Soho Square Area: Portland Estate
Nos. 73-89 (odd) Oxford Street

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

F. H. W. Sheppard (General Editor)

Year published

1966

Supporting documents

Page

127

Citation Show another format:

'Soho Square Area: Portland Estate: Nos. 73-89 (odd) Oxford Street', Survey of London: volumes 33 and 34: St Anne Soho (1966), pp. 127. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41067 Date accessed: 24 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Nos. 73–89 (odd) Oxford Street

The building numbered 73–77 was erected in 1929–30 for Drages, then a well-known furnishing firm specializing in hire-purchase. The architects were Gordon Jeeves and Herbert A. Welch, (ref. 351) the former probably being responsible for the elevation, which is similar in style to Ideal House, Great Marlborough Street, designed by Raymond Hood, of New York, in association with Gordon Jeeves. (ref. 352) Slabs of polished 'Royal Blue' granite (dark grey in colour) form a plain surround to the recessed shop front and the mezzanine windows, and the same material is used for the rib-like piers between the seven tall and narrow openings containing the windows of the four upper storeys. The window aprons of metal are decorated with motifs of wavy and chevron lines in crude imitation of Edgar Brandt's metalwork, and panels of similar design form mullions in the horizontal strip window of the top storey. In 1952 the premises were extended westwards to include Nos. 79–89 (odd), by adding a five-bay centre, faced with 'Scotch Grey' granite, and a seven-bay repeat of the original front, these extensions conforming with the flattened zigzag line of the frontage. The work was executed for Montague Burton Limited by their chief architect, N. Martin. (ref. 353)

References

351. E.S. 102802.
352. Survey of London, vol. XXXI, 1963, p. 307.
353. B.A. 79531.