Editorial note

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1911

Supporting documents

Page

15

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Editorial note', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 4 (1911), pp. XV. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41368 Date accessed: 31 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

EDITORIAL NOTE

The Editors are desirous of expressing their thanks to Mr. C. W. Sutton, M.A., Mr. Ernest Axon, and Mr. H. T. Crofton, for their assistance with regard to the history of Manchester and in many other ways; and in addition to those whose help has been acknowledged in previous volumes they desire to record their obligations to the following: The Earl of Wilton, the Earl of Ellesmere, Sir Humphrey de Trafford, bart., Mr. T. H. Davies-Colley, Mr. H. T. Folkard, F.S.A., Mr. S. Mills, Mr. J. J. Phelps, and the Town Clerks and Librarians of Eccles and Salford.

For the use of plans and for information regarding the architecture of the county, the Editors are indebted to the late Mr. Alfred Darbyshire, F.S.A., Mr. John Douglas, Mr. Harold Gibbons, Mr. A. Corbett and the Manchester Society of Architects, Mr. Frank Oakley, Mr. George Pearson, Mr. R. Basnett Preston, and Mr. Henry Taylor, F.S.A.

For the use of photographs for illustrations the Editors desire to express their obligations to Mr. Fletcher Moss, J.P., and Mr. James Watts for permission to reproduce those of Chetham's Hospital in Mr. Moss's 'Pilgrimages to Old Homes,' to Mr. A. E. H. Blackburn, and also to the Editor of the Manchester City News for the block of Platt Hall.

Owing to unforeseen circumstances the publication of this volume has been delayed, and although an attempt has been made to bring the information up to the date of finally going to press, it has been impossible to do so in every instance.

It should be noted that the class of documents at the British Museum here cited as 'Norris Deeds' has been re-named 'Aston Hall Charters.' The Towneley Manuscripts denominated G G and R R are in the British Museum; C C is in the Chetham Library.