Wynhale, Wylehall (xiv-xv cent.); Wynhall, Winnall (xvi-xvii cent.).
Winnall is a small parish of about 533 acres
lying to the north-east of Winchester, at the foot of
St. Giles Hill, seeming to be locally part of Winchester. The village lies in the south, the few cottages
being grouped along a road which is a continuation
of Water Street (Winchester). This road runs
north through the downland which composes the rest
of the parish, directly to Easton.
The small picturesque church of St. Martin stands
at the upper end of the village street on the west
almost immediately opposite the rectory, and a little
to the east of the church lie Winnall Farm and the
manor-house. The Didcot, Newbury, and Winchester
Branch of the Great Western Railway runs along the
eastern side of the parish, with its nearest station at
Winchester. The River Itchen, as it curves south
below the Worthies, flows along the western borderline of the parish through low-lying meadows which
are constantly flooded.
Since the extension of the boundaries of the
borough of Winchester the greater part of Winnall
has been included in the borough, and since the Local
Government Board order, dated September, 1894,
the rural parts of Winnall have become part of the
parish of Chilcomb Without.
WINNALL was probably one of the
seven small manors included in Chilcomb
(q.v.) in 1086. (fn. 1)
It was evidently confirmed to the prior and convent of St. Swithun in 1205, together with Chilcomb and most of the land round Winchester, (fn. 2) and
it remained in their possession until the time of
the Dissolution, (fn. 3) when the manor, together with the
rectory, was granted by Henry VIII to the dean and
chapter of Winchester; (fn. 4) it has now become absorbed
in the borough of Winchester.
In 1651 the Commissioners for the Sale of Bishops'
Lands sold 13 acres of arable land in the parish of
Winnall to Nicholas Love. (fn. 5)
The church of ST. MARTIN was
rebuilt in 1858 of flint and stone in
thirteenth-century style. It consists of
a chancel, nave, south porch, and western turret containing one bell by W. and R. Cor of Aldbourne, 1713.
The plate is a modern set, consisting of silver
chalice, paten, flagon, and almsdish of 1872, given by
the Misses Knight. There are also two plated almsdishes and a pewter flagon.
The register of baptisms dates from 1680, of
marriages from 1699, and of burials from 1697.
The church of St. Martin, Winnall, was probably one of the nine
churches included under Chilcomb
in the Domesday Survey. (fn. 6) In 1291 it was assessed
at £8, (fn. 7) but by 1335 the rectory was only valued at
£3 6s. 8d. (fn. 8)
The advowson is now and always has been in the
hands of the bishop. (fn. 9) The rectorial tithes were confirmed with the manor to the prior and convent of
St. Swithun in 1205, (fn. 10) and remained in their possession until the Dissolution. In 1541 they passed with
the manor to the dean and chapter of Winchester. (fn. 11)
In 1859 Henry Knight, by will
proved this date, left £150 consols,
income to be applied by minister and
churchwardens on 20 February in each year (the
anniversary of his birthday) in distribution of bread,
fuel, or money, among the necessitous poor of the parish.