Soho Square Area: Portland Estate
No. 18 Soho Square

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

F. H. W. Sheppard (General Editor)

Year published

1966

Supporting documents

Pages

68-69

Citation Show another format:

'Soho Square Area: Portland Estate: No. 18 Soho Square', Survey of London: volumes 33 and 34: St Anne Soho (1966), pp. 68-69. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41043 Date accessed: 01 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

No. 18 Soho Square

Madam Lucy was living here in 1691. Other inhabitants include Dr. Cotesworth, 1711–14; James Hamilton, Lord Paisley, later seventh Earlx of Abercorn, scientist, 1716–22, and William Churchill, formerly M.P. for Ipswich, 1723–8, (ref. 33) to whom in 1725 both Nos. 18 and 19 were leased by the first Duke of Portland for a reversionary term of thirty-five years from 1734. (ref. 21) In 1729 Churchill removed to No. 19 and lived there until his death in 1737. (ref. 33) Shortly afterwards his executors sold the lease of No. 18 for £515. (ref. 97) Later occupants include Charles Molloy, journalist and dramatist, who died in the house, 1754–67; Baron Charles de Montesquieu, 1798–9; H. W. Pickersgill, artist, from at least 1822 and possibly from 1817 to 1850, and Messrs. Crosse and Blackwell, 1884–1920. (ref. 33)

The present fabric appears to be an entirely commonplace mid nineteenth-century structure (fig. 5).

References

33. R.B.
21. Nottingham University, Portland MSS., Soho lease book.
97. M.L.R. 1738/1/315.