Bexwic, xiii cent.; Bexwick, usual.
This small extra-parochial township lies to the
south-east of the Medlock. It has an area of 96½
acres. The principal road is that called Ashton New
Road, leading from Ancoats eastward. The Lancashire and Yorkshire Company's Ardwick and Miles
Platting branch line crosses the township, and the
Manchester and Stockport Canal passes through the
Among the industries are a fustian mill and a
Beswick was included in Manchester on the incorporation in 1848, being joined with Ardwick to form
a ward. In 1896 it was absorbed in the new township of North Manchester.
Originally a detached part of the demesne of Chorlton, BESWICK was early
in the 13th century granted by Gospatrick
de Chorlton to Cockersand Abbey in pure alms. (fn. 1) Of
the abbey it was in 1461 held by John Trafford at a
rent of 4s. (fn. 2) In the 17th century it was held by the
Mosleys of Ancoats. (fn. 3) Beswick does not seem to have
been regarded as a manor. Its extra-parochial
character may be due to its having belonged to
Thomas Booth of Barton had land here in 1461. (fn. 4)
In connexion with the Established Church St.
Mary's was built in 1878 as a memorial to Bishop
Lee. (fn. 5) The Bishop of Manchester collates to the
The Wesleyan Methodists and Methodist New
Connexion have churches in Beswick.
Cockersand Chart. (Chet. Soc. new
ser.), ii, 707.
||Ibid. iii, 1238.
||In 1631 Oswald Mosley of Ancoats
was found to have held two messuages, a
cottage, two gardens, 30 acres of land, 10
acres of meadow, and 20 acres of pasture
in Beswick, of the king as of his manor
of East Greenwich; the clear value was 30s.
a year; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxv, 27.
In Axon's Mosley Memoranda (Chet. Soc.)
are numerous references to this estate;
see pp. 33, 38, etc. The field names include How riding, Tongue sharps, Blake
butts, Eyes, Hulme, Peddie croft, Goat's
foot, Fitch field, and Bridge croft.
Sir John Parker Mosley was the only
landowner in 1786; land tax return at
||He gave a rood of land there to Hugh
Scholes, chaplain, apparently as a further
endowment for St. Nicholas's chantry in
Manchester Church; Raines D. (Chet.
||A district was assigned to it in 1879;
Lond. Gaz. 7 Feb.