The church of ST. JOHN BAPTIST consists of a chancel 29 ft. by
16 ft. 6 in., with vestry and organ
chamber on the north, north chapel 16 ft. by 14 ft.,
south chapel 28 ft. 6 in. by 22 ft., nave, including
the central tower, 85 ft. in length by 18 ft. at the
east and 17 ft. 6 in. at the west, central tower dividing
the nave into two portions 14 ft. 6 in. by 13 ft. 6 in.,
north aisle 14 ft. 9 in. wide, south aisle 21 ft. wide,
with a modern addition at the south-east and a south
porch. These measurements are all internal.
The earliest part of the present church is the
short section of wall on the north side of the chancel
containing a lancet window, parts of the east wall,
and a portion of the walling joining the eastern
respond on the south side. These represent the
chancel of a church of about 1120, some 16½ ft. wide.
Further remains of this church are to be found west
of the central tower, where two bays of an arcade
and a west wall are of a slightly later date.
The chancel arch, though almost entirely rebuilt,
represents the eastern arch of the 12th-century central
tower, and, from the spacing of the remaining original
bays at the west end, the early nave must have been
five bays long. The existence of a transept with
eastern chapels is indicated by the remains of 12th-century arches to the north and south of the present
chancel arch, and the pilaster buttresses at the west end
of the present north aisle prove that the 12th-century
aisle was about 11½ ft. wide. The early church was
thus a large cruciform building, about 117 ft. long,
with north and south aisles, transepts with eastern
chapels, and central tower. The work was begun at
the east end, but took long to complete, and the west
door would hardly have been finished before 1200.
In the 14th century the south aisle was widened,
its present width of about 21 ft. being probably the
depth of the old transept then removed. It is not
unlikely that the aisle was then carried on to the east
end of the chancel by the insertion of two bays of
arcading. At the end of the 14th or early in the
15th century the central tower was removed. It
may possibly have fallen at that time and caused the
partial ruin of the nave. Only the eastern arch of
the old tower was suffered to remain, and, starting
from this point, two bays of nave arcading were
erected with the evident intention of subsequently
building a west tower.
At the same time the north aisle was widened to
its present size, 14¾ ft., and the north transept
removed. Towards the end of the century the
original idea of a western tower was abandoned and
the present structure built half-way down the nave,
leaving two bays only standing of the original 12th-century arcade, to the west of it.
A chapel dedicated to St. Katherine was next
formed by extending the north aisle eastward to the
wall of a vestry which was in existence on the site
of the present one. A large window was inserted
and an elaborate stair was built, in the north wall, to
the rood-loft, which extended across the nave and
Plan of Halesowen Church
The last important piece of work was the addition,
after 1500, of a clearstory and a new roof to the
nave, the line of the earlier roof being still visible on
the tower wall. In modern times the church has
been considerably restored and repaired, the north
vestry rebuilt and a second aisle added on the south
The east window of the chancel is modern, of four
lights, in 14th-century style. Above the window is
the line of a round arch from wall to wall, which,
together with the difference between the upper and
lower masonry in the side walls of the chancel, proves
the existence of a 12th-century barrel vault over the
chancel. In the gable is a small circular light in a
square reveal, considerably repaired.
In the north wall are three shallow niches 5 ft.
high, probably lockers, and above is an early 12th-century window with deeply splayed reveal. The
head and rear arch are round, the latter showing
traces of painting on the plaster. Beyond this window
is a break in the masonry, and the small rubble work
on the upper wall, which was above the vaulting,
here changes to later ashlar. West of the modern
vestry is the organ chamber opening from the chancel
by a modern arch.
On the south side of the chancel is an arcade of
two bays with pointed arches, probably of 14th-century date, of two chamfered orders resting on
octagonal piers with capitals but no bases. The
chancel arch has been greatly altered, and only
portions of it appear to be the actual 12th-century
The first two bays on each side of the nave are of
15th-century date with two-centred arches of two
orders. Above is a clearstory with three similar
windows on each side, of two lights, under square
The tower arches are of the same type as the nave
arcade, but later, and have small capitals resembling a
string-course which runs round the responds.
