This township is bounded on the north by Nico
Ditch, on the east by Pinkbank Lane, (fn. 1) and on the
south by the Black Brook. The surface is level,
sloping down a little towards the west. The area
measures 605½ acres. (fn. 2) A house called the Manor
House stands near the northern border. There was
a population of 11,485 in 1901.
The Stockport Road from Manchester crosses the
township in a southerly and south-easterly direction.
Adlands Lane and Barlow Lane go eastward through
the centre, passing through the hamlet of Back Levenshulme, to the south of which lies Cradock Fold. The
London and North-Western Company's railway from
Manchester to London passes through the western
side of the township, having a station named Levenshulme and Burnage about the centre. The Great
Central Company's line from London Road to Central
Station, Manchester, crosses the other railway near
the southern border, where there is a station called
The western half of the township has become a
residential suburb of Manchester; the eastern half
has print works, bleach works, dye works, and mattress
works, also several farms.
A local board was formed in 1865; (fn. 3) this afterwards
became an urban district council of twelve members,
but they have recently agreed to incorporation with
Manchester. A Carnegie free library was opened in
John Ellor Taylor, a native of the township,
1837–95, has a place in the Dictionary of National
The manor of LEVENSHULME, a
dependency of Withington, was in 1319 in
the possession of Sir William de Baguley of
Baguley in Cheshire, and by a settlement made in that
year it passed to his grandson William Legh of Baguley, (fn. 4)
whose descendants continued to hold it down to the
17th century, (fn. 5) when the land seems to have been sold
to a number of different owners, the manor ceasing to
Baguley of Baguley. Or three lozenges azure.
Legh of Baguley. Azure two bars argent, over all a bend gules.
The township has left scarcely any trace in the
records. (fn. 6)
The principal owners in 1787 were Edward
Greaves of Culcheth in Newton and John CarillWorsley of Platt, but together they contributed only
a sixth part of the land tax. (fn. 7) In 1844 there were
forty-nine landowners, the chief being Samuel Grimshaw, owning a tenth. (fn. 8)
In connexion with the Established Church, St.
Peter's was built in 1860 near the centre of the
township; (fn. 9) the patronage is vested in five trustees.
Two new districts, St. Andrew's and St. Mark's, have
been defined, but churches have not been built; the
patronage is vested in the Crown and the Bishop of
The Wesleyans long had a place of worship. (fn. 10)
The Primitive Methodists, United Free Methodists,
and the Congregationalists have churches.
A convent of Poor Clares stands in Alma Park in
the south-west corner; the chapel of St. Mary of the
Angels and St. Clare was opened in 1853. (fn. 11)
A school was built in 1754, but the scheme appears
to have failed. (fn. 12)