The Pitt Estate in Dean Street
No. 79 Dean Street

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

F. H. W. Sheppard (General Editor)

Year published

1966

Supporting documents

Page

237

Citation Show another format:

'The Pitt Estate in Dean Street: No. 79 Dean Street', Survey of London: volumes 33 and 34: St Anne Soho (1966), pp. 237. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41099 Date accessed: 25 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

No. 79 Dean Street

For the building of this house see the table on page 250. Throughout the eighteenth century the ratepayers changed frequently. The address of R. W. Backhouse, architect, is given here in 1806 and 1811, and of William Pickman, sculptor, in 1825–33. (ref. 204) Like No. 78, the house is of conventional design, its plan mirroring that of its neighbour to the south. The front, three windows wide, has been altered in the ground storey by the insertion of a shop front and the replacement of the original doorcase by one of mid-Victorian character in stucco. A fourth storey has replaced the original mansard garret (Plate 112c).

References

204. Graves.