||The following Inspeximus of the endowment of the vicarage of St. Nicholas, in the year 1194, is copied
from Bishop Hatfield's Register, in the archives of the dean and chapter of Durham:—
"Ordinatio Vicariæ B. Nicholai, de Novo Castro. Noverint universi quod nos Thomas, permissione divina
Dunelm' Episcopus inspecto registro bonæ memoriæ Hugonis dudum Dunelm' Episcopi predecessoris nostri
comperimus in eodem quod dictus Hugo Episcopus vicariam villæ Novo Castri super Tynam, nostræ dioces'
ordinavit & portionem pro sustentatione vicarii ejusdem qui pro tempore fuerit in eadem de fructibus ad
dictam ecclesiam pertinentibus taxavit statuit & limitavet sub hac forma.
"Hugo Dei gratia Dunelm' Episcopus omnibus sanctæ matris ecclesiæ filiis ad quos literæ istæ pervenerint
salutem. Noverit universitas vestra quod nos anno Dom' 1194 pridie ante conversionem Sancti Pauli
vicariam ecclesiæ beati Nicholai de Novo Castello super Tynam nostræ dioces' (inter) alias, in eadem ordinatam de unanimi consensu dilectorum filiorum nostrorum prioris et conventus Karliol' dictam ecclesiam
beati Nicholai in usus suos canonice obtinentium portionem infra scriptam pro sustentacione vicarii ejusdem
qui est et pro tempore erit in eadem ex nostri postoralis officii debito taxamus, statuimus et ordinamus, viz.
quod quilibet vicarius illius ecclesiæ qui pro tempore fuerit pro sustentatione sua & portione congrua percipiat & habeat omnes fructus, proventus, oblationes, obventiones quascunque ad dictam ecclesiam qualitercunque pertinentes de quibuscunque rebus existentes, decimus garbarum dictæ ecclesiæ duntaxat exceptis.
In quarum inspectionis & compertionis testimonium sigillum nostrum fecimus hiis apponi. Dat' in manerio
nostro de Auckland, sexto die mensis Junii anno Dom. 1360, et nostræ consecrationis quinto decimo."
In the instrument by which the vicars are inducted, the vicarage is termed the Vicarage of Saint Nicholas.
It contains five distinct, and, in every respect, independent parishes, viz. Saint Nicholas, All Saints, Saint
Andrew, Saint John, and Gosforth. The first lies in the town and county of Newcastle entirely—All Saints
partly so, but also containing the township of Byker and Heaton in Northumberland—Saint Andrew's partly
in Newcastle, and also containing the townships of Jesmond and Fenham—Saint John partly in Newcastle,
but likewise containing the townships of Westgate, Elswick, and Benwell, in the county of Northumberland—and Gosforth entirely in that county. These five parishes all exercise, exclusively and distinctly from each
other, and within their own respective limits, all the rights belonging to a parish, as to the church-rate, appointment of church-wardens, collection of Easter reckonings, and baptisms, marriages, and burials; and in
these respects these parishes are completely independent of each other. No part of the vioarage extends on
the river Tyne further east than the extremity of Byker township, nor further west than the extremity of
Benwell. The north shore of the river between these points is part of the vicarage, but none other.
This extended limit, composed of these five parishes, is not properly called "The Parish" of Saint Nicholas, but "The Vicarage," and "The Parish" is only understood to be the division so properly called.
The following boundary roll is in the hand-writing of the Rev. Atkinson Hird, a deceased curate of St.
Nicholas:—-"Began at the Blue Stone on Tyne Bridge, which stone extends over two-thirds of the river—
thence down the river to the east end of St. Anthony's ballast-quay—thence on the west side of Walker
estate—thence on the west side of Mr. Bigg's estate—thence on the west side of Brown and Brandling's
estate, up to the Three Mile Bourne—thence on the west side of the Three Mile Bourne to Gosforth Moor
House—thence on the west of the Colledge of Durham—thence on the west of Brandling's land, lately bought
of Lord Carlisle—thence on the west side of Killingworth Moor—thence on the west side of Mr. Pew's land—thence on the south side of Brandling's land, called Weetslade (the aforesaid lands and estates are all in
the parish of Long Benton, so that the parish of Newcastle is bounded by that parish from St. Anthon's ballast-quays to Brandling's North Lodge upon the north road)—thence along the coach-lonning on the south side of Dawson's (Three Sisters) land—thence along the coach-lonning through Dawson's land—thence on
the south side of a small runner, or rivulet, that runs through the low side of the plantation at the end of
the coach-lonning (the lands on the north side of the coach-lonning, and that part of the plantation on the
north side of the small runner or rivulet, lying in the parish of Ponteland, so that the parish of Newcastle is
bounded by that parish from Brandling's North Lodge westward to the west end of the plantation at the end
of the coach-lonning)—thence on the east side of the same small runner, or rivulet, into a plantation in Bell
of Wolsington's park—thence turning to the west along the south side of the lowest of the ridges running in
an eastern and western direction (an old thorn, now empaled, being left from the fence taken away)—thence
by the south side of the lower plantation to a stone in the furrow of the ridges running in a northern and
southern direction (the stone was no more than what might be called a cobble-stone, trode loosely about with
sods, and appeared to have been very lately placed there)—thence on the east side of the furrow or line through
a piece of water to the east side of the hedge of the west end of the plantation, in the south side of the piece
of water (the young man, perhaps 20 years of age, nephew to Robson, Bell of Wolsington's agent, said that
that part of the boundary, a fence from the stone afore-mentioned to the piece of water afore-mentioned, had
been taken away long since. Pendleton, the vicar of Newcastle's tything man, appeared quite ignorant of
this part of the boundary, and said that Robson, Bell's agent, had the preceding evening shewn him a plan
of the estate of Wolsington, and told him that he was sure that no person knew the boundaries of the adjoining
parishes, Newcastle and Newburn, in that estate, but himself)—thence on the east side of a circular, or
rather crooked line, up to Wolsington Lodge (four unempaled old thorns being left from the fence taken
away)—thence across the road on the east side of a line through a young plantation, an old thorn being left
near the foot, and an old ash tree near the top of the same—thence up the east side of a hedge a few yards
to the west of Brunton Hall, now ruinated—thence on the east side of the dean (here T. Burn informed the
perambulators that there were three fields, to the amount of about 18 acres of land, the tythes whereof are
claimed neither by Newcastle nor Newburn, and which, to use his own expression, belong to no parish)—thence up the east end of the waggon-way field to the south corner of it—thence on the south side of the
hedge of this field, for the length of it—thence on the east side of a hedge that runs southward almost in a
direction with the Black Swine, and near to a runner or rivulet, Denton Bourne (Bell of Wolsington's lands
end very near this place)—thence on the east side of Denton Bourne, and on the east side of Montague's
estate, down to the river Tyne, on the south side, including the King's Meadows, to the Blue Stone on the
bridge, where the perambulation commenced."
