||2,443 acres, including three of inland
water; Census Rep. 1901.
||Subsidy R. bdle. 250, no. 9. Mr. Barlow
had 16 hearths, Thomas Birch 13, Mrs.
Holland 10, Robert Hyde 9, Mr. Worsley 8,
Hugh Yannis, John Shelmerdine, and —
Angier 7 each. This last would be the
celebrated John Angier of Denton Chapel.
||39 & 40 Vict. cap. 161. Small parts
of the township of Withington were included in the local board districts of Moss
Side and Rusholme.
||In a subsidy roll of 1543 (bdle. 130,
no. 127) Anglezarke as well as Longworth
is described as a hamlet of Withington.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 53. Matthew son
of William also held four oxgangs in
Chorlton; ibid. 69.
In 1282 the fee of Withington owed to
the lord of Manchester the ploughing of
15 acres of land, a service valued at 7s. 6d.;
it also owed a service of reaping as due
from 30 oxgangs of land, worth 2s. 6d.
The clear value of the vill of Withington
was £31 a year; ibid. 246, 250. From
this it appears that Withington was assessed at 30 oxgangs in all.
In the later survey of 1320–2 it was
recorded that the lord of Withington was
one of the judges of the court of Manchester; Mamecestre (Chet. Soc.), ii, 286.
Under the title De consuetudinibus arandi it
was noted that each oxgang of arable land
of ancient (not new) assart alike of Nicholas de Longford as of his tenants in
Withington, Didsbury, Barlow, Chorlton,
Denton, and Haughton, was liable for the
ploughing of half an acre in Manchester,
wherever assigned, 1d. being paid. There
were about 25 oxgangs in all, including
one held by Sir Henry de Trafford, called
the Constable's oxgang, which was exempt.
From the same tenants was due the service of thirty-six reapers for one whole
day, the lord providing a meal; while the
exempt oxgang was liable for an overseer
to see that the services were duly rendered;
ibid. ii, 377–8.
||A similar tenure was that of Pilkington; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 55.
Judges were also to be provided by the
lords of Kaskenmoor (Oldham) and Stretford, held directly of Salford.
||a Now called Hathersage.
||William, the father of Matthew and
Roger, was probably the William son of
Wulfric de Withington whose claim to
part of Chorlton was decided by wager of
battle; see the account of Chorlton upon
Medlock. Matthew son of William occurs
in the Pipe Rolls from 1177; Farrer,
Lancs. Pipe R. 38, 115, &c.
Matthew de Haversage, in the time of
King John—no doubt the son of the
Matthew of 1212—was according to one
story left a minor and in the king's wardship; but according to another was seized
by Philip Mark, keeper of Nottingham
Castle, and married to his daughter;
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 260. Matthew
son of Matthew de Haversage was a benefactor of Lenton; Dugdale, Mon. Angl.
v, 112. In 1242 Matthew de Haversage
held a knight's fee in Withington of the
fee of Thomas Grelley; ibid. 154. The
accounts of the succession are not in
agreement. From the inquisition already
cited (op. cit. i, 260) it would seem that
Matthew died without issue, the heir
being his sister Cecily who married a
Longford and was grandmother of Oliver
de Longford. On the other hand in
1292 (see below) Oliver's son John was
called great-grandson of the Matthew of
Two of Matthew's charters are noted
by Booker, Didsbury Chapelry (Chet. Soc.),
319. One of them was to Richard son
of H. de Handforth; and in 1361 John
son of John de Handforth failed to prosecute a claim against Sir Nicholas de Longford; Assize R. 441, m. 5. These and
other Handforth deeds are among the
Birch charters in Harl. MS. 2112, fol.
178b, &c. In 1572 Robert Chetham purchased from Hugh Handforth and Anne
his wife a messuage and lands in 'Chourton' (probably Chorlton with Hardy);
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 34, m. 128.
This may be the land granted to Richard
de Handforth, but Hugh's name does not
appear in the Honford pedigree in Earwaker's East Ches. i, 250.
||Charter R. 44 (33 Hen. III); Cal.
Chart. R. 1226–57, p. 345.
||John de Byron held Withington for
life in 1282; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 248.
The heir was a minor, being John son of
Oliver, grandson of Cecily, the sister of
Matthew de Haversage; the Bishop of
Chester had the right to his wardship:
ibid. 260. Noel (Nigel) de Longford
made a grant of land in Didsbury about
1260; Booker, Birch (Chet. Soc.), 231.
