||Including 10 of inland water.
||Lay Subs. Lancs. bdle. 131, no. 318.
Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), ii, 117.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 73–4; two plough-lands were held with Lowton and two by
Thomas de Golborne.
||It thus descended, like Newton, from
the Langtons to the Fleetwoods and the
Leghs of Lyme; see Lancs. Inq. p.m.
(Chet. Soc.), i, 138; ii, 96–9; ibid.
(Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 105.
According to an extent made 1324–7 one
half of Golborne was held by knight's service, and the other in socage; Dods. MSS.
cxxxi, fol. 33.
In 1599 Thomas Langton, baron of
Newton, took action against certain tenants of Golborne for encroachments on
the waste and withholding suit and service at the courts; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec.
Com.), iii, 402.
||The Golborne family held the third
part of a knight's fee of the lords of Makerfield. This consisted of the three plough-lands necessary to make up the nine and a
half in the knight's fee; two of these appear to have been in Golborne (Lightshaw),
and one in Lowton (Byrom), probably that
held by Richard de Winwick in 1212.
The earliest member of the family recorded
is Augustine de Golborne, who gave three
oxgangs to William son of Hamon in the
time of Henry II; Inq. and Extents, i, 74.
His son Thomas paid 33s. 4d. as relief in
1186 on succeeding, and contributed to the
scutage in 1206; Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R.
64, 216. As already stated, he was in
possession in 1212. His son may have
been the Ralph de Golborne whose
daughter Levota sold her right to Thurstan de Holland. That there was a new
grant by the lord of Newton to Thurstan
de Holland seems proved by the change of
tenure; see note below.
Though the principal family thus early
disappeared, others bearing the local surname appear from time to time. Adam
de Golborne had a messuage and an oxgang and a half of land in 1374, but being
outlawed for felony the king took possession; Inq. a.q.d. 48 Edw. III, no. 19.
||In 1292 Hugh son of Richard de
Woolston, and Quenilda his wife, sought
against Simon son of Thurstan de Holland certain lands in Golborne asserted to
be the right of Quenilda, to whom they
should have descended from her grand-mother Levota, the daughter of Ralph de
Golborne. Levota had a son and heir
Richard, whose son Henry dying without
issue, Quenilda his sister succeeded. It
was, however, proved that Levota had released all her right to Thurstan, father of
Sir Robert de Holland, and that Thurstan
had granted the disputed land to Simon de
Holland the defendant; Assize R. 408,
m. 38; see also m. 25.
||There is but little to show the connexion of the Holland family with Golborne.
In 1278 Juliana daughter of John Gillibrand, mother of the Simon de Holland of
the last note, complained that Robert de
Holland and others had disseised her of a
messuage, croft, seven oxgangs of land, and
half the site of the mill; Assize R. 1238,
m. 31; 1239, m. 39; also R. 408, m.
70 d. 77 d.
After the death of Simon de Holland an
inquisition was taken in 1325, when it
was found that he had held nothing of the
Crown, but had held a certain tenement in
Golborne as of the manor of Holland (in
the king's hands) by the service of a pound
of cummin. There were a messuage worth
12d. a year; 20 acres of arable land worth
9s., &c. He had also held an alder-grove
in Abram, of Richard de Abram, by the
service of 2s. 3d. and a wood called Brookhurst in Pennington. His son Simon,
then twenty-four years of age, was the
heir; Inq. p.m. 18 Edw. II, no. 33.
Twelve oxgangs were in dispute in 1345;
De Banco R. 342, m. 89 d. In the inquisition taken after the death of Maud widow
of Sir Robert de Holland it was described
as half the manor of Golborne, held of
Robert de Langton in socage by a service
of 6d.; Inq. p.m. 23 Edw. III, pt. i, no. 58.
Thus the moiety of the manor was held by
the Hollands of Upholland by a service
of 6d.; and of them was held by Simon de
Holland and his heirs by the service of a
pound of cummin.
||See the previous notes. The descent
of Simon de Holland's manors has not
been clearly ascertained; see the account
of Byrom in Lowton.
||At Pentecost 1352 Alice widow of
Simon de Holland claimed dower in twelve
messuages, windmill, water-mill, &c., in
Golborne, from Nicholas de Tyldesley and
Amice his wife, the latter being the heiress;
Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 2, m. 3 d.; also
(July) m. 1 d. She claimed dower in the
manor of Lightshaw from Joan widow of
Hugh de Tyldesley; m. 2 d. This Simon
was probably the Simon son and heir of
Amice appears to have married, secondly,
William son of Roger de Bradshagh; her
sister and co-heir Joan married Henry de
Bradshagh, and in 1367 they claimed from
Thurstan son of Sir William de Holland,
and Richard son of William de Holland,
six messuages, mill, and land in Golborne
by virtue of the grant of Thurstan de
Holland to Juliana Gillibrand; De Banco
R. 429, m. 99.
||See the account of Tyldesley and Inskip.
