—The municipal charities, formerly under the
administration of the corporation,
were by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners
confirmed, reorganized and consolidated under the
titles hereafter mentioned by an Act of Parliament. (fn. 1)
1. The consolidated general almshouse charities or
the municipal (general) charities, which are regulated
by the said Act and by a scheme of 27 August 1888,
as varied by a further scheme of 28 February 1899,
include the following charities:—
The charity of John Leche, otherwise A'Larder,
founded in 1477 (formerly almshouses) and subsidiary
endowments. The trust properties now consist of
buildings known as John A'Larder's Buildings, producing £220 yearly, two messuages in the Market
Place, a messuage in London Street and the 'Brewers'
Arms' in Bridge Street, producing with certain small
payments about £212 yearly, and £51 1s. 6d. 2½ per
cent. annuities. Also £1,400 consols derived under
the will of Thomas Cooke, proved in the P.C.C. 1811,
which formed part of a sum of £6,177 11s. 11d.
consols transferred to the official trustees in pursuance
of the said Act as a general fund.
Bernard Harrison's charity, founded by will proved
in the P.C.C. 1618, and subsidiary endowments.
The trust properties now consist of eight tenements
in Southampton Street (formerly almshouses), let to
weekly tenants, producing £53 15s. 6d. yearly,
3 acres in Thatcham let at £10 a year, and a rent-charge of 4s. a year issuing out of No. 2 Butter Market
and £239 9s. 8d. consols.
Also £112 8s. 8d. consols, representing a gift in
1751 by Mrs. Wimbleton.
Also £1,400 consols derived under the will of the
above-mentioned Thomas Cooke.
Also £2,075 4s. 6d. consols, representing two
thirds of a legacy bequeathed by codicil to will of
Robert Hanson, proved in the P.C.C. 1821.
The several sums of stock also formed part of the
general fund above referred to.
These almshouses appear to be also entitled to a
moiety of an annual rent-charge of £4 purchased in
the year 1643 with money given by Christian Smith,
issuing out of land at Peasemore, and a yearly rent-charge of £1, issuing out of the Bear Inn, Reading,
given by the will of Thomas Harrison in 1696.
Robert Boyer, will, 1576, proved in the P.C.C.
1610, endowment, 3 a. 2 r. 13 p. in Burghfield, let
at £9 a year, and 10s. a year from allotment land at
Trash Green, and £62 11s. 3d. consols, forming part
of the general fund.
Charities of John Balle, will, 1608, and Richard
Ironside, will, 1623, proved in the P.C.C., income
£5 5s. yearly, being two-twelfths of the rent of an
allotment in Burghfield, containing 9 a. 1 r. 18 p.
Augustine Knapp, will, 1602, proved in the P.C.C.,
about £9 12s. yearly, being four-fifths of the rents of
the site of St. Giles's National Schools and of land
adjoining, and three messuages thereon.
John Noyse, will, 1605, proved in the P.C.C.,
consisting of £40 consols, arising from the redemption
in 1906 of a rent-charge of £1.
William Swaddon, D.D., will previous to 1624,
being an annuity of £4, issuing out of lands in the
hamlet of Singleborough and parish of Great Horwood, in the county of Buckingham.
Richard Turnor, will, proved in the P.C.C. 1616,
consisting of site of tenements in St. Mary's Butts
and Reform Court, let at £50 a year.
Rodolph Warcupp, will, 1608, yearly income about
£55, arising from plots of land on the south side of
West Hill and in Southampton Street.
Thomas Lane, in pursuance of the will of George
Lane, his father, by deed, 1602, granted certain land
in Whitchurch, county of Oxford, for the use of the
poor people maintained in the hospital or almshouse
of St. Lawrence, Reading. The land was sold and
the proceeds invested in £1,293 16s. consols.
This hospital was formerly the church of Grey
Friars, which by Letters Patent dated 24 April 1542 (fn. 2)
was granted to the Mayor and burgesses of Reading
and was used by them for the purposes of a gildhall.
Joseph Carter, will, proved in the P.C.C. 1610,
being a rent-charge of £1, issuing formerly out of
two messuages lying over against St. Edmund's
Chapel, belonging to the church of St. Lawrence,
and now part of the site of the workhouse of that
Peter Wyboe, will, about 1620, legacy of £20.
William A'Thorne (alias Legge), will, proved in
the P.C.C. 1619, legacy of £50.
Mary Worsley, will, proved in the Archdeaconry
Court of Berks. 1621, legacy of £40.
The three legacies were laid out in the purchase
of a messuage in Castle Street, which was sold in
1760 for £200, and the proceeds laid out in £375
consols, forming part of the general fund.
Edward Kemys, will, 1609, consisting of five-twelfths of the rent of the allotment in Burghfield,
referred to above under Balle's charity, amounting to
£6 10s. yearly.
Edward Hamblin, deed, 1613, and will, 1619,
being an annuity of £4, issuing out of a farm called
Kirtons, in Burghfield.
