THE NEW CHURCH.
The act for pulling down and rebuilding the church of All Saints, in Newcastle
upon Tyne, received the royal assent the 27th of June. 1786. (fn. 1) The building committee had, in the mean time, advertised for plans for the new church, which was intended to accommodate fifteen hundred persons with convenient seats. Several architects presented plans; but the competition lay between Mr. David Stephenson of
Newcastle, and Mr. Harrison of Lancaster. At length, the preference was unanimously
given to that of Mr. D. Stephenson, who, at the same time, was appointed architect,
to superintend the execution of his design. Mr. Harrison's plan was a semicircle, a
form, in some respects, possessed of peculiar advantages, but which were also, in a
great measure, attached to the adopted plan. The chord line formed the south front,
and was adorned with a handsome Doric portico, similar to the one which superseded
the original design of Mr. Stephenson, which was a colonnade of coupled Ionic columns along the south front: the great expense of this elegant design prevented its
All the necessary arrangements being made, the foundation-stone of the new
building was laid by the Rev. James Stephen Lushington, A.M. vicar of Newcastle,
on Monday the 14th of August, 1786. In the stone was deposited a brass plate,
bearing the following inscription:—
"Ut omnipotentis Dei cultus decorus
et Christi humani generis salvatoris
Evangelium floreant et augeant,
hoc primum saxum ædis sacræ novæ
(antiqua omnino collapsura)
a Jacobo Stephano Lushington
Novi Castri vicario ponitur
nono decimo kalendarum Septembris,
et in milissimo septingessimo
octo gesimo sexto anno salutis;
Davide Stephenson architecto."
A gentleman then present paid into the hands of one of the church-wardens ten
guineas, which, with the exception of a donation from Mrs. White of twenty guineas, and one afterwards made by Mrs. Atlee, was the only donation received by the
trustees towards defraying the expenses of the erection of this structure, which was
done by an assessment of two shillings in the pound per annum, paid equally by the
landlords and tenants of property in the parish.
While the question was discussing whether the pews of the new church should be
constructed of mahogany or oak, Mrs. Atlee, in a letter addressed to Alderman H.
Hornby, one of the trustees, dated February 16, 1787, observed, "that as mahogany
was both more durable and ornamental than oak, and understanding that the difference of price only amounted to about £100, she proposed to give that sum as soon
as the wood work was begun." This generous proposal was not less acceptable to
the trustees, than creditable to the worthy donor, to whom the thanks of the trustees
were immediately conveyed, with an intimation that they would gladly avail themselves of her munificent benefaction. Mr. Thomas Thompson contracted to execute
the masonry of the new church, and Mr. Peter Paxton the carpentry. The work
was prosecuted with such diligence, that the roof was placed on the church in November. 1787. That part of the tower which rises from the balustrades of the
church, and forms the belfry, was commenced in May, 1788, and was completed, up
to the diminution below the clock, in June, 1789. The superstructure was then intended to have been very different from that which was ultimately adopted, being a
plain octagonal tower, of uniform width, rising from the arch on which the clock
tower now stands, to the height of 37½ feet, and terminating with a semicircular
dome, 12 feet in diameter, making a total height of 143 feet from the ground. Its
tame and spiritless appearance, however, happily caused its rejection, though not
until proposals for its erection had been delivered and accepted. A model of the
present handsome and superior design was exhibited to the trustees in August, 1790,
and finally adopted by them on the 12th of September following.
The ceiling of the church was chiefly executed during the summer of 1788, and
completed in the spring of the following year, by Messrs. William Burnup and John
Stokald, whose proposals were accepted May 19, 1788. The stair-case leading from
the west door to the gallery was also erected about the same time.
In September, 1789, forty-three pews, containing 283 seats, in the new edifice,
were sold for £2061, 19s. to freehold proprietors in the parish, to be annexed to their
property for ever.
