Editorial note

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1907

Page

15

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Editorial note', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3 (1907), pp. XV. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41277 Date accessed: 02 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

EDITORIAL NOTE

The Editors desire to acknowledge the liberal assistance and information given during the compilation of this volume by the Earl of Derby, the Earl of Sefton, the Earl of Lathom, Lord Lilford, Mr. C. H. BibbyHesketh, Mr. J. Bromley, Mr. F. W. Brown, Mr. W. T. Browne, Mr. Robert Legh Crosse, Mr. J. Formby, Mr. R. Gladstone, junr., Mr. W. E. Gregson, Mr. Strachan Holme, Mr. James Hornby, Mr. W. F. Irvine, F.S.A., Mr. C. Madeley, Mr. A. S. Mellor, Mr. W. D. Pink, Mr. R. D. Radcliffe, F.S.A., Mr. F. Stapleton-Bretherton, Mrs. Arthur Cecil Tempest, and the Rev. James Wilson, Litt.D.; also by Mr. Harcourt Clare, clerk of the County Council, the town clerk of St. Helens, and the town clerk of Widnes.

To Mr. R. T. Gunton, for taking notes of deeds among the Hatfield MSS. by permission of the late Marquis of Salisbury, thanks are also due.

They likewise wish to express their thanks to Mr. J. P. Rylands, F.S.A., for revising the heraldry.

Their acknowledgements are further due to the Rev. A. H. Drysdale, D.D., and the Rev. J. Mellis, for information as to the Presbyterian churches; to the Rev. W. T. Whitley, LL.D., as to the Baptist churches; and to Mr. J. S. Hodgson and Mr. R. Muschamp as to the Society of Friends.

It is desirable to note the place of deposit or ownership of the following records, which are frequently quoted in this volume. The Hale Charter Roll, an ancient transcript of charters, is at Hale Hall; of Kuerden's manuscript collections, vols. ii to vi are at the College of Arms, and the large folio volume, alphabetically arranged, is in Chetham's Library at Manchester; the Moore deeds are in the Liverpool Museum; of Christopher Towneley's manuscript collections, vols. DD, HH, OO, and the Blundell of Crosby evidences are in Mr. Farrer's possession at Over Kellet, and vol. C 8–13, is in Chetham's Library.

Discrepancies will occasionally be found between the total area of the parishes, here taken from the Ordnance Survey, and the returns of the arable, pasture, and woodland supplied by the Board of Agriculture, the calculations having been made upon different bases.