Under the Representation of the People Act, 1918,
Walthamstow, previously part of the Walthamstow
county division, became a parliamentary borough
with two divisions, east and west. (fn. 1)
At the 1918 election Walthamstow East was won
by a Conservative and the West by a Coalition
Labour candidate. The Conservatives held the East
until 1929. The West was won by Labour in 1922,
but lost to the Liberals in 1924. In 1929 both seats
were won by Labour: Walthamstow West was
regained by Valentine (later Baron) McEntee, first
mayor of Walthamstow, who had previously held
it in 1922–4. He retained it until 1950. The Conservatives won back the East in 1931 and held it
until 1945. From 1945 to 1951 both seats were held
by Labour. Clement R. (later Earl) Attlee, prime
minister 1945–51, represented Walthamstow West
from 1950 to 1955. The Conservatives won back
Walthamstow East in 1955, held it in 1959 and 1964,
but lost it again in 1966. Walthamstow West was
consistently held by Labour until the by-election of
1967, when a Conservative won it for the first time in
its history. Walthamstow East was regained by the
Conservatives at the by-election of 1969. In 1970
Labour regained Walthamstow West, while the
Conservatives held the East. (fn. 2)
||This section is based unless otherwise stated on: E. J.
iii. 179–85, iv. 9–26; A. D. Law, Our Town (2) (W.A.S.
Occ. Pub. vii), 38.
||Inf. from W.R.L.