The parish of North Meols
Introduction, church and charities

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1907

Pages

226-229

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'The parish of North Meols: Introduction, church and charities', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3 (1907), pp. 226-229. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41325 Date accessed: 24 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

NORTH MEOLS

NORTH MEOLSBIRKDALE

There is little to state regarding the history of the parish apart from what is recorded under the townships and the church. An isolated patch of land fit for cultivation lying between the sea and the sandhills on one side and Martin Mere and the mosse; of Scarisbrick and Halsall on the other, it was not an attractive place of residence in former times, and the sweeping away of Argar Meols by the sea cannot have added to its charms. In more modern times the draining of mere and mosses and the growth of Southport have wholly transformed it, and it has become one of the favourite health resorts of the country. The agricultural land of the parish is thus occupied: Arable land, 5,166 acres; permanent grass, 1,449; woods and plantations, 38. The surface of the underlying rock, the red keuper marl of the new red sandstone, or trias, is completely obscured by blown sand for a width inland from the shore of one and a half to two miles, by tidal alluvium at Crossens, and on the landward side by glacial deposits.

To the county lay the parish used to pay the same amount as Aughton, viz. £2 1s. 8d. towards £100 for the hundred; North Meols with Crossens paid five-sixths, and Birkdale only a sixth. To the fifteenth it paid 22s. of £106 paid by the hundred. (fn. 1)

In 1628 the only landowners contributing to the subsidy were Thomas Hesketh, Richard Bold, and Jane Bold, widow. (fn. 2) The hearth tax of 1666 shows a total of 111 householders with 138 hearths; the only considerable houses were the two halls—North Meols Hall with twelve hearths, and Bold House with eight: the parsonage at Crossens had three, and no other house had more than two. (fn. 3) Bishop Gastrell about 1725 records 200 families, including five of 'Papists.' (fn. 4) In 1901 the population numbered 64,105.

Crossens was in 1715 the scene of a skirmish between the royal troops and the Highlanders; small cannon balls, bayonets, and other relics have frequently been dug up, some being preserved in the vestry of the church.

CHURCH

The church of St. Cuthbert is a plain edifice, built in 1730 on the site of the older building, which had been burnt down. (fn. 5) It cost £1,292. It is almost square in plan, with a short western tower and spire erected in 1739. In 1836 it was 'a small building without side aisles, having nave, chancel, and north transept: lighted by three windows on the south side, and two semicircular ones in the chancel.' (fn. 6) In 1860 it was to some extent rebuilt and enlarged, the north aisle and part of the chancel being of this date, and now consists of chancel, nave with north aisle, and west tower with spire. It is faced with wrought stone throughout, and has a slate roof of low pitch over nave and chancel. The chancel has diagonal angle buttresses of pseudo-Gothic design added in 1860, surmounted by plain octagonal pinnacles without finials. The east window is of three lights, divided by two columns, with Ionic capitals and bases, carrying architrave, frieze, and cornice over the side-lights; the central light has a semicircular head with keyed voussoirs springing from the level of the cornice over the side-lights; the sill projects on brackets. The side windows of the chancel are single lights, wide and tall, with semicircular heads, of plain square section, with a projecting keystone. The nave has precisely similar windows and a plain south doorway, over which are inscriptions as to the building and enlargement. Above is a sun-dial. The roof is of one span over nave and north aisle, its centre line being consequently some way north of that of the chancel roof; all gables have plain copings and small gable crosses of poor design. The tower is of three stages with an octagonal stone spire, with a vane, but no finial; and having two tiers of spire lights and three plain strings. It rises from within a parapet with shallow pilasters at the middle and angles of each face. The belfry stage is surmounted by a heavy cornice, and has on each of its four sides a singlelight window with semicircular head and projecting keystone and imposts, and wooden luffer-boards. There are drafted angle quoins on all three stages of the tower. The second stage is divided from that above by a moulded string, and has on its south face a tablet with an arched head. At the top of the ground stage is a plain square string. (fn. 7)

There are two bells in the tower: a small one without inscription of about 18 in. in diameter at the rim, and a larger one, presented in 1750 by John and Henry Hesketh, wine merchants in Preston. (fn. 8)

The church plate consists of two chalices, a paten, and a large flagon. (fn. 9)

The first register begins in 1594; the second in 1600.

