||1,936, of which 10 are inland water;
there are also 4 acres of tidal water;
census of 1901.
||Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 78.
||Ibid. 153. Richard de Ditton paid
one mark and half a mark; possibly
there were two of the name. Philip and
Adam contributed each half a mark. The
next name is William son of Stephen,
paying the same; and though he is not
styled 'de Ditton,' yet it appears that one
of this name had formerly held an acre
here, which about 1270 was granted by
William del Marsh to William son of
Richard, the clerk of Upton, in free marriage with Anota his daughter; Kuerden
fol. MS. 260, n. 578.
Lancs. Pipe R. 154. Between Philip
and Richard are the names of Robert
son of Robert, Robert son of Roger, and
Adam son of Robert, 12d. each. Ralph
son of Martin, 2s. also occurs.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), 19. The several shares
of the four holders of the second moiety
are not given, but by a comparison of the
entries it is probable that Adam and
Henry each had a third, the other third
being held by Robert and Vincent, who
represent the Philip of the Pipe R. entry
last cited. It appears that Henry was
also a son of Philip, but his right to this
portion may have been derived from his
mother or his wife. The account in the
text of the separate shares shows that
though Henry's descendants had a sixth of
the manor they paid 4s. rent, and that the
other partners in the moiety paid 6s. in all.
||It will be most convenient to give
here the various accounts of the lordship
as recorded from time to time.
In 1226 the tenants' names are not recorded, but 20s. for thegnage was paid;
Inq. and Extents, 136.
In 1298 John de Ditton and his partners held Ditton, rendering 20s. yearly,
and Stephen (de Ditton) did suit; the
same (Stephen) also held a ridge of land
for 6d.; ibid. 287. Some charters of the
intermediate period give the names of
these partners. In one, of about 1250,
John de Ditton son of Robert, Richard
son of Adam, Henry son of Ralph, Randle
son of Richard son of Martin, as 'lords of
Ditton,' attested a grant by Stephen son
of Adam de Ditton; and in another, of
about the same date, the same description
is given of John son of Robert de Ditton,
Richard son of Adam, Henry son of
Ralph, Richard de Holand, Richard son
of Robert son of Philip, and Hugh Fish,
as witnesses to another grant of the same
Stephen son of Adam; Kuerden fol. MS.
197, n 639, and Blundell of Crosby evidences (Towneley), K. 87.
In the roll of the foreign rent of Derbyshire in 1323–4 (Rentals and Surveys,
379, m. 8), it is recorded that 'Thomas
de Ditton holds the sixth part of the town
of Ditton and renders 4s. (sic) yearly;
John de Ditton holds a moiety and renders
10s.; John son of John, a twelfth, rendering 18d.; Robert son of Richard, a
ninth, rendering 2s.; Richard Fish, a
twelfth, paying 18d.; and Thomas the
Smith, an eighteenth, paying 12d.'
The Survey of 1346 (Chet. Soc.), 30,
gives a more detailed account: 'Ditton
was held in socage for one plough-land
and paid 20s. at the four quarter days;
after the death of a tenant the rent was
doubled in the name of relief. The
tenants also owed suit to the county and
wapentake and puture of the serjeants, and
were bound to go with the bailiffs of the
county and wapentake as far as the next
township to witness distraints as often
and when by their course it should happen, together with their other neighbours.
John de Ditton paid 10s. and held a
moiety of the town for half a plough-land;
for the other moiety Hugh de Ditton paid
3s., holding the ninth and the eighteenth
parts of a plough-land; Thomas son of
Stephen, 4s., having the sixth part; Hugh
Fisher, 18d., holding the twelfth, and
John Henryson, 18d. holding the same.'
A receipt for 3s., by William de Hornby,
as the duke's receiver, was (about 1360)
given to Robert son and heir of Hugh de
Ditton, 'for double rent in the name of
relief, for lands in Ditton'; Blundell of
Crosby D. K. 13.
In the Duchy Feodary of 1483 (Duchy
of Lanc. Misc. cxxx) it is stated that
'Nicholas Blundell holds Ditton for 20s.';
but the words 'and his partners' must be
understood. In Ditchfield deeds of 1481,
in an agreement concerning the division
of the commons, the following were the
shares allotted: One quarter to Nicholas
Blundell and Thomas Dawne; a quarter
to Hugh Tyldesley and Henry Holt; a
quarter to Henry Ditchfield and the heirs
of Dandy; and the other quarter to Alan
Ditton, Robert Moore, and Henry Thompson the Smith; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol.
247b, n. 68–70.
||The details are mainly taken from
charters abstracted by Kuerden, about a
hundred in the folio volume in the Chetham Library, from the Blundell deeds,
and nearly as many more in his second
volume at the College of Arms, from the
Ditchfield deeds; also a number from
Towneley's transcripts of the Blundell of
Crosby deeds, copied from Kuerden; and
others among the Norris deeds (B.M.).
||This step is doubtful, but seems justified by the succession. It is probable that
the son of Richard son of Outi was also
Robert, so that there would be two contemporaries of the same name.
||In 1270 he granted to Stephen son of
Adam de Ditton four 'lands,' and Stephen
undertook to do suit to the county and
wapentake without loss to the grantor;
Blundell of Crosby D. K. 118; Kuerden
fol. MS. 96, n. 594. As John de Ditton he
was witness to a Bold charter which must
be dated before 1254; Bold D. (Hoghton),
n. 84; and to one as late as 1310; Norris D. (B.M.), n. 261. He is described as
John son of Robert as late as 1299, so that
there were not two Johns in succession
father and son; Kuerden fol. p. 260, n. 573.