On a question between the parish and the corporation in 1803, the following account was given by William
Colpitts, who had been one of the beadles of St. Nicholas for upwards of thirty years:—"I have walked the
boundaries of St. Nicholas. The first time I did so is about nine or ten years ago—never before: one time
about three years ago. The first time, we began the boundaries at Mr. Brandling's far lodge, on the north
turnpike. We went eastward down a lane by the planting to Killingworth Moor edge. We came down to
Salter's Bridge, by the edge of the Moor. We then left the east side of the bourn (Ouseburn) to near Haddrick's Mill. We then turned into Sir Matthew Ridley's estate, and went round the east side of it to the
Shields road, nearly within a field of it (on the north side)—then turned west to Byker Hill, and then south
to the mill—then down the old Roman Wall, below Byker Hill, to within a field to old Walker estate—then
right south along Sir John Lawson's estate, on the east side thereof—then along the east of St. Anthon's—then up the river side west to Newcastle.—First day.
"The second day, we started at the same place, and went along a lane called the coach-lane to near Wolsington House, within two fields of it—north of it. Then we came on the east side of Mr. Bell's house, at
the distance of one field; then upon the turnpike, a little west, near the lodge of Mr. Bell's house. We
crossed the turnpike beyond Bullock Steads, left Newbiggen estate on the right, then came up a lane leading
to Throckley Fell, to the south of a place called the Black Swine, then down to Denton Burn, and from
thence to Scotchwood, and on to the river; then by the water side up to Newcastle. This is the whole of
the first time of the boundary riding.
"The second boundary riding was the same, except the river. We got into a boat at the Lead Stairs at
the Quay, and went down to St. Anthon's. Our directions were to keep beyond the middle stream. The
second day of the riding, we got into a boat at Scotchwood. We kept the King's Meadows on our left, and
came down to the bridge, passing the Blue Stone on our left. (The second boundary riding was the same as
the first, except as to the river.) It is admitted that no part of the parish of St. Nicholas, in the lesser
sense, comes down to the river."
As many years have elapsed since the boundaries of the vicarage were perambulated, these documents are
valuable. They are extracted from a remarkably able and elaborate brief, drawn up by Mr. Thomas Brown,
solicitor, in an appeal case between the parish of St. Nicholas, Newcastle, and the parish of Tynemouth,
Northumberland, concerning the removal of a pauper.
Boundaries of the Parish of St. Nicholas.
This parish is bounded on the south by the river Tyne. The Lort-burn limits the eastern, and the
Skinner-burn, which divides it from Westgate township, the western extremity. The northern boundary runs eastward from the Forth Banks along the road which bounds the grounds called the Forth
on the south; and at the farthest corner of Forth Terrace, where there is an iron railing in a corner,
takes a south-east direction, and passing along the summit of the banks above the Close, and to the
south of White Friar Tower, enters at the head of the Tuthill Stairs, including the late Mr. Young's tile-yard.
The boundary line includes the east side of Clavering Place and the south side of Bailiff-gate. From this it
proceeds northwards, taking in the east side of King Street, the east side of the Head of the Side, Middle
Street, and Bigg Market, and then turns along the passage into the Nuns, at the Nun's Gate. At the entrance
into the Nun's Field, it runs eastward in a gentle curve (which bends to the south) until it joins the Lortburn, which, as before observed, forms its limits on the east. It includes the westernmost range of the north
division of the shops in the New Flesh Market; and then, turning to the right, passes down the middle of
the south division; after which, continuing in the line of the Lort-burn, it passes down Dean Street, the
Side, and the east end of the New Fish-market, and then joins the south line, before noticed.
Country parishes are not so ancient as those of cities. Du Pin says the latter originated before the fourth
century, and that Alexandria was first divided into parishes. Anciently, in England, every man contributed
his tithes to whatever priest or priests he pleased, or paid them into the hands of the bishop, who distributed
them to such pious purposes as his discretion directed. Camden says England was divided into parishes about
the year 630; but Seldon shews that no division of parishes existed until long after this time. The distinction
of parishes occurs in the laws of king Edgar, about the year 970, when, according to Blackstone, their boundaries were ascertained by those of a manor or manors. This parish of St. Nicholas seems to have been one of
those first foundations, which, from their vast extent, were afterwards cantoned out and subdivided as population and wealth increased. By the ancient ritual, the administration of baptism and the rite of burial
formed the distinctive mark of a church fully consecrated. Whenever the question at law was whether such
a sacred building was a church, or a chapel belonging to the mother church, the question to be tried was, as
Lord Coke informs us, merely whether it had a font and burial-place; for if it had, it was judged in law a
None of the churches within this vicarage are endowed but St. Nicholas'. The vicarage is in the gift of
the bishop of Carlisle, to whom one half of the corn-tithes belong: the other half belongs to the dean and
chapter of Carlisle.
