Population: 1911, 140; 1921, 150; 1931, 170.
Baddesley Clinton lies near the post road from
Birmingham to Warwick, a short distance east from
Lapworth station on the Great Western Railway;
the northern and western boundaries are formed by
small streams, and the Warwick and Birmingham
canal runs parallel with and just inside the western
boundary of the parish. A road running north from
Rowington, at a little over 400 ft., as far as Park Farm
divides the parish in two, the eastern half being mainly
occupied by the extensive Hay Wood; in the western
half, in which lies the Hall, the ground slopes gently
to a level of 350 ft. at the canal. At Park Farm this
road branches westward to Parkwood, and eastwards
and then north by the Roman Catholic church to join
the Birmingham-Warwick road. The Roman Catholic
church of St. Francis of Assisi, erected in 1793, was
rebuilt in 1870 in the French Gothic style. It is
ajdoined by a convent, a Roman Catholic school, and
a burial ground, where Marmion Edward Ferrers,
lord of the manor 1830–84, is buried.
The Hall was built as a semi-fortified manor-house
surrounded by a moat, and approached by a drawbridge. It now consists of three sides (or ranges) of an
approximate rectangle, having lost its west range. The
internal courtyard was originally about 57 ft. north to
south and 37 ft. east to west, and was not a true rectangle, the west and north sides being a little longer
than those opposite them; the ranges are roughly 25 ft.
deep. The moat averages about 30 ft. in width on
three sides and about half that width on the east. The
entrance front with a gatehouse is towards the north. (fn. 1)
All the ranges are of two stories.
The building is said to go back to the 14th century.
Perhaps the thicker walls in the east half of the south
side are relics of this period, but most of the fabric
now seen is of mid- to late-15th-century date and
probably the work of John Brome. Considerable
alterations were made late in the 16th century. The
porch wing was heightened, the upper story and most
of that of the north range remodelled and new windows inserted, the rooms fitted with panelling and
chimney-pieces, &c., probably all done by Henry
Ferrers (the Antiquary), who was seventy years the
owner and died in 1633. Further alterations were
carried out in the first half of the 18th century,
especially to the east range, which has no windows
earlier than this period. Brick was used for the walls
instead of stone. About the same time, the west range
was demolished. (fn. 2) A parallel wing against the inner
side of the south range was added c. 1890.
There is a cellar passage (reached by a trap-door in
the brew-house) under the south range within the wall
towards the moat from east to west; it continued under
the former west range to the north-west angle and possibly to the north gateway. It is lighted in the south
wall by a contemporary series of loops in the plinth;
another loop is in the west end of the north range.
Definite evidence was discovered by Mr. Oliver Baker
in 1890 that it was used as a secret means of retreat in
the 15th century, and again in the 17th century, when
access to it was obtained from a 'hiding hole' in the
south range (see below).
The north front is built of grey stone ashlar and has
a 15th-century moulded plinth and at the first-floor level
a moulded string-course that is lifted at the windows
to form labels. In the middle is the projecting porch,
with a similar plinth and string-course, and an upper
string-course and a tall embattled parapet added in the
19th century. At its angles are diagonal buttresses of
two stages with moulded offsets. The outer entrance
has two arches in the thickness of the wall: the outer
arch is a tall one with double-ogee moulded jambs and
a flattened four-centred head and hood-mould. Its
reveals are 2½ ft. deep to receive the former drawbridge. (fn. 3) The inner and lower has moulded jambs and
a four-centred arch in a square head with traceried
spandrels. The entrance is flanked by two oillets or
loopholes with enlarged embrasures inside for the use
of defending bowmen. In the side-walls are 15th-century windows, now unglazed, of two four-centred
lights under a square head and below them are similar
oillets and stone benches. A large stone, probably a
counterweight for the drawbridge, is preserved in the
porch. The inner entrance admitting to the gate hall
contains the original oak door (fn. 4) with chamfered styles
and muntins and five panels with ridged centres and
ogee ends; in it is a wicket door. The upper story has
a large Elizabethan window of six lights with moulded
stone-work, lighting the Banqueting Hall, and in the
side walls are shorter windows of four lights.
The two lower windows in the main wall west of
the porch are of two and three lights, of the 15th
century. The two upper windows are Elizabethan, of
three and four lights with plain square heads. In the
plinth is a rectangular loop to a cellar. The lower
window east of the porch, lighting the Dining Room,
is of five square-headed lights with moulded mullions;
it is probably an Elizabethan enlargement of an original
window, indicated by a straight joint east of the window. The upper window of four lights is similar.