William Brackstone, will, 1630, proved in the
P.C.C., being an annuity of £4, issuing out of land
called Moatlands at Burghfield.
John Eyre, deed, 1636, being an annuity of £5,
issuing out of land at Hartley, in Shinfield.
William Joanes, will, 1669, proved in the P.C.C.,
being an annuity of £5, issuing out of lands in
Whitley and Reading.
Thomas Deane, deed, 1610, gift of £160, and
James Pocock, will, 1610, legacy of £25.
These sums with £25 added by the corporation
were in 1633 invested in the purchase of certain
messuages, which are now represented by two messuages
in London Street and two tenements in Mount
Pleasant, yearly rentals £140.
These charities are also possessed of £53 17s. 3d.
consols purchased with a fine of £51 paid on the
renewal of a lease of a portion of the property which
formed part of the general fund.
William Iremonger, will, 1637, being an annuity
of £2 issuing out of a house in Minister Street.
Mary Love, will, 1776, legacy of £300, represented
by £377 7s. consols, which formed part of the general
By the scheme confirmed by the said Act it was
provided that the clear annual income of the abovementioned charities, instead of being distributed
among the poor in small money doles and other gifts,
should in future be appropriated to the augmentation
of the endowment of the Reading General Almshouses
as re-established in conformity therewith.
For effectuating this object the properties constituting
the endowments of A'Larder's and Harrison's Almshouses were developed and made productive of increased
income and new almshouses erected in Castle Street,
in or about 1865, for sixteen inmates, either men or
In 1907 new trustees of these charities were
appointed by the Charity Commissioners, and the
charities next mentioned were placed under the
management of the same trustees, namely:
Thomas Barkshire's charity, founded by will proved
at London, 1880, trust fund, £81 13s. 7d. consols,
forming part of the general fund.
Thomas Cooke's charity (see above) for the almshouses founded by John Webb (see below), trust fund,
Edward Simeon's trust for the obelisk in the
Market Place, gift in or about 1805, trust fund,
Martin Hope Sutton's charity, will, proved at
London, 1901, trust fund, £95 12s. 4d. consols; and
William Vine's charity, trust fund, £1,078 2s. 3d.
Reading Corporation 3 per cent. stock.
In 1862, in pursuance of the said Act, a sum of
£6,095 18s. 4d. consols (comprising the several sums
of stock above mentioned as carried to a general
account) was transferred to the official trustees, to
which the sum of £81 13s. 7d. like stock (Barkshire's
charity) was added in 1893, making together £6,177
11s. 11d. consols to the credit of the general account.
In 1899 a sum of £2,496 5s. 7d. stock was sold
out, and the proceeds applied in rebuilding dilapidated
cottages in Bear Street, subject to replacement from
time to time under the title of the depreciation fund.
The sums of stock held by the official trustees
belonging to the municipal (general) charities consist
of £3,238 1s. 4d. consols standing to the credit of the
general account, £438 19s. 1d. to the credit of the
depreciation fund, producing together £83 13s. 10d.
yearly, and the sum of £247 6s. 9d. consols which
is being accumulated on an investment account for
replacement of stock sold out in 1906 for effecting
The several sums of stock other than those forming
part of the general fund are likewise held by the
official trustees to the credit of the charities respectively
In 1910–11 a sum of £96 5s. 7d. was charged
against the several charities, according to their respective net incomes, for payment of salaries and expenses
of management. A sum of £443 17s. was paid to
the almspeople weekly and at Christmas, and a
sum of £196 15s. was similarly paid to the annuitants.
2. The consolidated church almshouse charities or
the municipal (church) charities, which are considered
to be Church of England foundations, include the
The Kendrick Almshouses and subsidiary endowments, founded in 1634 by will of William Kendrick.
The trust properties now consist of an annuity of
£20 payable out of a farm in Shinfield, three-twelfths
of the rent of the allotment in Burghfield mentioned
under the charity of John Balle (see above), amounting to £3 18s. 8d., land at Noke, let at £6 10s.
yearly, purchased in 1910 for £525, and £414 5s. 2d.
Also £875 consols derived under the will of the
aforesaid Thomas Cooke.
Also £1,037 12s. 3d. consols under the will of
Robert Hanson. See under Bernard Harrison's
The Vachell Almshouses and subsidiary endowment,
founded in 1634 by Sir Thomas Vachell, kt., are
endowed with a rent-charge of £40 issuing out of land
called Great and Little Garstons at Shinfield.
Also with £1,050 consols by the will of the
aforesaid Thomas Cooke.
The charity of John Hall for almshouses founded
by will of John Hall, proved in the P.C.C. 1697.
The non-educational branch of the charity is endowed
with £1,414 13s. 3d. consols.
Also with £875 consols derived under the will of
the aforesaid Thomas Cooke.
In 1630 Richard Johnson by his will proved in
the P.C.C. (inter alia) devised certain lands and
tenements in Reading for the poor, which were sold
and the proceeds invested in the purchase of £536
5s. 1d. consols. A sum of £5 a year is also received
under a lease of No. 43 Market Place for sixty years
from Michaelmas 1867.
