Townships
Litherland

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1907

Pages

95-98

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Litherland', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3 (1907), pp. 95-98. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41299 Date accessed: 29 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LITHERLAND

Liderlant, Dom. Bk.; Litherland, 1212. Generally Down Litherland.

Litherland forms an uninteresting link between the busy environs of Bootle and the more open country towards Sefton township, since there are both dwelling-houses and warehouses, streets, and shops, as well as open spaces. It lies on a slightly higher level than its seaward neighbour, Seaforth. The soil is for the most part sandy, with a subsoil of clay. The geological formation of the north-eastern half of the township consists of lower keuper sandstones of the new red sandstone or triassic formation; that of the south-western of the waterstones of the same series. The strata are concealed by alluvial deposits along the course of the Rimrose Brook, and by a broad stretch of blown sand adjoining the coast. The ancient township, from which Seaforth has now been carved out, contains 1,205 acres. (fn. 1) It was formerly called Down Litherland to distinguish it from the hamlet of Up-Litherland in Aughton. The roads from Liverpool to Southport, and to Sefton and Ormskirk, were the principal ones, but the township has become a residential district with numerous roads and streets. The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company has a station at Seaforth on its Southport line, and the Fazakerley branch of the same company passes through the township. The Leeds and Liverpool Canal also passes through it.

The population in 1901 numbered 10,592, while that of Seaforth was 13,263.

The Diamond Match Factory is the most prominent industry in Litherland.

The field names in a map of 1769 (fn. 2) show that the Marsh was the district between Rimrose Brook and the shore; the Bullcroft was here. East of the present Seaforth Station was the Holme, and to the north Such Field and Whabs. The moss occupied the north-eastern part of the township; the moor adjoined it on the borders of Orrell. The Church Field was north of the old village, on the borders of Ford; the reason for this name, an ancient one, is unknown. Aynard Hey was a strip lying between the village and Church Field.

A local board was formed in 1863 for the part not in the Waterloo-with-Seaforth district (fn. 3) ; in 1894 this part was constituted the township of Litherland; it is governed by an urban district council of twelve members.

MANOR

At the death of Edward the Confessor Elmaer held LITHERLAND for a manor assessed at half a hide, or three plough-lands, and its value beyond the customary rent was the normal 8s. (fn. 4) Within sixty years the whole had come into the possession of the Molyneux family, and has since descended with Sefton. It was, however, acquired in moieties by different titles. One moiety is supposed to have been part of the original Sefton fee; the other was granted in exchange for Toxteth, and for this part a thegnage rent of 20s. was paid, the undertenants in 1212 being Robert de Walton and Richard son of Siward, each holding one-half. (fn. 5) About the year 1125 Stephen, count of Boulogne and Mortain, had assured to Robert de Molyneux and his heir his land in Litherland for 14s. a year—apparently the thegnage moiety. (fn. 6) In 1324 the two portions are clearly distinguished, Richard de Molyneux holding one half by the service of 20s., and the other half in conjunction with Sefton. (fn. 7)

It thus appears that from an early time Litherland was divided into a half and two quarters; and this is perhaps the origin of the modern division into Litherland, Orrell, and Ford.


Lea of French Lea. Sable, three bars argent.

One of the two quarters at least was probably held by a 'Demand,' a doom-man or judge, so called from the hereditary service discharged in the wapentake court as the representative of the lord of Sefton. There were two families bearing the surname Demand, one of which was certainly connected very closely with Orrell. The quarter of the manor held by the latter family cannot be traced with clearness, but appears to have been held by one Siward about 1200 (fn. 8) and to have descended to the Demand family, (fn. 9) being sold in 1335 by Richard the Demand to Peter, a younger son of Richard de Molyneux of Sefton. (fn. 10) With the latter's daughter it went to John Dandyson of Ditton, (fn. 11) and was purchased from Richard and Peter de Ditton by Sir Richard Molyneux and his son in the latter part of Henry VI's reign. (fn. 12)


Ashton of Croston. Argent, a chevron between three chaplets gules.