Another straight joint and the stopping of the original
plinth and string-course tally with the end of the east
range, which is of modern ashlar and has 18th-century
BADDESLEY CLINTON HALL
The west end of the range is gabled and has a projecting stone chimney-stack with tabling, and a shaft
in thin bricks of star-shaped plan, partly on corbelling.
South of the chimney-stack is a 15th- or 16th-century
stone window of three square-headed lights. In the
upper story are two Elizabethan windows of three
lights. Below the lower window is a small rectangular
light to a cellar, and under that in the plinth is a loop
to the basement passage.
The archway from the gateway into the courtyard
has a segmental and square head with a label. A large
Elizabethan window over it is like that over the porch:
the gable-head over it has close-set timber studding.
The two windows to the Dining Room, east of the
gateway, are probably original, and the upper windows Elizabethan. Most of these windows have
ancient lead lattice glazing. The two internal chimney-stacks on this range have 17th-century octagonal shafts
of brick above the roof.
The east front is of plain 18th-century brickwork
and has square-headed windows with wood mullions
and frames. In the north half is a projecting chimney-stack, to the Great Hall, of stone. At the south-east
angle is a kind of low tower projecting to both east
and south. The lower story is of plain 15th-century
ashlar and has a small original four-centred light in
each of the east, south, and west walls. Below the east
window is a square aperture which Mr. Oliver Baker
found to contain a sliding stone at this end of the cellar
passage. External corbels at the angles probably supported a jettied upper story. This is now flush with
the lower walls and is cemented.
The inner face of the range to the courtyard is also
of brick, but at the top is a range of five timber-framed
gable-heads projecting on cambered bressummers.
The northern three have herring-bone framing of the
16th century and the southern two are of square
framing. All the windows and the doorway to the
Little Hall are of 18th-century and later date. The
middle window of the three to the Great Hall was
formerly a doorway. An internal chimney-stack over
the State Bedroom fire-place has two 17th-century
diagonal shafts of brick.
The south range is of 15th-century stone-work except
perhaps near the east end, where the wall is much
thicker and may be earlier. Below the moulded member of the plinth is the series of loop-lights to the cellar
passage. There are three 15th-century windows, each
of three lights. Of the range of five upper windows
the western three are each of two four-centred lights;
the eastern two, lighting the chapel, are probably later
alterations of three square-headed lights under a square
head with a label. At the east end are two taller and
narrower windows, each of two pointed lights under
a square head; they are deeply recessed, especially the
lower, in the above-mentioned thick wall, and are
probably much earlier. West of the upper is a diminutive four-centred light and below this another, with a
plain loop west of it: there is little doubt that these
originally served a staircase. The roof of the east range
terminates in a gable on this front.
The west end of the wing is of ashlar like the other
wing. There are near the outer angle straight joints
indicating a former doorway which probably served
some purpose in connexion with the old brewhouse
The interior of the north gateway is paved with
ancient stone set in an interlacing octagon pattern, and
it has a chamfered beam in the plastered ceiling. In
the west wall is a four-centred doorway leading to the
west rooms, and two other square-headed doorways
lead to steps down to cellars.
The entrance from the courtyard opens into the
'Little Hall' in the east range; it has a high dado of
carved 17th-century panelling and a little with linenfold panels.
The Great Hall north of it is lighted by three
windows towards the courtyard and one east window,
north of the chimney-stack. It is lined with 17th-century oak panelling. The massive chimney-stack
projects well into the room and has a fine stone
chimney-piece of the late 16th century that was formerly in the Banqueting Hall over the gateway. The
square fire-place is flanked by shaped pilasters of halfbaluster type carved with scrolls, conventional foliage
and flowers, and lions' masks, and surmounted by a
similarly enriched rounded moulding. The overmantel has, between terminal figures in Elizabethan
costume, a panel enclosing a carved achievement of
arms of Ferrers of Baddesley quartering Brome, Hampden, and White, with a crest of a unicorn, and affixed
on the frame are six small shields of arms.
The recess south of the fire-place is partitioned off
and contains the lower half of the main staircase rising
southwards. The stair was formerly in the Little Hall,
and this arrangement was probably an 18th-century
or later alteration. The chamber formerly contained
some fine furniture, including a table 21 ft. long with
a top 2 ft. 8 in. wide consisting of two 2 in. planks supported by four moulded middle balusters on cross-sills
and with scrolled brackets carrying a long middle beam.
