The parish of Walton on the Hill
Introduction, church and charities

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1907

Pages

5-11

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'The parish of Walton on the Hill: Introduction, church and charities', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3 (1907), pp. 5-11. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41280 Date accessed: 21 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

WALTON ON THE HILL

WEST DERBY BOOTLE CUM LINACRE FORMBY
EVERTON KIRKDALE KIRKBY
WALTON TOXTETH PARK (extra-par.) SIMONSWOOD (extra-par.)
FAZAKERLEY

This extensive parish, occupying the south-western corner of the hundred and county, has a total area of 29,615 acres, (fn. 1) and a population in 1901 which numbered 446,821 persons. (fn. 2) Anciently its area was much larger. Childwall must have been detached before the Norman Conquest, and Sefton before 1200; Liverpool continued to form part of it until 1699. On the other hand, at some time earlier than the Conquest it is probable that Kirkby and Simonswood had been drawn into it, just as in later times Croxteth Park has been erroneously included in and Altcar claimed for it.

Apart from the story of Liverpool, told subsequently, there is little to say of its general history. The castle of West Derby endured less than two centuries; the camp of Prince Rupert at Everton in 1644 connects the parish with the Civil Wars, the effect of which is chiefly illustrated by the confiscations of the parliamentary authorities during their years of power.

Jeremiah Horrocks, the astronomer, was perhaps the most distinguished man who has sprung from it, though many others have been connected with it by their labours.

Formerly it was mainly agricultural. The detached chapelry of Formby had a seaport and fisheries. Simonswood and Toxteth were royal parks. Everton was one of the first portions to be affected by the growing prosperity of Liverpool; its elevated situation offered desirable sites for the suburban residences of the merchants. Now a large part of the parish has become urban; but agriculture still claims the inland portion of West Derby, Fazakerley, Kirkby, and Simonswood; Formby has a growing urban population, but retains its agricultural character.

The following are the acreages at present occupied by arable land, permanent grass, and woods and plantations:—

Arable Grass Woods
Walton on the Hill 8,029 1,231 382
Walton 341 165
Toxteth 74 136
Bootle 113 51
West Derby (rur.) 2,321 1,881
Kirkdale 3
10,881 3,464 382

For the county lay of 1624 the assessment, considered at that time a fair one, was that Walton should pay a twelfth of the sum levied upon the hundred. The townships were arranged so that each group paid one-third, as follows:—1. Walton-cumFazakerley, Kirkby, and Formby, each paying equally; 2. West Derby; 3. Liverpool, Kirkdale, Bootle and Linacre, and Everton, Liverpool paying two-thirds of the sum due from this group. (fn. 3) The more ancient fifteenth had by the seventeenth century become unfair; out of a total of £106 9s. 6d. due from the hundred Walton paid £1 15s. 6½d. Kirkby £1 16s. 4d., Formby £1 3s., Raven Meols 12s., West Derby £2 8s., Liverpool £2 11s. 1¼d., Kirkdale 17s., Bootle 16s. 8d., Everton 14s., a total of £12 13s. 7¾d. (fn. 4)

CHURCH (fn. 5)

The church of Our Lady is at the present day of greater historical than architectural interest. The site is ancient, and a church here is mentioned in Domesday, but its chief claim to distinction lies in the fact that it is the mother church of Liverpool, St. Nicholas's Church having been a chapel of Walton till 1699.

The later history of Walton church is as follows: The nave was rebuilt in 1743, the chancel in 1810, and the tower in 1828–31. In 1840 the north side of the nave was remodelled, and the chancel rebuilt for the second time in 1843. No part of the structure, therefore, has any pretensions to antiquity. In the chancel is a reading desk dated 1639, all other fittings being quite modern. Near the vestry door is an inscribed brass plate (fn. 6) recording the establishment (in 1601) of a charity by Thomas Berry. Ten verses, beginning with letters of his name (Thomas Beri), are followed by the couplet:—

Xij penie loaves to xii poore foulkes
Geve everie Sabothe day for aye.

The font is a relic of the ancient church, now restored to use after many years of desecration, having been turned out of the church in 1754, and used as a mounting stone by the door of a neighbouring inn. It has a circular bowl, on which are six arched panels containing figure sculpture, the intervening spaces having floral patterns. The figure-subjects are damaged and indistinct, but one shows the temptation of Adam and Eve—as on the font at Kirkby—and another has been interpreted as the Flight into Egypt. The bowl of the font only is ancient. (fn. 7)

The Registers begin in 1586. (fn. 8)

ADVOWSON

The church had in 1066 an endowment of one ploughland in Bootle; (fn. 9) probably it had a further endowment in Walton itself, where there is a considerable acreage of glebe. (fn. 10) Geoffrey the sheriff about 1093 granted the church of St. Mary at Walton to the monks of Shrewsbury, on the day of its dedication; (fn. 11) this was confirmed by Henry I some thirty years later. (fn. 12) The right remained with the monastery until 1470, being then purchased by Thomas Molyneux of Sefton, (fn. 13) and descended with this manor until 1747, when Sir William Heathcote purchased it. (fn. 14) It was again sold in 1810 to John Leigh, of Sandhills in Kirkdale, whose descendant, Mr. J. C. Gerard Leigh, a minor, is the patron. (fn. 15)

The vicarage was ordained in 1326, when Edward II confirmed the grant of the church to the abbey. (fn. 16) The rectory was not appropriated, and both rector and vicar continued to be appointed down to 1890, when the vicarage was suppressed, its revenues supplementing those of the newly founded bishopric of Liverpool. (fn. 17)

Count Roger of Poitou gave the demesne tithes of Walton to the abbey of St. Martin of Séez; (fn. 18) a composition was afterwards made between Stephen de Walton and the prior of Lancaster. (fn. 19) In 1291 the revenue of the church was estimated at £44. (fn. 20) Fifty years later the ninth of sheaves, wool, &c., was valued at 54 marks, being £8 less; but the borough of Liverpool was separately taxed. (fn. 21) In 1535 the gross income was estimated at £77 5s. 6d.; various payments, including a pension of 20s. to the abbot of Shrewsbury, reduced this to £69 16s. 10d.; the vicarage was valued at £6 13s. 4d. (fn. 22)

The Commonwealth surveyors of 1650 recommended the subdivision of the parish, leaving the townships of Walton, Bootle, and Kirkdale to the old church. There was a parsonage house worth £4 2s. 4d. a year; the tithes of the township they valued at £65 12s. 4d. The vicarage house, with its yard, orchard and garden, was worth 30s. (fn. 23)

Bishop Gastrell about 1720 found the rectory worth £400 a year, and the vicarage £100; Liverpool had then been cut off from the parish. (fn. 24) The gross value of the rectory is now stated as £1,400; (fn. 25) a large part of the glebe has been covered with dwelling houses.

