The course of this street is marked on the plan of
1585 (Plate 1a) by a hedge, the western part of
which formed the boundary between the land
formerly in the possession of the Abbot and Convent of Abingdon Abbey (later the Pulteney
estate, described in Chapter XII) on the north and
St. Giles's (later Soho) Fields on the south. A
plan of 1664 shows it as 'Hedg[e] Lane', (ref. 122) but it
first appears by name in the ratebooks as Milk
Alley in 1692, when seventeen ratepayers' names
are recorded, including one 'for ye chappell' (see
below). It appears in the ratebooks as Milk
Alley until 1838, when it became Little Dean
Street. In 1937 it was renamed Bourchier
Street in commemoration of the Reverend Basil
Bourchier, rector of St. Anne's from 1930 to
1933, who died in 1934.
There was a general rebuilding in Milk Alley
in c. 1734, but there are now no buildings of
interest in the street.
Le Tabernacle and Le Quarré French Churches
From 1692 to 1695 the ratebooks show a
French church in Milk Alley. This was Le
Tabernacle, which in 1696 was acquired for use
by the congregation of the church called L'Église
de Leicester Fields, in Orange Street, St. Martin
in the Fields. The church in Milk Alley
appears to have been discontinued in about
1720. (ref. 123)
In about 1769 the French church of Le
Quarré (originally in Monmouth House, Soho
Square) removed from Berwick Street, St.
James's, (ref. 121) to a site on the south side of Milk
Alley now occupied by the back of No. 64 Dean
Street. A church was hired at £13 2s. 6d. per
annum, and in 1769–71 building operations were
carried out, costing a little over £600. Most of the
payment was to a Mr. Johnson, presumably a
builder. (ref. 125) The church first appears in the ratebooks in 1770. It was closed about 1850 and
merged with the church of La Savoie. (ref. 126)
Procs. Hug. Soc., vol. VIII, 1909, pp. 27–8;
Pubs. Hug. Soc., vol. XXIX, 1926; Survey of
London, vol. XX, 1940, p. 110.
||P.R.O., HO107/1510/2, 4; R.B.
||Huguenot Library, Le Quarré account book,
Procs. Hug. Soc., vol. VIII, 1909, p. 37; ibid.,
vol. XIV, 1933, pp. 101–3; P.O.D.