This was removed to Packwood House in 1939.
The Drawing Room in the north-east angle is lined
with late-16th-century panelling and has a west fireplace flanked by fluted oak pilasters and with a contemporary overmantel with carved shafts and a shield
of Ferrers impaling White.
The Dining Room, next west, has similar wall
lining. The east fire-place has a richly carved chimney-piece of three bays with four heavy pilasters, the outermost continued down to the floor. The middle bay
has an achievement of arms of Ferrers (only). The
plastered ceiling has a late-16th-century moulded
Behind (east of) the Little Hall is the Butler's Pantry,
separated by plain panelling from the Servants' Hall,
in the south-east angle, which is lighted by the
deeply set window in the south wall as well as an east
window. It is lined with late-16th-century panelling.
In this is a doorway to the chamber in the south-east
tower, and it conceals another strong door of ridged
battens set in a four-centred stone doorway of the 15th
century: the door is furnished with a latch, a bolt, and
a draw-bar on the tower side and was obviously used
for defensive purposes. (fn. 5)
The lobby south of the Little Hall has a south
doorway, now only serving a cupboard, with a 15th-century four-centred head with carved spandrels. The
stairway to which it opened was obliterated when the
kitchen fire-place was made. The Kitchen has a ceiling
of c. 1500 with moulded cross-beams and panels with
moulded ribs. West of the kitchen are offices terminating in the old Brewhouse at the west end, which
retains some large cauldrons.
On the upper floor the 'State Bedroom', over the
Butler's Pantry, has a west arched fire-place of stone
with rusticated pilasters and an oak overmantel with
early-17th-century arched alcoves and above these
three oak panels. The middle panel has an achievement of arms of Ferrers of Groby quartering Hampden
and a shield of pretence of White. The room is lined
with contemporary panelling: it is entered from halfway up the main staircase. At the top landing a doorway with an ancient ribbed door opens southward
into a wide passage west of the State Bedroom: it has
a moulded panelled ceiling. Four 15th-century arched
doorways at the south end open into the 'Blue Room',
Sacristy, Chapel, and passage of the south range. The
'Blue Room', in the south-east angle, is lined with
late-16th-century panelling with a carved frieze. It
has the upper deeply recessed window in the thick
wall, and a fire-place with moulded jambs and lintel. A
doorway hung with cocks' heads hinges opens into the
Powder Closet, the upper chamber of the south-east
tower. This is lined with similar panelling, with a
moulded and carved cornice, and has a west fire-place
of moulded stone carved with roses and fleurs-de-lis,
now painted. The oak overmantel has two roundheaded panels and pilasters with terminal figures, and
the letters EF. The small narrow chamber next west,
on the site of the former stair, is lighted by two of the
former tiny lights and is used as the Sacristy to the
Chapel. In the floor was a trapdoor from which a shaft
leads down to the cellar-passage. The Chapel, next
west, was created in 1634 by Edward Ferrers. It is
lined with plain panelling filled with old Spanish
stamped leather. A plain fire-place in the south (outer)
wall has a panelled overmantel with a raised shield of
arms. There are also 57 other shields, comparatively
modern, of Ferrers armorials. A small late-15th-century brass of the wife of Nicholas Brome is also
preserved here, but a window with the arms of Henry
Ferrers, the Antiquary, 'Lord of Baddesley Clinton
for 70 years', died 1633, has recently been removed.
Arched doorways open into the rooms in the south
range. The westernmost rooms are known as the
The first floor over the Great Hall and in the north
range is higher. One of the two bedrooms over the
Hall has painted panelling. That over the Drawing
Room has its west fire-place surrounded by twelve
carved round-headed oak panels. The bedroom over
the Dining Room has a Tudor stone fire-place and is
lined with late-16th-century panelling.
The Banqueting Room over the gateway is an
Elizabethan chamber, the upper part of the porchwing forming a deep bay to it. This room is also
panelled and has a stone fire-place; the chimney-piece,
now in the Great Hall, has been made good by old
panelling from the Library. The room has a segmental
barrel-vaulted ceiling, and the north and south walls
have enriched cornices above the wide windows.
