||1,788, including 8 of inland water;
census of 1901. A small portion of
Prescot was added in 1894 by a Local
Government Board order.
||Baines, Lancs. Directory, 1824, ii, 707.
Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Soc. xix, 207.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), 44. The names of
the manors are not given, but are considered from other sources to have been
Whiston, two plough-lands; Parr, one
and a half; and Skelmersdale, one.
||Ibid. 47, where Robert Travers appears as witness to a charter dated between
1160 and 1170.
||Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 353.
Cockersand Chartul. (Chet. Soc.), ii,
603. The grant was made for the souls
of himself and his son Richard. Henry
Travers was one of the supervisors of the
work on the castle of West Derby in
1201; Lancs. Pipe R. 147; also 350,
355, for other references to him between
1189 and 1208.
Cockersand Chartul. ii, 604. His
brother Richard is mentioned in this confirmation, which from the names of the
witnesses may be dated about 1230.
Soon afterwards, a disagreement having
arisen, the matter was discussed before
judges delegated by the pope, and Adam
and his heirs were bound to the payment;
Inq. and Extents, 188, where he is
called Richard de Whiston; as Richard
Travers he is mentioned again in 1265;
ibid. 232. In 1278 Richard Travers and
Henry his son were accused of disseising
Richard le Norreys of his common of
pasture in Whiston; Assize R. 1238, m.
34d.; also m. 35. In a roll of Ogle
deeds written in 1602, which has been
lent to the editors by the Rev. F. G.
Paterson of Prescot, and is in the possession of Messrs. H. Cross & Sons, solicitors,
of that town, is a copy of a charter by
Richard Travers, granting to Richard son
of Robert le Scarseriweige land in Whiston, the bounds of which mention 'the
||Assize R. 1265, m. 5; also R. 1268,
Roger, son of Richard Travers, granted
to William de Fegherby part of his land
in Whiston, called Sutton Cliff and Sourcroft, with common of pasture in the
Holt, 'which is common pasture belonging to the vills of Eccleston, Whiston, and
Rainhill, and which shall for ever remain
common'; Ogle R. as above. Roger
also released to Alan le Norreys land in
Whiston between the Holt and Churchlee,
which had been held by Richard de Prescot of Richard, the grantor's father, at a
rent of 12d.; ibid.
||He occurs as defendant in 1292,
juror in 1304, and witness to a charter in
1314; Assize R. 408, m. 36; R. 419;
Norris D. (B.M.), n. 52.
||Dods. MSS. cxxxi, fol. 33b.
He was the son of Roger Travers; De
Banc. R. 283, m. 284.
||Ogle R. as above. The confirmation
embraced 'the whole manor' of Whiston,
and the advowson of the church of Prescot. William de Dacre died about 1318.
The service was a red rose at midsummer.
Robert had also the grant of a windmill
in Whiston from Edmund de Nevill;
Bold D. (Warr.), G. 66.
||In 1377 Robert Travers granted to
Roger de Denton, clerk, Anne his wife,
and William their son, land in Whiston;
the bounds included Wiglache, the ditch
dividing Whiston and Halsnead, and
the Oldfield; Bold D. (Warr.), G. 61.
In 1348 he gave to Robert, son of Robert
de Hurleton lands in Whiston which
Richard de Rainhill and others held of
him, for a rent of a rose; it would seem
that his daughter Margaret was to marry
the younger Hurleton; ibid. G. 60.
||Assize R. 435, m. 6 d.; Duchy of
Lanc. Assize R. 3, m. iij.
||De Banco R. 433, m. 263; 438,
m. 382. As there was at the same time
another John Travers, of Whiston or
Ridgate, there is some difficulty as to
identification occasionally. Thomas de
Lathom, who died in 1383, held Branderth in Whiston of John Travers; Duchy
of Lanc. Inq. p.m. ii, n. 7.
||It included his manor of Whiston,
and all other lands, with the homages,
rents, and services of William Daniell,
John de Halsnead, John de Standish,
Richard de Aughton, and others; Ogle R.
||Bold D. (Warr.), G. 53.
||Dods. MSS. cxlii, fol. 202b, n. 66.
||In June, 1438, there was an arbitration between Richard Praty, rector of
Prescot, and Richard Travers touching
lands called the Pirwall; it went against
the rector; Bold D. (Warr.), G. 62.