The rectory was divided by an Act of Parliament passed in 1843. (fn. 26)

The following is a list of the rectors:—

Institution Name Presented by Cause of Vacancy
oc. 1192 Stephen (fn. 27)
c. 1206 Robert de Walton (fn. 28)
William, son of Robert (fn. 29) King John
oc. 1240 William de Walton (fn. 30)
oc. 1272 Robert (fn. 31)
4 June, 1311 Mr. Thomas de Chorleton (fn. 32) Shrewsbury Abbey
22 April, 1319 Mr. Ralph de Shrewsbury (fn. 33) " res. T. de Chorleton
23 Dec. 1328 Simon de Clopton (fn. 34) " res. R. de Shrewsbury
5 Mar. 1330–1 Thomas de Clopton (fn. 35) " res. S. de Clopton
14 Oct. 1349 John de Bulkington (fn. 36) " d. T. de Clopton
31 Dec. 1356 Mr. Richard de Winwick (fn. 37) " res. J. de Bulkington
2 Nov. 1409 Richard de Stanley (fn. 38) The bishop d. R. de Winwick
5 July, 1435 Ralph de Stanley (fn. 39) Shrewsbury Abbey res. R. de Stanley
17 Dec. 1459 Thomas Fairclough, D.D. (fn. 40) The king d. R. de Stanley
25 Sept. 1471 John Molyneux, M.A. (fn. 41) Shrewsbury Abbey d. T. Fairclough
20 June, 1485 James Stanley, D. Can. L. (fn. 42) T. and R. Molyneux d. J. Molyneux
10 Aug. 1506 Richard Dudley, D.D. (fn. 43) Jas. Molyneux res. J. Stanley
14 July, 1528 Mr. Edward Molyneux (fn. 44) Sir W. Molyneux res. R. Dudley
3 Jan. 1535–6 Richard Gwent, LL.D. (fn. 45) " d. E. Molyneux
— 1543 Anthony Molyneux, D.D. (fn. 46) (d. R. Gwent)
Sept. 1557 Anthony Molyneux (fn. 47) d. A. Molyneux
15 Oct. 1565 Alexander Molyneux (fn. 48) Sir R. Molyneux
1 Feb. 1630–1 Thomas Legh, D.D. (fn. 49) Sir P. Legh d. A. Molyneux
29 June 1639 Andrew Clare, D.D. (fn. 50) Lord Molyneux d. T. Legh
1 July 1639 The King
c. 1645 William Ward, M.A. (fn. 51)
13 Oct. 1655 Robert Eaton (fn. 52) The Protector
5 Sept. 1660 John Heywood, D.D. (fn. 53) Earl and Countess of Southampton
9 Nov. 1671 Thomas Pawlet, B.D. (fn. 54) Countess of Southampton. d. J. Heywood
10 April, 1690 Richard Richmond, M.A. (fn. 55) Dr. S. Richmond d. T. Pawlet
6 April, 1722 Silvester Richmond, M.A. (fn. 56) Earl of Cardigan d. R. Richmond
25 Oct. 1768 Henry Heathcote, M.A. (fn. 57) Earl of Macclesfield d. S. Richmond
8 Feb. 1803 Samuel Heathcote, M.A. (fn. 58) Sir W. Heathcote d. H. Heathcote
14 June, 1847 Thomas Gerard Leigh, M.A. (fn. 59) Jn. Shaw Leigh d. S. Heathcote
23 Jan. 1868 Richard Leigh, M.A. (fn. 60) " d. T. G. Leigh
3 June, 1884 James Gerard Leigh, M.A. (fn. 61) Madame de Falbe d. R. Leigh
27 April, 1906 George Hardwicke Spooner, M.A. (fn. 62) res. J. G. Leigh

The following have been vicars; they have always been presented by the rectors:

Institution Name Presented by Cause of Vacancy
3 May, 1327 John de Walton (fn. 63)
27 Dec. 1329 Thomas de Knighton (fn. 64) res. J. de Sutton
10 Jan. 1348–9 John de Eccleshall (fn. 65) d. Thomas
16 April, 1350 John de Barre (fn. 66) res. J. de Eccleshall
23 Feb. 1350–1 Richard de Sutton (fn. 67) res. J. de Barre
2 April, 1364 William del Hall (fn. 68) d. R. de Sutton
oc. 1391–4 Roger Winter (fn. 69)
1 Mar. 1404–5 John de Wollaton (fn. 70)
3 Oct. 1418 John Ironmonger (fn. 71)
Thomas Blackburne
26 June, 1455 William Whittingham (fn. 72) d. T. Blackburne
oc. 1472 William Bolton (fn. 73)
6 Aug. 1511 Ralph Radcliffe (fn. 74) d. W. Bolton
2 May, 1528 Thomas Norris, B.A. (fn. 75) d. R. Radcliffe
— 1550 Thomas Allen (fn. 76)
oc. 1562 John Finch (fn. 77)
oc. 1565 Robert Halsall (fn. 78)
Mar. 1571–2 William Hesketh (fn. 79) d. R. Halsall
2 Dec. 1586 Peter Hey (fn. 80) d. W. Hesketh
9 May, 1624 Nevill Kay, B.A. (fn. 81) d. P. Hay
30 July, 1654 Henry Finch (fn. 82)
29 Jan. 1662–3 John Walton, M.A. (fn. 83)
7 Sept. 1665 Thomas Marsden, B.D. (fn. 84)
1 Aug. 1720 Silvester Richmond, M.A. (fn. 85) d. T. Marsden
7 Nov. 1722 Thomas Brooke, M.A. (fn. 86) res. S. Silvester
28 Aug. 1757 Richard Richmond, LL.B. (fn. 87) d. T. Brooke
13 April, 1780 Miles Atkinson, B.A. (fn. 88) d. Bp. Richmond
14 Nov. 1788 Henry Heathcote, B.D. (fn. 89) res. M. Atkinson
5 Sept. 1816 Thomas Moss, M.A. (fn. 90) res. H. Heathcote
11 Mar. 1844 Thos. Gerard Leigh, M.A. (fn. 91) d. T. Moss
23 Dec. 1847 Thomas Hornby, M.A. (fn. 92) res. T. G. Leigh

The list of clergy calls for little comment; some of the pre-Reformation clergy, like Ralph de Shrewsbury, were men of note; of the later Dr. Clare seems the most distinguished.

