Parishes
Millbrook

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1908

Pages

427-432

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Parishes: Millbrook', A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 3 (1908), pp. 427-432. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42021 Date accessed: 26 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

MILLBROOK

The original parish of Millbrook, including Freemantle and Shirley, now suburbs of Southampton, contained an area of 3,223 acres of land, 10 acres of land covered by water, 140 by tidal water, and 140 of foreshore. However, by the Southampton Borough Extension Act of 1895, Shirley and Freemantle, already separate ecclesiastically, the one since 1836, the other since 1851, were included in the municipal borough, and together formed into a civil parish, containing altogether 2,651 acres, of which 2,047 acres are land, 8 acres land covered by water, and 100 by tidal water, and 496 acres of foreshore. Hence the modern parish of Millbrook contains only 986 acres of land, 2 of land covered by water, and 40 by tidal water, together with 191 of foreshore.

The nucleus of the original parish of Millbrook, marked by the old houses that survive among the many modern along the main road from Southampton which runs some yards from the foreshore towards Redbridge and forms the village street, is now the least important part of the district once composing the parish, so entirely have Shirley and Freemantle become the most populous and flourishing centres as suburbs of Southampton. The gradual increase in their importance, from a population point of view, dates from the middle of the nineteenth century, with the extraordinary growth of Southampton, owing to the opening of the docks in 1843. The break up of the greater number of Shirley estates, which were for the most part sold out in building allotments to the members of the Hants Freehold Land Society before 1852, was followed in that year by that of the Freemantle estate, which extended from Millbrook to Hill Hamlet near Fourposts. Sir George Hewett sold this estate to Mr. Sampson Payne, who pulled down the old hall, famous for its fine room entirely laid with slabs of marble, and, intersecting the park by nearly twenty good roads, resold to various land societies. From this time Shirley and Freemantle have been united to Southampton by a network of modern cottages and villas ever on the increase, and are being more closely linked by the service of electric trams extending now nearly the whole way up the Shirley Road as it runs northwest towards Old Shirley and Nursling. The extension of the building area continues west; Blighmont Park, the estate of 47 freehold acres that lies between Shirley and Millbrook, within the modern parish of Shirley, is now for sale, and possibly will be laid out for building. Moreover, Redbridge village, in the extreme west of the parish, with its station on both the Southampton and Andover branches of the London and South-Western Railway, with its important wharf and saw-mills belonging to the company, who have also large stores of railway plant here, is growing more especially towards the east, so that both from east and west it seems that Millbrook village, protected up to now by its number of good-sized houses, is about to be involved in modern growth.

As the main road comes from Southampton through Fourposts hamlet and Freemantle towards Millbrook village, the Southampton and Dorchester branch of the London and South-Western Railway runs south of the road along the foreshore with a station at Millbrook, within the bounds of the modern Shirley parish. Still continuing within modern Shirley the road gradually leaves the railway line and curves slightly north-west, passing the Blighmont Park estate (or, as it is locally known, Regent's Park), which lies on the north, and the rectory and old church of St. Nicholas (now disused), which stand opposite. West of Blighmont Park, also on the north side of the road, is the old churchyard of St. Nicholas. Thence, continuing west, the road enters the modern Millbrook parish at Tanner's Bridge, over the Holybrook rivulet, which runs south-west from Holybrook through Old Shirley to Millbrook, forming the western boundary of Shirley parish from Shirley Mill about a mile north. Thence, passing between several good-sized houses, among which is the manor-house lying on the south nearly opposite the new church of the Holy Trinity (built in 1873–80), which stands on the north, the road falls north-east to the little hamlet of Wimpson and north-west to Redbridge. This is one of the most picturesque corners of the village, as the small pond with its rough wooden railings lies on the left in front of the White Swan Inn. The parish hall (1859) stands on the north side of the road as it continues to Redbridge. Beyond the hall the road enters Redbridge, and, passing the village school, the railway station and several thatched halftimbered cottages scattered among the many modern houses, comes to the Ship Hotel, where the annual court leet of the manor of Millbrook is held, a quaint old house with a painted sign standing on the south side of the street. Passing thence by two or three low cottages, the road sends off a branch north to Nursling, near the modern Railway Guard Inn, and itself crossing the railway line (Andover branch), and the famous Red Bridge over the River Test, leaves the parish.

The north-eastern branch of the Millbrook road passing by the Royal Oak Inn, goes on to Yew Tree House, lying on the west, and thence to the group of cottages, the school, and the Methodist chapel composing the hamlet of Wimpson. Wimpson Farm lies to the north-west, while Upper Wimpson Farm with its thickly-grouped farm buildings is still further north-west near the border-line of Millbrook parish.