For his ancestry see the account of Goosnargh. The Matthew de Haversage who
obtained the charter of free warren was
called the proavus of John de Longford,
who produced it in 1292; at this time
also it was stated that Oliver de Longford,
father of John, had died seised; Plac. de
Quo War. (Rec. Com.), 377. John de
Longford held the knight's fee in Withington in 1302; Lancs. Inq. and Extents,
i, 313. Sir John de Longford and Dame
Joan, probably his widow, had inclosed
part of Burnage before 1320; Mamecestre,
Another of Matthew de Haversage's
sisters married a Gousill; Thoroton,
Notts. iii, 147. In 1260 there was a partition of estates between Sir Nigel de
Longford and Dame Maud de Gousill;
Hibbert-Ware, Manch. Foundations, iii,
Sir Nicholas, the son of John, was in
possession by 1317, as appears by a Trafford deed. He was living in 1347
(Assize R. 1435, m. 33 d) and was knighted
at the siege of Calais in that year;
Shaw, Knights, i, 6. He was probably
the Nicholas de Longford returned in
1346–55 as holding the fee in Withington which Matthew de Haversage had
formerly held; Feud. Aids, iii, 89. In
1345 he obtained a licence to impark at
Withington (Cal. Pat. 1343–5, p. 534),
and in 1352 he charged Sir John Daniel
and another with breaking into his park
at Withington and carrying off the deer;
Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 2, m. 4, 6.
The same or a second Sir Nicholas received a licence for his oratory in 1360;
Lich. Epis. Reg. Stretton, v, fol. 5. He
in 1362 made a feoffment of his manor of
Withington, and died in 1373, leaving a
son and heir Nicholas, twenty-two years
of age. The manor was held of the lord
of Manchester by homage and fealty, and
a rent of 19s., suit at the court of Manchester being performed from three weeks
to three weeks, and at the court of Lancaster from six weeks to six weeks. The
yearly value was 20 marks; Inq. p.m. 47
Edw. III (1st nos.), no. 22. In 1376
Nicholas de Longford was plaintiff and
Oliver de Barton and Alice his wife deforciants in a fine respecting the manor of
Withington; the right of Nicholas was
acknowledged; Feet of F. Divers Counties, Mich. 50 Edw. III, no. 136.
Another Sir Nicholas de Longford, son
of Sir Nicholas, died in Sept. 1415, leaving a son Ralph, fifteen years of age, and
a widow Alice, who married William
Chanterell. Withington was stated to be
held of the lord of Manchester by the
service of one knight's fee; it was worth
£40 clear; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.),
i, 114, 119; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxiii,
App. 12, 13; Booker, Didsbury, 111, note.
Thomas la Warre, as rector of Manchester, had in 1411 complained that Sir
Nicholas de Longford and other evildoers
had violently carried off his corn in Withington; Towneley MS. CC, no. 450,
Sir Ralph de Longford (Feud. Aids, iii,
96) died in 1431, having made a settlement of his manor of Withington and
other lands in Lancashire in 1429; he
left a son and heir Nicholas, aged thirteen;
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 29.
Ralph seems to have been made a knight
in 1426 for his conduct at the battle of
Verneuil; Metcalfe, Bk. of Knights, 1. This
Sir Nicholas, the heir, is named as lord of
Withington in 1449, and again (probably)
in 1473, when 9s. was due from him to
the lord of Manchester (sake-fee) and 10s.
for castle ward; Lancs. Rec. Inq. p.m.
no. 36, 37a; Mamecestre, iii, 481. He was
knighted after Tewkesbury; Shaw, Knights,
Sir Ralph Longford, knighted in 1487
after Stoke (Metcalfe, op. cit. 17), died in
1513, holding the manors of Hough,
Withington, and Didsbury, with 100 messuages, land, meadow, pasture, wood,
health, moor, a water-mill and 40s. rent,
of all which he made a settlement in
1510. The manors were held of Lord La
Warre by one knight's fee, and were
worth £80 a year. The heir was his
grandson Ralph, son of Nicholas and
Margery Longford, four years of age, and
in the wardship of Sir Thomas Gerard of
Brynn; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iv, no.