||He was cited to reside in 1372; and, from Bishop Hatfield's register, appears to have been instituted on
the presentation of king Edward III. on account of a vacancy of the see of Carlisle. He occurs as vicar in
1378. The MS. life of Barnes, quoted by Brand, says that Wickliff, the famous reformer, "had been long
since of Newcastle upon Tyne." He was born in Yorkshire, about the beginning of the 14th century, and
died in December, 1384.
||He exchanged with R. de Thresk for the vicarage of St. Michael's, Coventry.
||He also procured this vicarage on an exchange with Glyn.
||There is a monition to reside, of this date, in Bishop Fox's register.
||He obtained a licence, which never took effect, to resign his vicarage to Nicholas Morrey, LL. B. with
a pension reserved to himself. He alienated the tithe of Cramlington for a cheese and a couple of capons, to
be tendered on the 9th of May, St. Nicholas' day, in every year, in the porch of St. Nicholas. He died in
||He was deprived in 1549, on account of his not paying his tenths to the king. In 1546, he was instituted canon of Windsor.
||He was buried in the chancel of this church August 25, 1568.
||Strype says, "One Mackbray, a Scot, an eminent exile in queen Mary's days, preached at St. Paul's
Cross in 1559." Dr. Jackson on the Creeds complains that Mackbray, Knox, and Udale, had sown their
tares in Newcastle. Magbrey died and was buried here November 16, 1584.
Knox, the celebrated reformer, after being liberated from imprisonment in the French galleys, about the
end of 1549, went to London, where he was licensed, either by Cranmer or Somerset the protector, and appointed preacher, first at Berwick, and next at Newcastle, undoubtedly in this church. In 1551, he was
summoned before Cuthbert Tonstall, bishop of Durham, for inveighing against the mass; and on Christmasday, next year, he preached with such acrimony and vehemence against the obstinacy of the Papists, as to
give great offence to Sir Robert Brandling and many others. Shortly after this, he returned to London, and
was offered a bishopric by king Edward VI. probably the new-founded one at Newcastle, which, it is said,
he indignantly rejected, as an attempt to enlist him in the cause of Antichrist. (See Cree's life of this singular man.) The following passage occurs in a letter from the Duke of Northumberland, to the two secretaries of state, dated Chelsea, 23d November, 1552:—"And forder I have thought good to putt you and so my
Lords in memory that some order be taken for Knokks, otherwyse you shall not avoyd the Scottes from out
of Newcastell, which all things consydered my thinke sholde not be forgotten." (Haynes' Burleigh's State
Papers, vol. i. p. 136.) Knox wrote an epistle to the faithful in London, in Newcastle, &c. declaring that
the death of Edward VI. had happened on account of their sins, and the sins of others. "Romæ ante castrum S. Angeli, Julii 1554," 12mo. Also, "The Copie of an Epistle sent to the Inhabitants of Newcastle
and Berwick. Geneva, 1559," 16mo. (Tanner's Bibliotheque.)
About 1589, Mr. Ephraim Udale, son of John Udale, seems also to have preached here. He was frequently
silenced and imprisoned, and at last was condemned to die for his pertinacity in promulgating the doctrines of
puritanism; but was afterwards respited, and died in the Marshalsea prison about the end of 1592. He wrote
some small religious tracts, but is most distinguished for having published the first Hebrew Grammar in
||He died, and was buried in this church, September 5, 1596. Richard, the youngest son of this celebrated preacher, reflected a glory on his native town. He was born in 1590, and, after the death of his
father, was committed to the care of the Rev. W. Pearson, a clergyman of Newcastle, who had married his
sister. Being first educated in this town, he was next, in 1607, admitted of St. John's College, Cambridge.
Three years afterwards, he took his bachelor's degree; in 1613, was chosen of his college; in 1614, made
master of arts, and incorporated at Oxford in the same degree in 1617; and, in 1620, was chosen one of the
twelve university preachers at Cambridge. He was tutor to the famous Sir Symond d'Ewes, chaplain to,
Sir Henry Hobert, lord chief justice of the common pleas, and ultimately rector of St. Peter the Poor, London. He did the duties of his rectory during the great sickness in 1625, and became a very popular preacher.
Within a very short period, he was chosen professor of divinity at Gresham College, prebendary of Lincoln,
archdeacon of Huntingdon, and lastly, notwithstanding the opposition of the court, master of Emanuel College, and doctor of divinity. In 1639, he was elected president of Zion College by the London clergy,
Though opposed by the court, when the rebellion began he was marked out as a victim of popular prejudice.
He was nominated one of the assembly of divines, but never sat amongst them. Having published the king's
declaration at York, he was obliged to leave the university, but was soon apprehended and sent to the
Tower. The catastrophe that soon befel king Charles is supposed to have shortened his life, which terminated August 29, 1669. He lived unmarried, and left his property to charitable uses. Dr. H. was of a
comely appearance; warm in his temper, but soon pacified; a great advocate for the king, and zealous in the
cause of episcopacy. The extent and variety of his learning were great, and he was a very clear and able writer.
There is a monument to his memory in the church of St. Peter the Poor, where he was buried.
||He is mentioned in St. Nicholas' register, with the title of "archdeacon of Northumberland;" and, in
the same register, 1604, he is called archdeacon of Durham. He was buried in this church, July 26, 1620.
||By the registry of burials in this church, he was buried September 3, 1623.
||He was descended from a very worthy family in the county of Durham, but had many relations who
lived in great wealth and splendour in Newcastle. William Jackson, Esq. was town-clerk in 1615; and
William Jackson, who died in 1630, was sometime sheriff. This Thomas was also designed by his parents to
be a merchant in Newcastle; but his taste for literary pursuits could not be repressed, and he was sent in
1595 to Queen's College, Oxford, and in the following year removed to Corpus-Christi. His industry was so
eminent, that he soon became distinguished for his knowledge in mathematics, philology, logic, history, philosophy, the oriental languages, &c. He also knew something of heraldry and hieroglyphics. But all his
various acquirements were made subservient to the study of divinity, in which he was so eminent as to read
a divinity lecture once a week, not only at his own college, but also at Pembroke College, at the request of
the master and fellows. As vice-president of his college, he moderated at the divinity disputes with great
candour and modesty. He commenced D. D. in 1622, after which he became vicar of Newcastle, as stated
above. Though a rigid Calvinist, he yielded the point of absolute predestination to the persuasions of Dr.
