||2,632, including 58 of inland water;
Census Rep. of 1901. A small portion
was taken into Prescot in 1894, and
another portion into St. Helens in 1898.
||Pennant, Tour to Alston Moor, 18.
||Brockbank, St. Helens, 25.
Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Soc. xix, 208.
There is a small disused burial ground
here, and according to tradition there was
formerly a chapel; see the account of the
N. and Q. (10th Ser.), v, 470.
Pal. Note Book, i, 7.
||A writer in the Liverpool Daily Post,
referring apparently to some Farington
||In 1311 it is called 'one knight's
fee'; the rent was 3s. 6d. for sake fee,
and suit was done to Widnes court; De
Lacy Inquest (Chet. Soc.), p. 23. The ten
plough-lands in this fee were unequally
divided; thus Sutton, with four, was
called half a fee; and Rainhill, with two,
had its exact share, one-fifth; Eccleston
having the remainder.
||William called Samson by his charter
quitclaimed to Alan le Norreys (of Sutton),
and after his death to Henry and Gilbert
his sons and their wives, Margery and
Maud, daughters of Robert de Ireland and
Beatrice his wife, the homage of Robert
de Eccleston for six plough-lands, namely
two in Rainhill, and four in Eccleston, and
the 3s. a year Robert had been accustomed to pay the grantor; Dods. MSS.
cxlii, fol. 241. Samson is also found as
a surname in Wallasey, another manor
held of the constable of Chester; Ormerod,
Ches. (ed. Helsby), ii, 472.
The bounds of Eccleston in 1384 are
thus described in a deed in the Prescot
town chest: 'Beginning at the Wellsyke, which is the division between
Churchley and Eccleston, following a certain water called the Shaw brook by the
division of Whiston and Rainhill to the
Akenford in the highway called Chestergate between Eccleston, Sutton, and Rainhill, where it ceaseth to be calleth Shaw
brook and beginneth to be called Ritherope
brook; and so following the Chester gate
between Wheashaw and Sutton to the
Brown hedge, and so leading the said way
between Scholes and Sutton to the Frogley
head, and following the Frogley to Shotwell brook, and following Shotwell brook
to the Noter brook, and from Noter
brook, by the divisions of Windle to the
Longborough, and so from Longborough
to the head of Cattshaw green, and so by
a line to the Whitlow carrs, and from
Whitlow carrs to a certain ditch between
Knowsley and the land of Roger Prescott
in Eccleston, and following the said ditch
to Deishurst lane, and so from Deishurst
lane between the division of …and
Knowsley to the bounds of Prescot, and
so leading between the Healley moss and
Prescot, by the Liverpool gate to the
Wellsyke, which is the first division.'
Cockersand Chartul. (Chet. Soc.), ii,
600. There were two grants, the second
being for the souls of his predecessors.
Nicholas and Adam, sons of Nicholas, with
Hugh's permission, also became benefactors.
||Hale D. printed in Final Conc. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 139.
||In this year Richard de Eccleston was
a defendant; Assize R. 404, m. 11.
||In 1276 Robert de Eccleston was
concerned in several pleas; Assize R.
405, m. 1, 2. At the same time Richard
de Wulcrofthead accused him and others
of razing his dike, so that their cattle
entered and destroyed his corn. The defendants alleged that he wished to improve
to himself a part of the common pasture
of the vill of Wolfscroft; whereupon
Robert de Eccleston caused the dike
around this encroachment to be removed.
The jury acquitted the defendants; ibid.
m. 1 d.
The 'vill of Wolfscroft' is now unknown; but in 1292 William son of
Beatrice de Glest and others of the family
were charged with disseising Richard de
Wolcroftshead of his common pasture in
Eccleston, and plaintiff recovered; Assize
R. 408, m. 69. Thomas son of Richard de
Wolcroftshead was defendant in 1324;
Assize R. 426, m. 3 d.
Robert de Eccleston is described as son
of Richard and calls Hugh his grandfather
in a grant of land formerly held by
Walter, 'famulus sororis de Polleswrthe';
the boundaries included a portion of the
Kirkgate of Parr; Cockersand Chartul. ii,
In 1280, Amery, widow of Robert,
claimed her dower in certain lands held
by Peter de Windle; De Banc. R. 32,
m. 20 d. In 1292 Robert de Eccleston
complained that whereas she held 6 messuages, 4 oxgangs of land, 4 acres of wood,
and the third part of 20 acres of wood in
Eccleston, she felled 20 oaks, worth 4d.
each, destroyed 12 orchards worth 2s.,
2 granges worth 100s., and a chamber
worth 40s. The sheriff made inquiry,
when it was found that defendant had
made no waste, but that part of a decayed
house fell of itself and was carried away
by her, the amount of damage being 3s.;
Assize R. 408, m. 29; also m. 53, 55 d.