||A release by Cecily widow of Roger
Fish of Ditton to Henry the Smith of
Tarbock was witnessed in the first place
by 'John son of Robert, Robert his son,'
followed by John de Ditchfield; the date
may be placed about 1307. As Robert
the clerk he attested a number of deeds;
at first his name appears as the last of the
witnesses; then it takes the place next
after John de Ditton, and then the first
place among the local witnesses, down to
1320; Norris D. (B.M.), n. 246, 243,
249; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 136, n. 383.
||He is sometimes described as John son
of Robert the clerk, but more commonly
as John son of Robert de Ditton, or John
de Ditton only. In 1324–5 he granted
to John de Ditchfield lands formerly held
by Richard de Ditchfield in Ditton; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 247, n. 14. About the
same time he had a dispute respecting
common of pasture here with John son of
John del Marsh; Assize R. 426, m. 8.
He made a settlement of his estates in
1342 by enfeoffing his brother Robert
of all his manor of Ditton, with wards,
reliefs, escheats, &c., to be held by a rent
of £40; and Robert immediately afterwards re-granted it, with the homage of
all the free tenants, for a period of thirty
years; Blundell of Crosby D. K. 91, 298.
In 1347 he again appears as plaintiff, the
lords of Tarbock in one case, and John de
Ditchfield's heir in another, being defendants; Assize R. 1435, m. 37d.; De
Banc. R. 352, m. 109. On 13 Oct. 1350,
Henry and Roger de Ditton, executors of
the will of John son of Robert de Ditton,
formally reported to the court that he was
||Kuerden fol. MS. p. 97, n. 641; and
Bold D. (Warr.), G. 36. John de Ditton's
grant to his son on this occasion comprised land in Mucklehurst in the New
Wood, Liverdleigh Hough, Copped Wood
and Hoke Lane, and Haywards Acre.
||In 1364 Ralph le Bruen, citizen of
Chester, claimed from John Mulward of
Thorp by Daventry the custody of Emma,
one of the daughters and coheirs of Robert
de Ditton, which had been granted to him
by Henry Walsh and Cecily his wife—the
latter no doubt the widow of Robert; De
Banc. R. 418, m. 392. Somewhat earlier
Alice daughter of Robert son of John de
Ditton, and her sister Emma applied for a
writ of novel disseisin concerning tenements in Ditton; Dep. Keeper's Rep.
xxxii, App. 334.
||See the note below. Henry de Tyldesley frequently occurs as a witness to
charters from 1366.
||Matthew de Tyldesley's name usually
follows Henry's. In 1367 he made complaints against Roger son of Stephen and
Ellen his wife, and against Roger de Ditchfield for cutting down trees at Ditton;
De Banc. R. 429, m. 12. In 1369 he
made an exchange of land with Henry de
Ditchfield; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 247,
||A settlement was made by fine in
1389, Henry son of Ralph de Tyldesley
and Alice his wife being plaintiffs. The
property was described as seven messuages,
90 acres of land, 5 acres of meadow, &c.,
and 4s. 3½d. of rent in Ditton. The remainders were to Ralph their son and
Nicholas his brother; Pal. of Lanc. Feet
of F. bdle. 3, m. 54. In 1416 Ralph de
Tyldesley of Ditton granted to Henry his
son and Joan daughter of Simon de Langtree of Penketh, on their marriage, lands
in the Flats and elsewhere; Blundell of
Crosby D. K. 14.
||Hugh Tyldesley of Ditton was one
of a number of Ditton men charged with
breaking the peace in 1442; Pal. of Lanc.
Plea R. 4, m. 1 d. He was an arbitrator
in 1472; Dods. MSS. cxlii, fol. 207b; and
witness to a charter in 1474; Kuerden
MSS. ii, fol. 247b, n. 58. Hugh Tyldesley, described (perhaps by an error in
copying) as son of Hugh, married, before
1448, Alice daughter of Henry Ditchfield;
ibid. n. 71.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vii, n. 21.
He held the capital messuage called Tyldesley Hall of the king, at a rent of 5s.—
half the ancient rent of this moiety—and
lands in Sutton of Tuger Bold. His heir
was a grandson, Richard son of Hugh
Tyldesley, aged six years. Richard seems
to have died soon afterwards, leaving
Francis as heir—probably a younger
||John Tyldesley, clerk, and Thomas
his brother, two of the sons of Richard,
claiming as feoffees of Tyldesley Hall and
other lands, complained in 1548 that
Robert Williamson of Ditton and Elizabeth his wife, the guardians of the heir,
Francis Tyldesley, with the countenance
of 'divers great men of the county,' had
obtained unlawful possession to the disseisin of Francis. The latter, on the
other hand, complained that John and
Thomas Tyldesley and others, 'conspiring
together, assembled with force of arms
and weapons of war,' and drove him out,
broke open his chests, and took away his
evidences, and still retained possession;
Duchy Plead. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), iii, 36.
John Tyldesley, by his will made some
time in Mary's reign, bequeathed Tyldesley Hall in Ditton to his daughter Margaret, then a minor, with remainders to
his brother Henry, also a clerk, and the
Tyldesleys of Huyton; Wills (Chet. Soc.