On the north side of the north-east pier of the tower
is a door leading to the vice, and above it is a piece of
old bell framing with the churchwardens' names for
1774. There is also an achievement of the royal
arms. West of the tower are two bays of arcading
of about 1150. Above the western respond on the
north side is a round-headed opening, with traces of
a corresponding one on the south side, these leading
originally to a 12th-century gallery across the west
end, which was approached by a stair in the south-west angle, now hidden. The west wall has three
offsets, and is pierced by a large single lancet, below
which is the west door with a round head of two zigzag orders. Its jambs are shafted and have moulded
abaci and scalloped capitals.
The east wall of the north aisle has been much
repaired, but shows the join where it met the early
vestry. The first north window is later and more
elaborate than the rest, and is of four lights with a
transom and late 15th-century tracery (most of which
has been renewed) and a crocketed label. The three
remaining windows in the north wall date from the
15th century, with a blocked north door between the
second and third. The west window of the aisle has
four lights. The tracery of these windows is for the
most part modern, but the jambs are old.
Halesowen Church: West End of the Nave showing 12th-century Arcade
On the north side of the chancel arch is some
broken masonry connected with the original transept
and a later image bracket.
In the south aisle the east wall and window have
been rebuilt in modern times. On the south side of
the chancel arch is the offset of the original south
transept, and at the point where the respond of the
new 15th-century arcade was built against the chancel
arch there is a straight joint. Breaks are also visible
where the tower was built up to this arcade and
where it meets the 12th-century work to the west.
The second south aisle, with its arcade of four bays,
was built in 1875. At the west end of this aisle is a
porch with south door opening into the inner aisle.
The doorway, which is reset 12th-century work, has a
semicircular head, and is of three orders—one plain,
one zigzag and one moulded—carried on double
shafted jambs. Inserted in the porch walls are
corbels with grotesque heads and beasts. On each
side are small trefoiled lights. The external doorway
is of 13th-century date. West of the door are two
two-light windows with unusually wide splays and
modern tracery. The west wall has a four-light
window, and north of it a round-headed rebated recess
in the wall.
The lofty tower shows externally three stages above
the roofs. The lowest has on the north and south a
three-light window of the 15th century. The second
stage has square-headed two-light windows and a
The belfry windows have two lights with 15th-century tracery and transoms with sub-cusping. The
embattled parapet is modern.
The spire has three tiers of windows, all with
foliated finials above.
On the exterior the east chancel wall has been
much patched, but parts of the east window seem to
be old. Above it is a much restored 12th-century
wall arcade of eight bays, consisting of round inter
lacing arches with cushion capitals, shafts and bases.
The north aisle has a gargoyle at the north-east
angle; the rood-loft stair is carried on corbels showing externally, and has a small trefoiled light with a
At the western end of the nave on each side of
the doorway are 12th-century pilaster buttresses and
a plinth. On the western end of the north aisle is a
12th-century buttress, which is one of those at the
north-west angle of the original church.
The interesting 12th-century font standing under
the tower has a rounded bowl with a circular central
shaft and four angle shafts with scalloped capitals.
Round the bowl are four figures, much worn, which
seem to represent our Lady, a king, a queen, and a
priest holding a book, with interlaced strapwork
between the figures. The roofs and furniture of the
church are all modern. Among the monuments are
a brass with the remains of an effigy to Rebekah wife
of Thomas Littleton, rector, who died in 1669, an
urn inscribed to the poet William Shenstone, who
died in 1763, and a monument to Major Halliday
(1794), by G. Banks, R.A.
There is a ring of eight bells: the first and sixth by
John Warner of London, 1864, the second by Thomas
Lester of London, 1753; the rest were cast by
Joseph Smith of Edgbaston in 1707. On the fifth is
'Be it known to all, that doth me see that Ios. Smith
in Edgbaston made all wee'; on the tenor: 'When
sound of bell doth pearce your eare come to the
church, God's Word to heare, my mournful sound
doth warning give that here men cannot allwayes live.'