Richard Neile, bishop of Durham, who made him his chaplain, and joined with Dr. Laud in bringing him
back to his college, where h was elected president in 1630. Upon this promotion, he resigned the vicarage
of Newcastle; and, in 1635, was collated to a prebend of Winchester, having been made chaplain to the
king some time before. In 1638, he obtained the deanery of Peterborough, but did not enjoy this dignity
quite two years, being taken from it by death in 1640. He was a man of blameless life, studious, humble,
industrious, pious, and learned. As vicar of Newcastle, he performed all the duties of an excellent parishpriest; and whenever he went out, he usually gave what money he had about him to the poor, who at length
so crowded around him, that his servant took care he should not have too much in his pocket.
Dr. Jackson was a profound scholar; and his numerous works were collected and published in 1672 and
1673, in three volumes, folio. His "Commentaries on the Apostle's Creed" is considered his principal performance. His writings were much admired and studied by Bishop Horne, whose biographer gives them the
following character:—"Dr. Jackson is a magazine of theological knowledge, every where penned with great
elegance and dignity, so that his style is a pattern of perfection. His writings, once thought inestimable by
every body but the Calvinists, had been greatly neglected, and would probably have continued so, but for
the praises bestowed upon them by the celebrated Mr. Merrick, of Trinity College, Oxford, who brought
them once more into repute with many learned readers. The early extracts of Mr. Horne, which are now
remaining, shew how much information he derived from this excellent writer, who deserves to be numbered
with the English fathers of the church."—Fuller's Worthies. Ath. Ox. vol. i. Jones' Life of Bishop Horne,
||The Rev. Y. Alvey was collated to the vicarage of Eglingham in 1627. He was licensed to preach in
Newcastle by the title of A. M. of Trinity College, Oxford. Prynne, in his Hidden Works of Darkness,
calls him, "the Arminian and superstitious Vicar of Newcastle." When the Scots entered Newcastle in
1640, he fled to York, from which place he wrote a letter to the archbishop of Canterbury, dated October 16,
1640, in which he says, "I am for the present outed of all my spiritual promotions, to the yearly value of
£300, and have most of my moveable goods seized upon by the rebels, being fore'd (upon some threatning
speeches given out by them, that they would deal more rigorously with me than others) suddenly to desert
all, and to provide for the safety of my self, wife, and seven children, by a speedy flight in the night-time;
how they would have dealt with me they have since made evident, by their harsh dealing with two of my
curates, whom I left to officiate for me in my absence; who have not only been interrupted in reading divine
service; but threatn'd to be pistol'd, if they would not desist from the execution of their office: And whereas
I had lately purchased 60 pounds per annum in Northumberland, and hoped to have been supplied that way
in these calamitous times, 'till I might with safety return; they have, since I presented my petition to his
majesty, seized upon that also, and commanded my servant to be accountable to them for it: This is my case
at this time." He afterwards returned to Newcastle, where he was subjected to a variety of indignities and
sufferings, being, as Bourne informs us, pulled out of his pulpit "by two Holy Sisters, and imprisoned at
Newcastle, Holy Island, and at Norwich." In 1645, he was formally deprived of his vicarage by an ordinance of parliament. His devotion to the cause of king Charles I. exposed him to perpetual disasters, and he
at length subsisted in part by charity. He was buried in this church, March 19, 1648. His wife, who had
borne him ten children, was also interred here in 1643. He wrote a tract, intitled, "The Humble Confession and Vindication of them who suffer'd much, and still suffer, under the Name of Malignants and Delinquents," published in 1647.
||Dr. Jennison was suspended for non-conformity in 1639, but was recalled from Dantzick to occupy this
vicarage. In July, 1645, the common council appointed him Thursday's lecturer, with a salary of £100 per
annum, which, in the February following, was augmented to £140 per annum. He died November 6, 1652,
and was buried in this church on the 8th following. He wrote a book "concerning the Idolatry of the Israelites;" also, "Newcastle's Call to her Neighbour and Sister Townes and Cities throughout the Land," &c.
London, 1637, 12mo. occasioned by the pestilence. He had been suspended from a lectureship at All Saints.
||When S. Hammond received his call to Newcastle, he answered, "That he was ready with all cheerefullnesse to imbrace his call and to serve God and the towne in that great worke, findeing himself and the
people much in the hearts of one another." He was to preach every Lord's day at Nicholas' church ("Saint"
was at that time rejected as superstitious) in the forenoon, and upon every Thursday's lecture in the morning—likewise to preach upon all other solemn days, as often as occasion required. His annual salary, paid
by the common council, was £150. It is said, on the authority of Barnes' Life, that he "was a butcher's
son of York, but raised the meanness of his birth by the eminency of his qualifications. He was long of
Cambridge, afterwards he was colleague with Mr. Weld, of Gateshead." He belonged to the sect called
"The Congregational Judgement," and at the restoration refused to conform. According to Dr. Ellison's
MSS. when questioned by Bishop Cosins about his orders, he had nothing to plead but either a university or
college licence. On his ejectment, he settled at Hackney, and laid the foundation of the society there, which
has been served by so many eminent ministers.
||In an address of the ministers of Newcastle to the protector, in Thurlow's State Papers, and dated July
or August, 1657, he signs himself, "John Knightbridge, pastor of Christ at Nicholas' church in Newcastle."