New Ser.), i, 229. He purchased land
from Michael Willoughby and Katherine
his wife in 1550; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of
F. bdle. 14, m. 283.
Francis Tyldesley's right seems to have
been acknowledged, and in 1564 John
Tyldesley, as son and heir of Francis
Tyldesley, deceased, was claimant against
William Marsh and others, who held in
right of Elizabeth Tyldesley, as daughter
and heir, the legitimacy of the plaintiff
being disputed. Elizabeth Tyldesley was
plaintiff in another suit; Ducatus Lanc.
(Rec. Com.), ii, 299; iii, 516. An inventory of the goods of John Tyldesley of
Ditton was taken in 1588; Wills (Chet.
Soc. New Ser.), i, 229.
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i,
239. John Tyldesley was a freeholder in
1628, contributing to the subsidy; Norris D. (B.M.). 'Mr. John Tyldesley'
and his two sons are mentioned in the
will of Henry Tyldesley of Ditton,
shoemaker, proved at Chester in 1677.
||Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), iii, 362,
from R. 24 of Geo. II at Preston.
Duchy of Lanc. Rentals and Surv. bdle. 5,
||Sherriff's map of 1823; Trans. Hist.
Soc. xxii, 220.
||See note above: John son of John
(son of Henry), a twelfth, paying 18d.;
Richard Fish, the same.
||Thomas de Ditton, as shown below,
was son of Stephen, a grandson of Henry
||Robert son of Richard de Ditton, a
ninth, paying 2s.; and Thomas (son of
Richard) the Smith, an eighteenth, paying 1s.
||Kuerden fol. MS. p. 98, n. 662.
||Ibid. n. 664. His widow Margery
granted to her daughter Agnes all the
land, called Longfield, which her mother
Quenilda had given Margery on her
marriage; ibid. p. 97, n. 638.
||William son of Henry de Ditton
made grants to his niece Sibela; each
was an acre in Easthead, between lands of
Sibela and of Roger de Vilers and John
del Marsh; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 95–6, n.
587 (dated 1316–17), 585. William had a
son Richard, with land near the Oldgate
Lane and in the Crook; ibid. 98, n. 660.
||In the same way his contemporary
John son of John son of Dandy, was
called John Dandyson.
Several of John Henryson's charters
have been preserved. They begin about
1310, and he is mentioned down to 1350.
Some of the earliest were agreements
with Richard Fish as to lands in the Rice,
&c.; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 96, n. 591;
Blundell of Crosby D. K. 230, K. 247. In
1324 he exchanged plots in Northwood
and Netherwood with Richard son of
Henry the Smith of Tarbock; Norris D.
(B.M.), n. 265.
In 1332 he made an exchange with
John son of Roger of the Mill of Hale, of
nine selions in Nicholsfield and Quitul
(or Whittle), for land in the Meadowfield
and the reversion of that held by Cecily
widow of Roger; Kuerden fol. MS. p.
98, n. 658, &c. Hugh son of Robert de
Ditton in 1340 granted to John and
Margery his wife land in the Boukersfield
for thirteen years; ibid. p. 97, n. 649.
From John son of Roger Coke and
Amery he procured a messuage and lands
near Ditton Halgh, which had belonged
to the mother; ibid. p. 213, n. 469.
In March, 1348–9, about the time of
his son's marriage, he made a general
feoffment of his lands; Bold D. (Warr.),
F. 184; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 98, n. 347.
He seems to have died soon afterwards,
Henry de Ditton taking his place as witness to charters from 1350 onwards.
||Alice was contracted in marriage to
John son of Thomas de Ditton in 1342;
ibid. p. 99, n. 362.
||The marriage covenants were drawn
up at the beginning of 1349. John son
of Robert agreed to pay John son of John
37 marks, and the latter settled on his
son Henry and Joan his wife various
tenements in Ditton, including the
messuage of John Dandyson, with the
free rent of 3d. paid by Alan le Norreys
of Speke for the Walk Mill, and the
service of William son of John de Ditchfield of 1d. rent; some field names are
given — Crossfield, Sourfield, Corsholm
Acre; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 96, n. 635.
||In this year Roger son of Stephen de
Ditton gave Joan as widow of Henry a
rent of 2s. for fifteen years; ibid. p. 97,
n. 650. In March, 1367, the bishop of
Lichfield granted Henry de Ditton a
licence for his oratory at Ditton; Lich.
Epis. Reg. v, fol. 16.
||Henry was a purchaser in 1344 and
1350; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 121, 128. In 1355
Henry de Ditton gave his land in Haliwell Riding to Henry the Smith of Tarbock in exchange; Norris D. (B.M.),
n. 276. Various disputes and agreements
between Henry and Thomas de Ditton
may be seen in Kuerden fol. MS. p. 98–9;
Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxii, App. 343, &c.
Margery the daughter of Thomas released
to Henry all the lands he had had from
her father, and Thomas's brother Roger
sold his lands to Henry de Ditton (1368)
and Henry de Rixton (1377); Kuerden
fol. MS. 96–7.
By a charter of 1369 Robert Fish of
Ditton granted to Henry de Ditton a
messuage and all his lands in Ditchfield;
ibid. p. 136, n. 382. Henry also acquired
the lands of Robert the Tailor—ibid. p.
397, n. 412; p. 98, n. 345; Richard de
Astbrook—ibid. p. 38, n. 430; and John
de Fulrig—ibid. p. 137, n. 440.
