Bronadge, Bronage, (Copies of) 1320 survey.
Burnage is a rural township of 666 acres, (fn. 1) separating
Withington from Heaton Norris. It contains the
hamlets of Green End and Lady Barn. (fn. 2) The population in 1901 was 1,892.
The Manchester and Cheadle road passes through
it from north to south, and there are cross roads.
The village lies near the centre; Green End is
further south, and Lane End and Catterick Hall
border upon Didsbury. The district is partly residential and partly agricultural.
Burnage was customarily included in Didsbury
chapelry, but this was contested in 1814, an expensive
lawsuit being necessary to establish the right of the
chapelry. (fn. 3) The township was included in the Withington local board district in 1877. (fn. 4)
There was never any manor of BURNAGE, which was a border district between the lordships of Withington and
Heaton Norris, pertaining, it would seem, rather to
the latter than to the former, (fn. 5) as the 356 acres of
common pasture land it contained (fn. 6) were described
under Heaton in the survey of 1320. While Thomas
Grelley was a minor Sir John de Byron and Sir John
de Longford had inclosed for themselves 100 acres
and turned it into arable; and after that, Sir John de
Byron and Dame Joan de Longford had inclosed yet
36 acres more; these 136 acres, it was considered,
might be taken by the lord of Manchester and
approved by him, provided enough pasture for the
commoners were reserved. (fn. 7) Some compromise was
no doubt made; the Byrons do not appear again,
and John La Warre and Joan his wife afterwards
granted to Thomas son of Henry de Trafford 100
acres of moor and pasture in Heaton and Withington,
'namely, that moiety of the place called Burnage
lying next to Heaton, which moiety remained to the
said John and Joan after a partition of the whole
place made between them and Sir Richard de Longford.' (fn. 8)
The Longford moiety passed, like Withington, to
the Mosleys (fn. 9) and Egertons; the Trafford moiety
seems to have been sold to a number of small holders.
In 1798 William Egerton was the principal contributor to the land tax, paying over a third; (fn. 10) and
in 1844 Wilbraham Egerton owned about half (fn. 11) the
Burnage was a township in 1655. (fn. 12)
In connexion with the Established Church, St.
Margaret's was consecrated in 1875; the Bishop
of Manchester is the patron. (fn. 13) A temporary district
of St. Chad has recently been created at Lady Barn;
the patronage is vested in the Crown and the Bishop
of Manchester alternately.
The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel at Lady
Barn. The Congregationalists also are represented.