47. The heir was made a knight in
1529; Shaw, op. cit. ii, 47.
There are pedigrees of the Longford
family in Booker, Didsbury, 113, and
Thoroton, Notts. iii, 145.
||He was son of the last-named Sir
Ralph, and in possession in 1544, as appears by the inquisition after the death of
Edmund Entwisle, who held land in
Withington of the heir of Sir Ralph Longford in socage; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m.
||Among Earl Egerton of Tatton's
deeds are a number connected with Nicholas Longford. In 1566 Edward Tyldesley of Morleys conveyed lands, &c. in
Withington to Nicholas Longford of Longford. In 1587 Nicholas settled his capital messuage called Hough Hall, with the
park and various lands known as Hough
Park, Woodhead Meadow, Presefields,
Hondirne, Hough Fields, Hough Moss
and Moss Green, Willey Leys, Dove
Lache Meadow, &c., 'parcels of the demesne lands of the manor of Hough otherwise called the manor of Withington';
also various messuages, lands, &c. in
Hough, Withington, Manchester, Didsbury, Chorlton, Rusholme, Haughton, and
Denton, for the jointure of Martha, then
his wife. His father Sir Ralph Longford
is named. Previous dispositions of the
estates were recited, when the remainders
were to Richard Longford and William
his brother, 'being near cousins to the said
Nicholas Longford'; to Maud his sister,
late wife of Sir George Vernon, and then
of Francis Hastings; to Francis Dethick,
son of Humphrey Dethick and Elizabeth
his wife, another sister of Nicholas, and
to the said Elizabeth. The remainders
were varied in 1587, and a further change
was made in 1588, when Sir Christopher
Hatton and his heirs came first in the remainders. The above-named Martha, as
'Martha Southwell, one of the daughters
of Sir Robert Southwell, knight, deceased,'
also in 1591 released her right to Hatton.
In 1595 Sir William Hatton for £2,660
conveyed the manors of Withington and
Hough to Sir Robert Cecil and others,
Nicholas Longford immediately afterwards
selling them the same manors. In Dec.
1597 Cecil and the others, for £8,000,
sold the same to Rowland Mosley.
Fines relating to these various transactions are: Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdles. 28, m. 121; 29, m. 19; 51, m.
234, 279; 53, m. 16, 23; 59, m. 355.
||See the preceding note.
||Earl Egerton's D. A rent of 25s. 4d.
was to be paid, and a man was to be
provided in time of war 'to wait upon
Nicholas Longford and his heirs as hath
heretofore been accustomed.' One of the
best cattle was to be given as a heriot at
the death of every tenant during the
seventy years of the lease.
In the grant of arms to Nicholas Mosley in 1593 he is said to be the son of
Edward son of James son of Jenkin
Mosley of Hough or Hough's End;
Mosley Family Memoirs, App. He removed to London about 1575, prospered
in business, became alderman and lord
mayor, and was knighted in 1600. He
purchased the manor of Manchester in
1596. At Hough End he built a new
house, and retiring from business in 1602,
lived there till his death in 1612. He
was high sheriff of Lancashire in 1603–4;
P.R.O. List, 73. These and other particulars will be found in greater detail in
Axon's Mosley Memoranda (Chet. Soc.), 7;
Booker's Didsbury, 130–46, where are
printed the will of Sir Nicholas and his
widow Elizabeth; Mosley Fam. Mem. 5–
10, where a view of his tomb is given;
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), ii, 4, showing that besides the
manor of Manchester he had acquired
lands, &c. in Withington and Chorlton
from Ellis Hey, others in Farnworth,
Kearsley, Hulme, and Barton from Sir
Edmund Trafford, and in Heaton Norris
from Lady Jane Lovell. From his will it
is evident that Sir Nicholas had large
estates not named in the inquisition.
||Earl Egerton's D. Rowland Mosley, then son and heir apparent of Sir
Nicholas Mosley of the Hough, made an
entail of the estates in 1606 in concert
with his father. Rowland was to remain
seised of the manors and lordships of
Hough, Withington, and Didsbury, and
all the messuages, lands, &c. in Withington, Didsbury, Stretford, Turve Moss,
Chorlton, Moor End, Birchall Houses,
Burnage, Fallowfield, Rusholme, Heaton
Wood Green, Hough End, Moss Green,
Yeeld Houses, Little Heath, Barricroft,
and Ladybarn, with successive remainders
(in default of male issue) to his brothers
Francis and Edward, to the sons of
Anthony (another brother), to Anthony
Mosley of Manchester, and to Oswald
Mosley, both brothers of Sir Nicholas;
ibid. In 1613 a surrender was made by
the tenants for life in many of the abovenamed hamlets and in Moss Side and
Teand (tithe) barns; ibid.
||P.R.O. List, 73.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.), ii, 66–70. The manor of Withington was held
of the king, as of his Duchy, by the service of a knight's fee. Two indentures
are recited in the inquisition, giving the
settlements as made in 1617.
