This volume of the Victoria History of Essex is the fourth to be published under the
co-operative system described in the editorial note to Volume IV. The contributing
Local Authorities have continued their grants, and the Essex Victoria County History
Committee, formed mainly of representatives of those Authorities, has continued to
survey the progress of the work. It must be recorded with regret that Alderman Sir
Frank Foster, Chairman of the Committee from 1958, died in 1964. He was succeeded
by Mr. William Addison, previously Vice-Chairman. The University of London expresses its thanks to these gentlemen and to the other officers and members of the
Committee for their services, and to the participating Authorities (listed below) for
their generous grants. During the compilation of the present volume the full-time
assistant editorship has been held by Mr. Peter Heath (1958–9), Miss Anne V. Worsley
(1959–63) and Mr. D. J. Johnson (1964–5), while Mrs. Avril H. Powell has been parttime assistant editor since 1959.
It was originally planned that this volume should contain histories of all the parishes
in Waltham and Becontree Hundreds, preceded by an article on 'Metropolitan Essex
since 1850', but it eventually became clear that such a volume would be too long and it
was therefore decided to divide it. Volume V contains the introductory article, along
with articles on all the Waltham Hundred parishes, and on the first two parishes, in
alphabetical order, in Becontree Hundred. It is intended that Volume VI shall contain
the remaining Becontree Hundred parishes.
As in Volume IV the brief descriptions of the earlier parochial registers of each
parish, commonly included in the topographical volumes of the History, have not been
considered necessary because of the publication by the County Council of Essex Parish
Records, 1240–1894 (1950; revised edition 1966).
The compilers have once again received help from many persons, whose kindness is
acknowledged in the text of the volume and in the lists of illustrations and of maps.
Especial thanks are due to Mr. H. M. Colvin and the Ministry of Public Building and
Works for information on excavations at Waltham Abbey, to Dr. R. J. Lambert for
making available notes of his researches on local government at Epping, and to the late
Mr. M. B. Cookson, of the University of London Institute of Archaeology, for help in
preparing photographs. The Ministry of Housing and Local Government have continued to allow the use of their unpublished lists of buildings of architectural or historical interest. Valuable services were rendered by public librarians, especially those
at Barking, Dagenham, and Ilford. The County Archivist, (Mr. F. G. Emmison) and
his staff gave special help at all stages. Galley proofs of all or part of the volume were
read by Mr. Addison, Mr. Emmison, Mr. G. Caunt, and Mr. J. Howson.