From the Clergy List of 1541 (fn. 93) it would appear that besides the pluralist rector, the vicar, and five chantry priests—one at Walton and four at Liverpool— there were four others attached to the parish, two being paid by the vicar, and probably serving Formby, Kirkby, and West Derby chapels, and two living de stipite. The visitation list of 1548 does not mention the rector, but records the vicar and eleven others, including the five cantarists and two of those in the 1541 list. In 1554 the rector was absent, three of the foregoing clergy were dead, one was absent, another denied he was curate, and the vicar and four others seem to have been in charge; three had been chantry priests at Walton and Liverpool, while the other had migrated from Huyton. In 1562 the rector appeared by proxy and the curate in person; another priest was absent, and the only other mentioned was the Formby chaplain. Thus it seems clear that the services at Kirkby and West Derby were only performed irregularly, as those at Liverpool would have to be kept up by the curate of the parish church. In the following year the rector was 'beyond the sea,' the vicar was ill, but the curates at Liverpool and Formby appeared. In 1565 again the rector did not appear, the Liverpool curate's name is crossed out, he having probably resigned, and the vicar seems to have been in sole charge of this vast parish, with its church and four chapels. (fn. 94) In 1590 the only 'preacher' in the parish was at Liverpool, the rector and vicar of Walton and minister at Kirkby not being such. (fn. 95) About 1610 the rector seems to have been non-resident, the vicar was 'no preacher' and the four chapels, including Liverpool, were 'supplied with reading ministers.' (fn. 96)

Under the Commonwealth an improvement was manifest, the chapels-of-ease being attended to, and the rector and vicar being 'godly, able ministers.' (fn. 97) The effect of the Restoration was to bring back the old order to some extent; the existing rector's presentation was judged invalid, and he was displaced in 1660; two years later the vicar was expelled for nonconformity, and Liverpool, which had been made a separate parish, was reunited with Walton until 1699. During the last century the parish has been divided into a large number of separate districts, each with its own church and clergy.

At Walton church there was only one regularly endowed chantry; it had been founded by Mr. John Molyneux, rector from 1471 to 1485, and part of the endowment was a charge of 13s. 4d. on the rectory; various lands brought in 40s. additional. (fn. 98)

Nothing further is known of the chapel of St. Paulinus mentioned in some thirteenth and fourteenth century deeds. (fn. 99)

A grammar school was founded in or before 1613.

CHARITIES

For the charities of the whole parish there is no report later than that of 1828; but official inquiries were made in 1901 and 1903 for those portions not included within the county boroughs of Liverpool and Bootle. (fn. 100) Walton township shared several charities with adjoining parts of the parish; (fn. 101) the principal is that of Thomas Fazakerley, who in 1696 gave several closes of land in West Derby for the benefit of the poor of Walton, Fazakerley, and West Derby. (fn. 102) There are a number of endowments for the poor of Formby, and some have been lost. (fn. 103) Kirkby has some special benefactions, (fn. 104) and shares with West Derby in the apprenticing funds of £167 a year arising from donations of Eleanor Gleast and Thomas Aspe. (fn. 105) West Derby itself has a few special endowments. (fn. 106) In connexion with the Old Toxteth chapel there was, in 1828, a sum of £2 a year available for the poor. (fn. 107)