It appears that Henry had a son of the
same name, who in 1366 and 1368 called
his father to warrant to him certain lands
in Great Sankey; De Banc. R. 422,
m. 373; 432, m. 139d.
||Margery in 1375 enfeoffed Henry
Banastre, chaplain, and Richard son of
Henry de Bold, of all her lands in
Ditton, Sankey-cum-Penketh, and Eccleston, with all manor-houses, homages, &c.,
thereto belonging; Kuerden fol. MS. p.
98, n. 348. Margot widow of Richard de
Rixton made an enfeoffment of certain
lands in 1415; ibid. 359, R. 422.
||This statement rests on the authority
of an entry in a seventeenth-century book
of pedigrees 'from Mr. Erdswick's notes,'
and is confirmed by the subsequent history of the properties; see also the
account of Bold.
||The total inheritance was the twelfth
of John Henryson, the twelfth of Richard
Fish, and the sixth of Thomas de Ditton, in
all a third; and the rent payable was the sum
of 18d., 18d., and 4s., i.e. 7s. This explains
the record in the Blundell inquisitions—
e.g. Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iv, n. 74—
that they held their lands of the king by
a rent of 3s. 6d., a moiety of the 7s.; but
in that taken after the death of Richard
Blundell in 1592, they are said to be held
'of the heirs of John son of John son of
Henry de Ditton, by the rent of a red
rose'; ibid. xv, n. 10. Later still, in
1638, William Blundell was said to have
held a moiety of the manor of the king
by fealty in free and common socage;
this pointing to the acquisition of the
Coney portion and a commutation of the
ancient free rent.
The Blundells' house at Ditton was
called the Bank; it lay to the east of
Ditchfield. There are numerous references
to it in N. Blundell's Diary; e.g. 116.
||See preceding notes. Robert son of
Richard Dawne of Crowton occurs in
1422; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 230, n. 71,
76. For the pedigree of the Dones of
Crowton, see Ormerod, Ches. (ed. Helsby)
||It will be seen that Hugh Fish had
sons Richard (son Richard) and Robert;
and contemporary with him was Hugh
son of Hugh de Ditton, who had also
sons Richard (son Richard) and Robert,
so that probably the younger Hugh was
Hugh the Fish. Hugh son of Hugh de
Ditton granted to Richard his first-begotten and heir all his lands and
liberties in Ditton; Blundell of Crosby D.
K. 241. Richard son of Hugh de Ditton
gave his brother Robert certain lands in
Holcroft, Boukerfield, and Whittle; ibid.
K. 248. Richard son of Richard son of
Hugh de Ditton gave land at the head of
his Black Moor to Henry the Smith of
Tarbock; one head abutted on the highway from Ditton to Tarbock; Norris D.
(B.M.), n. 243.
||Richard son of Hugh the Fish of
Ditton granted land in the North Wood
to Henry son of Robert the Corviser;
one head abutted on the Out Lane near
the Pinder's houses, and the other on
Heywalle (usually Haliwell) Brook, with
housebote, heybote and mastfall for his
pigs, in return for his third best pig when
he should have more than four, and a
rent of a silver penny yearly; ibid. n. 246.
Robert son of Hugh Fish (Feys) quitclaimed to his brother Richard the homage
of Hugh the Cartwright and 2d. rent,
and two other small rents; Kuerden fol.
MS. p. 136, n. 387.
||Richard the Fish of Ditton in 1309–10
granted to his son Richard all his lands
in Ditton, the son finding him food and
clothing for the remainder of his life;
ibid. p. 137, n. 443.
The younger Richard was living in
1325; ibid. p. 260, n. 402. He had
brothers Robert and Roger. He allowed
to his brother Robert all the land newly
approved at the head of Ditchfield;
Blundell of Crosby D. K. 263. A grant
by Roger son of Richard Fish in 1310 is
among the Norris D. (B.M.), n. 261; and
his widow Cecily released her right in the
same; ibid. n. 247.
Margery widow of Richard Fish granted
10d. rent to her son Hugh (Kuerden fol.
MS. p. 137, n. 391); and in 1329 released
to Thomas de Hale her right in certain
of her late husband's lands; Blundell of
Crosby D. K. 61.
||A release by Hugh son of Richard
Fish to Richard the Smith of Tarbock;
Norris D. (B.M.), n. 274.
||Probably the Robert son of Hugh,
witness to a charter of 1361; Bold D.
(Warr.), G. 26.
||Kuerden fol. MS. p. 136, n. 382.
||Philip de Ditton had several sons—
Henry, Ralph (who had a son Roger),
Robert (son Richard), and Richard. By a
charter of about 1250 Robert son of Philip
and Richard son of Adam de Ditton
granted to Henry son of Philip de Ditton
all their share of Hardcroft, the bounds
being from the pool separating Hardcroft
and Holcroft as far as Astbrook; with
mastfall for his pigs bred in Ditton and
sixteen others purchased; Dods. MSS.
cxlii, fol. 229. Stephen son of Adam
son of Henry de Ditton granted land on
the Blackow to Richard son of Philip;
Blundell of Crosby D. K. 83. Robert
son of Richard Pyntel gave lands to Roger
son of Ralph, son of Philip de Ditton;
Dods. MSS. lviii, fol. 163b. Richard son
of Robert son of Philip de Ditton had
lands from Robert son of John de Glest,
and was witness to another charter of the
latter half of the thirteenth century;
Blundell of Crosby D. K. 235, K. 149.
||He was plaintiff in a suit of that year
against John son of Richard de Cuerdley;
Randle de Ditton and Roger his brother,
and Brun de Cuerdley were also concerned; Assize R. 404, m. 13 d.