The other quarter came into possession of the Lea or Lee family, (fn. 13) and descended with other of their lands to the Ashtons of Croston, (fn. 14) until alienated in 1596 by Thomas Ashton, who sold his fourth part of the manor, with all his lands in Litherland, Orrell, and Ford, to Sir Richard Molyneux. (fn. 15) There was another family named Lee in the township whose property also came to Molyneux. (fn. 16)

Richard de Molyneux had before 1212 given two oxgangs of land to Randle de Litherland by knight's service and a rent of 5s. (fn. 17) A family bearing the local name appears from time to time. (fn. 18)

Among the other holders of land in the fifteenth century and earlier may be named the families of Ballard, (fn. 19) Gorstihill, (fn. 20) Linacre, (fn. 21) Makin, (fn. 22) Mercer, (fn. 23) Tristram, (fn. 24) and Witlaw. (fn. 25) The Moores of Bank Hall acquired a considerable holding in the township, chiefly, it would seem, by purchase from some of the earlier owners just named. (fn. 26) In 1628 the only freeholders mentioned were the heirs of Richard Davy. (fn. 27) The recusant roll of 1641 groups the three Litherland townships with Aintree, and records only six names; Henry Bootle was probably of this township. (fn. 28) In 1769 besides Lord Molyneux, the earl of Derby, William Bolton, Richard Tristram, John Wainwright, and others held small portions of the land. (fn. 29)

For members of the Established Church St. Philip's was built in 1863. (fn. 30) Trustees have the patronage. St. Mark's is a chapel of ease. St. Andrew's, originating in the same way, has now an independent district; the bishop of Liverpool is patron.

There is a Wesleyan chapel in Litherland village.

WATERLOO

WATERLOO stands on the margin of the Mersey estuary, healthily situated, with a wide breezy prospect, although the surface of the land could scarcely be flatter. In this respect it is precisely like its neighbours north and south. Nearly one-half of the township is covered by the sea at high-water, for the boundaries extend far into the estuary, whilst at low tide there is a broad stretch of firm sands beyond the houses and terraces which face the sea. The rest of the land is occupied by the town of Waterloo, which may be looked upon as an important residential suburb of Liverpool, reached in a few minutes by the electric railway.

The hamlet of Crosby Sea-bank grew at the beginning of last century into a 'flourishing sea-bathing place.' (fn. 31) The Waterloo Hotel, traditionally said to have been commenced on the day the famous battle was fought, gave a distinctive name to the place. (fn. 32) The first railway was that from Southport, opened in 1848, the terminus being for a time at Waterloo; passengers were carried by coach to and from Liverpool. (fn. 33) The local government district of Waterloowith-Seaforth was formed out of Litherland in 1863, (fn. 34) and in 1874 extended to include part of Great Crosby. (fn. 35) In 1894 the separate townships of Waterloo and Seaforth were created and joined to make the urban district of Waterloo-with-Seaforth. (fn. 36) The council has eighteen members. The Town Hall was built in 1862.

In connexion with the Established Church there are Christ Church in the Litherland portion, built in 1839, several times enlarged, and rebuilt in 1892; (fn. 37) St. John's Church in the Great Crosby portion, built in 1865; (fn. 38) and St. Mary's Church, built in 1877, and consecrated in 1886. The patronage of these churches is vested in different bodies of trustees.

The English Presbyterian church of St. Andrew was built in 1876, a congregation having been gathered about three years earlier. There are a Wesleyan church and a temporary Baptist chapel. The Congregational church, opened in 1866, is the result of services begun in 1855 by the Rev. T. Sleigh, formerly of Wavertree. (fn. 39) The Salvation Army has barracks in East Street.

The Roman Catholic church of St. Thomas of Canterbury, on the Litherland side of the boundary, was opened in August 1877; a temporary chapel had been used from 1868. (fn. 40)

SEAFORTH

SEAFORTH township was formed in 1894 from Litherland, and joined with Waterloo to form an urban district. (fn. 41) The two occupy the whole river frontage of Litherland and part of that of Great Crosby. The name is derived from Seaforth House, which Sir John Gladstone built about 1815. When the tide is low a broad stretch of sands is uncovered and forms a favourite recreation ground of the inhabitants of Liverpool, since these sands are on the north side the nearest to the city, approached easily by the overhead electric railway. The rest of the township is thickly populated. The streets are level on a sandy soil, the town being built upon land once occupied by sandhills.