Footnotes

1 Including the extra-parochial districts of Simonswood and Toxteth, together 6,224 acres.
2 Almost all within the boroughs of Liverpool and Bootle.
3 M. Gregson, Fragments (ed. Harland), 16.
4 Ibid. 18.
5 For a view (about 1816) see Gregson, op. cit. 140.
6 Thornely, Lancs. Brasses, 243.
7 Gregson, op. cit. 142; Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), xvii, 60.
8 A volume, 1586 to 1663, has been printed by the Lancs. Parish Reg. Soc.
9 Vol. I, p. 284b.
10 In 1639 the rector's lands in Walton were estimated at 60 acres, long measure; Chorley Surv. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.) p. 53. At present the acreage in Walton is said to be 90 statute acres and 17 in Fazakerley, with outlying lands in Everton and West Derby; 112½ acres in all. The vicarial glebe amounts to 27½ acres.
11 Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. p. 269. The words of the charter might imply that a new dedication had been made; more probably they refer to the anniversary festival. The gift was made for the benefactor, his wife, and their little son Achard, whom he had made a monk at Shrewsbury.
12 Ibid. p. 271. There was a further confirmation in 1141–2 by Ranulf Gernons, earl of Chester, and by Henry II in 1155; ibid. 277, 284.
In 1273, in a plea of next presentation to the church, then vacant, Nicholas de la Hose granted to the abbot his presentation for that turn; Assize R. 1341, m. 26d. Probably Nicholas, who had newly received the manor, thought that the advowson of the church belonged to it. In 1292–3 the abbot was called upon by the king to show his right to the advowson, King John having presented in time of peace (Plac. de quo Warr. p. 605). Later still, in 1350, the church being vacant, John of Gaunt, on behalf of the king, claimed the presentation (De Banc. R. 362, m. 153).
13 On 1 June, 1470, the abbot and convent granted to John Dutton and other trustees the advowson of Walton church, £80 being paid by Thomas Molyneux in part payment. It being alleged that Lord Stanley had a similar bargain as to the advowson, it was expressly declared that neither he nor any other man had any promise or covenant about it, 'except such motions as the said Thomas Lord Stanley had with our predecessor that last deceased; all which motions and covenants, if any were made by our said predecessor, were by his death void' (Croxteth D. Bb, ii, 2–4).
A vacancy occurring in 1471 the abbot of Shrewsbury proved his right to the patronage against the bishop of Lichfield and Roger Walton (Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 38, m. 20; Croxteth D. Bb, ii, 6). John Molyneux having been presented by the abbot, the Stanleys put forward their claim, and in 1472 the arbitrators awarded that James Stanley, clerk, should resign his claim to the rectory, and allow John Molyneux to enjoy it peaceably (Ibid. Genl. i, 58). As a James Stanley was presented at the next vacancy, there was probably some compromise.
14 The Molyneuxes not being entitled to present, owing to their religion, usually sold the next presentations. On 29 September, 1675, Caryll Viscount Molyneux and William his son and heir granted the next presentation to Silvester Richmond (Croxteth D, Bb, ii, 7–9). The Molyneuxes farmed considerable portions of the Walton tithes, e.g. in 1639 they had a lease of Sandfield Barn, West Derby (Ibid. Bb, iii, 7).
Deeds relating to the sale to Sir William Heathcote are enrolled in the Com. Pleas; Trin. and Mich. 21 Geo. II, R. 76, m. 48d.; R. 82, m. 49; R. 83, m. 51.
15 Raines' notes in Gastrell, Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc), ii, 222.
John Leigh was a well-known lawyer of Liverpool; he was born at Appleton in Widnes in 1752, and died in 1823; inscription in Walton church. Two of his sons were rectors, and another rector was a grandson. His eldest son, John Shaw Leigh, settled at Luton, and died in 1871; his son, John Gerard Leigh, died four years later, having granted the advowson to his wife, afterwards Madame de Falbe. She died in 1899, and Captain Henry Gerard Leigh succeeded, but died in the following year. John Leigh married a sister of Dr. James (son of Richard) Gerard, who was for a time the owner of Rainhill manor-house. From information kindly furnished by the Rev. Canon Leigh, lately rector.
16 Gastrell, Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 223–4. By this the rector nominated the vicar, and the latter appointed the curates of the several chapels; but by 1720 these curates were appointed by the rectors. In 1715 the proportion of duty to be performed by the rector and vicar was settled. There was a second ordination of the vicarage in the fifteenth century (Lich. Epis. Reg. x, fol. 51).
17 By an Act supplementing the Liverpool Bishopric Act the vicar's income is paid to the Eccles. Com. who give a proportion of the combined rector's and vicar's incomes to the bishop.
18 Lancs. Pipe R. p. 290. This grant had a confirmation from Richard I; p. 299.
19 Lanc. Church (Chet. Soc), i, 112; made between 1188 and 1198, as the name of Hugh, bishop of Lichfield, proves. There had been an earlier dispute, when the demesne tithes of Walton had been resigned to Shrewsbury in an arbitration by Bernard, bishop of St. David's (Lancs. Pipe R. p. 276).
20 Pope Nich. Tax. (Rec. Com.), p. 249.
21 Nonarum Inq. (Rec. Com.), p. 41. The separate values were—West Derby, £12 11s. 6d.; Walton, £6 12s. 5d.; Kirkby, £6 12s. 5d.; Formby with Raven Meols and Ainsdale, £1 15s. 4d.; Everton, £2 11s. 8d.; Kirkdale, £3 6s. 8d.; Bootle with Linacre. £1 10s. The glebe of the church was worth 26s. 9d. and small tithes and oblations pertaining to the altarage £4.
22 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), v, 221. The lands, &c. brought in 36s. 10d. and the tithes £75 8s. 8d. The principal charge was the fee of Thomas Mossock the bailiff, £5. The vicar had the oblations and small tithes. There is an 'extent' of the benefice made in 1561, printed in Ch. Gds. (Chet. Soc), p. 95n.
23 Commonwealth Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), p. 81.
24 Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc), ii, 221. A paper at Croxteth of somewhat later date estimates the parsonage house and 36 acres of glebe as worth £100 a year, and the tithes £828. The curates of West Derby, Formby, and Kirkby were paid £20 16s., £20, and £20 respectively.
25 Liverpool Dioc. Cal.
26 By this private act (6 and 7 Vict. cap. 16) West Derby became an independent rectory.
27 Lanc. Ch. i. 112; also Whalley Coucher (Chet. Soc), i, 40.
28 Lancs. Pipe R. 354; Croxteth D. X. iv, 2.
29 William and Henry de Walton occur in a list of clergy about this time; Lanc. Church, i, 120. It is known that a William, son of Robert, one of the king's clerks, was presented to Walton by King John; Plac. de quo Warr. (Rec. Com.), 605.
30 In 1240 Whalley Coucher, ii, 581 (see also i, 143, ii, 490); in 1246, Assize R. 404, m. 1 d.; Dods. MS. xxxix, fol. 138, n. 4. He was married, probably before his appointment to the rectory, and his son William, known as William de Kirkdale, became rector of Sefton about 1280; see the account of Kirkdale.