There are some Fleetwood and Hesketh monuments. In the churchyard is a brass plate commemorating Thomas Rimmer, mariner, who had been 'captive in Barbary for sixteen years and six months.' He died in 1713.

ADVOWSON

The known history of the church goes back to the time of King Stephen, when Warin Bussel granted it to Evesham, the abbey to provide a chaplain. Warin's son Richard confirmed his father's gifts, including '2s. from the chapel of Meols.' (fn. 10) Down to the suppression of the monasteries the abbots of Evesham continued to be patrons, presenting the rectors and receiving the pension of 2s. a year, later increased to half a mark. (fn. 11) The church was not taxed in the valuation made by order of Nicholas IV, about 1291, 'on account of its insignificance.' In 1341 the value of the ninth of sheaves, fleeces, and lambs was stated to be 40s., for which Meols with Crossens answered. (fn. 12) In 1534 the income from lands, tithe, and all sources was estimated at £8 19s., out of which a pension of 6s. 8d. was paid to the prior of Penwortham, and 8s. 8d. for synodals and procurations. (fn. 13)

In 1543 the patronage was granted by Henry VIII to John Fleetwood of Penwortham, (fn. 14) in whose family it descended until, on the death of Henry Fleetwood in 1746, without issue, it passed under a settlement of 1725 to his grand-nephew Walter Chetwynd of Grendon, Warwickshire. In 1748 a private Act of Parliament was procured by the trustees, enabling them to sell parts of the estates, and in the same year they presented John Baldwin to the rectory; this was no doubt by arrangement with his father, Thomas Baldwin, rector of Liverpool, who next year bought the advowson. The latter died in 1752, and the right descended to his son Thomas, vicar of Leyland, who in 1793 sold the next presentation to John Ford of Bristol, who immediately nominated his son. Two years later the advowson was sold to Thomas Woodcock for £933, and not long afterwards was again sold, this time to Robert Hesketh of North Meols; it has since descended with his moiety of the manor, Mr. C. H. Bibby-Hesketh being the present patron.

The gross annual value is now given as £800.

The following is a list of the rectors:—

DateRectorPatronCause of Vacancy
oc.1178Adam the Clerk (fn. 15)
c.1190Osbert (fn. 16)
c.1250Robert (fn. 17)
before 1281Mr. Thomas le Boteler (fn. 18)
16 April, 1300Henry de Hampton (fn. 19) Evesham Abbey
13 May, 1300Nicholas de Hercy (fn. 20) "
20 Dec. 1314Robert de Preston (fn. 21) "res. N. de Hercy
22 Sept. 1339John le White (fn. 22) "res. R. de Preston
8 May, 1342Stephen de Claverley (fn. 23) "res. J. le White
before 1352William Abel (fn. 24) "
3 May, 1358Adam del Meols (fn. 25) "res. W. Abel
10 Nov. 1369Thomas de Seynsbury (fn. 26) Evesham Abbeyd. A. del Meols
8 May, 1389John de Liverpool (fn. 27) "d. T. de Seynsbury
7 Aug. 1424Richard Brekell (fn. 28) "res. J. de Liverpool
14 Dec. 1436John Ireland (fn. 29) "d. R. Brekell
17 Sept. 1474William Fowler (fn. 30) Thomas Wultond. J. Ireland
21 May, 1477Thomas Bolton (fn. 31) Evesham Abbeyres. W. Fowler
2 July, 1505John Wallys, LL.B. (fn. 32) "res. T. Bolton
25 May, 1519John Pryn, Decr. D. (fn. 33) "d. J. Wallys
c.1524Thomas Copland (fn. 34) "res. J. Pryn
1 Nov. 1530Robert Farington (fn. 35) "d. T. Copland
21 Oct. 1537Lawrence Waterward (fn. 36) "res. R. Farington
15 Aug. 1554Peter Prescot (fn. 37) Henry Forshawdepr. L. Waterward
23 Dec. 1557Thomas Stanley, bishop of Sodor (fn. 38) John Fleetwoodd. P. Prescot
c.June, 1569Peter Clayton (fn. 39) (d. Bp. Stanley)
23 June, 1591John Hill (fn. 40) Rd. Fleetwoodd. of P. Clayton
c.May, 1595Robert Bamforde (fn. 41) "
21 April, 1600Matthew French (fn. 42) "res. R. Bamforde
26 Jan. 1614–15Henry Wright (fn. 43) "d. Mat. French
18 Mar. 1638–9James Starkie (fn. 44) King Charlesd. H. Wright
John Fleetwood
28 May, 1684Henry Rycroft (fn. 45) Edward Fleetwoodd. J. Starkie
15 Nov. 1688Richard Hardy (fn. 46) "d. H. Rycroft
24 July, 1708Ralph Loxam (fn. 47) Hy. Fleetwoodd.R. Hardy
28 Dec. 1726James Whitehead, M.A. (fn. 48) "d. R. Loxam
20 Nov. 1733Christopher Sudell, M.A. (fn. 49) "d. J. Whitehead
8 Dec. 1735Edward Shakespear, M.A. (fn. 50) Hy. Fleetwoodd. C. Sudell
17 June, 1748John Baldwin (Rigby), M.A. (fn. 51) Richard Harper, &c.d. E. Shakespear
21 Nov. 1793Gilbert Ford, M.A. (fn. 52) John Ford, M.D.d. J. Rigby
6 May, 1835Charles Hesketh, M.A. (fn. 53) Peter Heskethd. G. Ford
4 Oct. 1876Charles Hesketh Knowlys, M.A. (fn. 54) Mrs. Anna Maria Heskethd. C. Hesketh
6 Oct. 1894James Denton Thompson, M.A. (fn. 55) "res. C. H. Knowlys
26 July 1905Robert Bibby Blakeney, M.A. (fn. 56) C. H. B. Heskethres. J. D. Thompson