Two of his charters are extant. By
one, as Adam son of Henry de Ditton,
he granted Hugh the Carpenter all that
third part of his land between the lands
of Richard the Carpenter and John son of
Robert, stretching from the wood to
Plunter furlong, at a rent of 3d.; while
by another he gave Richard son of Adam
the Carpenter of Upton 2 acres in Wetshaw in marriage with Felicia his daughter,
at 1d. rent; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 97, n.
644; 98, n. 344.
||Evidence of descent has been given in
preceding notes; he is usually styled
Stephen son of Adam.
||He was thus a contemporary, though
probably younger, of John son of Robert.
To some charters he was witness together
with William de Bold. He was defendant
in a plea in 1292; Assize R. 408, m.
103 d. The latest date of any of his
charters is 1313–14, and as his daughter
Margery made a grant two years later
than this, without any indication that her
father was still living, the date of his
death is approximately fixed; Kuerden
fol. MS, p. 98, n. 659; 97, n. 653. With
the consent of Maud his wife he granted
to Hugh the Carpenter of the Marsh a
selion on Crosto (? Crosho), which Robert
son of Thomas de Ditton had held; and
later he made a grant to Richard, Hugh's
son, in Whittle, one head abutting on the
Peel; by another he gave Richard son of
William de Ditton all his land in the
Oldgate for a rent of 3d. payable
'at the fair of Halton'; Blundell of
Crosby D. K. 84, K. 2, K. 249. To
William de Bold he gave up the lands in
Bold and la Quike which his father had
held; Bold D. (Warr.), F. 58.
||A release was made to him by John
son of Henry, Richard son of Robert, and
Richard son of Hugh de Ditton, of the
land of which Stephen became enfeoffed
through his marriage; Kuerden fol. MS.
p. 97, n. 652. Stephen himself quitclaimed
to Alice his daughter, on her marriage
with Richard de Slynehead, a moiety of
the lands he had had with Maud his wife;
ibid. n. 654. In 1309–10 he gave his son
Stephen land called Woodwal Hey and
another piece in Whittle, with remainders
to Adam, another son, and then to the
children of the grantor by Margery; ibid.
||Some of these have been mentioned
in previous notes.
||By an agreement between his father
Stephen and John son of Hugh de Hulme,
Thomas was about 1310 contracted to
marry John's daughter Alice, her father
giving 11 marks to Stephen, and the same
amount to the young couple, while Stephen gave them the half of his land in Ditton; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 97, n. 643. From
a suit in 1354 it appears that Thomas
was then married to a Margery, and had
a daughter of the same name; Duchy of
Lanc. Assize R. 3, m. iij d. Thomas
gave land in the Hook in 1335; Norris
D. (B.M.), n. 271. In a feoffment of
his possessions made in 1343 they are
described as a capital messuage, with
houses and garden; the lordship of a
sixth part of the vill; and many other
messuages and lands, approvements from
the waste, &c., and the reversion of lands
held in dower by Margery, then wife of
Alan Hurel; Kuerden fol. p. 99, n. 354.
At the latest mention of him in 1364 he
was sueing Henry de Ditton, Robert son
of Hugh de Ditton, and Thomas de
Ditton, for money owing; De Banc. R.
418, m. 224 d.
||A rent of 4d. was given to Richard
the Smith of Ditton by Robert Pyntel;
Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 247, n. 6.
Richard the Smith of Ditton granted
to Richard called Faucus of Ditton and
Maud his wife a piece of land abutting
on the Mere ditch between Tarbock and
Ditton, and another piece lying towards
Upton, in the Brandearth; and Maud, as
widow of Richard Faucus, gave land to
Richard son of Henry the Smith of Tarbock; Norris D (B.M.), n. 240, 237.
||In 1317–18 Thomas son of Richard
the Smith quitclaimed to William de
Larbreck, serjeant of Alan le Norreys,
all his right in lands in Alton Field in
Ditton—one in the Overshot and the
other in the Nethershot—granted by Alan
to William; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 96, n.
636. To Hugh son of Robert de Astbrook
he gave a selion in Astbrook Field; ibid.
p. 136, n. 383. To John Henryson he
granted his portion of the field called
Netherwood, in the Holme; ibid. p. 99,
n. 353, &c. To Richard son of Henry
the Smith of Tarbock he gave a plat of
land in the Outshooting near the Sourfield; Norris D. (B.M.), n. 238.
||Thomas the Smith was witness to a
charter made in 1347; Kuerden fol. MS. p.
96, n. 598. He granted to Henry his firstborn son his capital messuage and all his
lands and rights in Ditton, with remainder to Randle his younger son; Kuerden
MSS. ii, fol. 247b, n. 36.
In 1366 Henry was defendant in a
complaint made by Henry de Ditton as
to the mowing of his grass; De Banc. R.
425, m. 435 d. In the same year his
daughter Alice was contracted in marriage
to Thomas de Snape; Kuerden fol. MS.
p. 96, n. 596.
||See note above, from the Survey of
1346, from which it appears that Hugh
de Ditton then held the eighteenth part
of the manor which was the Smiths'
||In the same note Henry Thompson
the Smith appears among the holders of
land in 1481.