31 Whalley Coucher, ii, 585. From the dispute as to the patronage it appears there was a vacancy in 1273.
32 Lich. Epis. Reg. i, fol. 59b. The new rector was a 'clerk'; he was sworn to resign if, upon inquiry, it was found that the abbot and convent of Shrewsbury were not the true patrons.
In 1327, and subsequent years, he claimed debts from a number of his late parishioners; De Banc. R. 272, m. 15d, etc. At this time Dr. Thomas de Charlton, canon of York, archdeacon of Wells and Northumberland, and king's treasurer, was promoted by the pope to the bishopric of Hereford; Le Neve, Fasti, i, 461.
33 Croxteth D. Bb. ii, 1, from the reg. of Bp. Walter Langton. He presented the vicar in 1327; Lich. Epis. Reg. ii, fol. 102. He was chancellor of the university of Oxford in 1328, and became bishop of Bath and Wells in the following year; Le Neve, Fasti, iii, 464; i, 137. There is a notice of him in Dict. Nat. Biog.
34 Lich. Epis. Reg. ii, fol. 104. He was a 'clerk,' and in the following Feb. had licence to study for seven years according to the canon; Ibid. fol. 104b. He became canon of Lichfield, and died in 1349; Le Neve, Fasti, i, 619, 636.
35 Lich. Epis. Reg. ii, fol. 106b; he exchanged with his predecessor, who became rector of Ideshale (or Shifnal). See Eyton, Shropshire, ii, 336. He also was a canon of Lichfield until his death in 1349; Le Neve, Fasti, i, 589, 602.
36 Lich. Epis. Reg. ii, fol. 124b; an acolyte. His name appears as Bulketon on presentation, and Bulkington later.
37 Croxteth D. Bb. ii, 1; he exchanged the rectory of Nether Wallop with John de Bulkington. In January, 1356–7, a dispensation for study was granted by the bishop to Master Richard de Winwick, rector of Walton, then a subdeacon; Lich. Epis. Reg. ii, fol. 15, 15b; he was ordained deacon four years afterwards; Ibid, v, fol. 82b. He was brother and executor of John de Winwick, rector of Wigan, etc., and became canon of Lincoln about 1376; he died 12 December, 1408, and was buried in the cathedral, where a brass formerly commemorated him; Le Neve, Fasti, ii, 163, 197; Peck, Desiderata Curiosa, viii, p. 22, n. 48. He demised the rectory in 1368 for 1000 marks to William, son of Adam de Liverpool; De Banc. R. 450, m. 169 d.
In the Cal. of Papal Letters are some particulars concerning him. In 1350, being in his twentieth year, he received from Clement VI a dispensation to hold a benefice with cure of souls; iii, 335. He was made rector of Bocking and canon of York, and in 1352 received an extension of the dispensation; iii, 434. In 1364 Urban V sent letters to the bishop of Gap to procure the release of Richard de Winwick, canon of York, William Molyneux, clerk, a member of his household, and Thomas de Eltonhead, canon of Penkridge, who had been seized and plundered in Vienne on their way from the Roman court (then at Avignon), and were held to ransom; Richard and William had been taken to the castle of Sigoyer; iv, 9. At the beginning of 1365 a safe conduct was granted them; iv, 51.
38 Lich. Epis. Reg. vii, fol. 98b; he was collated by the bishop, the benefice having been vacant nearly a year, and is described as 'clerk.' He was still rector in 1418, when he presented a vicar, but became rector of Winwick in 1423. He was also archdeacon of Chest.
39 The date is from Croxteth D. Bb. ii, 1; but Ralph Stanley was rector as early as 1427, according to Kuerden, ii, fol. 245b, n. 1348.
40 Lich. Epis. Reg. xii, fol. 98; Henry VI presented, the temporalities of the abbey of Shrewsbury being in his hands.
On his appointment Dr. Fairclough complained to the bishop of the state in which he found the church. In the chancel the books, vestments, and other ornaments were very defective, and in the rectory house there were dilapidations, the result of the neglect of the preceding rector. The bishop accordingly commissioned Dr. Ralph Duckworth, vicar of Prescot, and Edmund Farington, rector of Halsall, to inquire into the matter, giving them authority to sequestrate the goods and revenues due to the late rector until satisfaction was done; Lich. Reg. xii, fol. 125.
Thomas Fairclough 'Doctor in Decrees,' was prayed for at Standish as a benefactor of Robert Pilkington, chantry priest there, who died in 1498; Raines, Chantries (Chet. Soc), ii, 176.
41 Lich. Epis. Reg. xii. fol. 106. He was also rector of Sefton and canon of Lichfield; he founded the chantry at Walton.
42 Lich. Epis. Reg. xii, fol. 119b; a clerk. He was also warden of Manch. etc., and became bishop of Ely in 1506. The patrons were Thomas and Robert Molyneux, by grant of the abbot and convent of Shrewsbury to them and others then deceased. See Foster, Alumni Oxon.
43 Lich. Epis. Reg. xiii–xiv. fol. 54 b; the patron was then rector of Sefton, and no doubt acting as trustee. The Act Books at Chest. give William Molyneux as patron; he was lord of the manor. Richard Dudley had been principal of St. Mary Hall, Oxf. in 1502; he was prebendary of London, Lincoln, and York; and died in 1536; Le Neve, Fasti, iii, 584, &c.; Foster, Alumni.
44 Lich. Epis. Reg. xiii–xiv, fol. 63b. He was brother of the patron, and held Sefton and other benefices; on being instituted to Walton he swore to pay the retiring rector a pension of £80 a year, which must have been nearly the full value.
45 Lich. Epis. Reg. xiii–xiv. fol. 35. He paid first-fruits 16 January; Lancs. and Ches. Rec. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), ii, 407. He was dean of the Arches Court and archdeacon of London, Huntingdon, and Brecknock, and held other dignities; and died in London 1543; Wood, Athenae; Foster, Alumni Oxon.; Le Neve, Fasti, iii, 323, etc. His will is in P.C.C.
46 He paid first-fruits 4 August, 1543. He was also rector of Sefton. An account of the ornaments of the church in 1552 is printed in Church Gds. (Chet. Soc), 93.
47 Act Books at Chest. Godson of the preceding rector. An Anthony Molyneux was scholar of Corpus Christi Coll. Oxf. in 1555; B.A. 1558; Foster, Alumni. From his refusal to appear at the visitation in 1559 (Gee, Elizabethan Clergy), and his departure to beyond the sea early in Elizabeth's reign it may perhaps be inferred that he would not conform to the new religious order.
48 Chest. Dioc. Reg. He paid firstfruits 1 November, 1564–5. He was a younger son of Sir Richard Molyneux, the patron. As he held the rectory for sixty-six years he must have been very young at his appointment. In 1591 he was described as unlearned and not used to say service or administer sacraments; Kenvon MSS. p. 601. His wife Elizabeth was buried at Walton 26 Dec. 1614, and he himself was buried there 1 Feb. 1630–1; a note by the vicar in the register states that he 'gave to the poor of Walton parish £40, and gave to the free school wages of Walton £20, and his theology books to the vicar for his life and to the rectors succeeding successively to be kept from one to the other for aye'; Walton Reg. (Lancs. Par. Reg. Soc), i, 126.