In pursuance of the scheme a sum of £20 consols
was carried to the account of the consolidated gifts
to parish officers of St. Lawrence, leaving a sum of
£5,651 18s. 8d. consols, which is held by the official
trustees as the general fund of these charities, who
also hold the sum of £536 5s. 1d. consols in trust
for Richard Johnson's charity.
Under the Parliamentary scheme provision was
made for the erection of new almshouses out of the
funds of these charities, which are also situated in
Castle Street, and are available for sixteen inmates,
either men or women, who are required to be members
of the Church of England.
In 1905 new trustees of these charities were
appointed by the Charity Commissioners. In 1910
the income from the realty amounted to £75 8s. 8d.,
and the dividends on the stock to £154 14s. Payments were made to the almspeople amounting to
£198 10s., and considerable repairs were made to
the almshouses out of an accumulated balance in hand.
By an order of the Charity Commissioners of 7 July
1905 the following additional charities were placed
under the same body of trustees as the municipal
(church) charities, namely:—
Richard Aldworth's non-educational charity,
founded by will, 1646, trust fund, £533 6s. 8d.
consols, the annual dividends of which, amounting
to £13 6s. 8d., are received by the vicar of St. Lawrence
as a lectureship fund.
Edward Hungerford's charity, founded by will,
date unknown, but prior to 1740, trust fund, £188
15s. consols, the annual dividends of £4 14s. 4d.
being also received by the vicar of St. Lawrence for
Archbishop Laud's non-educational charity, founded
by deed, 1640, the endowments of which consist
of a rent-charge of £10 issuing out of Nos. 33 and
35 Russell Street, and of £200 out of premises in
Friar Street and Queen Victoria Street, Reading, also
of £559 2s. 7d. consols and £2,550 4s. 2½ per cent.
annuities, producing in dividends £77 14s. 4d. yearly.
In 1910 the sum of £115 was expended in apprenticeship premiums and £68 was paid to the vicar
of St. Lawrence.
Charity of John Webb, founded by will, 1653, the
endowments of which consist of ground rents on
Nos. 114 and 115 Broad Street, Reading, amounting
to £56 17s. 8d., and £1,190 12s. 9d. consols, producing
£29 15s. yearly. The charity is regulated by a scheme
of 22 February 1887. In 1910 the sum of £65, was
paid in weekly pensions to five poor widows of
St. Lawrence's parish, and there was a balance in
hand of £157 2s.
Charity of John West for a sermon, founded by
codicil to will, 1719, being an annuity of £1 received from the trustees of the Blue Coat School
Foundation. The sums of stock are held by the
official trustees, who also hold a sum of £156 17s. 5d.
consols, representing a legacy of £150 for poor
prisoners by will of Mrs. Elizabeth Deane, 1787,
producing £3 18s. 4d. yearly.
3. The consolidated charities for female servants
include the following:—
John Blagrave, will, 1611, being an annuity of £10,
issuing out of lands in Swallowfield, for the encouragement of maidservants, the selection to be by lot.
The charity of William Boundry and John Richards,
founded by deed, 1755. The endowments consist of
ground rents on properties in Southampton Street,
amounting to £5 15s. yearly; £290 18s. 8d.
consols and £2,911 18s. 3d. consols, representing
proceeds of sale in 1879 of land in St. Giles's parish.
Martin Annesley, who died in 1822, in his lifetime
gave £500 consols in augmentation of these charities.
The above-mentioned sums of stock are included
in the general fund next mentioned.
In pursuance of the scheme a sum of £27 16s.
consols was carried to the account of the consolidated
gifts to parish officers of St. Lawrence, leaving a
sum of £3,675 os. 11d. consols, which is held by the
official trustees as the general fund of these charities,
producing £91 17s. 4d. early.
In 1910 the sum of £100 was applied in gifts to
ten female servants, being members of the Church
of England, who had served for a period of not less
than five years in the same family.
4. The consolidated municipal educational charities
include the following:—
Thomas Lydall, founded by will, 1606, proved in
the P.C.C., endowment consisting of ground rent of
£38 on No. 98 Friar Street. (See also under parish
of St. Lawrence.)
Edward Simeon, for bread, founded by will, 1810,
proved in the P.C.C., being a legacy of £1,000 represented by £1,617 19s. 7d. consols, which is included
in the general fund mentioned below.
Sir John Simeon, who died in 1824, left a legacy
of £100 consols in trust to keep testator's vault in
St. Giles's in repair and the surplus to be applied in
distribution of bread. The sum of £40 consols has
been set apart with the official trustees for the repair
of the vault, and the balance of the legacy, with
accumulations, forms part of the general fund.
Sir Thomas White's loan charity, founded by deed,
1560, consisting of £1,013 12s. 3d. consols, representing moneys received from time to time from the
corporation of Bristol, which is included in the general
In pursuance of the scheme a sum of £33 6s. 8d.
consols was carried to the account of the consolidated
gifts to parish officers of St. Lawrence, leaving a sum
of £2,658 5s. 2d. consols, which is held by the official
trustees as the general fund of these charities.