67 d. 91 d. 93 d.
||Richard, Alice, and Cecily are mentioned. The latter died in or before 1285,
when her brother Richard unsuccessfully
laid claim to 10 acres she had held in
Eccleston, and into which Robert de
Eccleston had entered as heir; Assize R.
1271, m. 11 d. Alice received from her
father land called Coldfield; in this
Amery claimed dower, but was satisfied
by Robert's allowing her an equal amount
of his own land; Assize R. 408, m. 16.
Alice seems to have had a daughter Joan,
who was dispossessed of her mother's lands
by Alan de Eccleston and others about
1324; Assize R. 426, m. 2 d.
||Assize R. 1271, m. 11 d. where it is
stated that Robert entered after the death
of his grandfather Robert. He is frequently called son of Alan; e.g. Assize R.
408, m. 52 d. In 1305 he arranged for
the succession to the manor, granting it
to his son Alan, with remainder to
a younger son Henry; Final Conc. i,
Several of his charters have been preserved. By one he granted his brother
Stephen land in Eccleston, the bounds of
which began at the Milnewards Garth and
proceeded along the divisions between
various riddings, for a rent of 12d.;
Towneley MS. GG. n. 2091. By another,
Henry son of William de Grimsditch
received an addition to his holding; Add.
MS 32107, n. 370.
Robert died between 1306 (De Banc.
R. 161, m. 365 d.) and Sept. 1315, when
his widow Isabel gave to Roger de Prescot, clerk, and his wife and children land
near the house of Henry Halshagh and
below Lystanhurst Field; Add. MS.
32107, n. 371.
||Alan de Eccleston and his wife Alice
are frequently mentioned from 1324 onwards; Assize R. 426, m. 2 d. 3 d. 5;
Final Conc. ii, 85, 123—this last being a
settlement of the manor made in 1347.
About the same time he was relieved
from service on assizes, &c.; Assize R.
1435, m. 16 d.
At the Widnes court in 1349, Alan de
Eccleston having died seised of the manors
of Eccleston and Rainhill, held by knight's
service of Clemency, daughter of Alan le
Norreys of Daresbury, John de Eccleston
as cousin and heir came into court and
did fealty to the lord, Clemency being
still a minor. The service is stated as
half a knight's fee, and 3s. a year at
Martinmas for all services; he paid 50s.
for his relief; Dods. MSS. xxxii, fol. 12b.
The relationship of John and Alan is
established by Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 6,
m. 1 d.
John de Eccleston occurs from 1350
to 1378; Assize R. 443; 441, m. 3 d.;
De Banco R. 457, m. 187 d.; Dods.
MSS. cxlii, fol. 200; Dep. Keeper's Rep.
xxxii, App. 334, 352.
An extent and rental of his estates
made in 1373 are preserved at Scarisbrick.
The former gives a number of field names,
as Standeley, Fetherbyley, Maiot Hey,
Dearbought, 'a certain hey called the
Park, which contains six acres,' Blackhurst, &c. There were two windmills
and two water-mills, which, with the turbary, brought in £12 a year. John de
Eccleston also held lands in Newton,
called Perpount Field and the Held. His
demesne lands and rents in Eccleston and
Newton were worth £68 6s. 3d. a year;
and he had also in Makerfield, as dower
of his wife, £40 13s. 4d.
||In 1381–2, Robert son of John de
Eccleston rendered to William Daniell of
Daresbury a formal recognition of the
latter's right to his wardship and marriage
on his father's death; Dods. MSS. cxlii,
fol. 242b. It does not appear that Robert
succeeded, but a Robert de Eccleston was
a juror in 1385; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet.
Soc.), i, 18. He had also letters of protection in this year on his going into
Portugal; Visit. of 1533 (Chet. Soc.),
221 (quoting Rymer's Foed. ed. 1740, III,
Henry de Eccleston had first place
among the witnesses to a Glest charter
in 1388; Towneley MS. GG. n. 2098.
In 1395 he obtained a licence for his
oratory in the parish of Prescot; Lich.