Apart from the conduct of James Starkie the list of rectors has few points of interest. In 1541–2 there were in addition to the rector two stipendiary priests, Edmund Hodgson and James Hodgkinson, both paid by Sir Richard Aughton. (fn. 57) All three appeared at the visitation of 1548. (fn. 58) There was no endowed chantry. In 1554 the rector had been deprived, and only Edmund Hodgson was left in charge; (fn. 59) the late rector, having married, was probably inclined to the new opinions in religion. In 1556 it was found that the church wanted repairs, and that books and ornaments were lacking. (fn. 60) Bishop Stanley, a nonresident pluralist, was scarcely likely to make much improvement, and in 1561 the church was still out of repair. By 1563 things had become worse; the chancel was not repaired and there was no curate, so that children were not baptized and burials had to wait six days—presumably till some one came to take the Sunday duty. (fn. 61) Henry Charnley was immediately afterwards appointed curate, and in 1565 the clergy summoned to the visitation were Bishop Stanley, who appeared, but was not examined, and Henry Charnley, who did not appear. (fn. 62) The chancel remained out of repair, it was even 'ruinated,' but in 1592 the executors of the late rector, Clayton, were compelled to put it right; the churchyard at this time required attention, and there was neither Bible nor Communion Book in the church. (fn. 63) It thus appears that the new services were not regularly performed. In 1598 the chancel was once more out of repair, the windows wanted glass, and the roof was ready to fall. (fn. 64)

In 1605 only one recusant (Ellis Rimmer) was reported, and but two others who 'came slackly to church.' In 1625, Cuthbert, the son of Ellis Rimmer, was considered 'a dangerous person for seducing of good protestants,' but in spite of the example of the squire's family there seems to have been little refusal to attend church for religious reasons. (fn. 65) The fewness of such presentations may have been due to the indifference of the ministering clergy, for in 1665, after the Commonwealth persecution, a considerable number of recusants were found at North Meols. (fn. 66)

Protestant Nonconformity appears to have had few adherents in the district until the rise of Southport.

Anciently the rectory house was at Crossens, (fn. 67) some distance from the church. In 1803 the rector stated that it was entirely unfit for residence through no fault of his, and he therefore desired leave to reside outside the parish; he had a resident curate. In 1825 the old parsonage house and some glebe were exchanged for lands of Peter Hesketh, and a new house was built for the rector in Roe Lane. This in 1879 became the property of Mrs. Hesketh; it is known as the Rookery, and is the local residence of the Hesketh family. In return a new rectory was built, and land given with it.