By the said scheme it was provided that in lieu of
the distribution of bread or in loans the income of
these charities should be carried (cl. 21) into one
fund and divided into three parts, and one of such
third parts should be applied towards the support of
the National schools in connexion with the three parish
churches and with other churches in communion
with the Church of England, and the remaining
two-thirds in equal shares towards the support of
the Green girls' school and the Blue Coat school.
In 1910 the income from endowments amounted
to £110, whereof the sums of £31 16s. 5d. were
paid to the National schools, the Green girls' school
and the Blue Coat school respectively.
—The Grammar School has already been
dealt with. (fn. 3) The foundation is now regulated by
a scheme of the Board of Education of 29 February
1908, whereby the school is constituted a public
secondary school for boys. The trust property affected
by the scheme consists of the school buildings at
Redlands and 13 acres of land in hand; an annual
payment of £10 by the corporation; £1,278 13s. 4d.
2½ per cent. annuities, producing £31 19s. 4d. yearly,
being Archbishop Laud's educational foundation, and
£1,164 12s. 2d. consols, producing £29 2s. 4d. yearly,
constituting the Appleton Scholarship Fund. The
sums of stock are held by the official trustees.
The Blue Coat school was founded in 1646, by will
of Richard Aldworth, and subsidiary endowments. (fn. 4)
The present endowments are as follows:—
Richard Aldworth's foundation, £6,929 14s. 8d.
consols, rents from No. 172 Friar Street and other
properties amounting to £420 10s.
John Pottinger's charity, being a rent-charge of
£15 issuing out of Blossom's End, Tilehurst.
Sir Thomas Rich's charity, £1,000 10s. consols,
rent of Townsend Farm, Streatley, containing 109
acres, and of other premises in Streatley, also ground
rents on other properties at Streatley, amounting
together to £398, of which £366 3s. was in 1910
carried to the credit of the school.
John Hall's educational foundation and augmentation by Mrs. Ann Norwood, consisting of
£3,925 14s. 2d. consols, a rent-charge of £25 issuing
out of lands at Caversham, and £38 a year from the
rent of Silchester Laundry Company, and a rent-charge of £60 issuing out of No. 90 Broad Street,
Reading (Norwood's augmentation), and £126 8s. 3d.
consols. In 1910 the sum of £193 18s. 2d. was carried
to the credit of the school.
William Malthus's foundation. (fn. 5)
consists of the Manor Farm and Lower Farm at
Noke of the annual rental value of £485. In 1910
£249 3s. 4d. was carried to the Blue Coat school
and £49 16s. 8d. to the parish of Blewbury.
John West's Trust, consisting of the fee-farm rent
of £6 8s. 9d. on premises at Northampton, and
interest at 3¾ per cent. on £1,691 14s. 11d. Cloth-workers' Company stock, producing £63 8s. 10d.
yearly. (fn. 6)
The several sums of stock are held by the official
trustees, producing in dividends £299 10s. 4d. yearly.
A sum of £31 16s. 5d. also was in 1910 received
as the share of the consolidated municipal educational
charities (see above), making the income for that year
£1,571 9s. 11d.
Among the items of expenditure a sum of
£771 6s. 9d. was applied in maintenance and incidental expenses, £355 14s. 8d. in salaries and allowances for servants, and £6 13s. 4d. was paid to the
vicar of St. Lawrence in respect of Aldworth's weekly
lecture, and there was a balance in hand of £172 16s.
Edward Simeon's charity for providing clothing for
children attending Sunday schools in Reading, founded
by will, 1810, is endowed with a sum of £4,044 19s.
consols, held by the official trustees, the annual dividends of which, amounting to £101 2s. 4d., are duly
The Girls' Green school was originally founded by
public subscriptions for girls bona fide resident in the
three parishes of St. Giles, St. Lawrence and St. Mary.
A sum of £3,394 18s. 8d. consols is held by the
official trustees in trust for this school, arising from
certain benefactions, producing £84 17s. 4d. yearly.
This school also benefits from one-third share of the
municipal educational charities, which in 1910
amounted to £31 16s. 5d.
The Hon. Mrs. Cadogan's educational fund consists of £1,241 6s. 8d. consols with the official trustees,
arising under deeds of gift 1844 and 1871. The
annual dividends, amounting to £31 0s. 8d. yearly,
are, under a scheme of 14 May 1897, applicable
in helping girls in connexion with the Church of
The Kendrick schools, established out of certain
charities founded in 1624 by John Kendrick and
Mary Kendrick, now consist of a boys' school erected
in Queen's Road and a girls' school in Watlington
Street, which was made a separate foundation by a
scheme made under the Endowed Schools Acts of
2 March 1909.
The schools are constituted public secondary schools,
and are regulated by the said scheme as varied by
schemes of the Board of Education dated 7 November 1910 and 10 May 1910 respectively.