Epis. Reg. vi, fol. 132b. In April, 1405,
William Daniell of Daresbury, senior,
and William Daniell, junior, granted to
Sir Thomas Gerard wardship of the lands
and heir of Henry de Eccleston, until the
heir should come of age; 40 marks was
paid for this grant; Dods. MSS. cxlii,
This heir was probably the John de
Eccleston who is mentioned in the reigns
of Henry V and VI. Thus in the same
inquisition Sir Thomas Gerard, who died
in 1416, is said to have held part of Rainhill from the heir of Henry de Eccleston,
and land in Eccleston from John de
Eccleston; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i,
123. John was a juror at the Widnes
court in 15 (?) Hen. VI, and witness to
charters in 1441 and 1453; Dods. MSS.
cxlii, fol. 240, 204, 246 John de Eccleston married Agnes, one of the daughters
and coheirs of Matthew de Kenyon (who
died in 1419), and by her had lands in
Kenyon, Culcheth, &c. Agnes his widow
was living in 1459, when she made a
settlement of lands on her son William,
with remainder to his brother John;
Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.), xxxviii, 538;
Duchy Plead. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
A rental of the second John, lord of
Eccleston, compiled about 1476, is preserved at Scarisbrick. It comprises both
Eccleston and Held. It shows that the
following payments were made: To the
king, for sake and ward, 4s. 4d.; to
Thomas Daniell, for rent of Eccleston,
5s. 1d.; to the abbot of Cockersand, for
the Cockersand butts, 12d.; to the king,
for the fines of the Halmotes of Eccleston,
2s.; to the baron of Newton, for land in
the Held, —. It also gives the services
of the free tenants: for every tenement
upon which a cart and plough can be
kept, one day's work at ploughing the
lord's land; two days with a cart, viz. one
day carting the manure from the dungheap and one day carting fuel from the
turf-ground; two days' reaping in autumn
and one cutting turf. These were the
double or greater averages. For a smaller
tenement, one day's work at digging turf,
two days' reaping, one day filling the carts
with manure; these were the simple or
minor 'averages.' Attendance at court
and halmote was required. The rights
of pasture and turbary were not prescriptive, but by agreement between tenant
and lord. The 2s. paid to the king was
for the liberty of appointing their own
officers and being excused from attendance
at the Farnworth court; Beamont, Halton
||Ralph de Eccleston was lord of the
manor in 1483, according to the Duchy
Feodary; Duchy of Lanc. Misc. cxxx.
Two years later he was one of the trustees
nominated by Sir Richard Bold; Dods.
MSS. cxlii, fol. 208, n. 105–6. One of his
rentals, made about 1520, but dated 1449,
is preserved at Scarisbrick; the demesne
lands produced £75 4s. 6d.
The inquisition after Ralph's death
(Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, n. 46) gives
many particulars of interest. His father,
John Eccleston, in 1466 made provision
for Ralph's marriage with Agnes, daughter
of William Leyland, by granting them
messuages and lands in Eccleston and
Newton. His manors were Eccleston
and Rainhill, extending to 6 plough-lands,
and held of Tucher Bold, by the service
of half a knight's fee and a rent of 5s. 1d.;
Lowton and Newton held of Thomas
Langton by a rent of 35s.; lands in Kenyon held of Thurstan Holland, and in
Culcheth of Lord FitzWalter. His son
Henry having died before him, his heir
was his grandson John, then aged twenty-six.
His will is given in full. It provided
for the marriage of his grandson and
heir John with Katherine, daughter of
Sir Henry Halsall. He desired to be
buried in Prescot church before St. Mary's
image; his best 'wike' beast was to be
paid to the curate as mortuary, and the
whole expenses of the burial were not to
exceed £6 13s. 4d. To the parish priest
of Prescot was to be paid 12d. a year, to
pray every Sunday for the souls of John
Eccleston and Agnes his wife, John Eccleston and Ellen his wife, Henry Eccleston
and Ellen his wife—these being apparently
his grandparents, parents, and son and
wife—also Catherine, William, and Richard
Eccleston. Ralph's son Henry was living
in 1506; Towneley MS. CC. n. 836.
