OTHER RELIGIOUS BODIES
JUDAISM. (fn. 1)
An account of the medieval Jewry is
given above. (fn. 2) Jews reappeared in Gloucester
shortly before 1764. (fn. 3) They traded as jewellers
and silversmiths, some throughout the county and
beyond, and as shopkeepers, and in the early 19th
century dominated pawnbroking in the city. (fn. 4) By
1792 the Jewish community had a synagogue in
Barton Street nearly opposite the Unitarian
chapel (fn. 5) and by 1802 had moved it (fn. 6) to a room in
Mercy Place, opposite the infirmary in lower
Southgate Street. (fn. 7) From the mid 19th century
the community declined, a fact ascribed to an
influx of Quakers with superior business ability. (fn. 8)
The synagogue may have remained open until the
early 1850s (fn. 9) , but by the mid 1850s Gloucester
Jews attended the Cheltenham synagogue. (fn. 10)
Amelia Abrahams, the last member of the
community, died in 1886, (fn. 11) and the pawnbroker
Samuel Goldberg traded in the city until the end
of the century. (fn. 12)
By 1785 the Jews had a cemetery to the north of
Barton Street, which also served Jewry in Stroud
and Ross-on-Wye (Herefs.) and was apparently
not used after 1887. In 1938 it was laid out as a
playground for St. Michael's school in Russell
Street and the remains and monuments were
removed to the new municipal cemetery at Coney
Hill. (fn. 13)
The Muslim community in Gloucester
dates from the late 1950s and the Gloucester
Muslim Welfare Association, which had been
formed by 1965, converted two houses in Ryecroft Street as a prayer hall or mosque, (fn. 14) registered for worship in 1968. (fn. 15) The Muslim
community in the Barton Street area grew during
the following years and in 1981 the association
demolished the two houses and began a larger
mosque on the site. The new mosque, designed
by Brian Tait, a local architect, (fn. 16) had a dome and
minaret and opened in 1983.
From the later 1970s the Gloucestershire
Islamic Trust, formed to serve the needs of a
separate group of Muslims, held services in a
warehouse in All Saints Road. (fn. 17) In 1985 the
building was demolished and replaced by a
||This article on Judaism and Islam was written in 1982
and revised in 1986.
||Medieval Glouc., Glouc. 1066–1327.
Glouc. Jnl. 26 Mar. 1764.
||G.D.R., B 4/1/1147; Glouc. New Guide (1802), 145,
156–7; Gell and Bradshaw, Glos. Dir. (1820), 61, 78, 81; Glos.
N. & Q. iv. 163–4; Jewish Monthly, ii. 473.
Glouc. Guide (1792), 77.
Glouc. New Guide (1802), 79.
Glouc. Jnl. 3 Mar. 1823; Glos. N. & Q. iv. 163.
Jewish Monthly, ii. 474; Glos. N. & Q. iv. 164.
||Cf. Slater's Dir. Glos. (1852–3), 127.
||Glos. R.O., D 3883/1/7; 2/2.
Glos. N. & Q. iv. 163.
Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1885–1902 edns.).
Glos. N. & Q. iv. 385–7; Glos. R. O., NC 66.
Citizen, 29 June 1965.
||G.R.O. (General Register Office), Worship Reg. no.
Citizen, 23 Sept., 8 Dec. 1981.
||Ibid. 19 Sept. 1981.