1945 Hornchurch, previously in the Romford division, became a separate county constituency, coincident with Hornchurch urban district. (fn. 1) It was
constituted a parliamentary borough in 1948. With
an electorate which rose from 66,000 in 1945 to
100,000 in 1970 Hornchurch was one of the largest
constituencies in the country. It had a Labour
member from 1945 to 1955 and from 1966 to 1970,
and a Conservative from 1955 to 1966 and 1970 to
1974. Boundary changes, which took effect in 1974,
created three constituencies for the parliamentary
borough of Havering: Hornchurch, Romford, and
The new Hornchurch constituency was won by
Labour in February 1974 and held in November 1974.
||This section is based on J. Cantwell, Hornchurch, a
political survey, 1926–64. [Duplicated TS, 1965]; Hornchurch Charter Petition (1956), 9; Dod's Parliamentary
Companion (1966 and later edns.).