||It is taken in the first place from the
pedigrees recorded in 1567 and 1664—
Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 1567, p. 97, and 1664,
p. 101; and from other sources as given
||Besides Thomas there was a younger
son Henry, who with his wife Grace
settled certain lands in Parr and Lathom
upon their son Thomas, with remainder to
Henry's brother Thomas, and a further remainder to the heirs male of his grandfather Henry; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 14, m. 145. A Thomas Eccleston
holding lands in Parr and Lathom died in
1632–3, leaving as his heir a grandson
Henry (son of Henry), then aged twentyone; Towneley MS. C. 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.),
A settlement of certain property was
made in August, 1556, by Thomas Eccleston and Margery his wife; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 17, m. 114. Thomas
died before 1565, when Henry Eccleston
and Margery his wife were in possession;
ibid. bdle. 27, m. 156.
||He died in 1598, holding the manor
of Eccleston of Richard Bold, with 100
messuages, &c., four windmills, two
water-mills, 1,000 acres of land, &c., in
Eccleston, Sutton, Rainhill, Skelmersdale,
Rainford, Liverpool, Ditton, Childwall,
and Lathom; free rents; also certain
services of ploughing, shearing, delving
and leading of turves and filling and leading of dung; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m.
xvii, n. 9. The feet of fines contain
many particulars of his acquisitions. In
1590 he was described as 'of fair living,'
and in 'some degree of conformity' to
the queen's ecclesiastical laws, though 'in
general note of evil affection in religion';
he was afterwards a justice of the peace.
His wife Margery was a known recusant
and indicted thereof, and so was Mary,
the wife of his son and heir Edward. See
Gibson, Lydiate Hall, 244, 247 (quoting
S.P. Dom. Eliz. ccxxxv, n. 4); Kenyon
MSS. (Hist. MSS. Com.), 583.
||He was thirty-five years old at his
father's death. He was one of the 'obstinate' persons who could not be found by
the sheriff in 1593; while five years later
he was specially assessed £20 as a recusant 'for her Majesty's service in Ireland';
Gibson, Lydiate Hall, 261–2 (quoting
S.P. Dom. Eliz. ccxxxiii, and vol. cclxvi,
n. 80). In 1599 he was reported by the
bishop of Chester to the queen's ministers
as one of the chief maintainers of the missionary priests then labouring in Lancashire; Foley, Rec. S. J. i, 641 (quoting S.P.
Dom. Eliz. cclxxiv, n. 25). His possessions
were leased by the crown to Charles Grimston; Lancs. and Ches. Rec. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 344. Rentals of
1609 and 1612 are preserved at Scarisbrick.
||Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 94, m.
29. The will of Edward Eccleston was
proved in 1623.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvi, n. 21.
In this Henry is stated to have died on
10 April, 1628, the heir being his son
Edward, aged eighteen years. Henry
Eccleston and his wife appeared regularly
in the recusant rolls; Gillow, Bibliog.
Dict. of Engl. Cath. ii, 154.
Edward Eccleston's will was proved at
Chester in 1631.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvii, n. 45.
Mary Ward, widow of Edward, father of
the Henry of 1631, was living at Eccleston,
as was Anne Hickman, widow of Henry
||Thomas Eccleston and Jane his wife
were in possession in 1637, when a settlement of the estates was made; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 132, n. 37.
||Gillow, as above; Visit. of 1664
(Chet. Soc.), 101.
Cal. Com. for Comp., i, 506; 'In
the cases of Eccleston and Ireland it
was pretended to us that the children
were under the tuition of Col. Ireland,
which appears by what you write to be a
deceit. We have written to Col. Ireland
to take the children into his custody and
see them placed with godly persons, to be
educated Protestants. If he do this he
may have the rents of their estates to
provide for their expenses.' Also iii,
Thomas Eccleston, the younger son,
became a Jesuit in 1668, and was sent
to the Lancashire mission, becoming rector
in 1696. He died at Fazakerley in 1698;
Gillow as above; Foley, Rec. S. J. vii, 220.
||Gillow, op. cit. 155; Foley, loc. cit.
Fr. Eccleston was the author of a treatise
on The Way to Happiness, published in
1726. A settlement of the estates,
described as the manor and park of Eccleston, lands in Burtonhead, &c., was made
early in 1686, the deforciants being
Thomas Eccleston, esq., and Thomas
Eccleston, gentleman, the latter, no
doubt, the Jesuit uncle; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 218, m. 35. Ten years
later a further arrangement was made;
ibid. bdle. 237, m. 31.