The trust funds are under the control of the corporation of Reading. The official trustees, however,
still hold a sum of £1,160 2s. 10d. consols, the dividends of which are being accumulated until a sum of
£1,265 0s. 4d. stock shall have been attained, which
sum will thereupon be transferred to the corporation
in trust for the boys' school. This sum of stock
represents the amount expended in the erection of
laboratories, &c., to the school.
The Reading and District Church Missionary
Society Lay Workers' Union is entitled, under a
scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 8 September
1905, to the annual dividends on £105 19s. 2d.
India 3 per cent. stock, amounting to £3 3s. 4d.,
arising from moneys received in consideration of the
surrender of a lease of No. 8 St. Mary's Butts,
formerly belonging to the Church of England Young
Men's Christian Association.
Under the same scheme a sum of £113 2s. 3d.
India 3 per cent. stock was set aside as an educational
foundation for the support of the Sunday schools in
connexion with Greyfriars Church.
A sum of £113 2s. 3d. like stock was also set aside
as an educational foundation for the Sunday schools
in connexion with St. Mary's Episcopal Chapel,
producing £3 7s. 8d. yearly.
The several sums of stock are held by the official
—The Reading Monthly
Meeting of Society of Friends. The charity of
Abraham and Sarah Bonifield for poor Friends consists of £133 6s. 8d. consols, producing £3 6s. 8d.
John Sargood's charity, founded by will proved in
the P.C.C. 26 August 1826, is endowed with £105
consols, producing £2 12s. 4d. yearly, which, subject
to the repair of the mounds and fences of the burialground near Hermitage, is applicable for the benefit
of poor members of the Monthly Meeting at Reading
The sums of stock are held by the official trustees,
who also hold a further sum of £29 5s. 4d. consols
arising from the sale in 1880 of the 'Meeting House
Land' at Oare, the dividends being applicable for the
use of the society.
In 1883 Philip Davies, by his will proved at
Oxford, bequeathed £1,000 Reading Corporation
3½ per cent. stock (with the official trustees), the
income of £35 a year to be paid to the pastor of the
Baptist chapel, Carey Street.
The Royal Berkshire Hospital was opened in 1839,
to which large additions were subsequently made; in
1908 the court of governors adopted a large scheme of
building involving an outlay of £20,000, which has
recently been completed. In 1909 the ordinary
income amounted to £9,500, of which £2,300 arose
from the income of invested funds standing in the
names of the trustees of the nominal value of £52,000.
The endowment funds include a sum of £1,046 6s. 1d.
consols given in 1852 by Richard de Beauvoir Benyon
for securing the services of a clergyman of the Church
of England; £1,317 12s. 9d. Midland Railway 2½ per
cent. stock given in 1903 for the endowment of a bed
in a female medical ward by Miss Mary Hall Pocock;
£821 Great Eastern Railway 4 per cent. stock, bequeathed in 1903 by Miss Martha Penelope Leggatt
for the same purpose; £3,185 India 3 per cent.
stock, bequeathed in 1891 by will of William Merry;
£112 14s. 3d. Reading Corporation 3 per cent. stock,
under will of George Pitt in 1902 for sick employees
of Messrs. H. & G. Simonds; £1,036 4s. 4d. New
South Wales 3 per cent. stock, by will of Mrs. Fuller
Julia Lloyd in 1902, for providing special comfort
for ladies or gentlemen who might be patients;
£490 13s. 2a. Reading Corporation 3 per cent. stock,
by will in 1902 of Horace James Gardener, late of
the Bull Hotel, Streatley, for ensuring the right
of the proprietor of the said hotel of sending one
in-patient and two out-patients yearly to the said
Parish of St. Giles.
—In 1602 Augustine Knapp,
by his will proved in the P.C.C., gave 20s. yearly
for clothing poor, lame, blind and impotent people.
The annuity was redeemed in 1881 by the transfer
to the official trustees of £33 12s. 6d. consols, now
producing 16s. 8d. yearly, which has for some years
In 1606 Thomas Deane, by his will proved in the
P.C.C., gave an annuity of £3 for the poor of Reading
This charity was augmented in 1623 by will of
Richard Aldworth, proved in the P.C.C., who
devised a like annuity of £3.
The annuities are paid out of property known as
the Billingbear estate, one-third being applicable in
this parish and one-third in each of the parishes of
St. Mary and St. Lawrence.
In 1661 Thomas Ward by his will devised 10s.
yearly to be divided equally among four ancient poor
people, payable out of certain lands in Swallowfield,
Wiltshire, now transferred to Berkshire.
In 1673 Stephen Atwater by his will gave an
annuity of 20s. to be divided equally among four poor
men belonging to the clothing trade, charged upon
land at Whitley in this parish.
In 1688 Samuel Jemmett, by will proved in the
P.C.C., gave 20s. yearly out of his lands in Shinfield
to be distributed equally among four poor house-holders.
The payments of the three annuities last mentioned
appear to have been discontinued.
