Work was begun on this volume in 1939, and much of it, including most
of the architectural descriptions, was compiled during the first years of the
War. Circumstances then made it necessary to lay it aside, and it has only
recently been possible to complete it.
Thanks are due to Mr. W. D. Peckham, who not only undertook all the
descriptions of ecclesiastical architecture, including the drawing of most
of the plans of churches, but also read the proofs. Mr. B. Campbell Cooke,
the County Archivist, also kindly read all the proofs and made many
To the Council of the Sussex Archaeological Society we are indebted
for the loan of blocks, and to the Council of the Sussex Record Society for
permission to use many of the illustrations from the Burrell Collections
reproduced in that Society's Jubilee Volume of Sussex Views. Mr. Walter
Godfrey, C.B.E., F.S.A., generously put at our disposal the photographs
in the collections of the National Buildings Record. To Miss E. M.
Gardner, O.B.E., we owe our frontispiece; the Duke of Richmond and
Gordon kindly allowed us to reproduce the maps of Singleton and Tangmere from the 1798 Book of Surveys of his estates; and Mr. Lindsay
Fleming provided four illustrations from his History of Pagham.
To others who have given their help in specific instances acknowledgement is made in our footnotes.