which he partly rebuilt. (ref. 272)
Coney (pocket, drawing B) shows the house with
an arcaded shop-front of four bays, and a plain
front above containing three storeys, each with
four windows, finished with a cornice and balustrade.
Here Hammersley established a new bank (ref. 273)
which later became Hammersley, Greenwood and
Brooksbank. In 1840 the firm stopped payment;
the business was absorbed by Coutts and Company,
and the house was taken over by the London
Joint-Stock Bank in 1841. (ref. 274)
In 1888–9 the building was refronted and
thoroughly renovated, the architect being R.
Creese Harrison. (ref. 275) It and the adjoining house
occupied by the Guards' Club were demolished
shortly after 1922 to make way for the present
building (see page 425).
Ibid., LRRO63/36, pp. 204–6, 230.
Ibid., LRRO63/47, pp. 32–3, 77–85.
||P.R.O., LRRO63/65, pp. 102–4, 217–21.
Ibid., LRRO63/93, pp. 275–82.
||P. W. Matthews and A. W. Tuke, History of
Barclays Bank Limited, 1926, pp. 52–4.
||R.B.; F. G. Hilton Price, A Handbook of London
Bankers, 1890–1, p. 77.
||C.E.O., file 14160.