The plate consists of two chalices inscribed with
the names of Francis Pierci, rector, and the churchwardens, 1684, and made two years previously, one
large ancient flat paten (unmarked, but seems to be
silver), a small flat paten of 1799, a modern silver
flagon and a silver almsdish of 1730.
The registers before 1812 are as follows: (i) all
entries 1559 to 1620, but leaves are missing from
1601 to 1609 and elsewhere; (ii) 1620 to 1643,
these two volumes having been re-bound (from
1643 to 1653 there is apparently a Civil War gap);
(iii) baptisms 1661 to 1664, births 1653 to 1660,
and burials and marriages 1653 to 1664; (iv) all
entries 1665 to 1686; (v) 1687 to 1699; (vi)
1700 to 1716; (vii) 1717 to 1736; (viii) baptisms
and burials 1736 to 1761 and marriages 1736 to
1754; (ix) marriages 1754 to 1762; (x) baptisms
and burials 1761 to 1812; (xi) marriages 1762 to
1770; (xii) marriages 1770 to 1772; (xiii) marriages
1772 to 1783; (xiv) marriages 1783 to 1803;
(xv) marriages 1804 to 1812.
The chapel of ST. KENELM lies in a picturesque
hollow on the north-east slope of the Clent Hills.
The stream which runs in the hollow below the
church is fed by a spring which, according to tradition, rose on the spot where the body of Kenelm,
murdered in 819, was found. A chamber, now
filled with rubbish, below the east end of the chapel
represents the shrine over the spring, which was much
frequented by pilgrims. (fn. 1) The chapel consists of a
continuous chancel and nave 46 ft. by 19 ft. wide,
a space under the west tower, which projects over
the nave, 18 ft. by 14 ft. wide, and a wooden south
porch. These measurements are all internal.
The present north and south walls and the base of
the tower, all built of red sandstone, are of 12th-century date. The east wall of the chancel was
rebuilt in the 14th century, and the beautiful tower
was added in the 15th century, a greenish sandstone
The interior of the chapel is uninteresting, being
mostly modern. The walls are plastered and there are
a modern roof and a large west gallery. On the
south wall are the remains of rood screen corbels.
Externally the angles and gable of the east wall
have 15th-century pinnacles. The three-light east
window is modern and below it is an arched recess or
doorway, which has had a wooden pentice over it.
The entrance, which is now blocked, seems to have
led to the well shrine.
In the north wall the first window is a 14th-century lancet, and west of it is the jamb of a 12th-century light. Further west is a 12th-century
pilaster buttress, the lower part being cut away for a
14th-century segmental archway, a feature repeated
in the south wall. These were probably provided with
steps leading down to the well under the chancel.
Of the two remaining windows on this side, the
first, of two lights with a square head, is late 13th-century work, the second is modern. Two early
buttresses remain, in one of which is a blocked 12th-century window, the other being a clasping buttress
at the north-west angle. The plain 14th-century
door is built within an earlier door of the 12th
century. The tower wall sets back 1¼ ft. from the
nave. The lower part of the tower, which is set
astride of the west wall of the nave, is 12th-century
work and has a plinth with wide flat angle buttress
on the north-west. Over this is a 15th-century
buttress with a modern pinnacle and one of the
remarkable winged gargoyles which are repeated on
the kneelers, angle buttresses, and window label at
the west end.
Inside the west face of the tower is a large arched
recess inclosing the modern west window, and a
blocked round-headed door, which, though restored,
represents the early west doorway. Above this the
tower rises in two stages with diagonal buttresses.
The lower stage has a large gargoyle on each buttress
and the upper has a small belfry window in each face
with rich crocketed canopy. Niches of similar type
flank the belfry lights and are repeated on the
buttresses. The embattled parapet has modern angle
pinnacles and a line of trefoiled panelling below.
