No. 73 Dean Street
Occupants of this house, built c. 1756 at the
same time as the former Nos. 71 and 72 (see table
on page 250), included George James, portrait
painter, from 1763 to 1779, (ref. 45) and Antony Shepherd, D.D., Plumian professor of astronomy at
Cambridge from 1787 until his death here in
1796. (ref. 46)
The front of the house was similar to that of
No. 72 (Plate 30a). The plan on a lease of 1840 (ref. 47)
shows a frontage of some twenty-three feet and a
depth of about fifty-seven feet (fig. 52).
The house was planned with an open-well
staircase, top-lit, between the front and back
rooms, these being connected by a closet on the
north side of the staircase compartment. The back
room was made slightly deeper than the front by
a projecting three-windowed bay in the rear wall,
similar to that at No. 71.
A photograph of 1901 shows that the originally
plain front had by that date been faced with stucco,
the tall first-floor windows being dressed with
architraves, narrow friezes, and segmental pediments, whereas the second-floor windows were
left plain. (ref. 48) The house is so shown in 1912
From 1834 the history of the house was that
of Miss Kelly's (later the Royalty) Theatre, described below. The site is now part of that of
No. 72–74 Dean Street, Royalty House.
||R.B.; D.N.B.; Graves; Edward Edwards,
Anecdotes of Painters, 1808, p. 216.
||B.M., Dept. of Prints and Drawings, National
Photographic Record, box 32.