There occurs in 1571; a presentation by the queen to the rectory of Walton, in consequence of which William Haworth, 'preacher of the word of God,' was instituted on 12 July, and this a month later caused Rector Molyneux to make search in the bishop's registry for his own presentation. Nothing appears to have resulted from Haworth's institution, for next year Alexander Molyneux was rector. The queen's mandate is at Chest.
49 The institutions from this time are given from the institution books, P.R.O. as printed in Lancs, and Ches. Antiq. Notes. There are good accounts of the modern rectors, etc. in Baines, Lancs. (ed. Croston), v. 100–103.
Dr. Legh, who paid his first-fruits 11 Feb. 1630–1, was fourth son of the patron for that turn; educated at Brasenose Coll. Oxf.; D.D. 1634; also rector of Sefton; Foster, Alumni Oxon. The Leghs of Lyme descend from him.
50 He paid first-fruits 24 Sept. 1639. The second institution was necessary by reason of the minority of the patron, Viscount Molyneux. Dr. Clare was of Trin. Coll. Camb. incorporated at Oxf. as M.A. 1624; rector of Ickenham, 1635; Foster, Alumni. Being a staunch royalist he was expelled from his rectory by the Parl. and went abroad, John Evelyn noting that he preached before Charles II in Sir Richard Brown's chapel in Paris on 12 November, 1651, 'the first Sunday His Majesty came to chapel after his escape' from Worcester. His wife had an allowance of a fifth from the rectory of Walton; Commonwealth Ch. Surv. 82, etc.
51 He had been rector of Warrington from 1621. On 18 March, 1644–5, the committee of the Assembly of Divines for examination of ministers was desired to examine his fitness 'to have the sequestration of the rectory and church of Walton … and to officiate the cure there'; Plund. Mins. Accts. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 1, 143. He signed the 'Harmonious Consent' in 1648, and was minister there when the survey of 1650 was made. He was buried at Walton 1 March, 1654–5, according to the registers.
52 The rectory of Walton standing 'sequestered from Dr. Clare, late rector thereof,' His Highness nominated Mr. Robert Eaton, who from that time acted as rector; Plund. Mins. Accts, ii, 93, 208. He was of Cambridge, but created M.A. at Oxford in 1653; Foster, Alumni. On the Restoration Robert Eaton attempted to obtain the royal confirmation, a patent being issued on 13 August, 1660, appointing him; Pat. 12 Chas. II, pt. iii, n. 94. He became chaplain to Lord Delamere and died in Manch. in 1701; Foster, quoting Calamy, ii, 380; Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconf. iii, 218, 288.
53 The countess of Southampton, patron, was widow of Richard Lord Molyneux. The new rector was educated at Corpus Christi Coll. Oxf. being elected fellow; M.A. 1639; D.D. 1666; Foster, Alumni. For his pedigree see Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc), 140. A grant by the crown was also given, in which the vacancy is described as by the death of Dr. Andrew Clare; Pat. 12 Chas. II, pt. ii, n. 39. The Act Books at Chest, assign the same reason for the vacancy; they give the date of institution as 17 Dec. Thus Ward and Eaton were treated as mere intruders.
54 One of this name was fellow of Trin. Coll. Camb.; M.A. 1665.
55 Eldest son of the patron for that turn, Silvester Richmond, M.D.; he was also rector of Sefton. Of Brasenose Coll. Oxf.; M.A., 1678; Foster, Alumni. There is an account of the family in Fishwick, Hist. of Garstang (Chet. Soc).
56 Lord Cardigan was patron for Lord Molyneux's life by purchase; Gastrell, Notitia, ii, 221. The new rector was son of the preceding, and had been vicar for two years. Of Brasenose Coll. Oxf., M.A. 1719; Foster, Alumni.
57 The earl of Macclesfield was patron for a term of years. Henry Heathcote was a brother-in-law and cousin, being son of Sir William Heathcote by Elizabeth, daughter of the first earl. He was educated at Exeter Coll. Oxf., M.A. 1759; Foster, Alumni.
This rector, in conjunction with his son as vicar, made strenuous efforts to increase the money value of the rectory by claiming tithes for agistment, potatoes, and gardens. As corn was being grown to a diminishing extent the tithes were also diminishing. There are at Croxteth papers concerning these claims.
58 He was son of the patron; educated at Queen's Coll. Oxf., M.A. 1799; Foster, Alumni. He resided chiefly in Hants. and about 1803 counsel's opinion was sought as to the obligation of residence. It was stated: 'Since the purchase by the Heathcote family, the revenues (of considerable value) of the rectory have been considered as the fund to provide for a younger son. The first Sir William gave it to one of his younger sons, and the present Sir William has also given it. The present Sir William when he gave the rectory to his son, Mr. Samuel Heathcote, the now rector, had no idea that the duty of residence was in any degree obligatory, and it would be extremely inconvenient, and tend very much to break in upon the enjoyments of the family were Mr. Samuel Heathcote obliged to reside at so great a distance from Sir William's seat in Hampshire'; Walton papers in Chester Dioc. Reg.
59 A younger brother of the patron. Educated at Brasenose Coll. Oxf., M.A. 1827; Foster, Alumni.
60 Younger brother of the last rector; previously rector of Halsall; educated at Brasenose Coll. Oxf., M.A. 1835; Foster, Alumni.
61 Madame de Falbe, wife of the Danish ambassador, presented as widow of John Gerard Leigh. Canon Leigh is a son of the preceding rector, and was educated at Christ Church, Oxf., M.A. 1871; vicar of Maghull, 1869; hon. canon of Liverpool, 1892; rector of Halsall.
62 Educated at Pembroke Coll. Oxf., M.A. 1876; formerly vicar of Litherland (1879) and rector of Woolton (1885). Hon. canon of Liverpool 1896; archdeacon of Warrington, 1906.
63 Lich. Epis. Reg. ii, fol. 102. Probably the 'John de Sutton' named at the appointment of the next vicar.
64 Ibid. ii, fol. 104b.
65 Ibid. ii, fol. 123.
66 Lich. Epis. Reg. ii, fol. 126b; he was a priest.
67 Ibid. ii, fol. 128; the vacancy was 'by demise of John de Barre, last vicar, voluntarily made.' The new vicar was dean of Warrington in 1354; Assize R. 436.
68 Lich. Epis. Reg. iv, fol. 81b; he was presented by John de Ashton and William son of Adam de Liverpool, proxies of R. de Winwick, the rector.
69 He is mentioned as vicar in 1391; Croxeth D. Bb. iv, 29; also in 1394; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle 3, m. 22.
70 Lich. Epis. Reg. vii, fol. 94. In 1452 Richard Jankinson of Little Woolton described himself as 'cousin and heir of John Wolton, lately vicar of Walton'; Moore D. n. 576.
71 Lich. Epis. Reg. viii, fol. 20. John Ironmonger was still vicar of Walton in 1444; Croxteth D. Bb, i, 16.
72 Lich. Epis. Reg. xi, fol. 38b.
73 He occurs in 1472 in Harl. MS. 2112, fol. 122, n. 210.
74 Lich. Epis. Reg. xiii–xiv, fol. 56b. The Act Books at Chester give the date as 21 July, 1511.
75 Lich. Epis. Reg. xiii–xiv, fol. 63b.
76 He paid his first-fruits 3 July, 1550; Lancs. and Ches. Rec. ii, 408. He appeared at the visitation of 1554.