A grammar school was founded near the end of the seventeenth century. (fn. 68)

CHARITIES

Peter Rimmer, formerly clerk, about 1773 left £80, the interest to be spent on clothing for the poor; in 1828 the overseers paid £4 a year as interest on this money, which was spent as nearly as possible in accordance with the founder's wishes. In 1898 no trace of this charity could be found in the books of the overseers or churchwardens. (fn. 69)

Footnotes

1 Gregson, Fragments (ed. Harland), 16, 18.
2 Norris D. (B.M.).
3 Addl. Lay Subsidy, bdle. 250, n. 9. Two old cottages are described in S. O. Addy's Evolution of the House, 43, 51.
4 Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 194.
5 The churchwardens' seat has the date 1683: and the gallery has the date 1705. Thus the destruction by the fire was not complete.
6 Baines's Lancs. iv, 270. A view of the church is given in Farrer's North Meols.
7 It is intended to rebuild and enlarge the church, only the tower and spire and the south wall of the present one being retained.
8 The inscription is—
EX DONO JOHS. HESKET & HENCI HESKETH MERCAT'
W. H: I B: R R: WARD 1750 arms between LUKE ASHTON. WIGGAN.
9 The chalices are of bell-bowl shape with plain trumpet-shaped stems and a floral scroll pattern repeated three times round the upper part of the bowl. The Roman capital B points to their having been made in London in 1579–80. The paten is probably of the date 1637–8 (italic U in shield). The flagon is a tall and massive piece of plate, bearing the Hesketh arms on a lozenge, and the inscription—
THE GIFT OF MARY HESKETH, 1757.
10 For the grants and various confirmations see Penwortham Priory (Chet. Soc.), 4–8.
11 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), v, 223.
12 Nonarum Inq. (Rec. Com.), 40.
13 Valor Eccl. loc. cit.
14 Pat. 34 Hen. VIII, pt. viii, m. 3 (25). He had in 1539 secured a 99-years' lease of the lordship of Penwortham, &c., from the abbot of Evesham; Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), xvi, 158.
15 'Adam the clerk of Meols' was in 1178 fined ½ mark for an offence against the forest laws; Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 38. It is not certain that he should be reckoned among the rectors.
16 'Osbert the chaplain of Meols' was witness to a Burscough charter made between 1189 and 1192; Duchy of Lanc. Anc. D. L. 270.
17 To 'Robert the parson of North Meols' was granted by Thomas, son of Malle of Longton, a house in Longton, it being given to him 'and to the heirs of his body'; Kuerden's fol. MS. 236. About 1270 'Robert the Clerk of Meols,' possibly the same, was witness to a charter of Madoc de Aughton.
18 Master Thomas le Boteler, parson of the church of North Meols, on going beyond seas with his father, Adam le Boteler, had letters of protection in Dec. 1281; these were extended in the following April; Cal. Pat. R. 10 Edw. I, 4, 15. He was plaintiff in 1290; De Banc. R. 86, m. 144.
19 Lich. Epis. Reg. i, fol. 4b. Henry de Hampton had been presented in the previous December.
20 Ibid. fol. 8b. N. de Hercy resigned 2 Oct. 1314.
21 Ibid. fol. 61b.
22 Ibid. ii, fol. 113b. There was an exchange between Robert de Preston and John le White, the latter having been vicar of Leyland.
23 Ibid. fol. 115b
24 William Abel, rector of North Meols, obtained licence on 14 July, 1352, to say mass, &c. for the soul of the earl of Huntingdon for the two years next following; Lich. Epis. Reg. ii, fol. 13. The phrase insistendi obsequiis may imply residence at some place away from his parish. On 27 Sept. 1355, he obtained leave of absence for a year; ibid. fol. 14b.
25 Ibid. fol. 134b, 135. Adam del Meols exchanged benefices with William Abel, the latter becoming rector of Christleton in his place. In 1353 he procured licence from the pope to choose a confessor with power to grant plenary remission at the hour of death; Cal. Papal Letters, iii, 504. He died about 5 Oct. 1369. Emma, his daughter by Maud de Croston, married successively Richard Banastre and William de Thornton; Towneley MS. OO, nn. 1566, 1588.
26 Lich. Epis. Reg. iv, fol. 85. Thomas de Seynsbury died at Cartmel 20 Feb. 1388–9.
