The hundred of Godalming
Introduction and map

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

H.E. Malden (editor)

Year published

1911

Supporting documents

Pages

1-2

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'The hundred of Godalming: Introduction and map', A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 3 (1911), pp. 1-2. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42920 Date accessed: 24 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

TOPOGRAPHY

THE HUNDRED OF GODALMING

CONTAINING THE PARISHES OF

ARTINGTON (fn. 1) HAMBLEDON PUTTENHAM
CHIDDINGFOLD HASLEMERE THURSLEY
COMPTON PEPER HAROW WITLEY
GODALMING

The history of the hundred is generally coincident with that of the manor. The earliest definite reference to the hundred is the confirmation of Artington Manor, and possibly Godalming also, to Stephen de Turnham, in 1206. (fn. 2) In 1221 the king directed the Sheriff of Surrey to give full seisin of the manor of Godalming, the hundred, and the market (town) of Haslemere to Richard, Bishop of Salisbury, which manor, &c., were belonging to Edelina de Broc, salvo iure nostro et beredium ipsius Edeline. (fn. 3)

On 24 May 1224, Thomas de Bauelingham and Mabel his wife, eldest daughter and co-heir of Stephen de Turnham, levied a fine, and for 35 marks of silver gave to the Bishop and church of Salisbury, the bishop holding the hundred, all their rights in the hundred of Godalming, and in the manor of Godalming, saving to Thomas and Mabel the tenement which they held in Artington and Catteshull. (fn. 4)

It does not appear therefore that the bishop obtained full possession of the hundred till the reign of Henry III, and subsequently Witley, in the hundred, remained a royal manor of ancient demesne, having no connexion with the courts of the hundred, except in suits for the recovery of land and debts; neither is Puttenham represented in the courts.

The hundred remained in the hands of the bishop till 1541. In that year it was conveyed, under an Act of Parliament, to Thomas Paston, and by him to the Crown, 20 April 1542. (fn. 5) Elizabeth granted the manor and hundred, 3 November 1601, to Sir George More of Loseley for £1,341 8s. 2¾d. (fn. 6)

The lordship of the hundred continued in the family of More and More-Molyneux of Loseley till 1871, when it was conveyed with the manor to Mr. James Stewart Hodgson. The lordship of the hundred was by this time meaningless. The courts of the hundred had become at an early period indistinguishable from those of the manor. There are at Loseley a large number of Hundred Court Rolls, views of frankpledge, and views of frankpledge on the rectory manor, from the time of Edward III downwards. Courts were held at three weeks' intervals for 'playnts and accions,' dealing with tenants of all the manors in the hundred except the royal manors of Witley and Puttenham. Two 'lawdays,' or leets, were held at Hocktide and Michaelmas, except for the town of Godalming, for which a 'lawday' was held on St. Matthew's Day; this was called Enton lawday. These included in their business the view of frankpledge, the Visus Personatus, election of tithing-men, of ale-taster, a reeve (prepositus) for Godalming by the customary tenants, and of a bedell, and the receiving of the burgage rents of Haslemere. There were also yearly leets at Catteshull, Hambledon, Loseley, Artington, Farncombe, and Compton. The hundred and three-weekly courts and Enton court were held, latterly at least, in the old town hall of Godalming, where the market house now stands. (fn. 7) Fines levied in the hundred court were accounted for to the More-Molyneux family as lords of the hundred up to at least 1790. (fn. 8)


Index Map to the Hundred of Godalming

Footnotes

1 Including Littleton and Loseley, i.e. that part of the parish of St. Nicholas, Guildford, which lay outside the borough boundaries as they were in 1831. For the sake of convenience the account of the whole parish has been included in the hundred of Godalming. The extent of the hundred is taken from Pop. Ret. 1831, p. 632.
2 Rot. de Oblat. et Fin. (Rec. Com.), 339. Compare the accounts of Artington and Godalming.
3 Rot. Lit. Claus. (Rec. Com.), i, 455.
4 Lib. Evident. B. no. 363, Salisbury.
5 Aug. Off. Hen. VIII, Box C, 12.
6 The original grant is at Loseley. It is copied by Symmes (Town Clerk of Guildford, temp. Chas. II), B.M. Add. MS. 6167. It contains a grant of the 'bondmen, bondwomen, villeins, and their sequele,' but this is probably only a customary form and does not mean that there were any then.
7 Rolls at Loseley, passim, and Misc. Bks. Exch. L.T.R. vol. 169; Godalming Hundred, 1–3 Edw. VI.
8 Accts. at Loseley.