The angle buttresses are terminated by smaller gargoyles of the type already noticed. Several of these
gargoyles appear to represent butterflies.
The light but rich tower and the quaintly designed
west end are very effective.
With the exception of a two-light 14th-century
opening at the east end, all the windows in the south
wall are modern restorations. Built into the wall is
a small 12th-century figure of a priest in chasuble,
stole and alb, a book in the left hand, and the right
raised in benediction.
The 12th-century south door has a carved tympanum representing our Lord in glory with angels on
each side. The arch has two orders, the outer with
rays and fillets, the inner with beak heads. The side
shafts appear to have been re-dressed. The porch is a
15th-century structure, with a four-centred outer arch
of wood and a projecting cornice above, with plaster
work and an embattled beam.
There is one bell, by Joseph Smith of Edgbaston,
The plate includes a curious cup of hammered
silver with the hall mark of 1592, a silver paten with
the hall mark of 1750, and an alms basin of repoussé
work, possibly made in the early years of the 18th
century. The flagon is plated.
The registers before 1812 are as follows: (i) baptisms and burials 1736 to 1783; (ii) baptisms 1783
to 1819. The second book contains also baptisms
and burials of Frankley, 1813 to 1819.
A church and two priests at
Halesowen are mentioned in the
Domesday Survey. (fn. 2) Possibly the
second priest served the chapel of St. Kenelm, which
is assumed to have been in existence at that time.
The advowson belonged to the lord of the manor, and,
while it was in the hands of David son of Owen, he,
with the consent of Emma his wife, gave it to the
Abbot of Pershore, who, however, restored it to
King John in 1199. (fn. 3) It was included in the foundation charter of Halesowen Abbey in 1214. (fn. 4) The
church seems to have been appropriated to the abbey
about 1270, a vicarage being ordained in that year, (fn. 5)
but the appropriation did not receive papal sanction
until 1281. (fn. 6) The advowson belonged to the abbey
until the Dissolution, (fn. 7) and was granted in 1538,
with the rectory, to Sir John Dudley. (fn. 8) It has since
followed the same descent as the manor, (fn. 9) Viscount
Cobham being the present patron.
In 1291 and 1427 the church was taxed at
£26 13s. 4d., (fn. 10) and in 1535 the rectory was valued
at £8 2s. 8d. (fn. 11)
In January 1864 a rearrangement of the tithes was
made between Lord Lyttelton, the lay impropriator,
and the incumbents of the three parishes of Halesowen, Quinton and St. Kenelm's. (fn. 12) Great tithes
to the value of about £100 a year were conveyed to
the clergy, Lord Lyttelton's estates being rendered
tithe free. (fn. 13) Halesowen was constituted a rectory in
1866. (fn. 14)
The chapel of St. Kenelm in Romsley is not mentioned in the Domesday Survey, but may possibly have
been served by one of the two priests at Halesowen. (fn. 15)
In 1448 an indulgence was granted for the repair of
the chapel, (fn. 16) and in 1473 the abbot and convent
obtained licence to acquire lands worth £10 yearly
for the maintenance of a chaplain. (fn. 17) The oblations
offered at the chapel were valued at £10 in 1535. (fn. 18)
The chapel was granted with Halesowen to Sir John
Dudley, (fn. 19) the advowson belonging to the lords of
Halesowen until 1866. (fn. 20) John Lyttelton and his
successors held it as a free chapel in no way dependent on the church of Halesowen, (fn. 21) and his chaplains received no institution from the bishop. The
stipend of the curate was formerly only £5, but in
1675 Sir Henry Lyttelton settled upon the curate
and his successors, in lieu of this stipend, all the great
tithes of Romsley. (fn. 22)
In 1841 St. Kenelm's was formed into a separate
ecclesiastical parish, (fn. 23) and in 1863 the greater part of
the township of Hunnington was added to it. (fn. 24) In
the following year, as mentioned above, part of the
tithes of Halesowen were assigned to St. Kenelm's, (fn. 25)
and in 1866 the parish was constituted a rectory. (fn. 26)
It subsequently became known as the parish of
Romsley. The rectory is now in the gift of the
rector of Halesowen.