27 Ibid. vi, fol. 53b. In 1401 Roger de Blyth of Lathom was accused of having thrown John de Liverpool, rector of North Meols, on a bed, poured water into his mouth and compelled him to say where his treasure was, then robbing him of £20 in money, jewels, &c.; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 1, m. 18.
28 Lich. Epis. Reg. ix, fol. 114.
29 Ibid. fol. 123; another entry is dated exactly a year later, fol. 123b.
30 Ibid. xii, fol. 109.
31 Ibid. xii, fol. 111. The cause of vacancy was an exchange, Thomas Bolton having held West Kirby church.
32 Ibid. xiv, fol. 54.
33 Ibid. fol. 60b. This is probably the Dr. John Pryn who in 1528 became a prebendary of Lincoln, advancing to the sub-deanery in 1535; he died in 1558 and was buried in Lincoln Cathedral; Le Neve's Fasti, ii, 40.
34 Thomas Copland was instituted before 18 June, 1524, on which day Dr. Fitzherbert, vicar-general of the bishop of Lichfield, sanctioned the payment by him of £10 a year as pension to the retiring rector, to be paid upon the font in the church of Evesham Abbey; after £57 had been paid the pension would be reduced to 10 marks; Lich. Reg. xiv, fol. 67.
35 Ibid. fol. 66b. Sir Henry Farington, perceiving that his third son Robert 'was disposed to learning and the priesthood,' procured for him the next presentation to North Meols, of the yearly value of £20, and kept him at Cambridge. Robert, however, became 'weary of holy orders,' resigned, and married; Duchy of Lanc. Pleadings, Hen. VIII, xiii, B. 18. A Farington was bachelor of the civil law at Cambridge as early as 1531; Grace Book B. (Luard Mem.), ii, 164, 166.
36 Lich. Epis. Reg. xiii-xiv, fol. 36b. He married and was deprived in 1554; Duchy Pleadings (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iii, 163.
37 The Composition Books show that he paid his first-fruits on 8 Oct. 1554. He was probably the same who was chantry priest at Our Lady's Altar in Ormskirk church in 1546. One of the same name was prior of Upholland at the dissolution.
38 Institution Book, 50 (Notitia Cestr. ii, 194). Bishop Stanley also held Winwick, Wigan, and Barwick in Elmet; see the account of Wigan church.
39 Peter Clayton paid his composition for first-fruits on 18 June, 1569. He was ordained subdeacon in 1557, deacon and priest in March and April, 1558, so that he belonged to the old clergy; Ordination Book (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 95, 100, 105. He was still rector in 1583; Duchy of Lanc. Pleadings, Eliz. cxxviii, C. 6.
40 He paid his composition for firstfruits on 24 Aug. 1591. He was 'a preacher'; Gibson, Lydiate Hall, 249, quoting Dom. S.P. Eliz. ccxxxv, n. 4.
41 Robert Bamforde compounded for first-fruits on 23 May, 1595; possibly he was the Robert Bamforde of Brasenose Coll., Oxf. who graduated B.A. in 1574 and M.A. in 1580, and became canon of Lichfield in 1597. He had another benefice in Derbyshire, where he resided; Visit. Book of 1598, at Chest.
42 He paid his first-fruits on 9 June, 1600. He was reported in 1606 to wear the surplice very seldom; it seems, however, that he did so on Sundays; Visit. Books. He was buried 25 January, 1615, at North Meols, and his will was proved at Chester in the same year; he mentions his wife Ellen and several children, also his mother Agnes. He bequeathed his book called 'Maginis Geography' to his brother-in-law Edmund Wearden. It may be noted that a Matthew French of Northampton, son of John French of Dunstable, matriculated in 1597 at the age of seventeen at Balliol College, Oxford; Foster, Alumni. If this is the same he would be only twenty when appointed. He was described as 'a preacher'; Kenyon MSS. (Hist. MSS. Comm.), 13.
43 Henry Wright paid his first-fruits composition 3 Feb. 1614–15. In 1625 it was reported that he did not always wear the surplice when serving the Communion; Visit. Papers. By his will he desired to be buried in the middle of the chancel, where his first wife's body lay. The great chest, bedstocks, and table in his house at Leyland were to be heirlooms; and his books were to be divided between his sons.