As 'Thomas Eccleston, of Eccleston-juxta-Knowsley, esquire,' he registered
his estate in 1717 as of the value of
£341 5s. 10d.; it was subject to annuities of £100 to his mother Eleonora, to
whom the hall was let for £60, and of £4
to his sister Anne. His mother's annuity
was also registered; Engl. Cath. Non-jurors,
117. His petition on the forfeiture
brought about by Hitchmough's disclosures is printed, with illustrative matter, in Payne's Rec. of Engl. Cath. 149–
||An indenture enrolled at Preston in
1749 recites the settlement made by
Thomas Eccleston in 1725; Piccope
MSS. (Chet. Lib.), iii, 356 (from R. of
23 Geo. II at Preston).
||W. A. Abram, Lancs. and Ches. Antiq.
Notes, ii, 242–50. The advertisement of
sale describes the property as 'the manor
or lordship or reputed manor or lordship
of Eccleston,' with mansion house, farms,
&c., mines of coal, beds of valuable potter's
clay, and timber. There was a recovery
of the manors of Eccleston and Burtonhead, &c. in 1777; Com. Pleas Recov. R.
Trin. 17 Geo. III, m. 60, 70, 129d.
||Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836), iii, 709.
||Burke, Landed Gentry; Taylor of
||Ex inform. Mr. Samuel Taylor.
||Duchy of Lanc. Returns (blue book),
1858, p. 6.
Cockersand Chartul. (Chet. Soc.), ii,
599. Roger de Beauchamp was lord of
Little Croglin and Staffol in Cumberland about 1200–30; his heirs were his
sisters Alice and Amabel, living in 1240;
Reg. of Wetherhal (Cumb. and Westmld.
Arch. Soc.), 256, 281. His connexion
with this part of Lancashire is illustrated
by a grant of land in Staffol, possibly
made by him, to Alan le Norreys of
Sutton; Final Conc. i, 106.
||Dods. MSS. xxxii, fol. 7. The bounds
are fully described. Beginning at the
corner of Richard's field in Bold they extended to a butt by the land of Richard
de Wolfcroftshead, followed a ditch to the
boundary of Rainhill, went along this
boundary of the Chestergate—not the
same road to Chester as that mentioned
under Burtonhead; passing the road
leading from Sutton to Prescot church,
the limit coincided with the Chestergate
as far as the corner of the field of Scholes,
and followed the edge of this field to the
starting point. Forty shillings a year was
to be paid for all services.
Richard de Molyneux made a complaint
of disseisin in 1301; Assize R. 1321, m. 8.
||Assize R. 426, m. 9, 9 d.; 1425,
m. 5. It is here called the 'manor' of
Scholes; Beatrice held it after her husband's death, in accordance with the
original grant. About 1344 the 40s. rent
had fallen into arrears; and Alan de
Eccleston distrained, and a rescue was
made by Sir John de Molyneux and his
men, the damages being assessed by the
jury at £6; Assize R. 1435, m. 36 d.
||The manor of Scholes in the vill of
Eccleston was included by Sir John in a
grant of his lands made in 1349; Blundell of Crosby evidences, K. 258 (original
at Little Crosby).
||The reason of Standish's succession
does not appear.
In 1366 John de Lancaster of Rainhill, as
heir of a daughter of Richard de Molyneux,
claimed a messuage, five oxgangs of land,
&c. in Eccleston [i.e. Scholes], from Ralph
de Standish; but the case was deferred be-
cause Ralph was then serving the king in
Aquitaine in the retinue of the Black
Prince, and had the usual protection; De
Banc. R. 422, m. 371d. Ralph de
Standish was holding Scholes in 1373,
paying the 40s. rent; and Henry Standish
about 1520, according to the rentals, but
the last name is erased. The Cockersand
rentals show that Ralph Standish was
tenant of the abbey's lands at Scholes in
1451 and 1461, and Henry Standish in
1501; Cockersand Chartul. iv, 1248–9.
The inquisition taken after the death
of George Standish gives many particulars
of the family history and holdings. The
above Henry Standish had a son and heir
John, who in 1523 settled lands in
Upholland and Orrell upon Elizabeth,
daughter of James Manley, on her marriage with his son and heir George. The
latter in 1547 enfeoffed Richard Bower
of the Scholes and other lands. George's
son and heir William, described as of
Conington in Huntingdonshire, gentleman,
was long before his father's death hanged
at Tur Langton in Leicestershire for
murder; and William's son William, aged
thirteen, was the heir of his grandfather,
who died 29 June, 1552. His will, dated
the day of his death, left the Scholes to
his son John for life. The tenure was by
knight's service, viz. by two parts of a
fee in five parts divided, and a rent
of 40s.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. ix,
William Standish appears to have sold
or mortgaged part of his lands in 1561–8;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdles. 23, m. 126,
132; 24, m. 229; 30, m. 87. To the
last of these his wife Margery was a party.