The Library—the north-west room—is similarly
panelled and has a stone arched fire-place and an oak
overmantel of three round-headed panels, dated 1634.
A small chamber cut off the south of it in 1754 appears
to have some traces of old wall-painting.
All roof construction is hidden by the plastered ceilings.
In the windows of the Hall and other rooms are
reset 36 panels of coloured glass with 16th-century
armorials of Ferrers and connexions by marriage.
Three are dated 1560, 1585, and 1588. Many others
are earlier and have coronets. Many of them also have
the names below them. These names as well as some
of the shields themselves were probably put in by
Henry Ferrers the Antiquary. (fn. 6)
The stables, north-east of the house, are of 17th-century brickwork: they include a turret with the
original clock and a weather-vane. The north forecourt has a 17th-century gateway with stone posts
having acorn heads, and a lower stone wall with
standards, also with acorn heads.
A farm-house about a mile to the north, now Chadwick Riding School, is a mid-17th-century house of
square timber-framing and with a tiled roof and plain
BADDESLEY CLINTON finds no
mention in Domesday. (fn. 7) Possibly at that
time it was included in Hampton-in-Arden,
with which it retained some connexion, so that at first
it follows the descent of that manor (q.v.). Roger de
Mowbray is said (fn. 8) to have bestowed the lands of
Baddesley upon Walter de Bisege at some time between
1100 and 1135. The Mowbrays remained the overlords of Baddesley Clinton until early in the reign of
Henry IV, (fn. 9) though subsequently Baddesley was held
from the Clinton family. (fn. 10) It remained in the Bisege
family for four generations, descending from Walter to
his son Ralph and from him to his son James.
James (fn. 11) had a daughter and heir Mazera who
married Sir Thomas de Clinton of Coleshill about 1225,
and with this marriage Baddesley passed into the hands
of the Clinton family, from whom it was called
Baddesley Clinton to distinguish it from Baddesley
Ensor. Thomas de Clinton, who died in 1277, (fn. 12) was
succeeded here by his fourth son, James, who died
after 25 March 1323; (fn. 13) but in 1316 the name of the
lord of Baddesley is given as John de Clinton, (fn. 14) who
was the heir of Sir Thomas and presumably held the
Mowbray. Gules a lion argent.
Clinton. Argent a chief azure with two pierced molets or therein.
Thomas son of James de Clinton was dead by 25
March 1336, when a grant was made of certain lands
by his mother and his widow; (fn. 15) his son Leonard died
without issue before 1349 (fn. 16) and the manor came into
the hands of Thomas's two daughters, Joan and Parnel,
who married John de Coningsby and John Wodard of
Solihull respectively. In 1355 (fn. 17) John and Parnel made
over all Parnel's claim to the manor to John Coningsby,
whereby the whole manor came into his hands. After
the death of John Coningsby, Joan married John
Foukes of Dry Marston, co. Gloucester. On 25 July
1394, (fn. 18) they sold the whole manor to Nicholas Dudley,
a merchant of Coventry. The extent of the manor is
given (fn. 19) as a messuage, 3 carucates of land, 8 acres of
meadow, 200 acres of wood, and 6s. 8d. rent. This
transaction appears to have been of a temporary nature
only, though Nicholas Dudley presented to the church
in 1396 and on 23 April 1398 held his court there. (fn. 20)
On 29 June 1400 the manor was conveyed to Robert
Burdet and Joan his wife, (fn. 21) to whom Richard Bushell of
Dry Marston, co. Gloucester, and Margery his wife, (fn. 22)
quitclaimed the manor. After her husband's death
Joan, on 8 August 1434, (fn. 23) granted the manor to her
nephew Nicholas Metley, (fn. 24) son of her sister Margaret,
retaining her right to reside in the Hall. In 1437
Nicholas died and by his will directed that the manor
of Baddesley Clinton should be sold to provide four
priests to say mass for his soul. (fn. 25) According to Dugdale
Robert Catesby, (fn. 26) one of Metley's executors, purchased the manor and resided there until 1460. There
is, however, record (fn. 27) that Joan Burdet enfeoffed John
Sperman, John Baxter, and John Brome junior in the
manor of Baddesley for a penny rent; and from 23
April 1438 the courts are described (fn. 28) as being of John
Brome, junior, 'lord of this vill'. From John Brome,
who was murdered at White Friars, London, in 1468
by John Herthill, (fn. 29) it descended to his
son Nicholas, who is said to have avenged
his father's death by killing Herthill, and
also to have killed the parish priest for
chucking his wife under the chin. (fn. 30)
Nicholas Brome died in 1517 seised of the
manor of Baddesley Clinton. (fn. 31) He left two
daughters, of whom Constance married Sir
Edward Ferrers. The manor was settled
on them in 1531, (fn. 32) a rent of £12 13s. 4d.,
for the second moiety, being assigned to
Dorothy wife of Francis Cokayne and
her heirs. (fn. 33) Her mother Isabel Marrow
was sister of Constance and co-heir of
Nicholas Brome. (fn. 34) After Constance's death in 1551
the manor descended to her grandson, Edward
Ferrers, (fn. 35) to whom livery was made of the manor,
park, advowson of church and water-mill in 1553. (fn. 36)
The manor descended in the family of Ferrers, the
lord in 1937 being Cecil Ferrers, esq., (fn. 37) but since
that date the estate has been sold to Mr. Walker
Brome. Sable a cheveron argent with three sprigs of broom thereon.