Although the extensive growth of both Shirley and Freemantle makes them impossible of description, there are still a few landmarks remaining in Shirley distinguishing Old and New Shirley, Shirley Warren, and Coxford, while Hill Farm in the south-east, now the head quarters of a dairy company, suggests the whereabouts of the manor farm of Hill. Banister's Park estate, with Banister's Court School and Cricket Ground mark the site of the so-called manor of that name.

The small rivulet called the Holybrook, running in a south-westerly direction through the parish, passes west of the fine grounds of Holybrook House, and broadens out into fine ponds at Old Shirley, on the north side of which are two or three picturesquelysituated houses. Near Shirley Ponds also are two or three of the old houses of Old Shirley, and the thatched inn 'Ye Old Thatched House,' and the modern 'Blacksmith's Arms.' Another rivulet known as Tanner's Brook also enters the ponds at the north-west corner, and as it thus joins with the Holybrook rivulet the two flow south to Shirley Mill, now a dilapidated building quite disused, and then south between Millbrook and Shirley to the Test.

Old Shirley Hill south of the pond is locally recognized as some sort of boundary-mark between Old and New Shirley. The Shirley Park estate, south of Old Shirley, is now almost wholly built over, Shirley Park Road being almost the only suggestion of the existence of Shirley Park.

The wide Shirley Road running south-east from Old Shirley into Southampton is the main feature of New Shirley. From it on either side go off branch streets and again branch streets, both wide and narrow, lined with modern cottages, shops and houses. A rather fine wide street known as Church Street goes off to the north-east to St. James's Road and to the well-built modern church of St. James, north-east of which are the church schools. There are several chapels in Shirley; Wesleyan, Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Bible Christian, and Evangelist.

Freemantle lies almost wholly south-west of the Shirley Road. The small stretch of water known as Freemantle Pond and the name Park Road alone survive to mark the site of Freemantle Park. Christ Church, Freemantle, a well-built modern church, stands in a good position south of the widest street, which is known as Payne's Road, from Mr. Sampson Payne, who, as has already been stated, converted Freemantle into a building estate. The schools are north-east of the church.

Two or three old houses and an old inn among the modern buildings mark the site of Four Posts hamlet in the south-east of Freemantle.

Among place-names found in the parish are a spring in Shirley called Colewell (xiv cent.), (fn. 1) and a plot of ground called the Conquest in Millbrook (xvi cent.). (fn. 2)

MANORS

King Eadwig in 956 granted 7 hides in MILLBROOK to Prince Wulfic for life, (fn. 3) and in 1045 King Edward granted the same 7 hides to Alwin, bishop of Winchester. (fn. 4) The boundaries of the land given in the two grants are almost identical, except that those of 1045 are much more fully given. They are traced from Redbridge to the River Test, and along the Test to Nursling (on hnut scyllinga mearce), then along the boundary to the hollow way (holan wege), (fn. 5) from the hollow way to Farningbrook (on fearninga broc), and so along to Millbrookford, and so east along the boundary to Thursley (thunres lea) northward, then along the way to the King's Dike (cynges dic), and so along the boundary to the other hollow way, thence to the weir on the river (on ða ea se werstede) near Redbridge, out through to the stream to the King's Wharf (staeð), and so along the stream back to Redbridge and the hedge (?) to Hampton, which belongeth thereto. At the time of the Domesday Survey the bishop himself held Millbrook, 'it had always belonged to the monastery,' but it was then and had been in the time of Edward the Confessor assessed at 5 hides. (fn. 6) In 1167 the prior of St. Swithun rendered account for the manor, (fn. 7) and in 1205 he received confirmation of Millbrook among his other possessions from the pope. (fn. 8) From this time till the dissolution of the monastery the manor remained in the hands of the prior and convent. Evidently from a very early period Millbrook was one of the St. Swithun's manors which were 'farmed' by villeins resident on the manor. Thus the Domesday entry states that 'villeins held it and hold it; there is no hall there.' (fn. 9) By the fourteenth century, if not earlier, the receipts from the 'farm' of Millbrook, together with that of the adjacent manor of Nursling, were appropriated to the office of warden of the works (custos operum). (fn. 10) Thus in 1409 John Hurst, warden of the works, received £21 15s. 7d. from the serjeant (serviens) (fn. 11) of Millbrook, (fn. 12) and in 1532 Walter Frost, warden of the works, received £27 5s. from the reeve. (fn. 13) On the suppression of the monastery in 1539 (fn. 14) the manor passed into the king's hands, to be granted within the next year to the dean and chapter of Winchester, with a stipulation that its proceeds, together with those of four other manors, including Nursling, should be relegated to the support of twelve poor university students, six at Oxford and six at Cambridge. (fn. 15) However, in 1545 the dean and chapter, probably under compulsion, surrendered these five manors to the king. Millbrook and Nursling were then granted to John Mill, (fn. 16) who already owned one manor in Nursling parish. From this time Millbrook and both the manors of Nursling followed the same descent. The descent has been traced under Nursling as being the more important manor (q.v.).