There are large barracks at Seaforth.

The shore has been secured by the Mersey Dock Board.

The Established Church had the first place of worship here, St. Thomas's, built in 1815 by Sir John Gladstone, and recently enlarged. The Rev. S. E. Gladstone is patron.

The Congregationalists have a school-chapel, built in 1881 on a portion of the Seaforth House site; the mission owes its origin to the Congregational church at Waterloo, having been commenced in 1878. (fn. 42)

The Roman Catholic church of Our Lady Star of the Sea was opened in 1901; the mission was founded in 1884, a stable being converted into a chapel; a school-chapel was opened in 1890. Seafield House, originally intended for a hydropathic establishment, became a convent of the sisters of the Sacred Heart of Mary, and was used for training pupil teachers. (fn. 43) It has now been purchased by the Dock Board.

Footnotes

1 857 acres, including 9 of inland water; Census Rep. of 1901.
2 Preserved at Croxteth.
3 Lond Gaz. 24 April and 16 June, 1863.
4 V.C.H. Lancs. i, 284a.
5 Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 12, 14. The exchange is also mentioned in the Red Book of the Excheq. (Rolls Ser.), 572.
6 Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 427. Although the land is called 'his (Robert's) land,' the word used is concedo, as if it were a fresh grant. The service of 14s. does not appear again, so that it was soon raised to 20s.
7 Dods. MSS. cxxxi, fol. 34. The portion held with Sefton is not usually mentioned separately, and the service of 20s. seems in the end to have been regarded as due for the whole of Litherland.
In 1226 Adam de Molyneux paid 20s. of thegnage in Litherland; and in 1297 Richard de Molyneux rendered 20s. for Down Litherland, and two tenants did suit; Inq. and Extents, 136, 288. These tenants in 1324 were named as Adam and William the Demands; they did the suit to county and wapentake.
The fusion or confusion of the two moieties was complete by 1346, when Richard de Molyneux held 'three ploughlands' here, paying 20s.; Survey of 1346 (Chet. Soc.), 34.
Richard de Molyneux, who died in 1363, was found to have held the manor of Down Litherland of the duke of Lancaster, by homage and the service of 20s. yearly, and performing suit at the wapentake of West Derby; it had a capital messuage, 30 acres of land each worth 12d.
a year, and 30s. rents of free tenants; Inq. p.m. 42 Edw. III, n. 40 (1st Nos.).
The later inquisitions give the same testimony; e.g. Sir William Molyneux, who died in 1548, held the manor of Down Litherland, with three messuages, 30 acres of land, &c. by the same rent of 20s. and the service of doing suit at the wapentake every three weeks; the clear value was only 14s. 8½d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. ix, n. 2.
8 In 1202 an assize of mort d'ancestor was summoned between Agnes daughter of Robert, plaintiff, and Richard, Andrew, and Efward, sons of Siward, tenants of three oxgangs in Litherland. Agnes released her right to the tenants, and Richard in return gave her the oxgang which had been Efward's and a mark of silver also; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 11. This referred to half only of the quarter (6 oxgangs), and in 1212, as stated above, Richard was the sole or responsible tenant, paying 10s. a year to Richard de Molyneux of Sefton.
9 The evidence connecting a Demand with Orrell is as follows:—
Adam the Judge, son of William the Judge, granted to Henry Ballard a selion in the vill of Orrell, at a rent of 1d.; Adam, the 'great judge'—probably the same man —gave William Ballard land in the Nether Bradmore in Litherland; and this grantee had other land from Richard son of William the Demand; Croxteth D. G. ii, 2–4.
In 1303 Adam son of William the Judge made a grant in Hogh Orrell and in Mossfield to Henry son of Robert de Linacre, a rent of ½d. being payable to the chief lord; and in the next year, as son of William the Demand, he granted two 'lands' in Orrell to Henry son of Robert de Kirkdale; ibid. G. ii, 10, 11. In 1309 he made a grant to Roger de Roby and Agnes his wife; the latter may have been his daughter; Moore D. n. 694.