Ferrers. Gules seven voided lozenges or and a quarter ermine.
Part of Baddesley Clinton had a distinct and separate
history, though it has been held since the reign of
Henry VIII by the lord of the manor. (fn. 38) It consists of
fields now known as Great and Little Wallis, but
formerly as Whalleys and Wales. It is a parcel of the
Duchy of Lancaster, and is possibly what is called the
manor of 'Radesle' in Warwickshire, late of Henry,
Duke of Lancaster, that the king, with the consent of
Maud, one of the Duke's daughters, assigned to his own
son John and Blanche his wife, the other daughter. (fn. 39)
The land was leased to Nicholas Brome (fn. 40) by Edward
IV in 1469 and the grant was renewed to him and
Edward Ferrers jointly in 1507, by Henry VII. (fn. 41)
Subsequently the lands called Whalles alias Wales
were granted for ever to Edward Ferrers by Henry
VIII in 1513. (fn. 42) A special reference is made to this
tenure at the death of Edward Ferrers in 1564 (fn. 43) and
of Henry Ferrers in 1638. (fn. 44)
There are very few references to mills at Baddesley
Clinton. In 1531 a water-mill is mentioned, (fn. 45) and
again in 1538 (fn. 46) and at subsequent dates down to
1668. (fn. 47)
The parish church of ST. MICHAEL
(once St. James) (fn. 48) consists of a chancel,
nave, and west tower. The nave dates
from the 13th century. From the eastward position of
the side doorways it is probable that the plan was then
a plain rectangle including a chancel.
The west tower was built about 1500 by Nicholas
Brome, as recorded by an inscription on the south wall.
The clearstory was added at the same time, (fn. 49) and it was
probably then that the chancel arch was inserted.
The chancel is said by Dugdale to have been
lengthened 12 ft. in 1535, but it was entirely rebuilt in
1634 by Edward Ferrers; as is recorded on a tablet in
the chancel. The 16th-century east window with its
ancient glass was retained in place, or re-set, as was also
the tomb of Sir Edward Ferrers, who died in 1535.
The addition to the nave roof was probably also part of
the same work.
Plan of Baddesley Clinton Church.
The chancel (26½ ft. by 16½ ft.) has an early-16th-century east window of five cinquefoiled four-centred
lights under a four-centred head with an external
hood-mould; the window has a plain transom. The
jambs outside are hollow-moulded. In the middle of
the north wall is a single window of two square-headed
lights. The south wall has two similar windows each of
three lights. East of the second is a priests' doorway
with chamfered jambs and a four-centred head with
a moulded drip-stone. It had a drawbar inside.
Between that and the eastern window is the tombrecess mentioned below. The walls are of red sandstone
ashlar and have chamfered plinths. The east wall is
gabled, and has an old coping and gable-cross. The
roof-timbers are hidden by a modern plastered barrel-vaulted ceiling.
The chancel arch has plain chamfered jambs and a
two-centred head, difficult to date. The wall is of
ashlar and only 2 ft. thick; as it supports the east end of
the clearstory it must be of the same date or earlier.
The nave (about 31 ft. by 16 ft.) has two north
windows. The eastern, right against the east wall, is of
two plain pointed lights under a two-centred head of
the 13th century. The other, near the west end, is a
late-14th-century window of two narrow trefoiled
lights, and foiled piercings in a square head. The north
doorway, east of the second, is a 13th-century opening
with chamfered jambs and two-centred head with a
plain external hood-mould, and a segmental rear-arch.