In the reign of Edward the Confessor Cheping held SHIRLEY (Sirelei, xi cent.; Schyrlegh and Shirlee, xiii cent.) of the king, and it was assessed at 1 hide. Ralph de Mortimer held in Cheping's stead at the time of the Domesday Survey, (fn. 17) and his descendants held knights' fees in Shirley as late at least as 1362. (fn. 18) By the fifteenth century, however, the manor had come to be looked upon as held of the prior and convent of St. Denis, (fn. 19) which held much property in the neighbourhood. In the fourteenth century the manor was held by the family of Shirley. Nicholas de Shirley in 1240 granted the advowson of the church of Shirley, which up to this time had no doubt gone with the manor, to the prior of St. Denis, (fn. 20) and Isabel de Shirley, widow of Roger de Shirley, and Nicholas, Roger, John, and Simon, sons of Roger de Shirley, were also benefactors to the priory. (fn. 21)

In 1272 Nicholas son of Roger, who was no doubt son of Roger de Shirley, granted two parts of a messuage, a mill, and other appurtenances in Shirley to Nicholas de Barbflete or Barnflete and Alice his wife. (fn. 22) Nicholas was a member of a family coming originally from Barfleur which had long been settled at Southampton. (fn. 23) In 1286 he was appointed by the king to collect the murage at Southampton and to apply the same towards rebuilding Southampton Castle. (fn. 24) Four years later licence was given him to grant a spring in his manor of Shirley to the Friars Minor of Southampton, (fn. 25) while in 1327 the friars received licence to make a conduit underground from this spring in Shirley, called Colewell, as far as Houndewellecrouche, and thence by King Street to their dwelling house, to lay the pipes of the conduit in such part of the street as they should find most suitable, and to repair the same as often as required. (fn. 26) Nicholas de Barbflete died seised of the manor of Shirley in 1294 leaving a son and heir Nicholas. (fn. 27) The latter died before 1311 (fn. 28) and was succeeded by Richard de Barbflete, (fn. 29) probably his son, who was mayor of Southampton in 1317. (fn. 30) In 1327 Maud widow of Richard released all right in Shirley and Hill to Roger Normand and Joan his wife, (fn. 31) to whom free warren within the manor was granted ten years later. (fn. 32) Roger was a wealthy merchant (fn. 33) and one of the most prominent burgesses of Southampton at this time, being M.P. for the town in 1328, 1332, and 1338–9 and mayor in 1330. (fn. 34) He stood high in favour with Edward III, who in 1337 appointed him to man a ship called La Coggersshippe to take engines and other weapons to Scotland, (fn. 35) and in 1338 exempted him from further service in consideration of his having for no small time found at his own charges divers ships of war and armed men both on land and sea in defence of the realm against foreign attack. (fn. 36) He also assisted so largely in the building of the church of Holy Rood or St. Cross, Southampton, that in 1333 by decision of John bishop of Winchester permission was granted to him to be interred within it. (fn. 37) Roger died seised of the manor in 1349 leaving his grandson Giles, a minor, his heir. (fn. 38) The custody of the manor was committed to John Inkpen during the minority of Giles, (fn. 39) but the latter died in 1362 leaving as his heir his cousin Margaret, wife of John Chamberlayne. (fn. 40) It is difficult to trace the descendants of Margaret and John, but they seem to have had a daughter and heiress Alice who became the wife of Richard Beket. Hence in 1391 the charter of Edward III granting free warren in his demesne lands in Shirley to Roger Normand was confirmed to Richard Beket and Alice his wife, kinswoman and heir of Roger Normand. (fn. 41) By 1433 the manor had descended to a certain Joan wife of Robert Peny, who in that year in conjunction with her husband quitclaimed it to Robert Whitehead. (fn. 42) From Robert it seems to have passed to John Whitehead, who settled it in fee-tail upon his son Maurice and Joan his wife. Maurice died seised in 1496–7 leaving a son and heir John, aged nine; (fn. 43) but it is doubtful whether the latter succeeded to his inheritance, for George Whitehead died seised in 1520 leaving a son and heir, a minor, John, (fn. 44) whose guardianship was committed to Sir William Sandys. (fn. 45) Evidently John died without issue either during his minority or soon after he had entered into possession since his brother Augustine died seised of the manor in 1557–8 assigning it as part dower of his wife Julian. (fn. 46) His son Richard died seised of the reversion in May 1593, and on the death of Julian four months later the manor passed to Henry, son and heir of Richard. (fn. 47)


Whitehead. Azure a fesse between three fleurs-de-lis or.