||When appointed vicar, his salary was £100 per annum. By an order of the common council, January
18, 1675, the vicar's stipend from the corporation was fixed at £60 per annum, with £10 more for the
Thursday's lecture. Mr. Nailor was recommended by king Charles II. to the dean and chapter of Durham,
in 1672, to be prebendary there upon the next vacancy. He was buried in this church April 15, 1679.
||The following curious entry occurs in the common council books, July 15, 1690:—"Mr. March, vicarOrdered that Mr. Maior, &c. acquaint him his salary will be stopped, unless he pray for king William and
queen Mary by name." This salary from the corporation was £60 per annum, with £10 for his turns on
Thursday's lectures, "by the unanimous consent of the patron and others concerned in the donation." In
1682, the corporation raised this salary to £90 per annum; but on Mr. March's death, there was an order
made by the common council, "not to pay it to any future vicar, upon any pretence or account whatever."
Mr. March died December 2, 1692, and was buried in this church. There is an engraved portrait of this
vicar, and Bourne has drawn his character as follows:—"John March, B. D. was born in this town. He
was an admirable scholar, a man of strict piety, and a most powerful preacher. The last sermon he preached
was from the Epistle to the Hebrews, c. ii. ver. 3, 'How shall we escape,' &c. This was on a Sunday morning, and on the Sunday following he was buried." This sermon, with eleven more, was published in 1693,
by Dr. John Scot, author of the Christian Life, who wrote the preface to recommend them. "A Vindication
of the present great Revolution in England, in five letters, passed betwixt James Welwood, M. D. and Mr.
John March, vicar of Newcastle upon Tyne, occasioned by a sermon preached by him on January 30, 1689,
before the mayor and aldermen, for passive-obedience and non-resistance. Second edition, printed for Dorman, London." Several sermons of his were published in his life-time, viz. "The False Prophet Unmasked,
or the Wolf Stripped of his Sheep's Cloathing," preached on the 30th of January, 1683, before the mayor,
&c. and dedicated to thom. Another on the 29th of May, 1684, dedicated to the same. Also another
preached on the 30th of January, 1677, dedicated also to the mayor and magistrates of Newcastle.
||Welstead had been collated prebendary of Riccal, in York church, January 3, 1684, which he resigned
for Shillington prebend July 29, 1685. He came in to this vicarage by option, and died November 13, 1694.
He was buried in the chancel of this church.
||Dr. Ellison's salary from the town, with consent of the patron, was stated at £90. He was of Edmund's
Hall, Oxford, and from hence was chosen fellow of Corpus-Christi College. In 1678, he was made master
of arts. He was, in 1682, intitled archdeacon of Stafford. He afterwards obtained the rectory of Whitburn,
in the co. pal. of Durham, and had likewise a prebend in the cathedral of Durham, and another at Litchfield.
In 1700, he published a sermon preached before the mayor and magistrates, in this church, on the Sunday
after Michaelmas in the preceding year, intitled, "The Magistrate's Obligation to punish Vice." He also,
in 1701, printed, at London, a Sermon on Confirmation, preached before Lord Crew, bishop of Durham (who
made him his chaplain), in this church. His sermon, preached on All Saints' day, 1709, at All Saints'
church, on opening a charity-school in that parish, is a quarto pamphlet, entitled, "The Obligations and
Opportunities of doing Good to the Poor." In 1712, the mayor, recorder, and aldermen, wrote a letter of
thanks to Lord Crew, on his lordship promoting Dr. Ellison to a prebendary in Durham. He died May 4,
1721, aged 64 years, and was buried in this church. His grandson, the Rev. N. Ellison, vicar of Bolam,
was in possession of a portrait of "this excellent man and very distinguished scholar," and also of Dr. Ellison's valuable MSS. concerning the town of Newcastle, from which Mr. Brand extracted many interesting
particulars. He had also collected a valuable library, which he left to his eldest son, except a few books
which he gave to the libraries of the dean and chapter of Durham, and St. Nicholas' at Newcastle. Dr.
Ellison married Elizabeth, daughter of Anthony Isaacson, of Newcastle, gent. His daughter Elizabeth, on
the death of Sir Benjamin Rawlins, knt. his sister Alice's son, received £140,000 of personal property,
which she wisely and generously divided equally among fourteen nephews and neices.
||Mr. Bradford was 25 years of age, when inducted to this vicarage by his father, Samuel, bishop of Carlisle. He was of Bennet College, Cambridge. Before his induction here, he married Mrs. Ann Barnes.
Being lame in one of his legs, he had a halt in walking. He died of a fever, at Bromley in Kent, July 15,
1728, in the 32d year of his age, and immediately after he had been preferred to the archdeaconry of Rochester. He was buried in Westminster Abbey. Bourne says, "He was universally beloved, being a man
of great humanity and condescension, and of an open generous temper, and very much lamented at his death,
on account of these and many other good qualities."
||The Rev. T. Turner was of St. John's College, Cambridge, and had been curate of Walkern in Hertfordshire. He obtained this vicarage by option, having been presented by the executors of Sir William
Dawes, archbishop of York. He died June 1, 1760, in the 57th year of his age, and was buried in this
church. Martha, his wife, was also buried here September 22, 1771, aged 74 years. He published two
sermons; one preached before the sons of the clergy September 6, 1731; the other a public fast sermon,
preached December 18, 1745.