10 Richard the Demand in 1309 allowed turbary in Litherland Moss to Richard son of Hugh de Linacre; Moore D. n. 695. In 1327 Richard son of Adam the Judge and heir of William the Judge quitclaimed to Peter de Molyneux his right in one oxgang in the vill of Litherland; and eight years later, as Richard the Demand, he granted to Peter son of Richard de Molyneux a quarter of the manor; Croxteth D. G. i, 5, 6. Also in 1335 Philip de Molyneux conveyed land in Ince Blundell to Richard, formerly judge of Down Litherland, and Margery his wife; Blundell of Crosby D. K. 131.
Peter de Molyneux also acquired land in Orrell from Emma widow of William Page; Croxteth D. G. i, 7.
11 In 1349 William son of Peter de Molyneux and Margery, Anabel, Agnes, Joan, and Emma, daughters of Peter, regranted to their father the lands they had had from him in the vills of Litherland and Orrell; ibid. Gen. i. 30.
It would appear from the course of events that Joan was her father's heir, for in 1355 John son of John Dandyson of Ditton and Joan his wife claimed from Richard de Molyneux of Sefton the manor of Down Litherland and various other lands there and in Sefton, as Joan's right; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 4, m. 5, m. 24 d.
12 Roger de Ditton attested a Litherland charter in 1361; Moore D. n. 721. He took part in the Irish expedition of Sir John de Stanley in 1386; Cal. of Pat. 1385–9, p. 156. In 1396 Robert the King re-enfeoffed Peter son of Roger de Ditton and Joan his wife of the fourth part of the manor of Litherland, and various lands he had had from Peter; Croxteth D. G. ii, 27.
Richard their son is mentioned in 1401, and in 1420 he regranted to Peter his father the fourth part of the manor; ibid. G. ii, 28, i, 22. In April, 1432, he received from his feoffees all his lands, &c. in Litherland and Orrell, and immediately leased them to Sir Richard de Molyneux for ten years at a rent of 20s.; and should Sir Richard or his heirs be willing to hold them after this term, then the rent should be 26s. 8d.; ibid. G. i, 17, 18, 23. Soon after the ten years had expired, at the beginning of 1443, he sold the whole to Sir Richard; while in 1455 his son Peter released all his right therein to Richard Molyneux the son of Sir Richard; ibid. G. i, 19, 20, 24.
13 Of Lea near Preston; lords of Ravensmeols, &c. If the suggestion in the text be correct the Leas' quarter was that held in 1212 by Robert de Walton by a rent of 10s. Nothing further is known of this tenant or his successors, but a Robert de Walton was about that time vicar of the rector of Sefton; Lanc. Ch. (Chet. Soc.), i, 66.
Henry de Lea granted an oxgang of land in the vill of Litherland to Adam, son of Alexander at a rent of 2s.; Croxteth D. G. ii, 1.
Henry son of Henry de Lea gave to William son of Agnes de Thornton a rood of land by the Pikemanscroft, Orrel Syke and Wellfield Siche being mentioned in the boundaries; Moore D. n. 692. In 1299 Richard, son of William de Ince, who lived in Orrell, gave 3 roods in this croft to William, son of Richard de Ince, of Thornton; they extended from Orrell-stone to Henry de Lea's pit, and a service of 2½d. was payable, part to Henry de Lea and part to Adam the Judge, apparently the Judex Major named in the charter; ibid. n. 693.
Henry de Lea in 1305 claimed a messuage and land here from Richard de Ince and others; De Banc. R. 156, m. 127. William, son of Sir William de Lea, in 1350 brought an action against Richard de Molyneux of Sefton and others, apparently concerning Litherland; Assize R. 1444, m. 4.
14 The fourth part of the manor of Litherland was included in a fine concerning the estates of William de Lea and Isolda his wife in 1372; Final Conc. ii, 183.
A settlement was made in 1392 of a fourth part of the manor of Down Litherland between Master William de Ashton, John de Ashton, and John de Wolleton, chaplain, plaintiffs, and Robert de Standish and Isolda his wife, deforciants; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 3, m. 32. Isolda, doubtless the widow of William de Lea, had a life interest.