As mentioned above, (fn. 27) the chapel of Cradley seems
to have disappeared shortly after the Dissolution.
The ecclesiastical parish of Cradley was formed in
1841. (fn. 28) The present church of St. Peter was built
by Thomas Best, clerk, and others in 1789, and was
acquired from them in 1798, when the chapel
was consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester. The
patronage was secured to Thomas Best for three
turns, and was then to pass to the Lytteltons. (fn. 29) The
living is now a vicarage in the gift of the rector of
Halesowen. The register begins in 1785.
A chapel at Oldbury was built in 1529 because
during the winter and in the time of floods it was
impossible for the inhabitants of Oldbury to attend
the parish church. (fn. 30) It seems to have stood on copyhold land, since in 1574 William Feldon alias Carpenter made an agreement with Arthur Robsart and
others that he would make no claim under any copy
of court roll or other writing to the chapel croft
except 'to hear God's service.' (fn. 31) The advowson
was claimed by the patron of Halesowen, Oldbury
being a chapelry of Halesowen, (fn. 32) but the presentations were probably irregularly made, and, according
to Nash, the chapel came into the hands of Dissenters
after the Revolution. The vicar of Halesowen
reported in 1705 that the chapel of Oldbury was
unendowed, and then served by nonconforming
ministers, (fn. 33) but it was later taken over by Bishop
Lloyd (1699–1717), who consecrated the chapel and
cemetery. (fn. 34) The patronage was vested in the vicar
of Halesowen in 1781, (fn. 35) but was said to have been
in the Crown in 1808 and 1833. (fn. 36)
When the common of Oldbury was inclosed in
1829 it was arranged that half the proceeds of the
sale of the inclosed lands should be assigned to building a new church at Oldbury, as the existing chapel
was quite inadequat owing to the increasing population. (fn. 37) A new church, Christ Church, was built in
1841, and the patronage was vested in the vicars,
afterwards the rectors, of Halesowen. (fn. 38) When the
new diocese of Birmingham was formed in 1905
Oldbury was transferred to it, and the patronage
vested in the bishop.
Oldbury was formed into a separate ecclesiastical
parish in 1841, (fn. 39) and Langley was separated from it
in 1846 and formed, with part of Halesowen, into an
ecclesiastical parish. (fn. 40) The church of Holy Trinity,
Langley, which was built in 1852, was formerly the
parish church, but is now a chapel of ease to the
church of St. Michael and All Angels erected in
1890–1. The living is a vicarage in the gift of the
Crown and the bishop alternately. At Churchbridge
is the chapel of ease of the Good Shepherd, built
A second ecclesiastical parish, that of Round's
Green, was formed from Oldbury in 1905 with its
church of St. James, built in 1892. The living is
an incumbency in the gift of the vicar of Langley. (fn. 41)
The ecclesiastical parish of Quinton was formed
in 1841, (fn. 42) and Christ Church was built in that year.
It, like St. Kenelm's, became a rectory in 1866, (fn. 43)
having had a portion of the tithes of Halesowen
assigned to it in 1864. (fn. 44) Parts of Hill and Lapal
were transferred to it from Halesowen in 1863. (fn. 45)
The rectory is now in the gift of the Bishop of
Birmingham. The parish includes Warley Salop
and Warley Wigorn, which in 1884 were united
under the name of Warley. A new ecclesiastical
district of St. Hilda, Warley Woods, was formed in
1906 (fn. 46) and is served by a curate in charge. Blackheath was formed out of Quinton, Halesowen and
Rowley Regis in 1869, (fn. 47) and is a vicarage in the
gift of the Bishop of Worcester. The church of
St. Paul was built in the same year.
The advowson and rectory of the church of
Lutley were included in the grant of Halesowen
Abbey to Sir John Dudley in 1538. (fn. 48) The advowson
and rectory are mentioned again in 1590–1, (fn. 49) but
from that time they disappear.