The door is unused and is fixed; it is ancient, of ridged
battens and hollow-chamfered ribs.
In the south wall the only lower window is one
against the east wall, which forms its east reveal, while
the west splay is of rough ashlar. It is of two squareheaded lights and is probably a late (17th or 18th
century) window put in to light the pulpit. Below it
outside are traces of a former window. The south
doorway is in the middle of the wall; it is of two sunk
chamfered orders with a two-centred head and hoodmould, probably late-13th-century. The walls are of
sandstone rubble, much of it squared, without plinths.
A toothed joint marks the junction of the 17th-century
chancel wall on the north side, and on the south is some
brickwork at the junction. A patch of shaly rubble east
of the south doorway may indicate a destroyed window.
Above is an early-16th-century clearstory of ashlar,
with a low-pitched east gable on which is built the
higher 17th-century gable wall. The eaves-courses are
moulded and carried across the east end as a parapet
string-course. It is lighted by three windows each side,
each of three cinquefoiled lights under a square head.
The jambs have wide casement hollows.
The ceiling is of the same date and is divided into
three bays by moulded beams or ties supported by
curved braces that have spandrels of varying tracery
and carvings, one a Tudor rose. The corbels supporting
them are plain, except one on the south side which is
crudely carved with a human head and bust holding a
shield. The joists or rafters have foiled panelled soffits
and are supported by a ridge-pole and two purlins;
carved bosses cover the intersections of these; wide
boarding covers the backs of the rafters. The higherpitched roof above is a 17th-century addition with later
repairs; it has braced collar beams. The east gable is of
smaller ashlar than the 16th-century wall below it and
has an old coping. The roofs are tiled.
The west tower (about 8 ft. square inside) is of three
stages divided by string-courses. The walls are of
ashlar with a moulded plinth and embattled parapet
with carved spouts at the string-course level. At the
west angles are diagonal buttresses and at the east square
buttresses flush with the east wall, of four stages with
moulded offsets. Next to the south-east buttress is a
projecting stair-turret reaching to the parapet, where it
is of semi-octagonal plan. It is entered by a fourcentred doorway in the south wall which has an ancient
The archway towards the nave is two-centred and of
two chamfered orders, the inner with an impost moulding. The west door has jambs of two hollow-chamfered
orders and a four-centred arch in a square head with
weather-worn carved spandrels—one apparently a
Tudor rose—and moulded label having lozengeshaped volute stops. The west window is of three
cinquefoiled ogee-headed lights and vertical tracery in
a two-centred head with an external hood-mould
having human-head stops, one crowned. In the second
stage are small square-headed windows to the west and
south. The bell-chamber has a window in each wall, of
two trefoiled lights in a three-centred head and with a
transom. The roof is a low-pitched gable covered with
On the south wall inside is the inscription: NICHOLAS
BROME ESQUIRE LORD OF BADDESLEY DID NEW BVILD THIS
STEEPLE IN THE RAIGNE OF KING HENRY THE SEAVENTH.
HE DIED IN OCTOBER 1517.
In the east window is some early-16th-century and
17th-century coloured glass. Above an inscription in
memory of Sir Edward Ferrers and Lady Constance,
who had the window put up, are their kneeling figures
with three sons and five daughters, and scrolls with the
inscriptions 'Sancte Georgi ora pro nobis' and 'Sancta
Katerina, ora pro nobis'. Below him is a shield of 32
quarters with unicorn supporters, and below her is one
of eight quarters on a shafted canopy. Under these
again are four other shields in shafted canopies: dexter,
one of Ferrers impaling Hampden (named Henry son
of Sir Edward and Lady Constance) and another of
Ferrers impaling White (Henry son of Sir Edward and
Lady Bridget); sinister, two others with names, first
Edward son of Sir Henry married Bridget daughter of
William, Lord Windsor, 1548, died 1564, and second,
Edward son of Henry and Jane, married Anne Peto
1611: she died 1618.
The communion table is of the 17th century with
turned legs and carved rails. The chancel is lined with
a dado of 18th-century panelling adapted from former
pews. In the chancel arch is an oak screen dated 1634.