77 He appeared at the visitations of 1562 and 1563; on the latter occasion he was ill. John Finch became rector of Sefton in 1564.
78 He was vicar at the visitation in 1565. In his will, proved at Chester in 1572, he is described as 'vicar of Walton'; he bequeathed 40s. to Walton church and 6s. 8d. each to the chapels at West Derby and Formby.
79 Chest. Dioc. Reg.
80 Act Book at Chest. He was buried at Walton 10 April 1621. The registers begin with his appointment.
81 He was no doubt a Puritan, appending his name to the 'Harmonious Consent' of 1648. He was buried at Walton 15 June, 1654, as appears from the registers.
82 In Plund. Mins. Accts. ii, 208, the date of nomination is given as 25 November, 1657; but in the registers it is stated that Henry Finch, born in Standish in 1633, succeeded in 1654; Walton Reg. i, 190. After 1662 he became the minister of Birch Hall, and assisted Calamy with his account of the ejected clergy. Dict. Nat. Biog.
83 Of Brasenose Col. Oxf., M.A. 1642; Foster, Alumni.
84 He was a correspondent of Roger Kenyon's, and several of his letters are printed in Kenyon MSS. (Hist. MSS. Com.); he is also frequently mentioned in N. Blundell's Diary. He was appointed one of the king's preachers in 1690. He was educated at Brasenose Coll. Oxf. during the Commonwealth regime; M.A. 1661; Foster, Alumni; Wood, Athenae, ii, 817; M.A. at Camb. comitiis regiis, 1690.
85 Son of the rector, whom he succeeded in 1722.
86 Son of Sir Thomas Brooke, of Norton Priory; Ormerod, Ches. (ed. Helsby), i, 685. Educated at Trin. Coll. Camb., M.A. 1720. He was also rector of St. Mary's, Chest., from 1737 to 1744; Earwaker, St. Mary's, 95.
87 Son of the rector; he became bishop of Sodor and Man in 1753, retaining Walton. He was educated at St. John's Coll. Camb., LL.D. 1758. There is an interesting account of him, chiefly from W. Cole, in the Admissions to St. John's College (ed. Scott), iii, 120, 561–3, in which it is stated that he was an eloquent preacher, and in 1764 published Forty Sermons and Discourses. Cole says: 'His father was always necessitous. The son was of St. John's College, but never fellow. He quitted and returned to take his LL.D. degree, and lived in college in a most showy and expensive manner, borrowing money of any one who had it or had it to lend… . He died in Cecil Street in the Strand and (was) buried in that parish church, quite insolvent, as I am informed.' See also Moore, Sodor and Man, 247–51.
88 Of Peterhouse, Camb., B.A. 1763. He became vicar of Kippax, near Leeds, first minister of St. Paul's Church, Leeds, 1793, and lecturer at the parish church; he died in 1811. There is a portrait of him in Whitaker, Loidis and Elmete, 69.
89 Son of the rector. Educated at Wadham Coll. Oxf., M.A. 1791; B.D. 1802; Foster, Alumni.
90 Of University Coll. Oxf., M.A. 1789. Foster, Alumni. He had been 'lecturer' at St. John's, Liverpool.
91 Succeeded to the rectory.
92 Son of Thomas Hornby of Kirkham; educated at Christ Church, Oxford; M.A. 1828; Foster, Alumni. He died 22 Dec. 1890, the vicarage becoming extinct.
93 Printed by the Rec. Soc. of Lancs. and Ches. Misc. iii, 15.
94 These facts are from the visit. lists in the bishop's registry at Chest.
95 Gibson, Lydiate Hall, 249, quoting S.P. Dom. Eliz. ccxxxv. n. 4.
96 Kenyon MSS. (Hist. MSS. Com.), 13. A 'reading minister' was a layman licensed to read Morning and Evening Prayer. At the visit. of 1609 one Proudlove was a 'preacher' at Walton.
97 Commonwealth Ch. Surv. 81.
98 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), v, 221; Robert Kirkby, priest. Raines, Chant. (Chet. Soc.), 80; Robert Fazakerley, priest. There was no plate. In Canon Raines' notes is a detailed account of the founder's funeral expenses.
The chantry lands were given by Queen Mary to the Savoy Hospital, which she refounded; they were leased to the Andertons of Lostock; Anderton D. (C. Stonor), n. 8, 10.
99 Kuerden MSS. (Coll. of Arms), iii, W 10, n. 13, 1, 10; ranging from 1240 to 1325.
100 According to the 1828 report there were no charities for Everton; Kirkdale and Bootle shared in some of the Walton ones, as mentioned below.
101 Benefactions amounting to £100, left between 1630 and 1735, had been lost before 1828.
Ellen Johnson alias Jameson in 1775 left a charge of 20s. on a house in Tithebarn Street, Liverpool, of which Walton and Bootle were each to have 3s., and Kirkdale and Fazakerley 2s. each. The house was sold to the corporation for improvements, and the rent-charge was then doubled, £1 still being paid by the corporation to the rector of Walton, who distributes it according to the will.
Thomas Berry, by his will of 1601, left the Red Cross tenement in Edward street, Southwark, to the rector and churchwardens of St. Mary Magdalen, Old Fish Street, but out of the rent they were to pay 54s. a year to the churchwardens of Walton, 52s. for the provision of white bread for twelve poor persons each Sunday, and 2s. to the churchwardens for their pains; also a further 50s. to 'two honest and sufficient men' of Bootle, of which 30s. was to be spent on 'a dinner every St. Thomas's day in his brother James's then dwelling-house in Bootle, for all the householders and married people of the said town as should please to come thither,' and 20s. for a supper for the young people. In 1828 £4 10s. was received by the vicar of Walton; £2 7s. was given in bread as directed; the remainder was distributed in money doles to poor persons in Bootle.
Edward Tarleton in 1698 left £50 for the poor of Walton and Liverpool; in 1828 the capital was in the hands of the corporation of Liverpool, and 12s. 6d. as interest was paid to the vicar of Walton, and given to the poor.
102 The closes were called Robert meadow, Wheat hey, Rye hey, Ellins acre, Canfer croft, Pingot, Roberts yorl, and Cropps acre; the present name is Stonecrop farm. Out of the rent £12 was to be paid for an annual sermon, a weekly distribution of bread, and otherwise for the benefit of the poor 'of the communion of the Church of England' alone. If the rent were less than £12, certain reductions were to be made. In 1828 the rent was £35, and the whole, not merely the £12, was paid to the officers of the three townships for separate distribution among their own poor, after 52s. had been deducted for the bread, 21s. for the annual sermon on St. Thomas's day, and 13s. 6d. for expenses. The money was given in sums of 3s. to 20s. In 1873 a portion of the land was taken for the West Derby sewage farm, and is represented by £402 consols; the remainder is let for £30, but may soon be required for building. Bread is still distributed weekly at Walton church. About £12 a year is given to each of the three participating townships and distributed to the poor.
103 Mr. Sharrock in 1732 left £52 to found a bread charity. John Sutton and George Williamson gave £10 each in 1749, which sums were used to defray the debt on Formby church. The above charities were lost in 1869, when church rates were abolished, the interest having been paid out of them. The township, however, should have taken steps to reinstate the capital. Richard Marsh and others had left moneys for the poor, which in 1828 produced £6 18s. a year. Part of this was received from the poor rate, and has not been paid for fifty years; but £3 a year, representing £50 lent to the corporation of Liverpool, is still received by the overseers, and divided among poor women, mostly widows.