It should be observed also that Edward
Rawstorne of the Lumb near Bury, in
1634, held messuages, &c., in Ditton of
the king by a rent of 12d.; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxviii, n. 23.
||Robert son of Richard de Ditton
frequently occurs as a witness to charters;
and in 1322–3 he appears to be described
as Robert son of Richard son of Adam;
Kuerden fol. MS. p. 136, n. 583. As Robert
son of Richard son of Wimark he had a
release of certain lands in 1324; Kuerden
fol. (Wh. Qu.) p. 330, n. 606. A Richard,
son of Adam de Ditton, was witness to
many charters of a generation earlier than
those in which the name of Robert son
Richard occurs, being a contemporary of
the earlier John son of Robert, and
Stephen son of Adam; see e.g. Kuerden
fol. MS. p. 98, n. 662. Richard son of
Wimark was also witness; Blundell of
Crosby D. K. 87, K. 145.
||Adam son of Randle de Ditton
granted to Alan le Norreys, not later than
1250, all his land in Radcliffe head, viz.
as much as belonged to one and a half
oxgangs of land in Ditton, at a rent of
2d. or two iron spurs; and Randle de
Ditton about the same time made a grant
to Alan of land in the same place, at a
rent of 1d.; Norris D. (B.M.), n. 235,
236. From the endorsement of the
latter it appears that this Randle was the
ancestor of the Dandyson family. The
mention of one and a half oxgangs in the
former—about a sixth of the moiety of
Ditton—might lead to the supposition
that the grantor was the Adam of the
Survey of 1212; it appears that in later
times both the Norrises and the Dandysons held of the descendants of Henry,
son of Ralph de Ditton. The seal has
the legend: + s' ADE DE DVSTES.
Philip son of Adam de Ditton made a
grant of land in Whittle to John Henryson; Blundell of Crosby D. K. 1.
||Robert son of Richard Wimark of
Ditton died holding of the king by a
service of 2s.; Roger his son and heir
was nineteen years of age; Fine R. of
18 Edw. II, m. 12; Chan. Inq. p.m.
18 Edw. II, n. 6.
||Hugh de Ditton appears from 1332
to 1349 as witness to charters; Kuerden
fol. MS. p. 98. He exchanged lands with
John Henryson; Blundell of Crosby D.
||Robert son of Hugh de Ditton is
named as a landholder in 1355; Norris
D. (B.M.), n. 276; and to his daughter
Alice, on her marriage with Thomas son
of Alan de Haysarm, in 1386–7, he
made a grant of the lands in Rainford he
had received with Emma his wife; Kuerden
fol. MS. p. 96, n. 590. He enfeoffed Henry
de Holbrook, chaplain, of all his goods
and chattels in 1381–2, and was re-enfeoffed in 1389–90; Blundell of Crosby
D. K. 50, K. 92. He acquired lands in
Appleton in 1382; Norris D. (B.M.),
n. 278. He is mentioned in a bond for
£40 as late as 1399; Blundell of Crosby
D.K. 57. In June, 1378, licence for an
oratory at Ditton for two years was
granted to Robert de Ditton; Lich. Epis.
Reg. v, fol. 28.
||Alan is mentioned in the bond for
£40 referred to in the last note. In
1445, his sister Alice, widow of John de
Parr of Rainford, released to him all her
right in the lands assigned to her by
Robert her father; Blundell of Crosby D.
K. 104, K. 97. John Ollerton, a Dominican friar of Chester, in 1441–2 gave a receipt for 19 marks to Alan de Ditton and
Daveson de Widnes; ibid. K. 63. Alan
is also mentioned in 1420, 1425, and
||A marriage contract of 1402–3 between a Robert de Ditton and Emma
daughter of Robert de Molyneux describes
the former as son of Alice, then wife of
Henry de Ditchfield; he was to have all
the lands descending to him from his
brother, reasonable dower being allowed
to Henry de Ditchfield and Alice; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 99, n. 470.
||See note above. There is nothing to
show the connexion of this Alan with
the Alan living in 1445.
||By an indenture of 1442–3—Ditton
of Ditton granted the marriage of Robert
his son to Janet daughter of Richard
Tarleton; Blundell of Crosby D. K. 105.
||Ibid. K. 100, K. 107, K. 113; Margaret was dead, but Emma was living in
||Ibid. K. 113. He was still living in
1528; ibid. K. 96.
||Robert Coney of Prescot, son and
heir of William, was by his father engaged
in 1521 to marry Jane daughter of Ellen,
widow of Thomas Trafford of Cheshire;
ibid. K. 111, K. 112, K. 110. A Robert
Coney of Ditton was living in 1562; ibid.
||Henry was probably the son of
Robert. He demised to William Marsh
certain lands in Ditton in 1554; ibid.
K. 109; and made a settlement for the
benefit of Grace his wife in 1564; ibid.
K. 102. The inquest after his death
(Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiii, n. 24)
shows that he held messuages and lands
in Ditton of the queen as of her manor
of West Derby by a rent of 2s. and suit
at the wapentake of West Derby. Henry
Coney, his son and heir, was seventeen
years of age. The rent agrees with that
paid by Robert son of Richard in 1323,
as compared with the 3s. paid by Hugh,
son of Robert in 1346.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvii, n. 75.