In 1339 the bishop gave licence to a certain John
de Honesworth to have divine service celebrated in
his house of 'Walbrok' in the parish of Halesowen. (fn. 50)
In 1309 William Fokerham, lord of Warley
Wigorn, gave his son Richard the chantry of Brendhall, belonging to the chapel of St. Katherine the
Virgin. (fn. 51) In a rental of Halesowen Abbey of
1499–1500 a sum of 43s. 4d. was received from
Margery Westwood for Warley Grange next the
chapel of St. Michael. (fn. 52) This seems to indicate a
second chapel at Warley. It is perhaps to be
identified with the church of Warley, of which the
advowson and rectory were included in the grant of
Halesowen Abbey to Sir John Dudley in 1538. (fn. 53)
No further mention of it has been found.
Nash (fn. 54) gives some interesting extracts from the
churchwardens' books of Halesowen. (fn. 55) These show
that there was a chancel dedicated in honour of St.
Katherine and an image of that saint and lights
dedicated in honour of St. Katherine and St. Stephen.
In 1469 William Pepwale granted land at
Frankley and at Willingwick to trustees to hold for
his wife Agnes while she lived and after her death for
a chantry in the church of Halesowen. (fn. 56)
There is a Congregational chapel, built in 1807,
and Baptist, Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels
in Halesowen, Langley, Cradley, Romsley and Oldbury, Unitarian chapels at Cradley and Oldbury, and
United Methodist chapels at Blackheath, Cradley and
Oldbury. A Roman Catholic church dedicated to
St. Francis Xavier was built at Oldbury in 1865.
The following charities are regulated by a scheme of the Charity
Commissioners 27 November 1874,
1. William Wight's, founded by deed 10 October
1614, consisting of a rent-charge of £1 for the poor,
issuing out of a house in Cornbow Street.
2. The same donor, as recorded on a benefaction
table, gave an annuity of £2 12s. for the poor and
an annuity of £1 6s. 8d. for the minister for preaching
sermons on the four quarter days. These payments
are made out of the rent of 7 acres of land, known as
the World's End, which is in the possession of the
parish and is let at £20 a year, of which £3 13s. 4d.
is applied towards the church expenses, £1 6s. 8d.
to the minister, and the balance to the sick and
3. Richard Dickins, will 1640, consisting of an
annuity of 6s. 8d. for church expenses and of 10s. for
the relief of the poor, issuing out of a house near
4. John Carpenter's, will 1726, consisting of a
rent-charge of 20s. for twenty of the poorest house-keepers, on 2 February yearly, issuing out of a house
in the High Street.
In 1789 Richard Green, by his will, gave an
annuity of 52s. issuing out of land at Belle Vue,
Halesowen, to be distributed in bread to the poor of
the Hill and Lapal townships.
The Lea Charities: In 1701 William Lea, by
will, devised land for charitable purposes. The
endowment consists of about 26 acres of land at
Frankley, let at £20 8s. a year, and £542 9s. 8d.
consols, with the official trustees, producing £13 11s.
In 1704 Thomas Lea, by will, devised a rentcharge of £4 issuing out of houses in Cornbow
These charities are regulated by a scheme of the
Charity Commissioners 22 April 1910, whereby a
moiety of the income is made applicable for the
benefit of the poor of the town and borough, and the
other moiety for the poor of Romsley Quarter, an
annual sum of £2 out of each moiety to be applied
in the distribution of clothes, &c., or medical aid in
sickness, and the residue for the benefit of poor old
men and women in clothing.
In 1906 Felix Smith, by his will, proved 12 May,
bequeathed £10, the income to be applied in the
upkeep of the parish churchyard. The legacy was
invested in £11 17s. 4d. consols, with the official
trustees, producing 5s. 8d. yearly.
In 1879 George Grainger, by will, proved
6 January, bequeathed £400, the income to be paid
to the minister of the Congregational Chapel. The
legacy was secured by a mortgage at 4½ per cent.,
producing £17 a year.