||Dr. Brown was a native of Rothbury, where his father was curate. In 1732, he entered St. John's
College, Cambridge, and three years afterwards took the degree of B. A. Shortly after, he became a minor
canon at Carlisle, which he resigned, and in 1739 took his degree of M. A. At the siege of Carlisle, in
1745, he behaved with great intrepidity, which, with the sermons he preached on the rebellion, attracted the
notice of Dr. Osbaldeston, who, when raised to the bishopric of Carlisle, made him one of his chaplains, and
procured him the living of Moreland in Westmoreland. He now began to figure as an acute controversialist,
an elegant satirist, and a successful dramatist. Being introduced to the most celebrated scholars of that
time, the Earl of Hardwicke procured him the living of Great Horkesley in Essex. In 1755, he took his
degree of D. D. and two years after published his famous work, "An Estimate of the Manners and Principles of the Times." But, though his writings were highly applauded, yet the vicarage of Newcastle, and a
chaplainship in ordinary to his late majesty, were all the preferments he ever received. While preparing in
London for his journey to Russia, being invited by the empress to frame a new code of laws for that great
empire, his progress was arrested by a severe attack of the gout and rheumatism. This disappointment induced a dejection of spirits, under which he committed suicide at his lodgings in Pall Mall, September 23,
1766, in his 51st year. Besides being an elegant poet and prose writer, he was also a skilful musician and
an able painter.—See Hist. of Northumb. vol. ii. p. 76.
||Dr. Fawcett was son of John Fawcett, Esq. recorder of Durham, and was educated at the grammarschool of that city, and afterwards became fellow of Corpus-Christi, Oxford, where he became A. M. February 7, 1737; B. D. on April 29, 1745; and D. D. November 17, 1748. He was rector of Ingelstree and
Church Eyton in the county of Stafford, one of the king's chaplains in ordinary, and also chaplain to John
Lord Bishop of Durham, by whom he was collated in 1772 to the rectory of Gateshead, which he held, by a
dispensation, with this vicarage. In July, 1778, he was made a prebend of Durham, where, at his house in
the College, he died April 29, 1782, and was interred in the cathedral.
||Dr. Law, son of the bishop of Carlisle, was appointed, on the death of Dr. Fawcett, to the vicarage of
Newcastle, but was never inducted, as he was then in Ireland, attending as chaplain to the Duke of Portland, where, having been promoted to the see of Clonfort, James Stephen Lushington, A. M. his brother-inlaw, was nominated to this vicarage, and inducted Saturday, August 10, 1782. He had been fellow of Peter
House, where he obtained the degree of B. A. in 1756, and of M. A. in 1759. He was in the commission
of the peace for Northumberland. He died June 17, 1801, and was buried in this church.
||The Rev. J. D. Carlyle died at the vicarage in the 45th year of his age. He was educated at Queen's
College, Cambridge, where he became B. A. in 1779, and B. D. in 1793. He was sometime fellow of that
society, and was chosen Arabic professor on the resignation of Dr. Craven in 1795, in which year he also
succeeded Dr. Paley as chancellor of the diocese of Carlisle. He accompanied Lord Elgin to Constantinople
in 1799 as chaplain to the embassy, and for obtaining access to the library of the seraglio. Besides holding
this vicarage, he was chaplain to the late bishop of Durham, by whom he was highly esteemed for his
eminent abilities, distinguished learning, taste, and genuine goodness of heart. He was also F. R. S. E.
The work of Jemaleddin, a valuable addition to Arabic literature, in 4to. appeared in 1792. His Specimens
of Arabic Poetry, with the originals prefixed, in a beautiful Arabic character, was published in 1796. He
also wrote a Dissertation on the Troad, and Observations made during his tour through Lesser Asia, Syria,
and Egypt; but his great and favourite project was the giving of a complete edition of the New Testament
in Greek, which was to contain the various readings of Mill, Bergelius, Wetsteir, Griesbach, and Matthai,
and also of more than thirty manuscripts, which he had obtained during his residence and travels in the
Turkish Empire; together with a new and accurate collation of the Syrian and other ancient versions.
He had undertaken, at the request of a respectable society, to superintend the printing of a correct edition
of the Old and New Testament in Arabic. On his lamented death, this difficult task was committed to the
Rev. E. Moises, of Newcastle, who, after correcting the sheets, as printed in the office of the late Mrs. Sarah
Hodgson, sent them for revisal to Dr. Ford. This work was completed in a very elegant manner in the year
1811. Immediately after Mr. Carlyle's return to England in 1801, the first symptoms of that disease which
terminated in his death began to appear. Those few friends who had the happiness to visit him during his
illness at the vicarage, were charmed with the extent of his acquirements and the vivacity of his conversation.
His poems, written abroad, were published by his sister, in one volume 4to. in 1815.
||John Smith was a native of Yorkshire. When only 13 years of age, he was admitted second boy into St.
Peters' College, Westminister. In 1785, he was elected to Trinity College, Cambridge, and a member of
the Senate. Here he took his degree of A. M. He was appointed usher of Westminster School in 1788,
under the Rev. Dr. Vincent: which arduous situation he resigned in 1805. He was much esteemed by many
eminent characters, for his classical attainments and extensive erudition; while his pupils entertained for him
sentiments of respect and affection. In 1799, he was appointed curate of Silkstone, in Yorkshire; but when
inducted to this vicarage, he devoted himself solely to the duties of his cure. He was kind and hospitable,
and though firmly attached to the existing establishment of church and state, yet, during a period of great
popular excitement, he acted with uncommon temper and prudence. His private charities were numerous;
and to the public charities of the town, he was a liberal benefactor, and promoted many of them by the most
vigilant attention and unceasing exertion. Indeed he did not "appear to seek his own;" and when in 1823
a cry was raised against the legality of paying Easter Offerings, he very honourably and disinterestedly suspended their collection, within the vicarage of Newcastle, until the question should be argued and decided
in a court of law. Thus, though living in a town abounding with Dissenters, yet his fair and conciliating
manners gained him the applause of all parties. After a severe and painful illness, he died on January 22,
1826, in his 61st year. On Wednesday, the 1st of February, he was interred in a vault at the entrance into
St. Nicholas' Library, with every token of respect from the inhabitants. As soon as the funeral cortege left
the vicarage, it was joined by a body of above 200 gentlemen, who had voluntarily assembled to pay the last
earthly honours to the remains of their beloved vicar. The boys and girls of St. Nicholas' charity-schools, whose
welfare he had always been anxious to promote, also joined in the mournful procession, which passed through an
immense concourse of spectators. The funeral service at the church, was read by two of the vicar's esteemed
friends, the Rev. H. D. Griffith, and the Rev. Robert Green. The late vicar's salary from the corporation
was £40 per annum, with £5 for his lecturer's sermons. His generous disposition, no doubt, lessened his
income considerably; and he is not understood to have left much property, except his furniture, pictures,
and books, all of which were selected with great taste and judgment. At the sale of these articles, the books
and book-cases produced £853, 12s. 10d.; the prints, £186, 13s.; and the furniture, &c. £1324, 3s. 3d.;
making a total of £2364, 9s. 1d.