44 From this point the presentations have been compared with those in the Institution Books, P.R.O., as in Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Notes. It is not known why the king presented at this time. There were three presentations in all: By the king on 10 Feb. 1638–9; by John Fleetwood, the patron, on 22 Mar.—done, no doubt, to safeguard his rights; and by the king again on 8 April. The first-fruits were paid 22 July. Starkie was a graduate of Cambridge, and had been master of Heskin Grammar School; he was a vicar of Preston from 1630 to 1639. He conformed to the Presbyterian establishment in 1646, and signed the 'Harmonious Consent' of 1648. He may have conformed again in 1662, as he retained the benefice till his death in May, 1684. It is to be remarked, however, that he was considered a Nonconformist for many years after 1662. He appeared at the visitations of 1671, 1674, and 1677, exhibiting his letters of orders; see Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconf. vi, 8. The case of Rainford shows what was possible, with the connivance of those in authority.
45 Henry Rycroft of Penwortham was a foreign burgess at Preston Guild in 1682. He was buried at North Meols 12 Sept. 1688.
46 Richard Hardy was 'conformable' in 1689; Kenyon MSS. 229.
47 He is probably the Ralph Loxam who was admitted sizar of Jesus College, Camb. in May, 1700. He was buried at Penwortham, 19 Oct. 1726.
48 James, son of John Whitehead of Saddleworth, was educated at Oxford; M.A. 1698. He was buried at North Meols, 3 Sept. 1733.
49 Christopher Sudell was of the Preston family of that name, and was educated at Emmanuel Coll. Camb.; M.A. 1696. He had previously been rector of Aughton (ejected for simony), and vicar of Leyland (1720); at his death he was also chaplain to James earl of Derby, rector of Holy Trinity, Chester, and prebendary of the cathedral (1730). He presented brass candelabra to Ormskirk church, and was buried in the Cross Hall chapel there.
50 He was also vicar of Leyland. He was a Camb. graduate (Clare Coll.; M.A. 1736), and published two sermons. Some memorial verses upon him are printed in W. Farrer's North Meols, 83.
51 The patrons for this turn were Richard Harper, George Jarvis Tapps, and Walter Chetwynd. John Baldwin was of Peterhouse, Cambridge; M.A. 1739. He was the eldest son of the Rev. Thomas Baldwin, rector of a mediety of Liverpool, &c. In 1757 he purchased the estate of Hoole near Chester (Ormerod, Ches. ii, 813), and in 1787 succeeded to the estate of his uncle Thomas Rigby of Harrock, after which he took the surname and arms of Rigby only; see Stanley Papers (Chet. Soc.), ii, 108.
52 Educated at Wadham Coll. Oxf. M.A. 1798. He became chaplain to the duke of Clarence.
53 Educated at Trinity Coll. Oxf.; M.A. 1830. He became vicar of Poultonle-Fylde in 1828 and in 1831 perpetual curate of Bispham also, resigning both on coming to North Meols. He gave land in 1856 for the enlargement of the churchyard, and procured a partial rebuilding of the church in 1860.
54 Charles Hesketh Knowlys was educated at Trinity Coll. Camb.; M.A. 1871. He is now rector of Washfield, Devon.
55 James Denton Thompson was educated at Corpus Christi College, Camb. M.A. 1886. He was vicar of St. Leonard's, Bootle, from 1889 to 1894. He was made an honorary canon of Liverpool in 1895. In 1905 he became vicar of Birmingham.
56 Of Peterhouse, Camb.; M.A. 1904. Formerly incumbent of St. Jude's, Andreas, 1893, and rector of Wombwell, 1894.
57 Clergy List of 1541–2 (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 14.
58 Visit. Books at Chest.
59 John Bold, one of the lords of the manor, 'of his covetous and greedy mind,' took advantage of the times to seize the rector's hay and refuse him the accustomed rights of way; Duchy Pleadings, iii, 118.
The inventory of the vestments, &c. in 1552 will be found in Ch. Gds. (Chet. Soc.), 115.
60 Visit. Books at Chest.
61 Ibid.
62 Ibid.
63 Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), x, 188.
64 Visit. Books at Chest.
65 In 1641 the recusants included Ellen, wife of Thomas Hesketh, two others of the family, and four women; Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), xiv, 232.
66 Visit. Books at Chest.; so also in 1677.
67 Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 1, m. 18. The position may have been determined by a grant by Albert Bussel, among other lands, of two oxgangs in North Meols and the land between Bernes Lane and Blackshaw Brook; Kuerden's fol. MS. 53.
68 Notitia Cestr.
69 End. Char. Rep. 1899. This report includes a reprint of that of 1828.