Thomas Ashton of Croston was claimant of the manor in 1468; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 33, m. 7 d.; also R. 34, m. 18. In 1502 it was found that Thomas Ashton held lands in Litherland of [William] Molyneux, but the jury did not know by what service; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, n. 93.
Richard Ashton appears in 1558; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 18, m. 41.
15 Croxteth D. G. i, 50; also Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 59, m. 109.
16 William and Henry, sons of Roger del Lee, were defendants in a case of 1346; De Banc. R. 345, m. 393.
William de Moston in 1409 granted land in a field called Nether Bradmoor in Orrell to Richard de Lee; Croxteth D. G. ii, 29. In 1468 Richard Formby granted land in the same field, now said to be in the vill of Litherland, to Roger de Lee, with remainders to his brother Richard, and to the heirs of their father Richard; ibid. G. i, 33–4. This land was granted by Roger to his son Henry in 1486, and soon afterwards sold by Henry to John, son of Nicholas Johnson, who at once transferred to Dame Anne Molyneux; ibid. G. i, 35–40.
17 Inq. and Extents, 13.
18 It is possible that they were also called Demand, acting for the Sefton moiety of the vill.
Alan de Litherland gave two selions here to Roger son of William de Molyneux at 1d. rent; Croxteth D. G. i, 2. Adam de Litherland granted a selion to William son of Gilbert de Linacre; ibid. G. ii, 6.
Sir Henry de Lea about 1280 granted to Richard, son of William de Litherland, a messuage and garden in Orrell; and Adam, son of William the Demand, granted him free turbary; Moore D. n. 689–90. The grantee may be the Richard son of William the Judge of other charters.
Richard de Molyneux granted part of his land in the vill to Richard, son of Alice de Litherland; Croxteth D. Ee. 7. Then in 1313 William the Demand, son of Adam, gave to Henry de Lea the homage of Richard son of Richard, son of Alice de Down Litherland; this was confirmed by fine, Richard doing homage and fealty to Henry in court; ibid. G. ii, 13, and Final Conc. ii, 28. There appears to have been some disputing about it ten years later; Assize R. 425, m. 2.
William the Deemer and Margery de Down Litherland were in the same year charged with depriving the latter's sister Maud of a moiety of a messuage and two oxgangs of land; both sisters claimed by a grant of Adam son of Adam, son of Gilbert, but Maud failed in her suit; Assize R. 424, m. 2.
In 1328 the same Margery claimed from Richard son of Richard de la Moor and others a messuage and two oxgangs of land. It appears that she had had them by gift of William the Demand when he married a certain Ellen, who as his widow was one of the defendants. The other defendants included Richard, son of Margery de Down Litherland, and Adam the Little Demand. (Adam the Little Judge was witness to a grant by Richard son of William the Judge of Litherland, to Richard son of Hugh the Reeve of Walton; Moore D. n. 691. A charter by Adam the Great Judge has been quoted already.) Richard de la Moor was the heir of William the Demand, but the charter of Margery was upheld by the jury; Assize R. 1400, m. 234.
Simon, son of William the Demand, occurs in 1329; Assize R. 427, m. 3 d.
19 By fine in 1256 an oxgang of land was granted by Richard de Birches and Margery his wife, of whose right it was, to Robert, son of Adam Ballard, on his marriage with their daughter Emma; Final Conc. i, 119.
William son of Adam de Molyneux about 1270 gave to Henry son of Adam, son of Andrew de Litherland, certain lands at a rent of 6d. About the same time Adam the Demand, son of Robert de Litherland, gave two selions to Henry son of Adam Ballard, perhaps the same Henry; and Alan son of Richard formerly of Litherland gave him the Clayland lying next to land of Robert Ballard's, and extending from the road called Bridgate to the road from the vill of Litherland to Sefton church; Blundell of Crosby D. K. 4, K. 3, K. 1.
In 1313 Adam son of William Ballard released to his son Richard all his right in certain lands in Litherland near the Wall Syke, in the Long Nares, Gorsticroft and Nether Brademoor; Croxteth D. G. ii, 12. Richard Ballard's land is mentioned in a charter of 1336; Moore D. n. 696.