||The Rev. J. Dodd, domestic chaplain to the Earl of Galloway, and vicar of Wigton, in the diocese of
Carlisle and county of Cumberland, was first offered this vicarage by the bishop of Carlisle in the end of February, 1826. This living had been previously refused by the bishop's son-in-law, the Rev. Mr. Lynn.
||St. Nicholas' register, November 1, 1604; also May, 1604. Randall's MSS. from a MS. of Dr. Hunter, "written soon after the civil wars," say, "It appears that Peirson, lecturer of this church about the year
1606, was paid quarterly a salary out of the town of Newcastle, and likewise for several years after during
his continuance." (See also lecturers of the other churches.) "The salaries were not one and the same,
but added and increased as the town thought fit. Upon this first settlement they had those salaries out of
the town for preaching in the forenoon, and the parish did contribute for their preaching in the afternoons.
Some time after the town of Newcastle made an addition to the former salaries, and gave them an allowance
for preaching both forenoon and afternoon; upon which augmentation the parishes gave no farther contribution. In this state have the lectureships continued ever since, with an alteration still of salaries, more or
less as there was occasion, and at the will and pleasure of the patrons. And when any vacancy happened in
any of the churches of the town, the mayor, aldermen and common-council of Newcastle from time to time
have chosen another in such room and stead; and the bishop of Durham for the time being did always
hitherto allow and approve of, by licence, such person so chosen, being duly qualified.—Note, the lecturers
of St. Nicholas' and All Saints' have this further advantage in it, which makes it the more valuable, that
this preferment does no-ways disqualify or incapacitate them from holding other livings with the cure of
souls." Quere, is not the case the same with the lecturers of St. John's and St. Andrew's ?
||Dr. Wishart or Wiseheart was born in East Lothian in 1609, and educated in the university of Edinburgh, where he took his degrees, and entered into holy orders. He became minister of North Leith, but
was deposed in 1638, for refusing to take the Covenant, and was also imprisoned for his loyalty in the nastiest part of the Tolbooth at Edinburgh, called the Thieves' Hole. On his release, he came to Newcastle;
and, within five weeks after his appointment to this lectureship, he was declared unfit to hold it by the
house of commons. On this he returned to Scotland, and accompanied the gallant Marquis of Montrose as his
chaplain. On the defeat of the loyalists in 1645, he was taken prisoner; but his amiable character disarmed
the fury of the Covenanters, and he escaped death. He then went abroad, and became chaplain to Elizabeth
queen of Bohemia, sister of Charles I. with whom he came over into England in 1660, to visit her royal nephew, Charles II. Dr. Wishart immediately became minister of St. Andrew's, and soon after resumed his
lectureship. Upon the restoration of episcopacy in Scotland, he was consecrated bishop of Edinburgh June 1,
1662, in which station he evinced much generosity and charity. He saved many persons from death; and,
having been a prisoner himself, he was always careful at dinner to send the first dish from his table to the
prisoners. He died in 1671, and was buried in the abbey of Holyrood House, under a magnificent tomb,
with a long Latin inscription. He wrote the History of the War in Scotland under the conduct of the Marquis of Montrose, in elegant Latin, and of which several translations have been given.
||"Mr. Durant was not the wash-ball maker mentioned by Edwards in his Gangrena, but had university
education, and was bred up in Exeter College, and took one, if not more degrees there; but he was in no
orders."—Ellison's MSS. quoted by Brand.
Sydenham, according to Wood in his Athenæ, became lecturer of St. Nicholas' church without any orders
except those of a presbytery. He was a great statesman—a greater divine. "He was no commissioner, yet
was very inwardly employed in drawing up the papers that passed in the debates between the five dissenting
brethren and the synod of Westminster." In Barnes' life, so often quoted, it is said that "he was of an ancient Cornish family, of St. Alban Hall, Oxon, where he continued till that city was garrisoned for the king.
A genteel comely personage. His aquiline nose called to remembrance the description given by scornful
Lucian of St. Paul, when he calls him that hawk-nosed Galilean, who mounted up to the third heaven, and
thence fetched those goodly notions which he preached to the world.—He published a book entitled, The
Mystery of Godliness." There is a print of him prefixed to that work.—See Granger's Biographical History.
||He is called "of the Presbyterian Judgement," and was appointed to preach here every Lord's Day in
the afternoon, and once a month in the forenoon, at the monthly sacraments, with a salary of £150 per annum. At the end of the first year, he removed into Lancashire.
||He received a "Call" from the elders and others of Nicholas', and had also a salary of £150 per annum.
||On the death of Mr. Bewick, the corporation reduced the lecturer's salary to £80; but in 1674 it was
advanced to £90 per annum.
||Mr. March, mentioned before amongst the vicars, was a Conformist, and obtained this lectureship on the
removal of Mr. Mair to All Saints'. His portrait was in the possession of the late Hugh Hornby, Esq. of
||Mr. Rawlett's salary at first was £90 per annum, but was in 1682 raised to £120 per annum. He died
September 28, 1686, aged 44 years, and was buried in this church. The following anecdote is related of this
person:—"Mr. Butler left a daughter, who married Mr. John Rawlett, a conformist minister—a devout and
laborious lecturer of St. Nicholas' church. They had been some time in love together, but he falling sick (at
her request, and that she might bear his name), married her upon his death-bed, and left her both a maid, a
wife, and a widow." He was author of the following works:—1. "A Treatise of Sacramental Covenanting
with Christ," &c. 2. "An Explication of the Creed," &c. 3. "A Dialogue betwixt two Protestants," &c.