Henry, who afterwards became Sir Henry Whitehead, lived into the early part of the reign of Charles I. On the marriage of his son Richard with Margery daughter of John Culliford of Encombe (co. Dors.), Sir Henry and Constance his wife evidently settled the manor of Shirley on Margaret as dower, since they had dealings concerning the same in 1621 with Frances Culliford, widow of John, and her brothers Sir Thomas, John, and William Freke of Shroton (co. Dors.). (fn. 48) Sir Henry died in 1629 and Shirley and Hill accordingly passed to his son Richard. (fn. 49) The latter was sheriff of Hants in 1636 and had a hard task to collect the ship money for the county. In that year he wrote to the council complaining of the backwardness of the county, and how a constable who had failed to duly certify the defaulters, when censured by the writer, had answered that the money would never be gathered during his lifetime. For this Whitehead had committed him to prison, 'since when he has become very penitent and begs to be enlarged, promising to use his best endeavours to perform the service.' (fn. 50) During the next year Whitehead was told that the arrears, which stood at £404, must be gathered in and the service perfected, (fn. 51) but in spite of his hard work the task seems to have been almost impracticable. (fn. 52) Perhaps it was partly the ungratefulness of this task that soured him against the king's cause and made him so faithful an adherent of Parliament during the Civil War. Clarendon mentions him with Norton, Onslow, Jarvis, and Morley among the colonels of regiments composing the Parliamentary troops of Hampshire and Sussex. (fn. 53) In 1643 he was one of those appointed to extort large sums of money from the Cavaliers on pain of imprisonment at Portsmouth, and is credited with the saying that 'he had been at a great charge to build a cage at Portsmouth where many Hampton birds should sing very suddenly.' (fn. 54) Besides being present at the various attacks on Basing House under Waller's command, Colonel Whitehead, in the beginning of 1644, besieged Bishop's Waltham palace, and having obtained its surrender with the help of the London brigade under Major-General Browne, was given permission 'to pull down the house if he chose.' (fn. 55) In June of the same year he was one of those ordered by the House of Commons to take steps within a month for sequestration of the estates of Papists and delinquents of a less value than £12,000 within London and Westminster. The proceeds were to be applied to pay off arrears to the garrisons of Portsmouth and of Hurst, Southsea and Calshot Castles. (fn. 56) Few facts seem discoverable about the end of Richard Whitehead's life or for the history of the manor of Shirley during the reign of Charles II. It was probably held by his son Francis, (fn. 57) but before 1684 it had come into the hands of Richard Whitehead, either a son or brother of Francis, who in that year, probably on the marriage of his son Henry with Mary the daughter of Richard Norton of Southwick had dealings with Richard Norton and others concerning the manor. (fn. 58) Mary, the daughter of Henry and Mary, married Alexander Thistlethwayte in 1717, and the manor thus passed to the Thistlethwaytes with whom it remained for a considerable period.

In the middle of the nineteenth century however the greater part of Shirley was sold in building allotments, and consequently the manor ceased to exist.

From early times the lords of the manor of Shirley engaged in disputes with the mayor and burgesses of Southampton as to whether the east side of the manor was within the jurisdiction of the town or not. The point was disputed as early as 1528–9, the following entry occurring in the steward's account for that year: 'costs for the meeting of the Town's counsel and Mistress Whitehed for the variance of our liberties in Hill Lane.' (fn. 59) In 1596 a suit was still pending in the Court of Wards and Liveries between Henry Whitehead and the town. 'He seemeth to lay challenge,' say the court-leet jury, 'unto all or the most part of the common pasture belonging to us and others the inhabitants, leading up within our liberties and perambulation towards Cut-thorn as yet time out of memory ever enjoyed, held and occupied by the inhabitants of Southampton without any lawful challenge or impeachment.' (fn. 60) In 1600 they presented that 'the inhabitants on the east side of Hill Street ought to do their suit and service at our Law-day.' In 1611 Hill was again stated to be 'within the liberties of Southampton,' (fn. 61) and it was not until 1713 that the form 'through the village' was dropped for 'northward from the village.' (fn. 62)


Thistlethwayte. Or a bend azure with three pheons or thereon.

A water-mill was appurtenant to the manor of Shirley and Hill from an early date, (fn. 63) but it has now fallen into disuse.

BANISTER'S COURT

BANISTER'S COURT (Banaster Court, xv cent.; Banister's Farm, xvii cent.) was from an early date held by the Banisters of Idsworth in the hundred of Finchdean (q.v.) (fn. 64) The mayor and burgesses of Southampton long claimed that the manor was within the jurisdiction of the town, and in the middle of the seventeenth century, when Sir Edward Banister was owner of Banister's Farm, as it was then called, James Needle and James Flower, collectors of taxes in the ward of All Saints Southampton levied a distress upon it. (fn. 65) There is an entry in the town-book to the effect that the trial of the suit was ordered to be at New Sarum (co. Wilts.), the point of issue being whether Banister's Farm was in the county of Hants, or in the county of the town of Southampton, but nothing is said as to the date or the result of the trial. (fn. 66) Banister's Court and Banister's Park at the present day are included in the ecclesiastical parish of Shirley. Banister's Court is now used as a private school, while Banister's Park serves as the county cricket ground.