Adam son of Henry Ballard granted land in Orrell to John de Gorsthill in 1343; Croxteth D. G. ii, 21.
20 To Henry de Gorsthill William son of Adam the Judge leased half his land in the fields of Orrell, and a halland in Over Brademoor; and in 1320 Henry granted his Litherland estate to his son John; Croxteth D. G. ii, 5, 17.
John de Gorsthill had further grants from Richard the Demand in 1328; and from Peter de Molyneux in 1348, Agnes his wife and Hugh their son being named in the charter; and he in 1356 gave all his lands in Orrell to his son Thomas, who was marrying Elizabeth daughter of Richard de Riding; ibid. G. ii, 19; Ee. 21; G. ii, 24. William de Gorsthill attested a charter in 1401; and John Bootle of Litherland gave to William de Gorsthill of Linacre three selions in the Broadmoor in 1437; Moore D. n. 699, 722.
21 John son of Richard, son of Geoffrey de Linacre was defendant in 1346; De Banc. R. 345, m. 393. Henry son of Thomas de Linacre occurs in 1371 in a grant to Henry de Bootle; Hugh son of Richard de Linacre in 1381–2; and John de Linacre in 1401 in a grant to Henry Dicconson de Linacre; Croxteth D. G. ii, 25; Blundell of Crosby D. K. 10; Moore D. n. 699. In 1415 Margery, daughter of John Johnson of Hale, and Alice her sister, released to John Robinson de Linacre all their right in the lands of Emma, daughter of John son of Richard de Linacre; ibid. n. 702.
22 In 1378 the feoffees granted to Richard Makin and Agnes his wife Richard's lands in Litherland; Moore D. n. 697. Anella widow of Thomas Makin, in 1450–1 granted to Henry her son all her lands in Down Litherland lately belonging to John Dicconson of Crosby; with remainder to Thomas son of the late John Makin; Kuerden MSS. iii, W. 10, n. 30. In 1505–6 Thomas Makin of Litherland, and John his son and heir granted a selion of land to Richard Makin; ibid. n. 35.
Thomas Makin in 1477 released to Thomas Molyneux of Sefton all his right in the dower lands of Ellen his mother, and in 1505 gave land in the Moorfield and by the shore to Edward Molyneux son of Sir Thomas, following this with further grants which preserve some field names; Sperthe in the Longchurchfield, Elringhawes, Cockheys, Tongsharps in the townfield, Croft Agram, and Croft Colke, this last being in the Ford; Croxteth D. G. i. 30, 43, 44. Soon afterwards Thomas Makin and John his son and heir joined in the sale of other lands; ibid. G. ii, 32–3; Moore D. n. 711–12.
23 Roger Mercer of Walton, who had sons, Gilbert and William, made purchases in 1482, and William Mercer in 1519; Moore D. n. 705–6, 716. Crookfield and Pulverlong occur in this last deed.
24 In 1361 John son of Gilbert de Aughton re-enfeoffed John son of William Pynnuesson of Litherland of his messuage there, the remainders being to Richard son of Margery daughter of Richard Robinson del Edge, and to Tristram, John, Alice, Margaret and other children of Margery; ibid. n. 721.
In 1469 Robert Tristram of Litherland gave to trustees lands in the Gorsticroft, Commongrene, and Marsh; and John Tristram in 1505–6 granted certain lands to his son and heir Thomas, who married Margery daughter of John Rignold of Great Crosby; ibid. n. 704, 708.
About 1650 there was an exchange of lands between Robert Tristram alias Syme and others, including a 'forsyde' for a 'hurlinghold' on Anome halland; the inventory of Robert Tristram, dated 1654, is also preserved; ibid. n. 726a, 726.
John Taylor of Ormskirk in 1662 sold to Edward Moore of Bank Hall the lands in Litherland which he had had in right of his wife Margaret, daughter of Robert Tristram; they were charged with £60 for his youngest daughter Katherine, wife of Thomas Harker of Barton. The delivery of seisin is interesting: 'John Taylor in his own proper person did go into the hempyard and did there cast up a sod of earth, and then did likewise take some thatch with some of the dust or clay which was part of the wall of the house, and did all the same deliver as seisin'; ibid. n. 728.