It has moulded posts, dividing it into four bays, the
middle pair being doors. It has closed panelling below
the middle rail, and is open above with curved bracketpieces, a moulded top rail and above it an open-work
cresting with posts and curved brackets. The top rail is
inscribed: HIC QVÆRITE REGNA DEI  PROCVL HINC
PROCVL ESTE PROPHANI, and the rail in the cresting:
MEMOR ESTO BREVIS ÆVI.
The font is a simple octagonal one of the 15th or
16th century renovated. The bowl has the eye for one
of the staples for the former lid.
In the nave four of the benches have 17th-century
standards with tri-lobe poppy-heads and humped
A chest 3½ ft. long is of late-16th-century date. It
has some ornamental ironwork and had three locks.
On the south side of the chancel is an altar-tomb
projecting from a moulded four-centred recess. It is to
Sir Edward Ferrers, son of Sir Henry and Margaret
(Hekstall) his wife, died 29 August 1535; also to
Constance (Brome) his wife, died 30 September 1551;
and to Henry their eldest son, who married Katherine
Hampden and died 1526 leaving issue Edward, who
married Bridget daughter of William, Lord Windsor of
Bradenham, in 1548 and died 1564. The top slab has
moulded edges and the front is divided into three bays
of traceried panels enclosing shields of arms of Ferrers,
plain and impaling Brome and Hampden.
On the south wall is a sunk panel inscribed in Roman
capitals: EDWARD FERRERS ESQ. SONNE & HEIRE OF HENRY
FERRERS & JANE WHITE HIS WIFE DID NEW BVILDE AND
REEDIFY THIS CHANCELL AT HIS OWNE PROPER COSTES &
CHARGES ANO. DOMI. 1634 THIS CHVRCH IS DEDICATED TO
ST IAMES. It has a painted shield of Ferrers impaling
Peto. (fn. 50)
A modern tablet records twelve generations of the
Ferrers family from 1535 to 1830.
There are three bells; (fn. 51) (1) inscribed 'Sācte Nicolae
Ora Pro W Nobis H', by William Hasylwood of
Reading c. 1500; (2) by Henry Bagley 1678, and (3)
inscribed 'S. Toma' by Thomas Newcombe (1562–
80) of Leicester. The oak cages are ancient, but the
stocks are new and the wheels have been removed.
The communion plate includes a silver chalice
inscribed with the date 1723.
The registers date from 1747.
In the churchyard is an ancient yew tree, partly
Two low posts framed into cross-sills, now connected
by an iron tie rod, may have been the standards for
The chapel of Baddesley was evidently included in the grant of the
church of Hampton-in-Arden to
Kenilworth Priory made by Roger Mowbray in the
12th century. (fn. 52) Shortly after the church of Hampton
was appropriated, in 1217, (fn. 53) William de Arden, lord of
that manor, disputed the right of the priory, but a
compromise was reached in 1221, one of the clauses of
which assigned the tithes of the chapel of Baddesley to
the vicar of Hampton. (fn. 54) The chapel had become an
independent parish church before 1298, when John de
Clinton held the advowson of Roger Mowbray. (fn. 55) It
was poorly endowed, (fn. 56) being only worth £4 6s. 8d. in
1535. (fn. 57) The advowson followed the descent of the
manor but, owing to the Ferrers family being Roman
Catholics, the living has in recent years been in the gift
of the University of Oxford.
William Knight by will dated 18
Feb. 1716–17 gave to the poor of
Baddesley Clinton a yearly sum of 10s.
to be given away on Good Friday. The gift is now
secured on property at Chadwick End and is distributed by the chairman of the parish meeting to the
poor in kind.
Joseph Wheeler by will proved 1 May 1895 bequeathed one-half of the residue of his estate to the
Roman Catholic Bishop of Birmingham, the Roman
Catholic Priest of Baddesley Clinton, and the Reverend
Mother Abbess of the Convent of Poor Clares, upon
trust to invest the same and apply the income for such
charitable purposes in the parish as they shall determine.
The legacy is now represented by £3,600 7s. 8d.
Consols producing an annual income of £90 which is
distributed by the trustees to the poor in kind.
Edward Heneage Dering by will proved 27 Jan.
1893 gave £300 to the Roman Catholic Priest of
Baddesley Clinton, the interest to be distributed to the
poor of the parish in bread and meat. By a Scheme of
the Charity Commissioners of the 26 May 1925 the
trustee was authorized to supply other articles in kind
in addition to those directed in the will. The endowment now produces £6 18s. 6d. annually.