Besides the hall of Coney and a quarter
of the manor of Ditton, held in socage by
a rent of 2s., Henry Coney held lands in
Rainhill, Knowsley, Huyton, and Glest in
Eccleston. Robert Coney, his brother
and heir, is said to have been forty-eight
years of age, which would make him older
||He died in 1600, his heirs being his
daughters Margaret and Elizabeth, aged
four and two years; Duchy of Lanc. Inq.
p.m. xviii, n. 24; Blundell of Crosby D.
||As early as 1589, while Henry
Coney was still living, William Coney,
perhaps an illegitimate son, sold to John
Ogle the hall of Coney and the quarter of
the manor; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 51, m. 246; but after the death of
Robert Coney the whole appears to have
been transferred to William Coney of
Ditton, Elizabeth, widow of William
Coney of Ford afterwards releasing her
right herein; Blundell of Crosby D.
K. 108, K. 103. In 1600, Anne widow
of Robert Coney claimed from William
Coney and others the capital messuage
called the hall of Coney; Ducatus Lanc.
(Rec. Com.), iii, 415.
||In this year Sir Thomas Ireland was
plaintiff and William Coney and Elizabeth
his wife, John Coney and Margaret his
wife, deforciants in a fine concerning the
fourth part of the manor of Ditton, and
lands there; Blundell of Crosby D. K.
101. The names of the wives agree
with those of the heirs of William Coney
of Ford. As a number of the Coney deeds
were among the Blundell muniments it
appears certain that this family ultimately
purchased the Coney lands.
Some members of the family seem to
have retained an interest in Ditton, as
Margery Hawarden married Henry Coney
of Ditton, gentleman, early in the seventeenth century; Dugdale, Visit. (Chet.
Soc.), 132. A Captain Coney of Ditton
is mentioned in connexion with a trainband levy at the beginning of the Civil
War; Trans. Hist. Soc. iv, 31.
Trans. Hist. Soc. xxii, 220; from a
description by Edward Eyes in 1828, with
additions by Joseph Boult.
||Vol. ii (College of Arms), fol. 247.
||A 'Robert son of Richard' attested
several charters of the middle of the
thirteenth century, but as there were
probably two of the name—of Ditton and
of Ditchfield—this step must be regarded
as uncertain. In one charter mention is
made of 'the land of Robert son of Richard'; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 98, n. 662.
||'Richard son of Robert' attested the
charter cited in the last note. One of
this name exchanged land with Henry
son of Ralph de Ditton, and made a
grant to his own son John; Kuerden
fol. MS. p. 98, n. 656, 664; 96, n. 592. He
also made a grant to Ralph son of Philip
de Ditton; Kuerden MSS, ii, fol. 247, n. 9.
||To several charters dating from about
1300 'Roger son of Richard' was witness, his name occurring after those of
John son of Robert, and Stephen son of
Adam; Kuerden MS. fol. p. 99,n. 505, &c.;
Roger de Ditchfield's name occurs in a
like position, ibid. 359, n. 423; 96, n.
||John de Ditchfield received a grant of
a new approvement from Richard de
Slynehead and Agnes his wife, while in
1324–5 he had from John de Ditton certain land which had formerly been Richard
de Ditchfield's; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 247,
n. 7, 14. In 1330 he made a grant of
land in the Townfield to John de Ditton;
ibid. n. 16. In 1346 a John son of
Robert de Ditchfield was one defendant
to a suit by Henry son of John de Ditton,
clerk, concerning the breaking into his
close; but he may be a different person;
De Banc. R. 345, m. 95 d.
||He attested charters in 1347, 1348,
and 1349; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 96, n.
598; 97, n. 655; 98, n. 347. He granted
land in Steresleigh to his brother William
in 1349; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 247, n.
18; but Kuerden gives the name as John
son of John de Ditchfield, and there may
have been two Johns in succession.
||De Banc. R. 352, m. 109.
||Henry de Ditchfield was witness to a
charter in 1356; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 99,
n. 356; as Thomas was a minor in 1347,
Henry can scarcely have been other than
a brother. There are grants to and by him
in Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 247, n. 21, 23.
||To Henry son of Henry de Ditchfield, Richard brother of Henry (the
father) granted the lands which he held by
the gift of his brother in 1404; ibid. n. 27,
26. Henry the father may have survived
to this year if he were the husband of
Alice de Ditton; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 99,
n. 470. The younger Henry married Ellen,
daughter of Thomas Travers of Whiston;
Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 138b, n. 100; ii,
fol. 247b, n. 71. Contemporary with him
was another Henry de Ditchfield, the
natural son of a Roger de Ditchfield;
ibid. fol. 247, n. 31.
||The marriage of John son of Henry
and Isabel in 1444 was accompanied by a
grant of land in Sourfield; the remainders
were to Thomas, Roger, Joan, and
Emma; ibid. fol. 247b, n. 44. Joan
married Richard Smith of Cuerdley and
granted to William Ditchfield the lands
which had descended to her in Ditton
and Allerton; ibid. n. 45. There appears
to have been another daughter, Alice, wife
of Hugh Tyldesley; ibid. n. 71.
||Ibid. n. 43; see also n. 55–62, 64–
||Ibid. n. 56, 61, 67. In n. 70, however, dated a year earlier, Henry Ditchfield is given as in possession. The date
may be erroneous.
||Ibid. n. 67, 80. His wife was Ellen
||Ibid. n. 72, dated 1506–7, in which
Henry Ditchfield is described as the uncle
of Thomas. Thomas married Isabel, sister
of James Wetherby of Halsnead; ibid.
||Nothing appears to be known of
this Sir John; his widow Margery, by
whom he had a son William, was living
in 1506; ibid. n. 75, 76, 82.
||Ibid. n. 78, from which it appears
that John, the son and heir, married
Katherine, daughter of Richard Birkhead.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vii, n.
