This parish, containing 678 acres, lies to the south
of Midhurst. Until 1851 it was a detached portion of
the parish of Woolavington, in the Rape of Arundel. In
that year a church was built for Archdeacon Manning, (fn. 1)
at that time rector of Woolavington. It was built, in the
Decorated style, from the designs of William Butterfield and stands in a singularly beautiful situation. In the
churchyard is the tomb of Richard Cobden, who lived
at Dunfold, on the borders of this parish and Heyshott.
The district known as Cocking Causeway, a narrow
projection from the body of Cocking parish, has been
attached to this parish for ecclesiastical purposes, and
Great Todham has been transferred from Easebourne. (fn. 2)
West Lavington has no manorial history apart from
Woolavington, the descent of which has followed that
of Graffham (q.v.).
||Here he preached his last sermon
before going over to the Roman Church.
||Kelly, Directory of Suss.