In 1814 Catherine Collis by her will bequeathed
£100 stock, the dividends, subject to the repair of her
father's tomb, to be applied in the distribution of bread
on 23 March yearly. The trust funds, with accumulations, are now represented by £105 consols and
£62 8s. 8d. London County 3 per cent. stock.
In 1887 Daniel Seller Russell, by his will proved
at Oxford, bequeathed £100, the income to be
distributed among old and decayed parishioners
attending the parish church. The trust funds with
accumulations are now represented by £88 11s. 2d.
consols and £44 16s. 8d. London County 3 per cent.
stock. The income of this charity and that of
Catherine Collis's charity, amounting together to
£8 3s., are distributed at the same time among the
sick and needy.
In 1903 Martha Penelope Leggatt, by her will
proved in London, bequeathed £500 for the benefit
of the poor. The legacy was invested in £567 7s. 6d.
consols, producing £14 3s. 8d. yearly, which in 1909
was applied in the distribution of £5 among the sick
and needy and the balance among aged poor.
The charity of Elizabeth Dora Clarke for the
curates of the parish church, founded by will dated
in 1898, is endowed with a sum of £3,742 1s. 5d.
India 3 per cent. stock, producing £112 5s. yearly.
The Southern Hill Home, founded in 1874, was
sold in 1906 and the proceeds invested in £1,036 12s.
consols, producing £25 18s. 4d. yearly, which, under
a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 21 February 1902, is made applicable in aid of the Reading
Female Aid Society, or in aid of any other society or
institution in England having an evangelical and
Protestant religious basis and having as its object the
rescue and care of fallen women.
The several sums of stock above mentioned are
held by the official trustees.
—It appears from an inquisition of
commissioners of charitable uses made at Newbury on
18 April 1599 that there had been given and conveyed
to certain persons whose names were then unknown
divers messuages, lands and tenements within the
borough of Reading, the rents whereof had been
employed towards the reparation of the church of St.
Giles and other charitable uses, the evidences whereof
had been embezzled and taken out of the chest of the
vestry room of the church by one Jeffrey Cowper, sometime churchwarden. By a decree made thereupon,
dated 18 April 1599, confirmed by Letters Patent
of 7 December of the following year, the rents and
profits thereof were assured for the repair of the
church, the maintenance of the bells and seats and
the surplus towards the relief of the poor of the said
parish. The trust estate now consists of seven houses
in London Street, three cottages in Steeple Place,
St. Giles's buildings, consisting of sixteen cottages, four
houses and straw stores in Southampton Street, No. 7
Silver Street, property in Hawke Court and in East
Street, and the playground of St. Giles's boys' school,
also of certain quit-rents. The gross rental amounts
to about £514 a year.
Parish of St. Lawrence.
—Consolidated gifts to parish
officers of St. Lawrence. By the Parliamentary scheme
above mentioned the several sums of £20, £33 6s. 8d.
and £27 16s. consols out of the funds of the church
almshouse charities, Thomas Lydall's charity, and John
Blagrave's charity respectively, making together
£81 2s. 8d. consols, were transferred to the official
trustees, upon trust to remit the dividends to the
vicar of St. Lawrence, who should pay thereout
annually 4s. 4d. to the clerk, 3s. 4d. to the bell-ringer, 1s. to the sexton, and 10s. to the churchwardens for the repairs of the church and should
retain the residue for his own use.
The charity of John Johnson, founded in 1614 by
will proved in the P.C.C., is endowed with a
messuage situate in Fisher Row, now known as 21 and
22 Broad Street, purchased with moneys bequeathed
by the testator, which is let at £45 yearly. In 1907
the net income was apportioned £9 10s. to the vicar,
£9 10s. to the churchwardens for the reparation of
the church, £2 towards the sexton's family, and the
balance in bread, food and gifts to the poor.
The charities of Elizabeth Elwes and Richard
Johnson, founded respectively in 1621 and 1630 by
wills proved in the P.C.C., whereby legacies of £100
and £60 respectively were bequeathed for the poor,
are now endowed with £744 8s. 3d. consols, and
£6,400 2½ per cent. annuities, arising from the sales
in 1886 and 1896 of the properties purchased in
1635 with the original legacies. The annual
dividends, amounting to £178 12s., were in 1907
applied in the payment of eight pensions of £10 4s.
each, a sum of £1 6s. 8d. in bread to a large number
of poor persons under a gift by John Newman in
1523, £4 15s. 7d. to the provident club, £5 5s. to
the Queen Victoria Nursing Home, £22 11s. in
money gifts, and the balance in the distribution of
flannel, &c., and relief tickets.
The charities of Thomas Deane and Richard
Aldworth, see under parish of St. Giles. The sum
of £1 18s. is received and applied yearly in this parish.