Mosley Fam. Mem. 13, 14; the uncle's
part of the Alport estate, Manchester, was
included in the bequest.
||Ibid. 15; Breadsall Park in Derbyshire and lands in Leicestershire were
||G.E.C. Complete Baronetage, ii, 79.
Mosley Fam. Mem. 17; Civil War
in Ches. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
41—'Sir Edward Mosley, a great wealthy
baronet of Lancashire and lord of Manchester.' The battle took place on 13
Mar. 1642–3. In the previous autumn
Alport Lodge, his house in Manchester,
had been used by Lord Strange as a point
of attack, and had afterwards been burnt
down; Civil War Tracts (Chet. Soc.),
||Axon, Mosley Mem. 11; Cal. of
Comp. for Compounding, ii, 1060; Royalist
Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
||Axon, loc. cit. (referring to Harl.
Misc. iii, 499) and Booker, Didsbury, 147–
57, where are printed letters relating to a
debt of £2,000 with accumulated interest
due to Humphrey Chetham. A settlement of the manors of Manchester,
Hough, Withington, Didsbury, and Heaton Norris was made by Sir Edward
Mosley and Mary his wife in 1653;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 151, m.
||Axon, loc. cit. Mosley Fam. Mem. 19
||P.R.O. List, 73.
||Axon, op. cit. 11, 12.
||See Mosley Fam. Mem. 19–21; an
earlier will (cancelled) is printed by
Booker, Didsbury, 158.
Mosley Fam. Mem. 40, 41. Another
reason of the dispute was that Mary, the
sister, was quite disinherited by the later
will. The compromise resulted in the
Leicestershire property going to Joseph
Maynard in right of his wife; the Staffordshire estates after the death of Lady
North (Sir Edward's widow) reverted to
Oswald Mosley of Ancoats, to whom the
manor of Manchester was also to be
bequeathed in default of male issue to
Edward Mosley of Hulme; the remainder
of the estates were at the free disposal of
the last-named; Booker, op. cit. 161,
In a fine in 1680 relating to the Mosley manors and lands, including a free
fishery in the Mersey and views of frankpledge in Manchester and Withington,
the deforciants were Edward Mosley,
Meriel his wife, Oswald Mosley and Mary
his wife; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle.
204, m. 66.
||Axon, op. cit. 17. His will is printed
in Booker's Didsbury, 162–5; by this he
gave the manors of Withington and Heaton Norris to Sir John Bland and his
wife, with remainders to their sons, with
further remainders to sons of Dame Bland
by a possible later marriage, and to Oswald
Mosley of Ancoats. He had sold a tenement in Withington to William Alcock,
and in compensation gave Sir John Bland
tenements near Bury.
||For the Blands see Booker, loc. cit.
The will of Dame Bland is there printed.
By it she charged her manor of Withington and lands there with the payment of
her funeral expenses, debts, and legacies,
and her husband's debts. She died in
In a recovery of the manors of Hulme,
Withington, and Heaton Norris in 1712,
Sir John Bland, Ann his wife, and John
Bland were the vouchees; and in a later
one (1717) Ann Bland, widow, and Sir
John Bland so acted; Pal. of Lanc. Plea
R. 496, m. 5; 507, m. 5.
Mosley Fam. Mem. 29.
||Wilbraham Egerton was vouchee in
a recovery of the manors of Withington,
Heaton Norris, &c., in 1806; Pal. of
Lanc. Aug. Assizes, 46 Geo. III, R. 8.
||Waldeve or Waltheof de Withington
son of Hutred granted the land of Whitcroft within bounds starting from Telebrook; also the land of Alrebarrow, in
the bounds of which are mentioned Saltersgate and Aldehulme; Cockersand Chart.