An agreement was made in 1396 between Richard son of Henry de Kighley
and Nicholas Blundell of Little Crosby,
who married a daughter of Nicholas de
Tyldesley, as to the manor of Lightshaw,
the latter resigning his claim; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. (Proton. Rec.), bdle. 8,
In 1416 the Kighley tenements in Golborne were said to be held of Sir John
de Holland of Begworth in socage by the
rent of 1d. a year; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet.
Soc.), i, 116.
In a settlement on the marriage of Henry
Kighley and Elizabeth daughter of Alexander Osbaldeston in 1532 it is stated that
William Kighley was the tenant of Lightshaw. In the will of Elizabeth's sister,
Anne widow of Edward Langton, proved
in 1566, the testatrix is described as of
Lightshaw; she left 40s. to the repair of
the church at Winwick, and a chain of
gold and 10 marks to her god-daughter
Anne Kighley; Add. MS. 32106, nos.
Lightshaw was in 1555 said to be held
of 'the heirs of Thurstan de Holland by
the service of a pound of cummin';
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. x, no. 40.
||The manor of Lightshaw seems in
1589 to have been allotted to Anne wife
of William Cavendish; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 51, m. 174.
||In 1738 a private Act was passed 'for
vesting the manor of Golborne, part of
the settled estate of William, Duke of
Devonshire, in the county of Lancaster in
the said duke and his heirs'; 11 Geo. II,
||Information of Mr. Arthur C. Leslie.
||The holding is not mentioned in
1292 among the Hospitallers' lands. About
1540 their rental shows 12d. from a messuage held by the heirs of Sir Thomas
Gerard, and 12d. from one held by Richard
Pierpoint; Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 84.
||Land in Golborne called Medewall
was, in 1347, in dispute between Banastre
and Byrom; Assize R. 1435, m. 19.
Cockersand Chartul. iv, 1242, 1251.
||Their estate perhaps came from
three oxgangs granted as above to William
son of Hamon, the latter being identified
as the Hamon le Boteler who was ancestor of the Hoghton family. In 1500
the service was unknown; Lancs. Inq.
p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 127; also Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 66.
Another origin, however, is suggested
by the grant of a rent of 40s. in Golborne, given by Robert Banastre to
William de Lea and Clemency his wife,
daughter of Robert; Add. MS. 32106,
||Robert Banastre, lord of Makerfield,
in the latter part of the 13th century
granted to Richard de Halghton or
Houghton and Robert his son land, the
bounds of which began in the north by
Meurickys Ford and passed by Herniys
Croft to the brook; also another plat by
the land of Elias son of Robert, the rent
to be 3s. 4¼d.; Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.),
Robert de Halghton afterwards gave
them to his brother Elias, who was to
pay a rent of 12d. for one portion and
of 26d. for the other to the lord of Newton; ibid. The latter of these was given
by Elcock son of Richard de Halghton
to his son Roger, and this Roger in 1333
sold the whole to Gilbert de Haydock;
ibid. 395, 397. Roger afterwards claimed
land from William son of Cecily de
Haydock, and Robert son of William;
De Banco R. 292, m. 28 d. This may
have been a continuation of Roger's suit
in 1315 against Maud and Cecily, daughters of his brother Richard; De Banco R.
212, m. 342.
Richard de Halghton and Hawise his
wife did not prosecute the suit they
brought against Thurstan de Holland in
1276; Assize R. 405, m. 1.
Matthew de Haydock, father of Gilbert, had in 1296 purchased land in Golborne from Elias son of Thurstan de
Holland and others; Raines, loc. cit. 395,
397. Elias son of Thurstan had been
enfeoffed by Thomas Clynkard, whose
son John afterwards tried to recover, but
failed; Assize R. 408, m. 23 d. and
Raines, loc. cit. 395, where are given the
grants by Thomas Clinkard and the release by his widow Mabel. William son
of William Clinkard of Golborne occurs
in 1356; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 5,
m. 4 d.
The Feodary in Dods. MSS. cxxxi, fol.