In 1443–4 Richard Travers and John
his son surrendered Whiston mill, in
Aughton's lands, to Thomas Boteler, lord
of Warrington; ibid. G. 58.
||Bold D. (Warr.), G. 64. The
manor of Whiston and lands there were
held of the lord of Dacre by fealty and
answering for him at the court of West
Derby. A grant, in connexion with the
sale, made by Thomas son and heir of
John Travers, mentions the Barfurlong,
Kilngrove, Gubbie Croft, Copped Holt,
Spital Meadow, &c., some of them being
held by Alice, the grantor's mother, as
jointure. There were free rents of 4s.
payable by Lord Stanley for Akilshaw
House, 16d. by Nicholas Aughton for
Aughton Delf, 12d. from John Bellerby
for Tottill House, and various others, the
tenants' names including John Blundell,
John Standish, James Ellom, Nicholas
Harrington of Huyton, John Garnett,
Thomas Atherton of Bickerstath, Roger
Ogle, and Thomas Lathom. The sale
appears to have been concluded by a fine
in Aug. 1482. See Ogle R.
||This appears from the inquisitions of
several of the tenants; e.g. of Thomas
Atherton, taken in 1515, and of Percival
Harrington, taken in 1535–6; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. iv, n. 68; viii, n. 41.
On the other hand those of the Lathoms
of Wolfall in Huyton declare their lands
in Whiston to be held of Thomas Travers
or his heirs, as late as 1547; ibid. vii,
n. 6; ix, n. 10.
That after the death of Richard Bold
in 1559 says that Whiston was held by
him of the heir of Thomas Dacre, Lord
Dacre, by the rent of a red rose; ibid. xi,
n. 63. The last Thomas Lord Dacre had
died in 1525. This was Dacre of the
North, heir male of the Foresters. On
the other hand Whiston was said to be
held by Richard Bold of Lord Dacre of
the South; Harl. MS. 2112, fol. 21.
||The manor appears to have been sold
by Sir Thomas Bold to John Ogle about
1608, though it is not mentioned in the
list of his possessions in 1613; Lancs. and
Ches. Rec. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
i, 32; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (same soc.), i, 254.
Henry Ogle was lord of Whiston in
1619; ibid. ii, 140.
||John Ogle and Katherine his wife in
1457 purchased lands in Upton and in
Widnes from Robert de Ditton, with
reversion of those in the tenure of Cecily
widow of William de Ditton; Duchy of
Lanc. Ct. R. bdle. 5, n. 69. The descent
from Lord Ogle is supported by the fact
that two deeds of his family appear among
the Ogle of Whiston deeds in Harl. MS.
2042, fol. 79.
||Ibid.; a deed of confirmation, dated
1506, by which Thomas son and heir of
John Travers confirmed the sales of certain messuages, lands, and services in
Whiston made by his father and himself
to Margaret relict of John Ogle, and to
Roger son and heir of the latter. This is
the last mention of the main line of
Travers of Whiston. The deed just quoted
is followed (loc. cit.) by another, dated
1515, by which John Ogle of Prescot,
probably the son of Roger, enfeoffed Sir
William Leyland, Humphrey Ogle, M.A.,
and William Ogle, chaplain, of all his
lands in England. This Humphrey Ogle,
perhaps an uncle, was afterwards a prebendary of Hereford and benefactor of
Brasenose College, Oxford, founding two
scholarships, with preference to candidates from Prescot. William Ogle was
a brother of John; he was rector of
Credenhill in 1536; L. and P. Hen. VIII,
x, 532. The will of John Ogle was
proved in 1525; he desired to be buried
in Prescot church, bequeathed his gold
seal to his son and heir John, mentioned
his daughters Alice, Margaret, Anne, and
Maud, his brother William, and his kinsman Sir William Leyland; Wills (Chet.