He died in 1602, seised of the capital
messuage called Scholes, with the lands
appertaining to it and other property in
Eccleston. John, the eldest son, succeeded, being nearly forty years of age;
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 46. A change had taken place
in the tenure, which was now socage and
1d. rent, Henry Eccleston having parted
with the old 40s. rent and the homage
and service of the tenant in 1565; Pal.
of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 27, m. 52. The
heir is probably the 'John Standish, gent.
of Eccleston,' buried at Prescot 22 Mar.
1612. A William Standish was a freeholder in the township in 1628; Norris
||Oliver Lyme, who died in 1631, held
the hall of Scholes of Thomas Eccleston;
his son and heir was William, aged twenty-three years, and his son William is mentioned in Oliver's will; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. xxvii, n. 50.
||John Hurst had two daughters and
coheirs—Anne, who married James Brettargh of the Holt and died in 1762, and
Catherine Cobham, a widow in 1750;
see the account of Little Woolton. The
latter or her heirs would be the vendors.
Over a bedroom fireplace in the house
are the initials
probably referring to the Hursts. A curious knocker
and a mediaeval lock may be seen in the
house, and there is a very good staircase.
In the garden is a very interesting seventeenth-century shrine, in the form of a
stone pillar carrying a rectangular niche
for a figure, but now empty; it is said to
have been set up by Richard, lord Molyneux, the Jesuit.
||N. Blundell's Diary, 138, 161.
||Land Tax Ret. at Preston.
||Ex inform. Mr. Stapleton-Bretherton.
||Assize R. 405, m. 1.
||Richard son of Adam de Glest had a
grant from Robert de Eccleston at the
beginning of 1303; Towneley MS. GG.
(Add. MS. 32107), n. 2082. In 1318
Richard de Glest granted his son Robert
land by the Woodbrook; ibid. n. 2087.
Robert de Prescot brought a complaint
in 1346 against Robert and William de
Glest, Richard le Bower and others, concerning digging in his turbary; De
Banc. R. 347, m. 15d. Thirty years later
John son of William son of Roger de
Glest quitclaimed all rights in certain
tenements acquired by William son of
Robert from William son of Richard son
of Roger de Glest; GG. n. 2122, 2098.
In 1381 it appears from the poll tax
rolls that William and John Glest paid
in Eccleston. Besides William de Glest
the Eccleston rent-roll of 1373 mentions
'the heirs of John Glest.'
The deeds in Towneley in the main
do not fit in well with the above
outline. They start with a certain William de Rainford who had sons Richard
and Roger; ibid. n. 2086, 2084, 2121.
Roger de Glest and Beatrice his wife in
1311 agreed with Robert de Faurokeshagh (Forshaw) that his daughter Emma
should wed their son Adam. (There was
another Adam, son of Hugh, living about
the same time; ibid. n. 2107, and Assize
R. 420, m. 9.) William de Glest, son of
Roger the clerk of Prescot occurs in 1328,
and William son of Reginald de Glest
earlier; GG. n. 2108, 2088. Adam son
of Roger de Glest in 1317 resigned to
Thomas de Shaldford all his claim in lands
granted to Thomas by Roger; among the
witnesses were Roger, clerk of Prescot,
and Richard his brother; GG. n. 384.
In Dec. 1313, William de Glest
gave to Agnes, daughter of Thomas
Moody, and her issue, houses and lands in
Eccleston, naming the Wheatcroft and
Denecroft, and barnstead; also the garden
which Robert, son of John de Rainford
held of the grantor; with housebote, heybote, and other easements. There was a
remainder to her brother Thomas. Bold
D. at Warr. F. 72.
Among the various pleas are some
which may assist in tracing the history of
the place. In 1292 William son of
Beatrice de Glest, and Beatrice and Emma
his daughters, were accused of disseising
Richard de Wolfcroftshead of common
of pasture in Eccleston; Assize R. 408,
||About 1410 a settlement of his lands
was made by Richard de Glest, apparently
the son of William son of Robert; for
though his eldest son was Thomas, who
married Agnes, daughter of Richard, son
of Alan de Parr, the estate appears to have
descended to a younger son Henry, to
whom the feoffees of William son of
Robert gave up his lands in 1424; GG.
n. 2081, 2114, 2089, 2090.