The same testator bequeathed £100 for the poor
in warm garments on New Year's Day. It was
represented by £114 13s. on mortgage at 4½ per
cent., producing £5 13s. 2d. yearly.
Cradley: The following gifts were mentioned on
the table of benefactions in the chapel at Cradley,
John Sparry, will, 1659, the interest of £4 for the
Nicholas Holmer, will, 1673, the interest of 20s.
to be given to the poor;
Thomas Cox, will, 1695, the yearly profits of £10
to be given to the poor.
The legacies were paid to the parish officers and
the income given on St. Thomas's Day to poor widows.
In 1705 John Mansell, by his will, devised an
annuity of 40s. out of his lands and houses within the
manor of Cradley to be distributed to forty poor
householders in sums of 1s. each. The distribution
takes place at Christmas time.
In 1806 John Townshend, by his will, proved at
London, 11 September, bequeathed £70 consols, the
annual dividends, amounting to £1 15s., to be applied
towards the support of the National school, which was
conveyed by deed, 9 October 1855.
In 1898 Charles Cockrane, by will, proved 5 July,
bequeathed £2,000 (free of duty), the income to be
applied for the benefit of the Unitarian Chapel at
The Wesleyan Chapel and trust property, comprised
in deeds, 1826, 1839 and 1860, was by order of the
Charity Commissioners, 4 August 1869, vested in
trustees thereby appointed on trusts of 'The Wesleyan
Chapel Model Deed.'
Langley: In 1875 Samuel Clifton, by his will,
proved at Lichfield, 11 November, bequeathed £100,
represented by £106 7s. 8d. consols, with the official
trustees, the annual dividends, amounting to £2 13s.,
to be applied towards the maintenance of such
schools at Langley as the trustees should think proper.
The income is applied to the Church schools.
The official trustees also hold £446 6s. 1d. consols,
producing £11 3s. yearly, purchased with the proceeds
of sale of part of the school site and building, and
known as the Chance Scholarship Fund, founded by
deed poll, 26 December 1851.
By schemes of the Board of Education, 1904 and
1910, the net income is to be applied in awarding
secondary school and technical scholarships to
children of persons in the employ of Messrs. Chance
& Hunt, Limited, but failing suitable candidates
therefrom, to children in the ecclesiastical parish of
St. Michael and All Angels.
In 1902 Walter Showell, by will, proved at
London, 3 January, bequeathed £2,000, the income
to be paid to a Church of England clergyman for
services in St. James's Church, Round's Green.
The legacy—less duty—is represented by £1,800
on mortgage of houses and land in Coventry Road,
Aston-juxta-Birmingham, at 4 per cent., producing
£72 a year.
Township of Oldbury: The Oldbury charity
(including the benefaction of John Price, bequeathed
by will, dated 11 February 1726) is regulated by
a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, 28 February
By the scheme the endowments were divided into
(a) Site of schoolhouse and buildings thereon,
house adjoining the Unitarian meeting-house, and the
house and garden adjoining the schoolhouse, the
whole producing £35 a year.
(b) A building estate, containing 5 acres in the
centre of the town, nearly all built upon, gross yearly
income £241 2s. 2d. A strip of land fronting Halesowen Street and Low Town, let on two building
leases, yearly income £8 5s. 9d., and 1 r. 20 p.,
part of Furnace Field, let at 10s. a year, and the
following sums of stock, held by the official trustees,
namely, £966 13s. 4d. Birmingham 3 per cent.
stock, £750 Birmingham Canal stock, £50 debenture stock of the Sharpness Docks and Gloucester
and Birmingham Canal Company, and £257 1s. 5d.
consols, producing in dividends £67 8s. yearly.
At the date of the scheme there was also a sum
of £102 11s. 3d. consols, accumulating with the
official trustees and £1,000 on deposit at Lloyds
(c) Several pieces of land, containing 5 a. 2 r.,
fronting the road leading from Oldbury to Titford,
gross yearly income £32 2s. 5d., and £250 Birmingham Corporation 3½ per cent. stock and £1,650
Birmingham Canal stock, held by the official trustees,
producing in annual dividends £74 15s.
