Until 1896 this was known as Crown Court. It
was first laid out as a paved court between Dean
Street and Great Chapel Street in the early 1690's.
The site had been part of a larger piece of ground
leased in 1685 by Benjamin Hinton's assignees in
bankruptcy to Job Bickerton and William Webb,
carpenters, and Edward Roydon, turner, all of
St. Anne's. They were supplied with building
materials (perhaps used in the construction of
Carlisle Street) by Philip Harman, the executor
of Joseph Girle, the original lessee of the property
(as part of a much larger area). (ref. 144) They became
indebted to Harman and by 1691 had assigned
back to him the site of Crown Court. It is
Harman who is found granting leases of sites for
building there in 1691–3. They ran until
Christmas 1731. One lessee, on the north side,
was Edward Kitchener of St. Giles in the Fields,
joiner, who in turn seems to have got into financial
difficulties which delayed the completion of his
houses for occupation. (ref. 154)
The court appears by name in a tax book of
1693. Probably all the houses then existed in
carcase although some were untenanted (ref. 16) and
remained so for a number of years. (ref. 155) The southeast corner house was built between 1703 and
1706 (ref. 29) and later became No. 92 Dean Street
(see page 141). Strype in 1720 describes the court
as 'at present of small Account'. (ref. 156)
In the late 1730's most of the court was rebuilt (ref. 29) under Portland building leases dated 18
March 1736/7 expiring at Michaelmas 1799. (ref. 157)
Lessees on the north side were Henry Peat of
St. George's, Hanover Square, carpenter, and
Jonathan Graves or Greaves of St. James's,
painter (each taking two sites): (ref. 158) mortgagees of
Peat were George Stagg of St. Martin in the
Fields, mason, (ref. 159) and Hugh Raynolds of St.
James's, carpenter. (ref. 160) The lessees of five sites on
the south side were John Winter and William
Franklin of St. Andrew's, Holborn, carpenters: (ref. 161)
their mortgagees included Benjamin Davenport
of St. George's, Bloomsbury, carpenter. (ref. 162)
The court now contains no buildings of interest.
Ibid., C7/605/64; C10/517/38.
||Corporation of London Record Office, assessments box 83.2.
||John Strype, A Survey of the Cities of London
and Westminster, 1720, vol. ii, bk. vi, p. 87.
||E.g. M.L.R. 1738/2/110.
Ibid., 1737/2/229–30; Nottingham University,
Portland MSS., Soho lease book.
|| M.L.R. 1737/3/124.
Ibid., 1737/2/544–5; 1737/3/75; 1737/4/47–8.