The charities of Roger Knight and John Bagley,
founded respectively in 1634 and 1638 by wills
proved in the P.C.C., are now endowed with
£644 12s. 2d. consols, arising from the sale in 1888
of two messuages in Gutter Lane. The annual
dividends, amounting to £16 2s. 4d., are in pursuance
of the trusts applicable, £1 for a sermon, £1 14s. for
the poor, and the balance towards the reparation of
The charity of Elizabeth Thorne, who died in
1772, is endowed with £135 11s. 2d. consols with
the official trustees; the annual dividends, amounting
to £3 7s. 8d., are applicable in augmentation of
Edward Hungerford's charity for celebration of
evening service. See under municipal church charities
Charity of John Allen—See under the parish of
John Chamberlain, as appeared from the table of
benefactions, devised a rent-charge of £1 annually
to be given to the poor on Ash Wednesday. The
annuity is paid by Merton College, Oxford, in respect
of land at Stratton (Wilts.), and applied in gifts of food
to the poor.
In 1791 Rachel Veasey, by her will proved in
the P.C.C., bequeathed £805 New South Sea stock,
subsequently represented by £920 1s. 8d. consols,
for certain charitable purposes. In 1904, by an
order of the Charity Commissioners, £120 consols,
being three twenty-third parts thereof, or £3 a year,
was set aside as the share of the Green girls' school,
and £40 consols, being one twenty-third part thereof,
or £1 a year, for books for the Sunday schools. The
income on £760 1s. 8d. consols, the remainder of
the stock, amounting to £19 a year, is applied in
gifts of £1 each to five poor widows and five poor
householders, £2 each to two servants who have lived
two years in one family, and in gifts of 10s. each to
ten poor persons.
In 1802 Mrs. Susannah Veasey, by her will proved
in the P.C.C., bequeathed her residuary estate for
the poor. The legacy is now represented by £225
consols, the annual dividends of which, amounting to
£5 12s. 4d., are duly applied.
In 1840 Mrs. Mary Walsham by her will bequeathed £100 consols, the dividends thereof, amounting to £2 10s., to be distributed in coal among four
—By a decree made upon the
findings of an inquisition of charitable uses taken at
Newbury on 18 April 1599, confirmed by Letters
Patent on 17 December, 1602, the rents and profits
of certain lands were assured for the repair of the
church of St. Lawrence and of the bells and seats,
and the overplus to the relief of the poor. The
trust estate now consists of a house and shop,
No. 39 Friar Street, let at £40 a year, a ground rent
of £55 on 110 Friar Street, the ground rents on
Nos. 18, 20 and 22 Cross Street, amounting together
to £70, and £419 5s. 1d. consols, producing
£10 9s. 4d. yearly, which together with certain small
quit-rents made in 1910 a total gross income of
£175 16s. 5½d. The net income is applied towards
the reparation of the parish church.
The several sums of stock above mentioned are
held by the official trustees.
Parish of St. Mary.—Apprenticing and Educational
—In 1732 John Allen, by his will proved
in the P.C.C., bequeathed £1,000 to be laid out in
land and settled upon the three ministers of St. Mary,
St. Giles and St. Lawrence upon trust that nine-tenths
of the rents and profits should be applied in apprenticing in the said three parishes, and the residue be
retained by the said ministers, subject to the repair of
The endowment consists of a farm known as Little
John's Farm in Tilehurst, containing 53 acres or
thereabouts, awarded in 1817 on the inclosure in
that parish, which is let at £170 a year, and of
£1,767 19s. 8d. consols, with the official trustees,
arising from accumulations of income. The annual
dividends, amounting to £44 4s., are together with
the net rent applicable in pursuance of a scheme of
9 February 1909 in premiums of not less than £20
or more than £50 in putting forth boys bona fide
residents of the said three parishes as apprentices to
some useful trade. A certain amount is received by
each of the vicars upon the apprenticeship of a boy
selected from his parish.
The official trustees also hold on an investment
account a sum of £886 18s. 6d. consols, which is
being accumulated until a sum of £1,139 0s. 5d. stock
shall have been attained.
Neale's School—The official trustees hold a sum
of £470 12s. 8d. consols in trust for this school, representing a legacy of £300 by the will of Joseph Neale,
1705, and a legacy of £100 by will of William
Watlington, 1848. The annual dividends, amounting
to £11 15s. 4d., are applied for the benefit of a school,
comprised in a deed dated 23 December 1876.
The National schools are entitled to share in the
municipal educational charities above.
The Consolidated Charities.
—The following charities were by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners
of 7 November 1905 consolidated and placed under
one body of trustees, namely the charities of
(1) Richard Jeyes, will proved in the P.C.C. 1649,
and John Bacon, will, 1681.
Trust funds, £2,055 1s. consols, arising from the
sale of realty formerly belonging to the charities.
(2) John Wells Hounslow, will, proved at Oxford,
1902; trust fund, £110 16s. 4d. consols.
(3) John Blagrave, mentioned in Parliamentary
Returns of 1786; trust fund, £137 2s. 4d. consols.
(4) Reginald Butler, will, 1638, being a rent-charge of £1, issuing out of land known as Burghfield.
(5) Charities of Thomas Deane and Richard
Aldworth, see under parish of St. Giles. The sum
of £1 18s. is applied yearly in the parish of St. Mary.