Soc. New Ser.), i, 224.
The inquisition taken in 1563 shows
that John Ogle had held lands in Whiston
of Richard Bold by the rent of a rose, in
Sutton of William Holland, and in
Huyton and Roby of John Harrington,
Nicholas Tyldesley, and the earl of Derby;
Edward Ogle, twenty-one years of age,
was his son and heir; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. xi, n. 42. Edward Ogle died
in Dec. 1567, leaving a son and heir John,
only nine years of age; ibid. xi, n. 23.
||The above John Ogle, son of Edward,
was the purchaser. In a fine of 1609
Thomas Brooke and John Ogle appeared
as plaintiffs and Sir Thomas Bold and
Bridget his wife as deforciants of the
manor of Whiston; the sale must have
taken place about this time; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 75, m. 83.
In 1590 John Ogle was among the
'comers to church but no communicants';
Gibson, Lydiate Hall, 246 (quoting Dom.
Eliz. ccxxxv, n. 4). With him begins
the pedigree in Dugdale's Visit. (Chet.
Soc.), 223. He was living in 1610, when
his son's marriage settlement was made,
but dead in 1619.
||Henry matriculated at Oxford (Brasenose Coll.) in 1603, aged sixteen;
Foster, Alumni Oxon.
Lancs. and Ches. Rec. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), i, 32.
Visit. loc. cit.
Royalist Comp. P. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), iv, 236; he had in Whiston
a messuage and lands; also a windmill
and watermill. He was probably the
'Master Ogle' who attended Lord Strange
in the attempt to seize Manchester in
1642; Civil War Tracts (Chet. Soc.), 51.
||Henry had fought at Edgehill, where he
was taken prisoner; ibid. 169, 178, 184.
||Cuthbert Ogle was buried 10 Sept.
1670, at Prescot; administration was
granted to his son Edward in 1673. At
this point there is an error in Dugdale's
Visit. as printed. The children of Cuthbert Ogle are given as Cuthbert, aged
eighteen; Richard, aged fourteen; and
Elizabeth. From the Prescot registers it
appears that out of several sons two—
Cuthbert and Edward—were surviving in
1664, and that Edward, unnamed by
Dugdale, was baptized in 1645, and therefore older than Cuthbert. He married
Margaret daughter of Thomas Preston of
Holker in Cartmel, and had a son Cuthbert, described as 'of Chester,' baptized in
1673 and buried in 1709, and two daughters, Catherine and Elizabeth, baptized in
1674 and 1675. His wife died shortly
after the birth of the last child, who
proved to be the heir. Cuthbert Ogle
entered St. John's Coll., Cam., in 1692;
Admissions, ii, 125. Edward Ogle was
buried 30 Dec. 1691, and his will proved
in the following year.
||A Jonathan Case, aged eleven, appears as eldest son of John Case of Huyton in the pedigree in Dugdale's Visit.
(Chet. Soc.), 70. Gregson (Fragments,
176) makes the Jonathan who married
Elizabeth Ogle to be a generation later. A
pedigree of the family may be seen in Gregson, loc. cit. In 1744–5 a settlement of
the manor of Whiston, &c. was made by
Thomas Case son of Jonathan and Margaret his wife, in conjunction with their
son Jonathan; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 332, m. 158.
||Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836), iii, 719.
||The older spelling was usually Rudgate; but Ryddegate occurs in 1332.
||Ogle R. as above. Henry Travers
was in 1292 non-suited in a complaint of
novel disseisin against Roger Travers;
Assize R. 408, m. 36.
||John son of Henry Travers brought a
suit against his father as early as 1292;
Assize R. 408, m. 36. Henry son of
Henry Travers occurs in 1356; Duchy
of Lanc. Assize R. 5, m. 25.
||John son of Henry Travers in 1368
claimed certain lands held by John Hauke
and Clemency his wife; De Banc. R.
432, m. 68. The descent suggested in
the text as most probable must not be
taken as certain.
