The following list (fn. 1) is of streets which existed before 1800 within the old city boundary. The modern
name of each street, and the first date at which that name has been found, is followed by earlier
variations, with dates to indicate when they were in use. As will be seen, some streets had two or more
names at the same time. Posts displaying the street names, set up in 1671 'for preserving of the ancient
names', (fn. 2) seem to have done little to standardize the usage. For the location of the streets, see Figs. 4, 8,
Principal sources used are as follows; other sources are given in footnotes.
Glouc. Rental, 1455
||Llanthony rental (Glouc. Rental, 1455, pp. xv–xxi)|
||Dean and chapter survey (Glos. R.O., D 936/E 1)|
||Wantner's MS. (Bodl. MS. Top. Glouc. c. 3, ff. 44–5)|
||Furney's MS. (Glos. R.O., D 327, pp. 9–11)|
||Hall and Pinnell, Map of Glouc.|
||Plans of city and hospital property (G.B.R., J 4/12; Glos. R.O., D 3269)|
||Causton, Map of Glouc.|
||Bd. of Health Map
Abbey Lane, see College Street; St. Mary's
Alvin Street, 1831: (fn. 3)
Fete, or Vete, Lane, c.
1220, 1799; (fn. 4)
Alngate, or Onnyat, Lane, 1810,
1825. (fn. 5)
Ailesgate Street, see Eastgate Street.
Anchor Alley, see Turnstile Alley.
Archdeacon (or Deacon) Street, c. 1230, (fn. 6) from
house of archdeacon of Glouc.: Leather Bottle
Lane, 1767, 1852, (fn. 7) from inn.
Barbican Road (or Alley), 1843, (fn. 8) from Barbican
hill, site of the first castle. Mentioned 1694 as a
way leading from the city towards Hempsted. (fn. 9)
Barton Street, c. 1260, (fn. 10) from the bartons of the
king's and Glouc. Abbey's manors.
Bearland (formerly The Bareland), 1301: (fn. 11)
Street, 1714, having been newly built up in the
mid 17th cent.
Bell Walk, 1960s, when made into a covered
shopping street: Travel Lane, c. 1160, (fn. 12) 1826;
Bellman's Lane, 1680, (fn. 13) 1743; Bell Lane, 1826,
Berkeley Street, 1780: Broadsmith Street, 1301,
1805; (fn. 14)
Little Smith Street, 1726; (fn. 15)
Wheel Lane, 1694, 1795, (fn. 16) from inn.
Blackfriars, 1843, from former Dominican friary.
Apparently built 1246. (fn. 17)
Bolt Lane, see Longsmith Street.
Bride Lane, 1312, (fn. 18) 1535. Ran parallel to, and c.
70 yd. west, of Park Street. Closed by 1598, but
still visible in 1743. (fn. 19)
Broadsmith Street, see Berkeley Street.
Brook Street, see Station Road.
Brunswick Road, 1864: (fn. 20)
Parker's Row, 1814,
1862. (fn. 21) Mentioned 1455 as site of tenements by
Bulgeres Lane, c. 1285. (fn. 22) Unidentified.
Bull Lane, 1708, (fn. 23) from inn: Gore Lane, c. 1260,
1830. (fn. 24)
Butchers' Row, see Westgate Street.
Castle Lane, early 13th cent. (fn. 25) The continuation of Upper Quay Street through to the
castle. Destroyed for new Shire Hall complex
Catherine Wheel Lane, see Berkeley Street.
Clare Street, 1834: (fn. 26)
Dockham Lane, 1722, 1834. (fn. 27)
College Court, given that name 1778: (fn. 28)
Lane, 1333, (fn. 29) 1535; Ironmongers' Row, 1455,
1523; (fn. 30)
Turries Lane, 1455, 1544; (fn. 31)
Lane, 1509, (fn. 32) 1743; Upper College Lane, 1714,
1778. (fn. 33)
College Street (formerly Lane), 1780: Lich Lane,
1276, 1509, (fn. 34) because it gave access to the abbey
burial ground; Abbey Lane, 1455, 1649; St.
Edward's Lane, 1509, 1544, (fn. 35) perhaps from an
unofficial canonization accorded to Edward II
after his burial in the abbey; King Edward's
Lane, 1551, 1784, (fn. 36) from the abbey gate, said to
have been built by Edward I; Lower College
Lane, 1714, 1795. (fn. 37) The name King Edward's
Lane was used later (1826) for an alley, also
called Upper George Passage, on the east side
of College Street.
Constitution Walk, 1779. (fn. 38)
Cordwainers' Row, see Northgate Street.
Craft's Lane, see College Court.
Cross Keys Lane, 1780, from inn: Scrudde Lane,
1312, (fn. 39) 1535; Crud Lane, 1649, 1789. (fn. 40)
Crypt Alley, see St. Mary's Lane.
Crypt Lane, see Greyfriars.
Dean's Walk, 1803: (fn. 41)
Chapel House Walk, 1843.
Existed from medieval times as part of a way
from the blind gate to St. Thomas's chapel and
Kingsholm palace (e.g. 1535).
