No. 35 Soho Square
What is known of the early history of this house
has been described above with that of Nos. 33–34.
Early inhabitants included Lord Livenberg, c.
1691–2; Sir John Huband or Hughband, 1694–
1710, and Gabriel Roberts, M.P., formerly
governor of Fort William, Calcutta, 1712–33.
In 1734–5 this house and the adjoining No. 34
were probably renovated or partially rebuilt by
Captain Edmund Strudwick, who lived at No. 35
from 1735 to 1737. Later inhabitants included
the Hon. Mrs. Verney, 1743–56; Sir Philip
Musgrave, sixth baronet, M.P., 1766–83 and
(Sir) James Duberley, 1788–1809. The house
was used as the recruiting office for the military
service of the East India Company from 1817 to
1833, when the office was removed to No. 28. (ref. 118)
A photograph of Nos. 34 and 35 is reproduced
on Plate 93a. The existing office building on this
site was erected in 1955–6 to the designs of Leslie
Norton, (ref. 323) who followed the general lines of his
earlier building next door at Nos. 33–34 (fig. 3).
|| R.B.; P.O.D.