In 1386 John Travers of Whiston
had the king's protection on proceeding
to Ireland in the retinue of Sir John de
Stanley; Cal. of Pat. 1385–9, p. 156.
||John, William, and Henry Travers
are mentioned early in the fifteenth
century. Alan de Ditton in 1425–6
entered into a bond with William Travers
of Ridgate concerning the manor of
Hardshaw, which he was not to hold
longer than twelve years from the death
of John the father of William; Henry
son of William was a party; Blundell of
Crosby D. K. 64. Two years later Henry
Blundell and Alan de Ditton released to
William Travers of Whiston, son and heir
of John Travers of Hardshaw, all the
messuages and lands they held by the
feoffment of John Travers; ibid. K. 54.
||See the account of Hardshaw in
Windle. A free rent of 3d. from John
Travers of Ridgate is mentioned in the
above-named grant by Thomas Travers
||Robert Travers of Whiston, Maud
his wife, and John his son and heir apparent, occur between 1549 and 1557;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 13, m. 25;
15, m. 46; 19, m. 83.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiv, n. 65;
the other land in Whiston was held of
Richard Bold, by the rent of 3d. John
Travers was in possession of lands in
Hardshaw, Whiston, and Rainford in 1569;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 31, m. 50.
||John Travers, apparently the younger,
was about 1583 involved in disputes with
Richard Bold as to the exact tenure of
Ridgate. The latter asserted that John
Travers of Hardshaw held certain lands of
him in his manor of Whiston by homage,
fealty, escuage, and suit of court; but,
having casually become possessed of certain court rolls and writings, had refused
to do any service, and the other free
tenants had also begun to withdraw. John
Travers, in his reply, repeated the statements as to the tenure given above from
the inquisition; to which Richard Bold
answered that it was no manor at all, but
a freehold, and had never been held by the
Hospital of St. John of Chester; Duchy
of Lanc. Pleadings, Eliz. cxxviii, B. 18;
cxxv, B. 34; cx, B. 23.
The inquisition after the death of
William Travers repeated the disputed
statement as to the tenure from the Hospital, from which it may be inferred that
Richard Bold lost the day. On the other
hand, on the Ogle roll is a decision by
the Chancellor affirming the right of
Richard Bold as lord of Whiston.
||A curiously bitter account of Travers'
behaviour at his execution is given by a
spectator. 'When he had ascended the
ladder he said "he was never guilty of any
treason in his life," ' though the others
made a formal acknowledgement of guilt.
He gave not the slightest attention to the
political and religious arguments addressed
to him, only saying, 'I die a true Catholic, and do believe all that the true
Catholic Church doth.' 'He hanged in
all men's sight till he was dead, and when
the hangman had his heart in his hand it
leapt and panted. Even thus concluded
the last part of this obstinate fellow, who
had fully purposed, as it was to be conjectured, to live a seditious person, and resolute to die a papistical traitor'; Kenyon
MSS. (Hist. MSS. Com.), 617.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p. m. xvi, n. 35.
Henry Travers was aged seventeen. A
settlement had been made in August,
1589; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 51,
||There was a recovery of the manor
of Ridgate in 1599; Pal. of Lanc. Plea
R. 284, m. 1. James Pemberton and
Henry Travers were called to warrant.
||This gift was confirmed by Henry de
Lacy, with the proviso that one leper
within the lordship of Widnes should be
maintained by the canons, that mass
should be said there at Easter, and that the
names of himself and his wife should be
inserted in their martyrology and in the
canon; Dugdale, Mon. vi, 460; Burscough Reg. fol. 56 d.
In the Escheator's Accounts, 1362–64
(Exch. L.T.R. R. 5, m. 7), is the following entry: 'One plough-land in Tarbock
which a progenitor of the king's gave to
uphold a chapel for the celebration of
divine service in the chapel of Ridgate in
the said vill of Tarbock for the souls of
the kings of England; withdrawn many
years. 30s. yearly value. Delivered 8 July,
1364, to Sir William Carles the custody
of the said plough-land to answer thereof
to the king if it be considered that the
issue belonged to the king'; Orig. 38
Edw. III. See the account of Tarbock.
||The inquisition taken in 1505 states
that Sir Henry Torbock's messuage and
land in Ridgate next Prescot had been
held of Henry Travers in socage by fealty
and the yearly rent of 12d.; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p. m. iii, n. 71.
||On the Ogle R. Halsmeadows was
on the north or Prescot side of the boundary, and Cockshoot on the south or
Whiston side; Chaps Clough, Church
Lees, and Shea Brook are also named.
