No. 72–74 (consec.) Dean Street: Royalty House
This block of offices (Plate 139b) was erected
in 1954–5 to a design by T., P. H. and E.
Braddock and completed in 1959. (ref. 122) It has a wellmannered front of simple Georgian character,
four storeys high and nine windows wide, built
of fawn-coloured facing bricks sparingly dressed
with stone, used for the Doric open-pedimented
porch to the central entrance, for the ground-floor
window keystones and first-floor bandcourse, and
for the parapet coping. Carved figures in the
tympanum of the doorway, and masks at the ends
of the first-floor bandcourse serve to recall the
theatrical associations of the site. The original
domestic character of the street has been skilfully
maintained by the scale of the plain window-openings, and by the vertical division of the front
into three equal parts by handsome hopper-heads
and rainwater-pipes of cast lead.
||G.L.C., Dept. of Architecture and Civic Design,
Theatre Section, case 444; B.A.27827.