In 1525 Thomas Glest claimed from
Humphrey Glest ten acres in Eccleston,
which Henry son of Walter de Ridgate
had given to Robert son of Richard de
Glest in free marriage with his daughter
Agnes; the following was the pedigree
alleged—Richard de Glest—s. Robert, who
married Agnes—s. William—s. Richard
—s. Henry—s. William—s. Thomas
(plaintiff); Pal. of Lanc. Plea. R. 141,
||Humphrey Glest of Glest in 1528
married Agnes, daughter of Ellis Gorsuch
of Knowsley, and it was probably their
son Ellis Glest who died in 1592, leaving
a son and heir James aged 40 years in 1601;
though in a deed of 1578 his son and
heir was named John; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. xviii, n. 19, 38; GG. n. 2095,
2101, &c. James Glest married a daughter and coheir of James Cropper of Rainford; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), iii,
||In 1607 and later disputes occurred between Edward Eccleston and James Glest
as to the services due to the lord of Eccleston; the latter seems to have justified his
claim; Pal. of Lanc. Plea. R. 299, m.
10d.; 304, m. 17.
||Amery de Eccleston brought suits
for dower against William and Roger de
Stonyhurst in 1292; William's brother
Henry is also mentioned; Assize R. 408,
m. 55d. 53, 101d. Twelve years later
Richard Fox complained that John son of
Henry de Stonyhurst and Agnes his
sister, Roger the clerk of Glest and Roger
de Glest had disseised him of his free
tenement in Eccleston; but his suit
failed as he had not included Thomas, the
eldest son of the last named Roger, who
held jointly with his father under a charter from John, son of Henry de Wolfall;
Assize R. 419, m. 6 d.
William de Stonyhurst was defendant
in claims made about the same time by
Robert de Eccleston, who failed and was
outlawed; De Banc. R. 153, m. 104; and
161, m. 365d. Henry son of William
de Stonyhurst occurs in 1345 and later
years; De Banc. R. 344, m. 40d.; 457, m.
The principal property seems to have
passed about 1344 into the hands of
Henry de Ditton, perhaps by purchase
from Cecily de Bury; Final Conc. ii,
121. Henry de Ditton in 1347 sued
Alan de Eccleston and Alice his wife
regarding waste; De Banc. R. 358, m.
64d. Henry occurs in later suits, and in
1373 his heirs were holding Stonyhurst
for a rent of 2s.; Eccleston rental
(Scarisbrick Hall). A suit in which
Henry de Ditton was defendant was in
1358 brought by Adam de Bury and
Cecily his wife concerning houses and
land in Eccleston which Cecily should
have received as heir of her nephew John
son of William del Hurst, who had died
without issue; Assize R. 438, m. 15.
||William de Knapton in 1292, in reply
to a demand by Amery de Eccleston,
asserted that his charter, given by her
husband, had been burnt in a fire at
Knapton which had consumed his houses
and all his goods; Assize R. 408, m. 16,
102; also m. 91 d. 99 d. John son of
William de Knapton in 1324–5 claimed
certain lands as his by descent, but withdrew; Assize R. 426, m. 2 d. 5. Richard
son of William occurs about the same
time; De Banc. R. 258, m. 163.
||In 1339 Robert de Prescot secured a
sixth part of the 'manor' of Glest from
Mariota, wife of William del Hull of
Bickerstaffe; Final Conc. ii, 110; see also
pp. 104–5. Robert and his wife Isabel
in 1346 called upon Sir Edmund de
Nevill to warrant to them certain houses
claimed by Richard de Stockley; De Banc.
R. 348, m. 235d.; 349, m. 243. In
1350 Robert charged Adam de Glest and
Robert his son with the abduction of
William son and heir of Richard son of
Roger de Glest; De Banc. R. 363, m.
In the following year Edmund de
Prescot (son of Robert) sued Adam son of
Roger de Glest and Robert his brother for
depasturing and treading down his corn
at Glest; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 1,
m. iij; see R. 4, m. 14; 5, m. 7. The
same Edmund was party to a fine concerning lands in Eccleston in 1355 (Final
Conc. ii, 147), and appears in the Eccleston rental of 1373 as holding 'divers
lands' for a total rent of 2s. 2½d. He
was ordered to be imprisoned for debt in
1374, but could not be found; among
other tenements he had a hall, kitchen,
and oxhouse at Eccleston; De Banc. R.
454, m. 141d.
The rental of the time of Hen. VIII
shows Edward Prescot tenant of a messuage, rent 6d.; that of 1609 has Henry
Prescot, paying 6d. also.