Dockham Lane, used for various streets which led
to Dockham ditch (formerly the Old Severn),
see Clare Street; Mount Street; White Swan
Dog Lane, 1780: Brook Lane, 1832. (fn. 42) Mentioned
1455 as the way leading from outside the east
gate to Brook Street. Destroyed 1970s for new
Dolphin Lane, 1843, from inn. Led off Northgate
Street, north of the Oxbode. Closed during
redevelopment of the area 1926.
Eastgate Street, 1473: (fn. 43)
Jews', or Jewry, Street,
1310; (fn. 44)
Ailesgate Street, 1330, 1709. (fn. 45)
Ebridge Street, see Westgate Street.
Fete Lane, see Alvin Street.
Fish Street, 1395. (fn. 46) Unidentified.
Fox Entry, see Mercers' Entry.
Gore Lane, see Bull Lane.
Goseyrote Lane, 1277. (fn. 47) Unidentified.
Grace Lane, see St. John's Lane.
Grant Lane, see New Inn Lane.
Great Western Road, given that name 1889. (fn. 48) The
northern part was Hyde Lane, 1589, (fn. 49) 1826; it
was lengthened 1830s to give access to union
workhouse and called Union Lane. (fn. 50) A street
further east later took the name Hyde Lane.
Green Dragon Lane, see Parliament Street.
Greyfriars, 1843, from Franciscan friary: Friars
Street, or Lane, before 1714, 1743; Crypt
Lane, 1714, from church of St. Mary de Crypt.
Half Street, see St. Mary's Street.
Hare Lane, 1301: (fn. 51) 'the tanners' street', c. 1235. (fn. 52)
The southern part, between Pitt Street and
Northgate Street, was called Tewkesbury
Hare Lane, Back or Little, see Park Street.
Hyde Lane, see Great Western Road.
Ironmongers' Row, see College Court.
Island, The, see Westgate Street.
Jewry or Jews' Street, see Eastgate Street.
Kimbrose (formerly St. Kyneburgh's) Lane, 1743,
from almshouse, formerly chapel.
King's Walk, 1970s, when the surviving part of
the old street was redeveloped as a covered
shopping area: King Street, 1780, 1970s. The
north part was removed in the late 1920s when
King's Square was laid out.
Ladybellegate Street, 1843, from a gate to Blackfriars at its northern end, which was called after
Joan (d. 1567), wife of Sir Thomas Bell.
Leather Bottle Lane, see Archdeacon Street.
Lich Lane, see College Street.
Longsmith Street, 1549: (fn. 53) 'the smiths' street',
1215; (fn. 54)
Old Smiths' Street, 1390, (fn. 55) 1535;
Schoolhouse Lane, 1535, from school kept there
by Llanthony Priory; Bolt Lane, 1714, 1843,
Love Alley, see Mercers' Entry.
Maverdine Lane, 1455, 1799 (fn. 56) (name no longer in
use). The alley running along the east side of
no. 26 Westgate Street. (fn. 57)
Mercers' Entry (or Alley), c. 1770, 1875 (fn. 58) (name
no longer in use): Love Alley, before 1714; Fox
Entry, 1855. (fn. 59) Runs between upper Westgate
Street and Cross Keys Lane.
Mercers' Row, see Westgate Street.
Milk Street, 1620, 1732. (fn. 60) Unidentified, in St.
Mary de Crypt parish.
Mill Lane, see Station Road.
Mitre Street, see the Oxbode.
Mount Street, 1883: (fn. 61)
Dockham, 1843, 1852.
Myende Lane, c. 1270. (fn. 62) Unidentified, in lower
Westgate Street area.
New Inn Lane, 1549: (fn. 63)
Grant Lane, c. 1190, (fn. 64)
1649; Rosse Lane, 1342, (fn. 65) 1455. Also said to
have been called Pilgrims' Lane, before 1714.
New Street, see Bearland; Queen Street.
Northgate Street, 1455. The part between the
north gate and outer north gate was usually
distinguished as lower Northgate Street, e.g.
1649, 1780. The west side of the upper part of
the street was called Cordwainers' Row, 1392,
c. 1740. (fn. 66)
Onnyat Lane, see Alvin Street.
Oxbode, The (or Oxbode, or Oxbody, Lane),
1263: (fn. 67)
Mitre Street, 1836, 1896, (fn. 68) from inn.
The street was widened and truncated in the
Park Street, 1843: 'the middle lane' called Hare
Lane, 1535; Little Hare Lane, 1598; (fn. 69)
Hare Lane, 1743, 1805. (fn. 70)
Parker's Row, see Brunswick Road.
Parliament Street, 1860: (fn. 71)
Green Dragon, or
Dragon Lane, 1756, 1860, (fn. 72) from inn.
Pilgrims' Lane, see New Inn Lane.
Pitt Street, 1843, from the Pitt family, which had
a house there: Behind the Walls, 1536, 1766; (fn. 73)
the west part was called College Wall and the
east part Beast Market, 1780, 1805. (fn. 74)
Portcullis Lane, see St. Mary's Street.
Powke (or Puke) Lane, early 13th cent., (fn. 75) 1455.