The Rev. Richard Formby in 1825 left £85 for New Testaments, tracts, &c., to be distributed in the neighbourhood; the interest is now given in Testaments and Prayer-books as prizes in the girls' school.
John Sutton in 1833 left a small sum for a bread distribution at Formby church to such of the Protestant poor as should be most regular in attendance on public worship. No interest has been drawn since 1873; the Rev. Lonsdale Formby is supposed to have advanced the 3s. a year for the annual dole, intending to reimburse himself. He did not do so, and since his death no distribution of bread has taken place.
Margaret Goore Brown, widow, in 1848 left £500 for bread and clothing for the poor, irrespective of religious denomination; the interest has in recent times been given in money doles.
Mary Livesley in 1850 left £10 to the incumbent and wardens of Formby Protestant church for the benefit of the poor. The fund, in charge of the late Rev. Lonsdale Formby, was productive till 1892, when he became dangerously ill; the place of its deposit has not been discovered.
The late Arthur Ashton gave £500, as a memorial of his wife, for the poor of St. Luke's ecclesiastical district; and a like sum for Holy Trinity district. The interest, £16 10s., is distributed accordingly.
104 A rent-charge of £10 on an estate formerly belonging to Nehemiah Cowley at Billinge, in 1828 to his son Thomas Cowley, and now to — Taylor, is paid to the incumbent, who gives £9 to the schools and £1 to the St. Thomas's day dole.
William Fleetwood left a charge of £2 for the poor on his estate at Kirkby (belonging in 1828 to John Johnson). Lawrence Pickup of Liverpool left £10 for poor people of Kirkby being Protestants and attending the chapel of Kirkby. The Rev. William Mount, incumbent, left £20 for the poor of Kirkby and Simonswood. These benefactions are united as the St. Thomas's day dole. The Fleetwood estate now belongs to Lord Sefton, who pays the £2 rent-charge. Sums of 10s. and 20s. for the other gifts were paid out of the rates until 1849, when payment ceased. From 1863 to 1897 payment from the constable rate was resumed; at present the voluntary church rate is charged with them. Attendance at the church service is not now required. The £20 left by Mr. Mount was used for roofing the chapel, and in 1828 the 20s. was paid out of the chapel rate.
In 1851 Mary and Eliza Cort, daughters of the Rev. Robert Cort, lately incumbent, gave a rent-charge of £10 out of a house and lands at Arkholme for the benefit of eight poor persons of Kirkby and six of Simonswood. Their father had died intestate, but he had intended to make this gift. The rent-charge was redeemed in 1883, and is represented by £333 consols, producing £8 6s. 8d. a year. Eliza Alice Cort in 1869 left £300 for fuel and clothing for the poor of Kirkby and Simonswood; this produces £7 15s. 8d. a year.
Robert Dudgeon of Liverpool in 1858 left money for a coal fund and for almshouses. The bequests were void in law, but the executor paid £8 a year to the vicar of Kirkby as interest on the residue of £305, and his executors have since continued it.
105 Thomas Aspe in 1698 gave a messuage and lands in West Derby, which in 1828 produced £25 a year, for the binding of a poor child apprentice, Kirkby and West Derby sharing equally; the Woodside quarter of the latter township was that intended to be benefited. Eleanor Gleast in 1699 devised land in Page Moss, also a rent-charge of 40s. out of Henshaw's fields and Button's field, for binding poor Protestant children apprentices, limited to those born in the manor and township of West Derby. These charities have always been administered together, after the moiety of Aspe's bequest had been allowed for Kirkby. In 1828 there was a surplus of £368 of unexpended balances, the income being greater than the demands upon it.
New arrangements were made between 1862 and 1864, separate bodies of trustees for Kirkby and West Derby being appointed by the Charity Commissioners; the balance then amounted to £1,400. A fresh scheme was made in 1903. The Aspe estate consists of a messuage and land in Yew Tree Lane, bringing a rent of £40. The Gleast estate consists of a house and land at Page Moss, let at £45 a year; a rent-charge of 30s. out of Henshaw's field; a rent-charge of 10s. out of Button's field, now divided into numerous building plots; and £3,210 consols, producing £80 5s. 4d. The income is still employed in apprenticing, but the number of applications is decreasing; the candidates must be Protestants and born in West Derby. No attention is paid to the limitation of Aspe's bequest to the Woodside quarter, partly because the bounds are not accurately known.
106 Anne Dwerrihouse in 1672 bequeathed a charge on lands in Thingwall for twelve loaves to be distributed at West Derby chapel every Sunday. One Stones gave land to the vicar of Walton, charged with £1 a year to the poor of West Derby. James Woods in 1678 left money for four weekly loaves; in 1828 17s. 4d. was received for this charity out of Chapel croft. Elizabeth Smarley in 1780 left £60 for the provision of Bibles and Common Prayer-books; she also left £5 5s. a year for a schoolmistress at West Derby, but this was void in law.
Andrew Mercer in 1689 charged land with £3 a year for a bread charity, but he probably revoked it, as nothing further is known of it.
The Dwerrihouse and Woods charities are now administered together. The rent-charge on Thingwall was redeemed in 1894 by Henry Yates Thompson, then owner, £108 being invested in Government stock; the other rent-charge has also been redeemed by the transfer of £28 India Stock to the official trustees. The income, £3 11s. 4d., is distributed weekly at St. Mary's church in loaves to four poor persons, members of the Church of England. The rector of Walton pays the £1 for Stone's charity, but the land charged is not exactly known. It is distributed with the share of Fazakerley's charity in doles of money. The income of Smarley's bequest is now given by the rector in Bibles and Prayer-books to children attending the Sunday-school.
Miss Jane Segar of Everton in 1869 left £200 for the West Derby poor, but only half of this sum was received, the estate being insufficient. The income is united with that derived from a bequest by Adam Dugdale, of Dovecot House, who in 1839 left £100 for the benefit of the poor, being members of the Church of England. The income is paid in food of the value of 3s. weekly, to four poor widows.
107 The sums left by John Burgess and others for 'a preaching Protestant orthodox minister' at the chapel, included also £50 for poor housekeepers. In 1828 £2 was paid, as the interest of this, to a very aged woman, mother of the chapel clerk.