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i,
238, &c. The name of Edward Eccleston has pp. against it.
The earl of Derby was a freeholder also.
From the Eccleston rental of the time of
Edw. IV (about 1480) it appears that
Thomas Lord Stanley's interest was
derived from purchases of land which had
been held by James de Prescot, at a rent
of 2s. 0½d. (cf. Edmund de Prescot's rent
above quoted); by Agnes de Stonyhurst
at 6d.; and by Eustace the Mercer. Further purchases brought up the rental payable by Thomas earl of Derby about 1520
to 3s. 7½d. and by William earl of Derby
in 1609 to 4s. Part of their holding was
in Glest, as is shown by the inquisitions
of Henry Coney of Ditton (1598) and
John Parr of Glest, who had bought Coney's
lands; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 182.
Besides those already named the rental
of 1609 gives the following paying chief
rents: Robert Torbock, 1d.; Thomas
and George Lyon, 2s.; William Webster
3s.; John Parr, 18d.; and Thomas
Glover, 6d. The Parrs occur early;
Assize R. 1435, m. 31d. Henry de
Woodfall held land by charter in 1373,
according to the Eccleston rental, paying
6d.; but the family seem to have sold
their lands in the time of Elizabeth; Pal.
of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 24, m. 236 (a
sale to Thomas Torbock); 35, m. 74.
Edward Halsall, who died in 1594, had
built a residence here, which he desired to
be preserved in good order, with its heirlooms; Piccope, Wills (Chet. Soc.), ii,
216. Henry Lyon and Ellen his wife had
a messuage and land in Eccleston which
descended to their son and heir Robert,
and then as follows:—s. George—s. Henry
—s. William Lyon, claimant in 1570;
Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 227, m. 11.
||Ellen Hankinson, widow, had had
two-thirds of her estate sequestered for recusancy only; Royalist Comp. P. iii, 150.
Possibly she belonged to Eccleston in the
Fylde. Henry Harwood of Eccleston, who
was 'no delinquent nor recusant,' petitioned for the restoration of his deceased
father's lands, sequestered for both the
offences mentioned; ibid. iii, 173. Ralph
Holland, of Eccleston, who had taken the
oath of abjuration and was 'a constant
frequenter' of the 'congregation of Ellen's,'
thought that his estate must have been
sequestered by mistake; ibid. iii, 238.
||Lay Subs. 250–9; the hall had fifteen
hearths, and was the largest house in the
parish, except Bold. Thomas Alcock's
house had nine; James Glest's, George
Cockerham's, and George Lyon's, five
Engl. Cath. Non-jurors, 117–19, 155.
John Taylor is described as 'gentleman';
he had brothers, Thomas and Edmund,
and a mother, Anne; 118.
||It had a chapel of ease called St. Paul's,
built in 1881.
||Dr. Adam Clarke wrote part of his
Commentary at Millbrook.
||The conduct of the Eccleston family
has been told in the text. In 1626
twenty-four other names appear on the
recusant roll for this township, headed
by 'Edward Standish, gent.'; Lay Subs.
||The mission was served at the hall by
Jesuit fathers, of whom John Swinbourn is
named in 1701, as receiving a stipend of
£36 from Thomas Eccleston, and George
Palmer in 1750, receiving £21, and
having a congregation of forty or fifty.
Foley, Rec. S.J. v, 321, 397–9. An
interesting memorandum is printed here
to the effect that a silver chalice used at
Eccleston Hall was a gift to the family, to
be kept there 'until that happy time that
catholic religion is restored and mass said
in Prescot church,' when it was to be
given to this church.
||Gillow, Bibliog. Dict. of Engl. Cath. iii,
42 (quoting P.R.O. Forfeited Estates,
In 1728 the house was rented by
Fr. William (afterwards viscount) Molyneux, S.J.; it was his only mission, and
he resided here till his death in 1759. In
1750, a year of jubilee, he had 300 attendants.
The first work known to have been
printed at Prescot was a Sermon for the
General Fast of 1779, 'preached to the
congregation at Scholes' by T. W.; Local
Gleanings Lancs. and Ches. ii, 229. The
author was Thomas Weldon (or Hunter),
who died at Scholes in 1786; Foley, op.
cit. vii, 826.
||Foley, l.s.c. In 1796 the Benedictines
of Dieulouard took refuge here, but soon
removed; finally they settled at Ampleforth; Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), xiii,
Liverpool Cath. Ann. 1901.