On the north side of lower Westgate Street.
Closed by 1544. (fn. 76)
Quay Court or Little Quay Lane, see Turnstile
Quay Street (or Lane), 1714. Apparently
unnamed 1633 when mentioned as the 'street
leading by the Marybone Park rails'. (fn. 77)
Quay Street, Lower (formerly Lane), 1733: (fn. 78) 'the
fullers' street', early 13th cent.; (fn. 79)
Lane, early 13th cent., (fn. 80) 1535; Quay Lane,
Quay Street, Upper (formerly Lane), 1630. (fn. 81)
Sometimes regarded as part of Castle Lane,
e.g. c. 1770, 1829. (fn. 82)
Queen's Walk, 1970s, when redeveloped as a
covered way: possibly New Street, near the east
gate, 1746; (fn. 83) named as part of Travel Lane in
1780; Queen Street, 1817, (fn. 84) 1970s.
Rosse Lane, see New Inn Lane.
St. Aldate Street (formerly Lane), 1544, (fn. 85) from
church: St. Aldhelm's Lane, 1455, when that
was an alternative dedication of the church.
St. Catherine Street, 1714, from church. Wateringstead, or Watering, Street, 1350, 1728, from
a watering place on the Old Severn, was used
for the whole street from the blind gate to Alvin
gate; (fn. 86) later, 1780, 1843, the southern part near
St. Oswald's was called Water Street and the
rest St. Catherine Street.
St. Edward's (or King Edward's) Lane, see
St. John's Lane, 1714, from church: Grace Lane,
late 13th cent., 1814, (fn. 87) from church of St. Mary
St. Mary's Lane (Marylone), 1316, (fn. 88) from church
of St. Mary de Crypt: Crypt, or St. Mary de
Crypt, Alley, 1714, 1826.
St. Mary's Street, 1883, (fn. 89) from church of St.
Mary de Lode. The southern part was called
Abbey Lane, 1316, (fn. 90) 1649, Portcullis Lane,
1649, 1721, (fn. 91) from inn, and Three Cocks Lane,
1743, 1867, (fn. 92) from inn. The northern part was
called Half Street, 1589, (fn. 93) 1852.
St. Peter's Lane, see College Court.
Saters Lane, 1455. Ran from Longsmith Street to
Blackfriars, east of Ladybellegate Street.
Closed by 1535.
Schoolhouse Lane, see Longsmith Street.
Scrudde Lane, see Cross Keys Lane.
Severn Street, 1295, 1643. (fn. 94) Ran from the Bristol
road to the Severn at the south boundary of the
city. The houses there were destroyed at the
siege of 1643, but it survived until the building
of the canal basin in the 1790s.
Sheep Lane, mid 13th cent., (fn. 95) 1535. Ran from
Greyfriars to the south wall of the city, parallel
to Southgate Street. It was partly built on, and
probably closed, by 1641, and part was used as
a garden in 1760. (fn. 96)
Shipsters Lane. Ran along the south wall of the
city, west of the south gate. Mostly destroyed
by the enlargement of the ditch 1260s. (fn. 97)
Small Lane, 1354, (fn. 98) 1535. Ran from St. Owen's
church to Severn Street, parallel to lower
Southgate Street. Probably destroyed 1643.
Smith Street, Little, see Berkeley Street.
Southgate Street, c. 1141. (fn. 99) The part outside the
south gate, as far as Severn Street, was
sometimes distinguished as lower Southgate
Street, e.g. 1535, 1780.
Station Road, 1883: (fn. 100)
Brook Street, early 13th
cent., (fn. 101) 1649; Mill Lane, 1843, 1852. In 1883
only the west part was called Station Road and
the east part was called Market Street; the
whole became Station Road after the building
of Eastgate station in 1896. (fn. 102) The houses in
Brook Street were destroyed at the siege of
Tewkesbury Street, see Hare Lane.
Three Cocks Lane, see St. Mary's Street.
Travel Lane, see Bell Lane.
Turnstile Alley, 1795, 1862: (fn. 103)
Anchor Alley, 1714;
Little Quay Lane, 1780, 1826; Quay Court,
1843. Ran from lower Westgate Street to the
north end of the quay. Destroyed early 20th
Turries Lane, see College Court.
Vete Lane, see Alvin Street.
Walkers' Lane, see Lower Quay Street.
Water, Watering, Wateringstead Street, see St.
Westgate Street, 1312: (fn. 104)
Ebridge Street, early
13th cent., 1595. (fn. 105) The western end, beyond
the Old Severn, once described as 'between the
bridges', early 13th cent., (fn. 106) 1743, became
known as The Island, 1728, (fn. 107) 1843. The
eastern end was once divided by a central line of
buildings into two lanes, that on the south side
called Butchers' Row, 1522, 1836, and that on
the north side called Mercers' Row, 1522,
1843. (fn. 108)
White Swan (or Swan) Lane, 1843, from inn:
Dockham Lane, 1455, 1826; Dock Lane, 1455,
1714. Ran from lower Westgate Street to the
Old Severn. Destroyed for redevelopment