REDBRIDGE

REDBRIDGE (Hreodbrycg) occurs as a boundarymark as early as 956 in the charter whereby King Edwy granted land in Millbrook to Prince Wulfic. (fn. 67) According to the settlement of the bounds of the port of Southampton as returned into the exchequer in 1680, the line on the west was drawn up the stream to Redbridge including all bays, channels, &c., and in consequence of this award the inhabitants exercised every branch of admiralty power as far as Redbridge. In 1610 Sir Thomas West of Testwood prosecuted some licensed fishermen for fishing below Redbridge, but he was forced to withdraw his action. Again in 1658 the court-leet presented that the fishing between Southampton and Redbridge had been usurped by Thomas Knollys and others to the hurt of the place. (fn. 68)

According to an inquisition of the reign of Edward III the bridge was rebuilt by Noel, a rich merchant, for the use of the people living in the neighbourhood. (fn. 69) Owing to its position half in the hundred of Buddlesgate and the land of the prior and convent of St. Swithun, and half in the hundred of Redbridge and the manor of Testwood, (fn. 70) it was no one's business to repair it, and so when it fell into bad repair it became the custom for the king to grant pontage for varying terms of years to the men of Redbridge. This was done as early as 1276, when the king granted them pontage for five years, charging them to apply it, by view of the prior of St. Denis, to the repair of the bridge and to no other purpose. (fn. 71) In 1362 the jurors presented that a certain Robert Tots and Alexander de Compton who lived near the bridge in the land of the prior and convent had just absconded with all the money that they had collected for some time past from travellers and merchants for the repair of the bridge, (fn. 72) and the king accordingly granted pontage for five years to the inhabitants of the place. (fn. 73)

Towards the end of the fourteenth century it became the custom for a warden to be appointed to take the pontage. (fn. 74) The custom seems to have been discontinued, however, in the sixteenth century, for the money for repairing the bridge in 1581 was raised by voluntary contributions among the clergy and laity of the county. (fn. 75)

In the reign of Charles I timber for the repair of the fortifications at Portsmouth was sent by boat down the Test from the New Forest to Redbridge, (fn. 76) and there is an interesting remark in a letter written by Kenrick Edisbury to Secretary Coke in 1632 to the effect that Captain Pett would take the order about sending ships to fetch the timber from Redbridge, but that in the writer's opinion 'long ships fit for that service will hardly be gotten because they are Flemish bottoms too long to turn the narrow creeks near Redbridge.' (fn. 77)

CHURCHES

The tower is the only ancient part of the church of ST. NICHOLAS, MILLBROOK, plain fifteenth-century work of three stages. The rest of the church was rebuilt in pseudo-Gothic style in 1824, and has a chancel with nave and shallow transepts, slate-roofed and plaster ceiled, fitted with deal pews and galleries. The font, of the same style, stands at the west of the chancel, and the whole building, no longer in regular use, is damp, dusty, and neglected.

There is one bell in the tower by Clement Tosier, 1701.

The church of the HOLY TRINITY, MILLBROOK, built in 1873–80 in Early English style from the designs of Mr. Woodyear, consists of a chancel with aisles, nave aisles, and a tower of Swanage stone. The spire is 150 ft. high, and contains four bells, three of which were hung in 1897 as part of the Diamond Jubilee Memorial.

The plate is modern, consisting of one silver chalice, two silver patens, and one glass silver-mounted cruet.

The earliest parish register contains mixed entries from 1633 to 1679. The second book contains baptisms from 1683 to 1695, marriages from 1689 to 1692, and burials from 1699 to 1703. The third contains mixed entries from 1695 to 1701, the fourth baptisms and burials from 1754 to 1786, the fifth mixed entries from 1780 to 1787, the sixth mixed entries from 1784 to 1802, the seventh baptisms and burials from 1803 to 1812, and the eighth and ninth marriages only from 1754 to 1792 and from 1792 to 1812.

The church of ST. JAMES, SHIRLEY, built in 1836, is of white brick in Transition style, and consists of a chancel nave and pinnacled western tower, which contains three bells and a clock.

The register dates from 1836.

There was originally a church at Old Shirley, supposed to have been pulled down about 1609, and its materials used to enlarge Millbrook church. (fn. 78)

CHRIST CHURCH, FREEMANTLE

CHRIST CHURCH, FREEMANTLE, built in 1866 in the Geometrical Gothic style, consists of a chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, and a high tower, with pinnacles and spire, added in 1874, and containing a clock.