Eleven years later Edward Moore granted a lease of premises in Litherland to Anne Tristram, widow of Henry, their daughters Alice and Anne being named, at a rent of 30s. payable at 'the compass window of Bank Hall'; the lessee was to grind at Moore's Mill, and to set a hundred quicksets every year; and though 'many of the tenants within the lordship of Litherland have usually been accustomed to do boons and services by cart and hand labour,' making a bad name for Edward Moore, this lessee was to pay £12 in lieu of such services; ibid. n. 732.
25 The name is spelt in many ways.
In 1424 Richard, son and heir of Peter de Ditton, granted to William, son and heir of Thomas Wetlache, land in the Overmoor; Croxteth D. G. ii, 31.
Thurstan Whitlegh granted a messuage and land in Ford to Thomas Collins in 1535, which was confirmed six years later by John Witlak, as son and heir of Thurstan; and Thomas Collins sold the same to Richard Molyneux in 1549 (here the name is written Quitlagh); ibid. G. i, 45–7. In 1555 Thomas Whytlage and Alice his wife sold lands in Litherland and Upholland to Sir Richard Molyneux; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 16, m. 119.
26 This will be clear from the references to the Moore D. In addition the Moores secured the lands of the Corker family.
Emmot, wife of William the Corker, in 1385 received the lands of her husband in Litherland and the vill of Orrell, from the feoffee, the remainders being to his sons Richard and John, and others; and in 1408 Peter de Ditton leased to Richard son of William the Corker a house and land in the Ford; while another Richard Corker, son of Hugh, had land here in 1506; Moore D. n. 698, 700, 709, 711.
In the following year he sold his lands to William Moore; they included parts of Orgreaves, South Holmes, Crosby Styes, 'a broddoll of meadow' in the Broad Mead, and others; ibid. n. 713, 715. The latter deed names William Corker of Woolton.
About the same time (1507–8) William Moore purchased a 'Koktreland,' the Erling Hawes, and other plots from William Rose; ibid. n. 714. Edward Moore in 1627 purchased from Edward Alcock of Great Crosby the former inheritance of John Johnson; ibid. n. 724.
27 Norris D. (B.M.) In 1506 William Davy enfeoffed Richard Crosse and Hugh Rainford of all his tenements in Litherland and Ford; Crosse D. n. 169.
28 Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), xiv, 237.
29 Map at Croxteth. Lord Derby's estate probably represents that of the Moores.
30 A district was assigned to it in 1871; Lond. Gaz. 4 July.
31 Baines, Dir. 1825, ii, 710. The place is not called Waterloo in Lewis' Gaz. of 1844; but this name had become established by 1830, when a short description was printed in Whittle's Marina, 126.
32 'Waterloo Hotel' is marked on Greenwood's map of 1818. It is now called the Royal Hotel. In 1824 there was a coach from this hotel to Liverpool at nine in the morning, returning at six in the evening, and the Lancashire Witch packet plied thrice a day, by the Leeds Canal, between Crosby and Liverpool. The hotel stands on the shore at the extreme south-west corner of Crosby, and the hamlet which has grown into the present town of Waterloo was partly in Great Crosby and partly in Litherland.
33 Bland, Southport, 109.
34 Lond. Gaz. 24 April, 1863.
35 37 & 38 Vict. cap. 19.
36 Loc. Gov. Bd. Order, 31614. The township of Waterloo is that part of Waterloo-with-Seaforth in Great Crosby. The area for the census of 1901 was 546 acres including two of inland water; but this included part of Brighton le Sands. The foreshore is 265 acres.
37 The Ven. John Jones, M.A., archdeacon of Liverpool, was incumbent from 1850 to 1889; he had previously, from 1815 to 1850, been incumbent of St. Andrew's, Liverpool.
38 Lond. Gaz. 26 Oct. 1877, for district.
39 Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconf. vi, 219.
40 Liverpool Cath. Ann. 1901.
41 Loc. Gov. Bd. Order, 31614. Seaforth is the portion of Waterloo-withSeaforth lying within Litherland. The area is 406 acres according to the Census Rep. 1901; in addition there are 291 acres of foreshore.
42 Lancs. Nonconf. vi, 220.
43 Liverpool Cath. Ann. 1901.