Copped Holt was on the border of Eccleston.
||Assize R. 404, m. 3 d. 7; two versions of the same charge; in one the wife
is called Juliana.
||These grants are upon the Ogle R.
The bounds are thus given in the earlier
deed: Beginning on the east at the Wiggalache, which was the boundary between
Halsnead and Rainhill, and following the
syke to Longleigh Brook in the south;
along this to the Spital House in the
west, and following into the Deep Clough
as far as the Casselache in the north;
thence by the Hecseptese Gate to the
cross upon the waste, and so to the starting point. The second grant mentions
Frieny Hill as one of the boundaries on
the west. Both expressly mention its
dependence upon the 'heirs of Whiston.'
Ralph de Halsnead was plaintiff in
1283; De Banc. R. 49, m. 22d.
Thomas son of Ralph de Halsnead appears in 1304; Coram Rege R. 178, m.
20 d. In 1317 and later Emma, widow
of John de Halsnead, claimed dower in
Whiston from Henry son of John de
Molyneux, and Thomas son of Ralph de
Halsnead; De Banc. R. 220, m. 10;
221, m. 9; &c.
||Assize R. 1238, m. 34 d. 35; 1268,
m. 19 d.
||In 1346 Alice, as daughter and heir
of Alan, son of Richard le Norreys,
claimed a messuage and two plough-lands;
her story was that John son of Robert le
Norreys had entry only by demise of Robert,
who had disseised her father Alan. The
defendant called Alan le Norreys of Daresbury to warrant him. 'Halsnead' is not
named, the estate being described as a
messuage and two plough-lands in Whiston; De Banc. R. 346, m. 22; 348, m.
14 d. The 'plough-land' of this time does
not necessarily correspond with the ancient
The rents and services of William
Daniell and John de Halsnead are mentioned in a feoffment by John Travers in
1390, on the Ogle R.
John le Norreys in 1324 brought a
suit of novel disseisin against Henry son
of John de Molyneux (named in a previous
note), but did not proceed with it; Assize
R. 426, m. 1 d. Later, Alice, widow of
Adam del Grange, claimed from John le
Norreys of Halsnead an acre of land; De
Banco R. 259, m. 22.
||Nicholas le Norreys carried on the
suit with Alice, daughter of Alan; De
Banc. R. 350, m. 20. As son and heir
of John, Nicholas in 1351 and 1352
demanded certain lands from Margery de
Bold, Master Henry de Rixton having
granted them to his father John and his
wife Alice in the time of Edw. II; the
case was deferred, Richard de Bold, the
heir, being still a minor; Duchy of Lanc.
Assize R. 1, m. iiij; 2, m. vij. The
same or a later Nicholas le Norreys of
Halsnead was collector of a subsidy in
1384; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xl, App. p.
||At the end of June, 1422, William
Daniell of Daresbury gave Sir John de
Stanley the custody of all the lands in
Halsnead, sometime belonging to Nicholas
le Norreys of Halsnead, 'which he held in
chief of the said William Daniell,' in
whose hands they were by reason of the
minority of Thomas, son of Thomas de
Wetherby, cousin and heir of Nicholas,
together with the marriage of Thomas;
Ancient D. P.R.O. A 5631. This is a
second illustration of the dependence of
Halsnead upon Daresbury and Sutton.
||Very little is known of the Wetherbys beyond their attachment to the Roman
Catholic faith at the Reformation. Thomas
Wetherby paid a free rent of 6½d. to the
lord of Whiston in 1480; Ogle R.
Isabel, daughter of Piers Wetherby of
Halsnead, married Thomas Ditchfield of
Ditton at the end of the fifteenth century; Visit. of 1567 (Chet. Soc.), p. 123.