The register dates from 1865.

ADVOWSONS

The advowson of the church of Millbrook has from its earliest existence belonged to the bishop of Winchester. (fn. 79) The living is at the present time a rectory, net yearly value with residence £200.

There was a church in Shirley (Old Shirley) at the time of the Domesday Survey, (fn. 80) the advowson of which belonged to the lords of the manor of Shirley until 1233, in which year Nicholas de Shirley granted it in free alms to the prior of St. Denis and his successors. (fn. 81) The church was subsequently appropriated to the priory, the appropriation being confirmed by Bishop Orlton in 1334. (fn. 82) The prior and convent presented the vicars until the Dissolution, when the advowson of the vicarage and the rectory of Shirley fell into the hands of the king. (fn. 83) They remained the property of the crown until 1549, in which year Edward VI granted the rectory and tithes to Nicholas Prideaux. (fn. 84)

Soon afterwards the advowson and rectory fell into the hands of the Pagett family, James Pagett and Bridget his wife dealing with them by fine in 1574, (fn. 85) probably for purposes of settlement. Twenty-one years later James Pagett and Barbara his wife sold the advowson and the rectory to Thomas Lambert, (fn. 86) with whose descendants they remained as late at least as 1640. (fn. 87) Their subsequent history is uncertain, but they eventually came into the Heathcote family, who owned much property in the neighbourhood, William Heathcote and Frances his wife dealing with a moiety of the rectory and advowson in 1783, (fn. 88) and William Heathcote and Frances his wife, and Thomas Gore and Sarah Amy his wife, with the whole three years later. (fn. 89) At the present time the living of Shirley is a vicarage net yearly value £316 in the gift of the Church Patronage Society. The living of Freemantle is a rectory net yearly value £250 in the gift of the bishop of Winchester.

John Wygge, while parson of Millbrook, preached a seditious sermon, for which he was committed to the Marshalsea, where he lay for a year and more. Taking advantage of his absence, John Mill, lord of the manor of Millbrook, it is stated, seized half an acre of land called the 'Conquest,' which had belonged to the parsonage of Millbrook from time immemorial, and also deprived a poor lame man called John Wygge of two houses and lands in Millbrook, because he chanced to be related to the parson. In addition, the comptroller of Southampton during his absence entered the parsonage, opened doors and gates, felled two great elms in the parsonage grounds, and one in the churchyard, and carried away 'topp, lopp and chypp,' without payment. John Wygge, on his return finding he could get no redress, brought his case before the Court of Requests, with what result, however, does not appear. (fn. 90)

CHARITIES

In 1812 the Rev. William Harvest, rector, gave by will £100 consols, the dividends to be applied at Christmas in flannel for the aged poor; and also £100 consols, to provide yearly for the distribution of one blanket to each poor family having the greatest number of children under eight years of age. The trust fund has been divided, the amount belonging to Millbrook being £48 Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway £3 per cent Consolidated Preference Stock. See below, Freemantle and Shirley.

In 1822 Mrs. Susannah Pollen by her will bequeathed £10 a year to be applied in blankets and warm clothing. The trust fund for this parish consists of £79 of the like railway stock. The income of the two charities is applied together in the distribution of clothing. See Freemantle below.

In 1872 Mrs. Mary Baker by her will bequeathed £2,000 consols, the income to be applied in sums of £1 to poor and industrious parishioners, male or female, above 60 years of age on 24 December in every year. The sum of £1,788 6s. 9d. consols belonging to the charity, after payment of duty, was sold out and the proceeds invested in the purchase of £1,700 Egyptian Government Guaranteed £3 per cent. Loan (Bonds).

In 1833 Mrs. Sarah Spinks by will bequeathed £400 consols, the income to be applied in the purchase of clothing for the poor (not being paupers), on St Thomas's Day. The stock was sold out and the proceeds invested in £336 Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway £3 per cent. Consolidated Preference Stock.

In 1883 William Ross by will, proved this date, bequeathed £500, the income to be applied at Christmas in such manner as the trustees should think fit for the benefit of poor persons of 61 years or upwards. The endowment fund consists of £468 of the like railway stock, the dividends being applied in the distribution of coal.

In 1891 Miss Jemima Frances Sophia Prior by will left £200 to be invested in £2 10s. per cent. annuities, the dividends to be applied as to £4 10s. to thirty-six persons (irrespective of creed) on fifth November, 5s. to verger for care of tablets of Prior family in church. The legacy was invested in the purchase of £207 15s. 10d. stock.

The several securities above mentioned are held by the Official Trustees of Charitable Funds in trust for the respective charities.

Freemantle Charities.