(Chet. Soc.), ii, 730. Odo son of In
gerith de Withington gave 8 acres on the
south side of the great ditch (Nico Ditch),
as marked by crosses; also 4 acres extending from the great ditch along the
churchway towards the land of Walter de
Withington, &c.; Cockersand Chart (Chet.
Soc), ii, 729, 731. The Traffords were
tenants of these lands in 1451 and later;
ibid. iv, 1238. As the charters cited were
afterwards among the deeds of Worsley of
Platt (Harl. MS. 2112, fols. 46, &c.) this
family no doubt acquired the land.
In 1292 the Abbot of Cockersand was
called upon to justify his claims in Withington; Plac. de Quo War. (Rec. Com.), 379.
||The de Trafford evidences contain
the following: Ellis son of Robert de
Pendlebury to Henry son of Robert son
of Ralph de Trafford all the land of
'Gildehusestide' within bounds beginning
at Gooselache, thence to the pool where
Matthew son of William raised a dyke to
turn the water for his mill; by another
dyke to the moss and so back to Gooselache; with all the liberties which the freemen of the said Matthew his lord enjoyed,
but Matthew would have a road across the
land for carrying his hay. A rent of 4s.
was payable; De Trafford D. no. 310.
Another charter concerning the same
land (as it seems) reduced the rent to 3s.;
no. 311. Roger de Pendlebury afterwards
released to a later Henry de Trafford all
right to rent for the land in the Gildhouses; no. 312, 128. At that time Sir
Simon de Gousill was the chief lord of
the land; no. 313. Meantime Matthew
son of Matthew de Haversage had granted
land near Gooselache to Richard de Trafford; it measured 20 acres by the perch
of 22 ft., and the bounds began at the
Great Moss, went up Gooselache to the
boundary of Platt and thence across to
Grenclowlache, with common of pasture
of the vill of Withington; the rent was
an iron spur or 3d.; no. 129. The seal
shows a coat of five pales with a chief,
and part of the legend:— . . . EV: DE:
HAVER . . . E.
Simon de Gousill released to Henry de
Trafford his claim to the 3s. rent due
from the Gildhouses, or rather reduced it
to 2s.; and he granted all his part of the
land outside Henry's ditch within bounds
beginning at the corner of the Twenty
Acres (held by Henry of Simon) as far as
the ditch called the Hules towards Withington, so that the ditch of the Hules
might extend straight across the moss as
far as the corner towards Trafford. A
rent of 1d. was due; ibid. no. 131, 132.
The charter last quoted is endorsed, 'For
the Moss green and boundary of the same,'
and the above grants seem to relate to
lands partly at least in the later townships
of Moss Side and Rusholme.
A further charter from Simon de Gousill remitted the rent above-named, substituting the annual gift of a pair of gloves
or 1d.; ibid. no. 133.
Nicholas de Longford, lord of Withington in 1317, granted to Sir Henry de
Trafford a portion of his waste in the vill
of Withington within these bounds: Beginning at Gooselache to the out-lane of the
Platt, following the highway north to
Greenlowlache, down this lache west to
Kemlache, and thence south (by pits and
ditches) to the 'Yhildhouse' Ditch and
by it to the starting point. A rent of
17s. was payable; ibid. no. 136. Common of turbary in the 'Yhildhouse' Moss
was also allowed to Sir Henry de Trafford
and his tenants; no. 137. The seal of
Nicholas de Longford shows a coat of
three pales with a chief, debruised by a
In 1449 some dispute had broken out
between Sir Nicholas Longford and Sir
Edward Trafford respecting lands 'called
the Moss Green, otherwise called the
Yeldehouse Moss green,' and it was referred to the arbitration of Sir Thomas
Ashton and others; no. 139, 318.
A dispute as to 20 acres in Moss Green
occurred in 1600. Richard Percivall had
in 1597 obtained a lease from Sir Robert
Cecil and others; this he transferred to
Thomas Goodyer, whose right descended
to his son Robert. Rowland Mosley,
having purchased the fee simple, ejected
Robert Goodyer, alleging non-payment of
the rent of 20s. due; Duchy of Lanc.
