In 1592-3 two women
were returned as recusants in Cassington; one of
them, Mary Boone, remained in the parish until
1624, and other members of that family were
returned as recusants until 1635. The Catholic
Reynolds family held an estate, later Reynolds
farm, in the parish from c. 1612, but were not
returned as recusants until 1619. William
Reynolds and his wife Elizabeth were among the
six recusants in the parish in 1624. (fn. 76) William
and Edmund Reynolds refused the Protestation
oath in 1641. In 1676 there were four papists,
among them, presumably, Christopher
Reynolds, who with two others was returned as
a recusant in 1682 and 1685. (fn. 77) Although he sold
most of his land in 1700, Edmund Reynolds the
younger remained in the parish until 1723 or
later, possibly as undertenant of the rectory, and
he and other members of the family were among
the two or three recusants reported in Cassington in the early 18th century. (fn. 78) In 1738, however, the three or four papists in the parish were
'of the lowest rank', and in 1759 and 1768 the
only papist was an ageing labourer. (fn. 79) The remains of a chapel at Reynolds Farm apparently
survived until the early 20th century. (fn. 80)
Six dissenters, at least three of them Anabaptists, were reported in Cassington in the 1680s, (fn. 81)
but there is no further record of protestant
nonconformity in the parish until 1820 when the
vicar reported one Baptist family, who had left
by 1823. (fn. 82) In the 1830s Cassington people attended an 'Anabaptist' meeting house in Yarnton licensed by H. B. Bulteel, (fn. 83) and in 1829 J.
Hinton, presumably the minister of the Baptist
chapel in St. Clement's, Oxford, signed the
application for a meeting house licence in Cassington, but there is no further evidence of
Baptist activity there. Between 1827 and 1843 at
least eight other applications for meeting houses
were made, two of them certainly, and the rest
probably, by Wesleyans whose numbers in that
period fluctuated between one and twelve. (fn. 84) In
1854 the vicar reported that itinerant preachers
often visited cottages in the parish and that there
might be as many as 50 dissenters, and in 1872
over half the population was said to attend three dissenting meetings. (fn. 85) Ranters or Primitive
Methodists were reported in 1866 and built a
chapel in 1870. (fn. 86) It had closed by 1982.
Recusant Roll, 1592-3, (Cath. Rec. Soc. xviii), 259; H. E.
Salter, 'Oxon. Recusants', O.A.S. Rep. (1924), 22, 29, 31,
33, 35, 40, 42, 54.
Protestation Returns, 76-7; Compton Census, ed. Whiteman, 423; Bp. Fell and Nonconf. 66-7.
Par. Colln. 76; W.O. Hassall, 'Papists in Oxon.' Oxoniensia, xii. 80; O.R.O., Cal. Q.S. Rolls, ix, ff. 422v.-476v.,
Secker's Visit. 34; O.R.O., MSS. Oxf. Dioc. d 555,
f. 97v.; d 558, f. 105v.
||Stapleton, Cath. Miss. 194; inf. from Prof. J. M. Wallace-Hadrill, Reynolds Farm, Cassington.
Bp. Fell and Nonconf. 66; O.R.O., MS. Oxf. Dioc. d 708,
||O.R.O., MSS. Oxf. Dioc. d 578, f. 47v.; d 580, f. 53v.
||Bodl. MS. Top. Oxon. b 18, f. 90; cf. V.C.H. Oxon. iv.
255; below, Yarnton, Nonconf.
||O.R.O., MSS. Oxf. Dioc. c 645, ff. 54, 82, 105, 154,
175; c 646, ff. 143, 192; ibid. MS. d.d. Oxf. Methodist
Wilb. Visit. 28; O.R.O., MS. Oxf. Dioc. c 338, f. 86v.
||O.R.O., MS. Oxf. Dioc. c 332, f. 108; datestone on bldg.