The scheme further provides that the endowments
particularized under division (a) be held upon the
trusts contained in an indenture of bargain and sale,
dated 25 February 1784, that is to say for educational purposes;
That those under (b) be held upon the trusts contained in an instrument of surrender, 6 April 1659,
that is to say in the discretion of the trustees for
educational purposes, the said educational endowments to be called 'The Oldbury Educational
That those under (c) be held upon trust for the
support of the ministry of the meeting-house at
Oldbury held upon the trusts of indentures of lease
and release, dated respectively 25 and 26 March
Endowment for minister of congregation of
Protestant Dissenters comprised in deed, 27 September
1817, consisted of land with buildings thereon, subsequently occupied as the Oldbury Institute, exchanged in 1888 for another piece of land adjoining,
and a sum of £100 paid by way of equality of
exchange, and invested in £103 7s. 2d. consols, with
the official trustees, producing £2 11s. 8d. yearly.
The Primitive Methodist Chapel, comprised in
indentures of 18 and 19 July 1836, was by a scheme
of the Charity Commissioners, 20 October 1905,
settled upon the trusts of 'The Primitive Methodist
Chapel Model Deed.'
In 1801 Thomas Newby, by deed, gave 2 a. 2 r. or
thereabouts in Oldbury, let at £42 a year, one moiety
thereof to be distributed among the poor of Rowley
Regis, Staffordshire, and the other moiety among the
poor of Oldbury. It is applied in gifts of money
averaging 5s. each.
In 1869 Mary Palmer, by her will, proved at
Exeter, 9 December, left a legacy, now represented
by £106 19s. 8d. consols, with the official trustees,
the annual dividends, amounting to £2 13s. 4d., to
be applied in the distribution of Bibles and New
Testaments about Christmas to such persons as the
vicar should think proper.
In 1875 Samuel Clifton, by his will proved
11 November, bequeathed £100, the interest to be
paid to the Christ Church National schools, Oldbury.
The township is possessed of 4 a. 1 r. 17 p. for
public walks or pleasure grounds, acquired by deed
25 November 1892, and another piece of land containing 7,924 square yards, by deed, 10 November
Romsley: The charity founded in 1684 by
William Smith is regulated by a scheme of the
Charity Commissioners 10 November 1868. The
trust property consists of 2 a. 3 r. at Romsley, let at
£7 10s. a year, a rent-charge of £5 issuing out of
Dove House Farm, and £10 rent from the master's
house. The net income—subject to the payment
of 20s. to the poor—is applied for educational purposes. (fn. 57)
In 1883 Thomas Jenks, by his will proved at
Worcester 20 February, bequeathed £100, which
has been invested in £99 10s. consols, with the
official trustees; the annual dividend, amounting to
£2 9s. 8d., is applied in the distribution of bread and
clothing to the poor on St. Thomas's Day.
Warley Wigorn: The charities known as Moore's
Free School, founded by will, 1724, and Richard
Powell's, founded by codicil to will proved at
Worcester 20 June 1877, are regulated by a scheme
of the Charity Commissioners 22 January 1901.
The trust fund consists of £1,563 1s. 1d. consols,
with the official trustees, of which £994 1s. 7d. stock
represents the proceeds of sale of site and school
buildings thereon situated at Hill Top, Warley, and
£348 5s. 8d. stock represents Richard Powell's
legacy, and the balance accumulated income.
The scheme directs that the annual dividends,
amounting to £39 1s. 6d., should be applied in
prizes to children at a public elementary school, and
in exhibitions not exceeding £10, tenable at any
institution of education higher than elementary.
In 1801 Thomas Newby, by deed, gave an annuity
of £4, one moiety thereof to be distributed to the
poor on 26 December and 24 June annually, and the
remaining moiety towards the support of a Sunday