Plead. Eliz. cxcviii, G. 2.
||Lands in Withington, Yeldehouse,
Rusholme, Fallowfield, Moss Side, and
Chorlton are mentioned in the inquisition
after the death of Edmund Trafford in
1563; they were held of Nicholas Longford in socage by the rent of 17s. 1d.;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi, 11. See
also ibid. xv, 46, in which the tenures are
||Rowland Mosley in 1597 bought a
messuage and lands in Withington from
Edmund Trafford; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of
F. bdle. 58, m. 300. Rowland Mosley
held lands in Yeeldhouses, &c., at his death
in 1617; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.), ii, 67.
||In a Birch Deed of 1301 mention is
made of Jordan son of William de Fallowfield; Booker, Didsbury, 124.
Thomas son of John de Fallowfield
(Falufeld) in 1317 granted to Nicholas
son of Sir Henry de Trafford land and
wood called Ditchflat in Fallowfield in
the vill of Withington. The bounds began at the corner of the assart formerly
belonging to John son of Alexander de
Fallowfield, went down to Huthunbethum
lache, followed the Heystowe between
Ditchflat and the lache named as far as
the Mickle Ditch, up this to the land of
the said John son of Alexander, and so to
the boundary; De Trafford D. no. 105.
In 1348 Robert de Fallowfield claimed
a messuage and 2 acres in Withington
against Sir John de Strickland and Alice
his wife. The plaintiff alleged that he
was heir of one Odo Ingeson (? son of
Ingerith) who in the time of Edward I
had demised the tenement to Thomas son
of Odo for a term, and he put forward the
following pedigree: Odo –s. Robert –s.
John –dr. Cecily –s. Robert (plaintiff);
De Banco R. 356, m. 140.
A Fallowfield dispute of the time of
Henry VIII may be mentioned here.
James Siddall, apparently a weaver, tenantat-will to Sir Edmund Trafford, died about
1530 leaving a widow Alice and sons
James and Henry. Henry's widow married
one Edward Holt, who tried to gain possession of a chest kept in Alice's house in
'the township of Fallowfield,' which contained the family money and goods. It
is mentioned that Henry had been executor of Thomas Siddall, a priest in Eccles
Church. George Siddall of Moss Side
and John Siddall of Fallowfield, both
Trafford tenants, are also named; Duchy
of Lanc. Deps. Hen. VIII, xxxvi, S. 1;
xlv, S. 1.
||The Hulmes of Reddish had a barn
and lands in Withington, held of the
Mosleys as lords of Withington; Duchy
of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xviii, 10; xxix, 70.
The origin of the holding is probably a
grant made by Matthew son of William
to Henry de Trafford of his right in a
croft called Aldehulm, viz. three parts of
that croft within these bounds: From
Thelebrook by the ditch near Saltegate
as far as the head of the ridge of Alrebarrow, down to Shepherd Croft, and by
this croft to Thelebrook and the starting
point. A rent of 12d. was due; Hulme
D. no. 1. The name of the grantor shows
that the charter must be placed early in
the 13th century.
The Strangeways family held a messuage and 8 acres in Withington; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 42, m. 130; Lancs.
Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i,
||Matthew de Haversage granted to
Richard de Trafford land which Adam son
of Alexander de Didsbury had formerly
held of him, within bounds beginning at
Cringle Brook, following the ditch to the
north as far as 'Holdholm' Brook, along
this brook to the boundary between
Richard's land and Theumannes Croft,
following west to the high road (alta
strata), by the road to Holdholm Brook,
and by the ditch going south to Cringle
Brook, with common of pasture and other
easements in Withington. A rent of 2s.
was payable; De Trafford D. no. 130.
||Land tax returns at Preston. For
the chief landowners about 1850 see
Booker, Didsbury, 123.
||Duchy of Lanc. Plead. Eliz. lxxiv,
T. 7. The parties desired arbitration.
||Booker, op. cit. 128, 129. For district see Lond. Gaz. 16 June 1854.
||Mission services had been held for
some years previously. A district was
assigned to the church in 1873; Lond.
Gaz. 2 Sept.
||Booker, op. cit. 125. It originated
in 1810 in Salford; J. Thompson, The
Owens College, 33. See also Lancs. and
Ches. Antiq. Soc. iii, 185. The library
has some early printed books.
||Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconf. v, 71;
services began in 1881.
||The church was built in 1869.
||It was preceded by the temporary
church of the Holy Ghost and St. Cuthbert in 1877.