(6) William Elkins, will, 1638, consisting of an
annuity of £1 out of lands in Mapledurham.
(7) John Mills, will, date unknown, trust fund,
£51 6s. 9d. consols, representing a sum of £50
received by way of compromise in respect of a charge
on a house in Castle Street.
(8) Robert Reeve, deed, 25 February 1620, being
an annuity of £2 12s., issuing out of Nos. 7 and
9 Castle Street.
(9) Nicholas Russell, will, 1611, proved in the
Court of Arches, consisting of an annuity of 13s. 4d.,
charged on No. 17 Minster Street and Finch's Buildings, Hosier Street.
The several sums of stock are held by the official
trustees, producing in annual dividends £58 17s.,
which with the sum of £7 3s. 4d. received in respect
of the annuities were in 1909 applied in pursuance of
the scheme in pensions of 5s. weekly.
The official trustees also hold a sum of £88 11s. 2d.
consols, producing £2 4s. yearly, in trust for the
charity of Daniel Seller Russell, for old and decayed
parishioners attending the parish church, derived
under will proved at Oxford 26 April 1887.
Ecclesiastical Charities.—Church Lands.
earliest document relating to the church lands was
a deed poll under the seal of the Abbot and convent
of Reading, dated 10 March, 28 Henry VI, whereby a
certain tenement in Olde Street, otherwise Wode
Street (subsequently 2 Castle Street), was granted to
the procurators of the church of St. Mary. The
church was also possessed of four dwelling-houses and
yards at St. Mary's Butts. These properties were sold
in 1886 and 1902 respectively, and the proceeds
thereof are represented by £5,553 6s. 8d. consols
with the official trustees, producing £138 16s. 8d.
yearly, which with the rent of No. 22 Castle Street,
still retained and let at £26 a year, are applied
towards the expenses of the church.
In 1624 John Kendrick, by will proved in the
P.C.C., gave £250 to purchase lands for the maintenance of morning service at the parish church.
The trust fund now consists of £780 8s. 1d. consols
with the official trustees, representing the proceeds of
sale in 1873 of property in Tilehurst belonging to
the charity. The annual dividends, amounting to
£19 10s., are duly applied.
The four charities next mentioned are also for the
benefit of the clergy of St. Mary's, namely—
Mrs. Elizabeth Thorne, who died in 1772, by will,
left a legacy, now represented by £135 11s. 2d.
consols, for the benefit of the vicar.
Isaac Harrison, will proved at Oxford 28 August
1888, trust fund, £925 9s. consols.
Miss Charlotte Kimber, will, 1890, trust fund,
£199 4s. Local Loans 3 per cent. stock.
Caroline Young, by a codicil to will proved at
London 31 May 1902, bequeathed £500, the
interest to be applied in augmentation of the stipend
of the incumbent of St. Mary's Chapel. The sum of
£450, received after payment of legacy duty, was lent
on mortgage of two houses at Caversham at 4 per cent.
The sums of stock above mentioned are held by
the official trustees, producing together £32 9s. 8d.
yearly, which with the interest on the mortgage,
amounting to £18 a year, is duly applied in accordance with the trust of the respective charities.
Mission rooms, comprised in deeds of 22 September
1875 and 2 June 1899, are regulated by a scheme of
the Charity Commissioners of 8 February 1901.
—The Broad Street Independent Chapel and trust property, comprised in
deed of 30 November 1808, is endowed with two
messuages and shops, Nos. 89 and 89a Broad Street,
let at £100 a year, of which £60 is for the benefit
of the minister and £40 for the chapel; also with a
rent-charge of £2 from a farm in the parish of
The minister was also entitled to the dividends on
£500 consols, £533 2s. 5d. consols, and £100 consols
under the charities of Mary Ryder, Elizabeth King
and Elizabeth Chinner respectively.
The sums of stock were sold cut in 1892 for
effecting improvements to the chapel, subject to
replacement by yearly instalments of £24. The sum
of £637 12s. 9d. India 3 per cent. stock is held by
the official trustees in respect of such investment
account, which is being accumulated until a sum of
£1,133 2s. 5d. stock shall have been attained.
Parish of St. John the Evangelist.
—In 1887 Daniel
Seller Russell, by his will proved at Oxford, bequeathed
£100, the interest to be distributed among old and
decayed parishioners attending St. John's Church in
sums of 5s. each. The legacy, less duty, was invested
in £87 18s. 2d. consols, producing £2 3s. 8d. yearly.
In 1897 Leonard Goodhart Sutton gave a sum of
£100 consols as a convalescent fund, the dividends to
be applied in sending to the seaside poor and deserving
inhabitants needing change of air.
The sums of stock are held by the official trustees.
Parish of Christ Church, Whitley.
Institute, founded by a deed of trust 3 August 1911,
is endowed with a sum of £1,079 10s. 3d. India
3½ per cent. stock with the official trustees. The
annual dividends, amounting to £37 15s. 8d., are
applicable in keeping in repair and improving the