The dividends on the sum of £50 consols and on £83 6s. 8d. consols are applied in the distribution of clothing in respect of the charities of the Rev. William Harvest and Mrs. Susannah Pollen respectively. See Millbrook, above.

Redbridge Charities.

In 1858 Miss Diana Emily Flora Doyle, in memory of her late aunt Emily Milner, by deed conveyed to the bishop of Winchester and the rector of Millbrook a piece of land and buildings thereon to be used as a Church of England school.

In 1879 the same Miss Doyle by will, proved this date, directed her executors to purchase £1,500 consols to be held and applied as an endowment of the Church of England school founded by her. The fund now consists of £1,444 Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway £3 per cent Consolidated Preference Stock held by the Official Trustees of Charitable Funds.

Shirley Charities.

The dividends on £100 consols and on £166 13s. 4d. consols are applied in the distribution of clothing in respect of the charities of the Rev. William Harvest and Mrs. Susannah Pollen respectively. See Millbrook, above.

Homes for Aged Women.

In 1876 funds were subscribed for the establishment of a Home for Aged Women, and a piece of land at Shirley Common opposite to St. James's Church was purchased and buildings erected thereon, mainly at the expenses of Mr. Andrew Barlow and Mr. Richard Dyer Ellyett. The trusts were declared by a deed, dated 31 March, 1877, under which the buildings are to be occupied by women of good character exceeding the age of 55 years who should have been previously resident for not less than one year within a radius of five miles from the Bargate, Southampton, and who had means to support themselves.

The endowment Funds of the Institution are as follows:—

£1,833 1s. 9d. consols arising from a legacy by will of Mr. Richard Dyer Ellyett, proved 8 March, 1881; £1,200 £3½ per cent. Harbour Bonds, the gift of Mr. Andrew Barlow in 1901; and £548 9s. 2d. consols, arising from the investment of £100 left in 1879 by will of Miss Frances Cecilia Marett; and of £400 bequeathed in 1883 by Miss Mary Wade; and of £50 left in 1902 by Mr. Josiah Skidder Roe. The inmates occupy the home rent-free and the income from the endowment funds is supplemented by voluntary subscriptions.