Peter Wetherby appears on the list of
gentry of the hundred made about 1512.
The will of Thomas Wetherby, of Halsnead and St. Gregory's by St. Paul's,
London, 1537, is at Somerset House
(5 Dyngeley). In 1590 Peter Wetherby,
one of the 'gentlemen of the better sort,'
was a recusant and indicted thereof; in
1593 the sheriff could not find him; Gibson, Lydiate Hall, p. 246, 261 (quoting
S.P. Dom. Eliz. ccxxxv, n. 4, and ccxxxiii).
His will was proved in 1620. The lands
of Peter Wetherby, recusant, were in 1623
granted to Anthony Croston and others;
Pat. 21 Jas. I, 27 July. George Wetherby, as a convicted recusant, paid double to
the subsidy of 1628; Norris D. (B.M.).
||Some account of the Pembertons
will be found under Burtonhead in Sutton.
John Pemberton, according to the Ogle R.
in 1480 paid a rent of 1½d. to Thomas
Travers of Whiston; with the 6½d. from
Thomas Wetherby the whole service was
8d. A dispute as to the succession took
place in 1472 between John Pemberton
and Thomas Halliwell of Wrightington;
from other deeds it appears that one or
both were heirs of William de Tunley,
whose son William married Emmota,
daughter of Simon de Gorsuch, in 1403;
Norris D. (B.M.), n. 946–9.
In 1502 James, son and heir of John
Pemberton, complained that whereas his
father had been seised of the manor of
Halsnead and other lands and tenements in
Whiston, a certain Geoffrey Molyneux
and his companions had taken possession.
At the inquiry ordered by the king in his
'great marvel and displeasure,' James
Wetherby, gentleman, 'dwelling next to
the said manor,' gave evidence. In the
result James Pemberton recovered possession; Duchy Pleadings (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), i, 14–16. James Pemberton
of Halsnead was reckoned among the
gentry in 1512. George Pemberton, who
followed, died about 1558; his son James
held the manors of Halsnead and Burtonhead in 1557–8; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 19, m. 13.
The Pemberton and Wetherby families
had various disputes in the sixteenth century, of which the following summary
may be given from the Duchy Pleadings.
George Pemberton, being seised of a
capital messuage in Whiston called Halsnead, and of various other messuages and
lands in Sutton, Bedford, and Whiston,
arranged for the succession by fine (Pal.
of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 15, m. 84), his
wife Isabel to have it after him for her
life. But in June, 1554, his son and heir
James entered the house, stole certain
deeds from a locked chest, and afterwards,
with the aid of his wife Alice, Katherine
Standish, and other riotous persons, so
molested the father that he could not
obtain any rents or profits; Duchy of
Lanc. Pleadings, Phil. and Mary, xxxiv,
P. 4. In a later complaint James Pemberton, George Wetherby, and Isabel Pemberton (then a widow), are said to have
ousted Hamlet Ditchfield and George
Lathom, the father's feoffees; ibid. Eliz.
liv, D. 7.
George Wetherby, who was in possession in 1566 (Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 27, n. 174), died in or before 1568,
leaving as his heir a natural son, Peter
Wetherby, aged seven, whose guardian
was Matthew Travers; Duchy of Lanc.
Pleadings, Eliz. lxxvii, W. 6. Eleven
years later James Pemberton and Peter
Wetherby being seised of the several
capital messuages or manor houses in
Halsnead and pasture called 'Halsnead
Heath,' were disturbed by Thomas Blundell and others, who had casually obtained
possession of certain deeds; ibid. Eliz.
cxiii, P. 4. A little later Peter Wetherby
complained that James Pemberton and
James his son and heir withheld an annual
rent of 33s. 4d. due to him from lands in
Halsnead and Whiston occupied by the
elder James; ibid. Eliz. cxix, W. 8; cxxvii,
A. 1. This rent had in 1511 been sold by
James Pemberton and Elizabeth his wife
to Richard Molyneux, and was in 1567
re-sold by John Molyneux to George
Wetherby; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdles.
11, m. 242; 29, m. 144.
