Halghton, 1306, and commonly.
This narrow township stretches north and south
on the right bank of the Tame for over 2 miles;
it measures 887½ acres. The highest ground lies
along the western border. The population was in
1901 numbered with Denton, with which for local
government Haughton has been united.
The principal road is that from Manchester to
Hyde, crossing the northern end of the township;
along it lies the village of Haughton, a prolongation
of Denton. Another road runs north and south on
and near the western edge. At the southern end is
the hamlet called Haughton Green. There are five
bridges over the Tame.
The manufacture of hats is carried on. About
1600 glass seems to have been made, and a hamlet
called Glasshouse still exists. (fn. 1)
It is probable that the two oxgangs of
land in Haughton formed that moiety of
the holding of Matthew de Reddish in
Denton, granted to Richard rector of Stockport,
which has not been clearly accounted for in Denton
proper. (fn. 2) They were in 1307 settled upon John de
Hyde and Isabel his wife and the heirs of John, (fn. 3) and
have descended in the family of Hyde of Norbury in
Cheshire and their successors the Clarkes. The
history seems to have been quite uneventful, Haugh
ton being regarded as an outlying portion of the
Cheshire estates. (fn. 4)
A branch of the Hyde family had land in Haughton from the time of Edward IV until 1821, when
John Hyde of Ardwick sold his estate to John Lowe
of Shepley Hall; it afterwards descended to the Sidebothams. (fn. 5)
Another family, of unknown origin, took the local
surname, and their residence was called Haughton
Hall. It was owned afterwards by Booths, Holfords,
and Bentleys in succession. (fn. 6)
The Barlows and Hultons, who have been noticed
under Denton, held lands in this township also.
The principal landowners in 1797 were George
Hyde Clarke and Nathan Hyde. (fn. 7)
In connexion with the Established Church St.
Mary the Virgin's was consecrated in 1876; (fn. 8) the
Bishop of Manchester collates to the rectory. The
patronage of St. Anne's, which was built in 1882,
and is also a rectory, is vested in Messrs. J. W. and
E. J. Sidebotham. (fn. 9)
A Wesleyan chapel was erected as early as 1810; (fn. 10)
the Primitive Methodists began services in 1840. (fn. 11)
These bodies still have churches in the township.