19. His capital messuage in Ditton was
held of Richard Tyldesley, by a rent of
2s. 7½d.; other lands in Ditton were held
of the king as duke of Lancaster by a rent
of 2s.; he had lands also in Whiston and
||See the pedigrees recorded at the
Visitations of 1567 and 1613, published
by the Chetham Society (1567, p. 123;
1613, p. 131).
||Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 172,
155. John Ditchfield, as a convicted recusant, paid double to the subsidy in 1628;
Norris D. (B.M.). Edward Ditchfield
his son had two-thirds of his estate sequestered for recusancy before 1649; then
he was charged with 'delinquency' also,
and the whole of his property taken from
him; but one-third seems to have been
restored, and in 1653 he petitioned to be
allowed to contract for the remainder;
Royalist Comp. P. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), ii, 254. He was described in
1650 as 'an arch-papist' by Colonel
Gilbert Ireland; ibid. iv, 22. In Sept.
1663, a settlement was made of the
manor of Ditton and half the manor
of Charnock Richard; the deforciants
being Dorothy Ditchfield, widow, and
John Hoghton and Elizabeth his wife;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 171, m.
||Ditton was included among the
Dalton manors in a fine of 1753; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 351, m. 191. In
1755 Robert Dalton sold (or mortgaged)
his Ditchfield Hall estate, and sold Marsh
Green to William Woods, skinner; Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), iii, 366, 284,
from Rolls 27 and 29 of Geo. II at
||By fine in 1777 Thomas Shaw and
Sarah his wife conveyed to Thomas Moore
(no doubt as trustee) the manor of Ditton
and various lands there, together with the
moiety of a seat or pew in Farnworth
chapel, and three pews in St. Thomas's
Church, Liverpool; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of
F. bdle. 379, m. 82. Sherriff's map of
1823 gives T. Shaw as the owner; by
Gregson he is called 'of Everton.'
||Norris D. (B.M.), n. 234.
||Ibid. n. 235–6; also n. 278–9.
||Ibid. n. 281–4; Pal. of Lanc. Feet
of F. bdle. 28, m. 139.
The deeds show that these lands had
been acquired at various times in the
thirteenth and fourteenth centuries by the
Smiths of Tarbock, beginning with Henry
the Smith and his son Richard; Norris D.
(B.M.), n. 237 onwards; over forty deeds.
Some of these have been cited in the notes
already given. Henry the Smith of Tarbock was succeeded by a son Richard, who
had sons Henry, Robert, and Roger. See
also P.R.O. Anct. D. A9081.
||Some of them held lands in the neighbouring townships, as Adam de Ireland;
and in later times, as the inquisitions
show, the Moores of Bank Hall, the
Breres, Mossocks, and Bolds.
Thomas de Hale and Mabel his wife
acquired a holding early in the fourteenth
century. Thomas de Hale died in or
before 1330, in which year Mabel is called
his widow; Norris D. (B.M.), n. 266.
They had issue Richard, who took possession after his mother's death, but died
without issue; William, outlawed for the
murder of John le Norreys of West Derby
in 1341, but afterwards pardoned and restored; Robert, killed at Tarbock in 1332
(Coram Rege R. 297, Rex. m. 264); Margery, Avina, and Margaret. John son of
Robert le Norreys married Mabel, executrix of the will of John de Hale, in or
before 1332; De Banc. R. 291, m. x.
William enfeoffed Thomas de Molyneux
of certain lands into which Richard de
Bold had entered as son and heir of the
daughter Margaret, who had married
William de Bold. These particulars are
from the record of the consequent lawsuit in Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 1, m. j.
For William's crime see Assize R. 430,
Other families took surnames from
localities in Ditton or its neighbourhood,
as Marsh, Longton, Astbrook, Easthead,
and Slynehead. The descendants of Award
had the Halgh; those of Dandi (or Randle)
continued for several generations, and by
a Molyneux marriage acquired lands in
Litherland also. Robert de Vilers held
land in Easthead of Stephen son of Adam;
Dods. MSS. lviii, fol. 163b. John and
Roger de Vilers are also mentioned;
Norris D. (B.M.), n. 248; Kuerden fol.
MS. p. 96, n. 587.
In 1611 Thomas Wycke had held lands
here of Roger Rigby; Lancs. Inq. p.m.
(Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 111.
||For instance, Haliwell and its brook
in the north; Black Moor and Sourfield
on the Tarbock side; the Marsh in the
south; the Halgh, Balshaw, Ditchfield,
and Cropped Wood probably in the centre,
and Brandearth and Whittle or Quethull
on the eastern side.
||Norris D. (B.M.).
||Lay Subs. 250–9.
Engl. Cath. Non-jurors, 122.
||Land-tax return at Preston.
||Gregson, Fragments (ed. Harland),
Quaker Char. Rep. (1905), p. 65.
Lond. Gaz. 19 Mar. 1875.
||Nineteen names appear on the recusant roll of 1628.
||Father Wernz, now general of the
order, studied at Ditton about 1880.
Liverpool Cath. Ann. 1901; and information of Mr. Stapleton-Bretherton.