Footnotes

1 Pat. 1 Edw. III, pt. 1, m. 33.
2 Ct. of Requests, bdle. 17, No. 85.
3 Birch, Cart. Sax. iii, 99.
4 Kemble, Codex Dipl. iv, 104.
5 This may be the modern Brownhill Lane.
6 V.C.H. Hants, i, 467.
7 Pipe R. (Pipe R. Soc.)
8 Cal. of Pap. Letters, i, 21.
9 V.C.H. Hants, i, 442, 467.
10 Obed. R. of St. Swithun (Hants Rec. Soc.), 55.
11 Serviens seems to have the sense of under bailiff. Du Cange defines 'Serviens de Manerio' as 'villicus cui Manerii cura incumbuit.'
12 Obed. R. of St. Swithun (Hants Rec. Soc.), 114, 210.
13 Ibid. 215.
14 L. and P. Hen. VIII, xvi, 26.
15 Pat. 33 Hen. VIII, pt. 9, m. 5–11. Winton. Cath. Doc. (Hants Rec. Soc.), i, 171.
16 Pat. 37 Hen. VIII, pt. 1.
17 V.C.H. Hants. i, 489b.
18 Inq. p.m. 23 Edw. III, pt. 1, No. 87 and 36 Edw. III, pt. 2 (1st Nos.), No. 8.
19 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), xi, No. 104 and xxxv, Nos. 38, 106.
20 Feet of F. Hants, Hil. 25 Hen. III.
21 Add. MS. 15314, fol. 47.
22 Feet of F. Div. Cos. Hil. 56 Hen. III.
23 Pat. 9 Hen. III, m. 7; 14 Hen. III, m. 9; 15 Hen. III, m. 4; Chart. R. 11 Hen. III, pt. 1, m. 13.
24 Pat. 14 Edw. I, m. 18.
25 Ibid. 18 Edw. I, m. 24.
26 Ibid. 1 Edw. III, pt. 1, m. 33.
27 Inq. p.m. 23 Edw. I, No. 26.
28 In that year Parnel is described as 'late the wife of Nicholas de Barbflete' (Close, 5 Edw. II, m. 27 d.).
29 Feud. Aids, ii, 318.
30 Davies, Hist. of Southampton, 171.
31 Close, 21 Edw. III, pt. 1, m. 18 d. In 1333 the manor was settled on Roger and Joan with remainder to their son Roger in fee-tail. (Feet of F. Hants, Trin. 7 Edw. III.) Six years later Maud released to Roger and Joan a rent of 8d., 2 lb. of cummin, and ½ lb. of pepper coming from a tenement which Richard de Sutton and Joan his wife formerly held of her in Hill and Shirley (Feet of F. Hants, East. 13 Edw. III).
32 Chart R. 11 Edw. III, m. 35.
33 Pat. 7 Edw. III, pt. 1, m. 14; Close, 13 Edw. III, pt. 2, m. 24 d.; 16 Edw. III, pt. 1, m. 43 d.
34 Davies, Hist. of Southampton, 171, 200.
35 Pat. 11 Edw. III, pt. 3, m. 11.
36 Pat. 12 Edw. III, pt. 1, m. 7.
37 Davies, Hist. of Southampton, 353.
38 Inq. p.m. 23 Edw. III, pt. 1, No. 87.
39 Rot. Orig. (Rec. Com.), ii, 202.
40 Inq. p.m. 36 Edw. III, pt. 2 (1st Nos.), No. 8. She was the daughter of Agnes elder sister of his father, Roger Normand. The manor, however, does not seem to have passed directly to Margaret, for in 1379 Richard Monk and John Still dealt by fine with the reversion of the manor which John Sonde and Joan his wife were holding for the term of Joan's life (Feet of F. Hants, Mich. 3 Ric. II). It is possible that this Joan was the widow either of Roger or Giles Normand and that she married as her second husband John Sonde.
41 Pat. 15 Ric. II, pt. 1, m. 5.
42 Feet of F. Hants, Mich. 12 Hen. VI.
43 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), xi, No. 104.
44 Ibid. xxxv, Nos. 38, 106.
45 Pat. 13 Hen. VIII, pt. 1, m. 17.
46 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), cxiv, No. 26.
47 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), ccxxxv, No. 97.
48 Feet of F. Hants, Mich. 19 Jas. I.
49 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), ccccxlviii, No. 92.
50 Cal. S.P. Dom. 1635–6, p. 392.
51 Ibid. 1636–7, p. 233.
52 See letters, ibid. pp. 217, 230, 337, &c.
53 Clarendon, Hist. of the Rebellion (ed. Macray), iii, 410.
54 Godwin, The Civil War in Hampshire, 61, quoting from Mercurius Aulicus.
55 Ibid. 141, 142, quoting ut supra.
56 Ibid. 157; Com. Journ. iii, 515.
57 Berry, Hants Gen. 287.
58 Feet of F. Div. Cos. Hil. 1 & 2 Jas. II.
59 Davies, op. cit. 42.
60 Ibid. 43.
61 Ibid.
62 Ibid. 44.
63 Feet of F. Div. Cos. Hil. 56 Hen. III, and Hants, Mich. 17 Jas. I.
64 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), viii, No. 113; ix, No. 32; ccxcii, No. 177.
65 Davies, op. cit. 43.
66 Ibid.
67 Cott. Chart. viii, 12.
68 Davies, op. cit. 222.
69 Inq. p.m. 32 Edw. III (2nd Nos.), No. 97.
70 Ibid.
71 Pat. 4 Edw. I, m. 34.
72 Inq. p.m. 32 Edw. III (2nd Nos.), No. 97.
73 Pat. 32 Edw. III, pt. 1, m. 22. The following were some of the charges authorized by the grant:—Pipe of wine ½d., cartload of wool 2d., cartload of salted hide 1d., cartload of tanned hide 2d., 20 sheep ¼d., 20 pigs ½d., cartload of iron, steel, or lead 1d., cartload of oil or honey 2d., cartload of fish 2d., cartload of corn 2d., cartload of timber 1d.
74 Pat. 4 Ric. II, pt. 2, m. 15; 15, Ric. II, pt. 1, m. 7; 2 Hen. IV, pt. 1, m. 9 and 7, and pt. 2, m. 24.
75 Acts of P.C. 1581, p. 188.
76 Cal. S.P. Dom. 1631–3, p. 372.
77 Ibid. p. 409.
78 White's Dir. 1859.
79 Chart. R. 12 Edw. I, m. 5; Wykeham's Reg. (Hants Rec. Soc.), 124, 144, 158, 200, 228; Inst. Bks. (P.R.O.).
80 V.C.H. Hants, i, 489.
81 Feet of F. Hants, Hil. 25 Hen. III.
82 V.C.H. Hants, ii, 162.
83 Ibid. 163.
84 Pat. 3 Edw. VI, pt. 5, m. 18.
85 Feet. of F. Div. Cos. Hil. 16 Eliz.
86 Ibid. Trin. 37 Eliz.
87 In that year Charles Lord Lambert and Jane his wife, and Anthony Bourchier and Jane his wife, conveyed them to John Barton (Feet of F. Hants, East. 16 Chas. I).
88 Feet of F. Div. Cos. Hil. 23 Geo. III.
89 Ibid. Trin. 26 Geo. III.
90 Ct. of Requests, bdle. 17, No. 85.