This volume of the Victoria History of Essex is the fifth to be published under the
co-operative system described in the editorial note to Volume IV. The contributing
Local Authorities have continued, and have substantially increased their grants, and
the Essex Victoria County History Committee, formed mainly of representatives of
those Authorities, has continued to survey the progress of the work under the chairmanship of Mr. William Addison. Mr. John O'Leary, Honorary Secretary of the Committee
since its formation, retired in 1967. He was succeeded by Mr. Donald L. Forbes, who
was already Honorary Treasurer, and who has since then held both offices. Mr. I. G.
Sparkes, Honorary Assistant Secretary from 1967 to 1969, was succeeded by Mr. K. H.
Sleat. The University of London expresses its thanks to these gentlemen and to the
other officers and members of the Committee for their services, and to the participating
Authorities (listed below) for their generous grants. During the compilation of the
present volume the deputy editorship has been held by Miss Hilda E. P. Grieve,
B.E.M. (1966–73). Mrs. Avril H. Powell (1959–70) and Mrs. Beryl A. Board (from 1969)
have served as part-time editorial assistants.
The structure and aims of the Victoria History series as a whole are outlined in the
General Introduction to the History (1970). As in Volumes IV and V the brief descriptions of the earlier parochial registers of each parish, commonly included in the topographical volumes of the History, have not been considered necessary because of the
publication by the County Council of Essex Parish Records, 1240–1894 (1950; revised
The compilers have again received help from many persons, whose kindness is
acknowledged in the text of the volume and in the lists of illustrations and of maps.
Especial thanks are due to Major Y. A. Burges for arranging for the temporary deposit
in the Essex Record Office of his estate documents relating to East Ham, and for other
help, and to Mr. L. Johnson, for information on postal history. Valuable services,
including proof-reading, were rendered by the staffs of the public libraries and
museums at Newham and Waltham Forest, the public library at Redbridge, and the
Essex Record Office. Proofs of parts of the volume were also read by Mr. G. Caunt,
Mr. D. L. Forbes, Mr. W. G. S. Tonkin, and the late Mr. E. R. Gamester. The Department of the Environment has continued to allow the use of its unpublished lists of
buildings of architectural or historical interest. A gift of £100 from Mr. Marc Fitch,
towards the cost of drawing the maps, is also gratefully acknowledged.