4. "The Christian Monitor," &c. With poetic miscellanies. Gyll mentions an original picture of Mr. Rawlett, drawn by Sir Peter Lely, which he saw at the parsonage-house at Lanchester, in the county of Durham.
"He was," says Bourne, "a very pious and charitable man. He seem'd to have imitated the example of
Onesiphorus to St. Paul, in making it his business to find out the sick and needy, that he might have the
pleasure and happiness of assisting them. 'For he sought them out very diligently and found them,' and
therefore 'the Lord will shew mercy unto him in that day.'"
||He was son to Thomas Davison, Esq. alderman of Newcastle, and had a salary of £120 per annum,
Being a Nonjuror, he resigned his lectureship.
||He had been collated sub-dean of York October 9, 1680. He died April 26, 1695.
||On a marble tablet, on the north chancel wall of Whickham church, is the following inscription:—
"Under this monument lies the body of Rob. Thomlinson, D. D. prebendary of St. Paul's, Lond. rector of
this parish 36 years, and sometime lecturer of St. Nicholas in Newcastle upon Tine. He died 24th of March,
1747, aged 79 years. Reader, if thou wouldst know the character of ye deceased, learn it from the following
account of his pious munificence and charity.
"Dr. Thomlinson built and endowed ye charity school for this parish at his own expense, save £100 left
by Mrs. Blakiston for that purpose. He also built a chapel at Allonby in Cumberd and a school-house
there, and gave to procure the queen's bounty to ye said chapel £200; to the Col. of Matrons at Wigton in
Cumb. £600; to the charity-school there, £100; to Queen's College in Oxfd. £100; to Edmund Hall
there, £200; and left by his will to ye the societies for propagating ye Gospel, £500; for propagating
Christian knowl. £100; for working schools in Ireland, £100. He also bequeathed his library, a large and
valuable collection of books in all kinds of literature, to the corporation of Newcastle, for public use, with a
rent-charge of £5 a year for ever, as a fund for buying new books."
||Dr. Thomlinson was paid £120 per annum by the corporation. Seventeen years after his appointment
to this lectureship, he became rector of Whickham; and, at the end of twenty-nine years, Mr. Dockwray,
when licensed his successor to this lectureship, was to have £70 per annum during the life of Dr. Thomlinson, and £30 per annum additional afterwards. On March 7, 1724, Mr. Joseph Carr was appointed holiday
preacher at this church, with a salary of £20 per annum.
||Thomas Dockwray was fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge, where he took his degree of D. D. His
salary was £100 per annum; to which was added, March 26, 1753, the sum of £20 per annum for the holiday lecture. He was inducted into the vicarage of Stamfordham in December, 1761. He published a sermon preached at St. Nicholas' church, before the governors of the Infirmary of Newcastle, June 26, 1754, to
which is added an account of the rise, progress, and present state of that establishment. Dr. Dockwray died
Sunday December 14, 1783.
||Dr. Ridley was the fifth son of Matthew Ridley, Esq. who died April 6, 1778, by his second wife Elizabeth (who died May 4, 1764), eldest daughter and sole heiress of Matthew White, Esq.: he was thus brother to the late, and uncle to the present Sir M. W. Ridley, Bart. He received his clerical education at
University College, Oxford, where he proceeded M. A. June 12, 1776, and B. and D. D. grand compounder
June 3, 1802. In 1804, he was elected one of the prebendaries of Gloucester; and in the following year, his
late majesty presented him to the living of Kirby Underdale, co. York In 1817, the king, as Duke of Lancaster, presented him to the livings of St. Andrew cum St. Mary, Hertford. He was also rector of Hertingfordbury, one of his majesty's justices of the peace for the counties of Herts and Gloucester, and master of
St. Mary Magdalen's hospital in Newcastle. He married Frances, daughter of Aubone Surtees, Esq. of this
town, sister to Elizabeth Lady Eldon. Dr. Ridley died at Hertingfordbury October 11, 1825, aged 72 years.
||"Died, March 4, 1824, at his house, in the Bailey, Durham, aged 55, the Rev. James Blackburn, A. M.
rector of Romuldkirk, in the county of York, and vicar of Gainford, in the county of Durham; heretofore a
fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge, and lecturer of the church of St. Nicholas, in this town. The integrity, the kindness and courteousness of disposition and manners, the literary acquirements, and the extensive
but unostentatious charities of this gentleman, will cause his decease to be not more deeply regretted by the
poor, than by those who had the happiness of his acquaintance and friendship."—Newcastle Courant.
||The vicar's curate is styled in ancient writings, "The Parish Priest." He receives from the crown
£6, 16s. 8d. per annum, and surplice fees; and, in Brand's time, £4 per annum from the vicar, and £46
from the corporation. The same sum is still paid by the town, including a gratuity of £5.
||Three years before this time, a Cuthbert Stote is mentioned, probably the same person.
||Supposed to have been uncle to the famous Mary Astell. He was suspended for bad behaviour December 17, 1677.
||He was afterwards vicar of Bedlington, and famous for his knowledge of the Greek language.
||Mr. Fenwick's salary was £35 per annum. He was afterwards vicar of Long-Newton in the county of
||He was son of Cuthbert Cowling, of Richmond in Yorkshire, and was educated at Peter House, Cambridge. He was compelled to vacate a vicarage he held in Yorkshire, on being appointed to this curacy.