34b, has some entries partly explained by
the foregoing: Roger son of Robert holds
[in Lightshaw] a messuage and land by
the service of 16d.; Roger de Snythull a
messuage and land by 6d.; Elias son of
Richard a messuage and land by 27d.
Another son of Richard de Halghton,
named William, had land in Golborne—an oxgang and a half. Being very ill, and
wishing to benefit his nephew Roger son
of William son of Hugh de Haydock, he
granted him the tenement, putting him in
seisin by delivering to Roger the door of
the house by the hasp. William died
next day, and his niece Eva, daughter of
his brother Henry, claimed in 1294, but
was defeated; Assize R. 1299, m. 16 d.
||Margery widow of Robert de Kinknall claimed dower in Lowton and Golborne in 1277 against Elias de Golborne
and various others; the estate was two
oxgangs, &c.; De Banco R. 20, m. 15 d.,
26, 26 d. Later she claimed against
Robert de Holland and others, the estate
being now called three oxgangs and five
oxgangs; ibid. R. 21, m. 44 d. 51 d.
Robert de Holland called Henry de Sefton
to warrant him, probably as bailiff of
Makerfield; ibid. R. 23, m. 51.
In 1350 a dispute between members of
the Clayton family shows that John de
Clayton and his wife Agnes held a messuage and lands in Golborne. He gave
them to his son John, and on the latter's
death without issue his three sisters became tenants—Agnes wife of John son
of Simon Alotson; Alice widow of Robert
Wilkeson, and Ellen. The elder John
married a second wife Cecily and had a
son Richard, who made a successful claim
to the estate; Assize R. 1444, m. 6 d.
Anthony Green, who had lands also in
Turton, purchased cottages and land in
1562 from Thomas Houghton; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 24, m. 57; also
bdle. 31, m. 91. This was no doubt the
origin of the estate of Ralph Green of
Turton, held of the heirs of Richard
Fleetwood in 1611; Lancs. Inq. p.m.
(Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 193.
The Crosses of Liverpool held lands of
the lord of Newton by a rent of 3s. 8d.;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 18; see
also Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 57, m.
Nicholas Huyton of Blackrod died in
1527 holding a tenement in Golborne of
Thomas Langton by a rent of 6s. 3¾d.;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 53.
||Mascy of Rixton D. Ralph Haselhurst was one of the free tenants of
Richard Langton in 1502, paying a rent
of 2s.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no.
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
Henry Bankes and James his son had
lands in Golborne and Charnock Richard
in 1548; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle.
13, m. 130. Other fines relate to the
estate of Henry Bankes and Katherine
his wife between 1562 and 1570; ibid.
bdle. 24, m. 37, &c.
||See e.g. the account of Ince in
Makerfield. In the Legh deeds in Raines
MSS. xxxviii the family is often mentioned, chiefly in Newton, where Richard
le Perpont had a grant of land about the
end of the 13th century; loc. cit. 117. He
occurs as witness in 1316; ibid. 129. Contemporary with him was William son of
Robert le Perpount of Newton; Add.
MS. 32106, no. 1550.
John son of Richard le Pierpoint follows in the time of Edward III; Raines,
loc. cit. 145; and Simon le Pierpoint in
that of Henry VI; ibid. 167, 169, 401.
In Jan. 1430–1 Clemency daughter of
Simon le Pierpoint was contracted to
marry Thomas son and heir of William
de Houghton in Winwick; Towneley
MS. HH, no. 1565.
An account of the family in Lancs. and
Ches. Hist. and Gen. Notes, iii, 15, 20, 36,
gives the succession of the Golborne Pierpoints from 1550 to 1700, when their
estate was sold to John Johnson of Westhoughton, whose son John in 1710 sold
it to Peter Legh of Lyme. The descent
seems to have been—Richard, Henry
the elder, Henry the younger, Richard,
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxix, no.
47. This would be the 'Henry the
younger' of the last note; Richard his son
and heir was of full age. Richard Pierpoint, Elizabeth his wife, Henry Pierpoint
and Anne his wife, were among the recusants in 1641; Trans. Hist. Soc. (new
ser.), xiv, 245.
Cal. of Com. for Compounding, v,
||Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconformity, iv,
||The Ven. James Bell, priest, was
early in 1584 'condemned according to
the statute for saying mass in Golborne
upon St. John's Day in Christmas last';
Foley, Rec. S.J. ii, 136, quoting S.P.
Dom. Eliz. clxvii, 40. He suffered at
Lancaster in April.
Liverpool Cath. Ann. 1901.