A settlement of lands in Whiston and
Halsnead was made in 1585 by James
Pemberton and Alice his wife, and James,
the son and heir apparent, and Katherine
his wife; ibid. bdle. 47, m. 124, 117.
The younger James had a son James,
whose wife was Margaret; ibid. bdle. 58,
James Pemberton and George Wetherby, son of Peter, suffered sequestration
and forfeiture, under the rule of the Parliament; George's son Thomas petitioned for restoration in 1653; Cal. Com.
for Comp. iii, 1952; v, 3213; iv, 2861,
3142; and Index of Royalists (Index Soc.),
43, 44. James Pemberton's estates were
sold to John Fullerton of London; he
remonstrated against being put in the
additional Act for Sale, but in vain, for
his sequestration was for recusancy as
well as delinquency. Thomas Wetherby's
petition was successful.
||Edward Orme, who died at Tarbock
1 January, 1631–2, held land in Whiston
and in Halsnead, in each case of Henry
Ogle; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p. m. xxix, 38.
Edward, his son and heir, was eighteen
years of age in 1636.
Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), vi, 72;
see Burke, Commoners, ii, 374. Thomas
Willis's son Martin was reckoned among
the gentlemen of Huyton in 1689; Kenyon MSS. 194. Martin married Ellen
daughter of William Daniell, originally
D'Anyers, of Over Tabley, who had been
a colonel in the Parliamentary forces in the
Civil War; his elder son Thomas died in
1727; the younger, Daniell, lived until
1763, having arranged the succession.
Their house at Halsnead was called the
Red Hall; Char. Rep. of 1828. A plate
of Chester in Browne Willis's Cathedrals states that it had been given by
'Thomas Willis of Wigan, the author's
only Willis cousin.' Some letters from
this Thomas to the antiquary are printed
in Local Gleanings, Lancs. and Ches. i, 62,
71; he knew little of his ancestry, but desired a confirmation of the arms he used.
||In 1728 administration of the estate
of Thomas Willis of Liverpool was
granted to Daniell Willis, brother and
next of kin.
||By his will, 1758, Daniell Willis
left his estates in Prescot, Huyton, Standish, Bolton, Eccles, Wigan, Wigan
Woodhouses, and Ireland, under different
limitations, to kinsmen: Thomas Swettenham of Swettenham, esq., Roger
Mainwaring of Church Minshull, William
Heyes son of Robert Heyes (late collector
of excise at Northwich) by Elizabeth his
wife; Willis Martin, only son of Edward
Martin of the General Post Office in
Dublin; and Ralph, Thomas, and William Earle. The owner of Halsnead was
to take the name of Willis. From a
note by Mr. W. F. Irvine.
||Ormerod, Ches. (ed. Helsby), iii, 74.
||Elizabeth, daughter of William
Daniell, had married Ralph Finch of
Chester; their daughter Mary married
John Earle of Liverpool, as his second
wife, and Roger Earle was their son;
Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), vi, 30–39, 72,
74. He was a merchant in Liverpool, and
mayor in 1769; in politics a Whig.
||This account of the family has been
taken from the paper already quoted in
Trans. Hist. Soc. and from Burke's Landed
||There are several charges against
Thomas Atherton of Halsnead the elder,
called also the coroner, and Thomas
Atherton the younger, for debt, waylaying
and defaults, between 1443 and 1446;
Pal. of Lanc. Plea. R. 8, m. 4, &c.
Thomas Atherton of Prescot, executor of
the will of Edward Atherton, one of the
chaplains of St. Stephen's, Westminster,
had absolution for contumacy in 1459–60;
Dods. MSS. cxlii, fol. 229b.
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i,
239, 242. In 1619 George Georgeson
alias Dam was found to be holding lands
in Whiston of Henry Ogle; the Irelands
and Bolds were also freeholders; Lancs.
Inq. p.m. (same soc.), ii, 139.
||Norris D. (B.M.).
||Lay Subs. 250–9.
||Estcourt and Payne, Eng. Cath. Nonjurors, 120, 121, 119.
||For the district see Lond. Gaz.
22 June, 1869. The vicar of Prescot is