On Monday, November 16, 1789, the Right Rev. Thomas Thurlow, Lord Bishop
of Durham, arrived in Newcastle, and was entertained at the Mansion House by the
Right Worshipful Hugh Hornby, Esq. mayor, and one of the trustees for building
the new church of All Saints, the consecration of which took place on the following
day. At eleven o'clock, his lordship proceeded to the edifice, where the usual prayers
of consecration were read with great solemnity, and an excellent sermon preached on
the occasion, by the Rev. Hugh Moises, A. M. rector of Greystock, and morning
lecturer of All Saints', from Leviticus, chapter xix. ver. 30, "Ye shall keep my Sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary. I am the Lord." After divine service, the Right
Worshipful the Mayor gave a grand entertainment to the bishop. the clergy then in
town, the trustees for building the church, the church-wardens, and a number of
The erection of this structure was completed in 1796, ten years after its commencement, by placing the top stone of the spire, on October 21. in that year. The
expenses attendant on its completion cannot be exactly ascertained, from the variety
of disbursements unconnected with the new building. £1617 were expended in
the purchase of houses, for the enlargement of the church-yard; £190, 9s. 8d. for
pulling down the old church: £928, 10s. 8d. for salaries, printing, and other incidental expenses. The organ and other ornaments cost £634. 3s. Repairing churchyard walls, and other charges unconnected with the building of the church, £1609,
9s. 3d, These particulars are from a paper in the hand-writing of Malin Sorsbie,
Esq. one of the trustees: and in a paper in the possession of Mr. Thomas Milner,
one of the trustees, the following items are mentioned:—David Stephenson, architeet, for his plans and attendance. £300. Peter Paxton, for roof. £240. Ditto, for
inside work, £766. Mr. Thompson, stone-mason, £3282. Mr. Peacock, for smithwork £309. Timber, £900. Composition window-frames. £294, 19s. Erection of
a wall at the east side of the church-yard, £400. The total amount, in 1789, was
£21, 629, 19s. 8d. exclusive of the cost of the upper part of the steeple, the erection
of which, with other expenses of inclosing the church-yard, and finishing the interior, is stated to have increased the total amount to about £ 27,000, which is generallyconsidered to be the entire cost of this elegant structure.
On Thursday, January 8, 1802, about one o'clock in the morning, about thirty
yards of the high wall of the church-yard fell down into Silver Street, with a tremendous crash, exposing to view many coffins and vast quantities of human bones.
The house of Mr. John Stokoe was greatly injured, the repairs of which, with the
erection of a new wall, and other incidental expenses, amounted to £249, 12s. 1d.
On December 16th, 1814, during a destructive hurricane, which commenced in
the morning, and continued with great violence during the day, part of the parapet
wall, which surrounds the roof of the church, was blown into Silver Street. About
the same time also, the under sash of one of the gallery windows, immediately west
of the steeple, was forced out of its place, and being carried, by the force of the wind,
over the gallery, without touching any part of it, fell on the pews, in the centre of
the ground-floor. The expense of rebuilding the battlement, with some other repairs made at the time, amounted to £130.
In 1816, in consequence of the top stone being inclined considerably out of its
place, and to effect some other repairs which were deemed necessary, a scaffold was
erected from the upper lantern to the top of the steeple, when many persons availed
themselves of the opportunity of visiting this elevated situation. The vane was
taken down and re-gilt; and the brass plate, formerly placed on the top stone, was
renewed. (fn. 2) The walls were also pointed with Roman cement; and the oak cross
beams, above the clock-room, having decayed, were strengthened by strong iron
plates, firmly screwed around them. This necessary repair was under the direction
of Mr. John Dobson, architect. It was, indeed, extremely fortunate that the state
of these timbers was discovered at this time, or the most serious consequences might
have ensued. The interior of the church, at the same time, was cleaned, and the
This church stands on the summit of a steep bank, which rises abruptly from the
river Tyne. On three sides the scite is considerably elevated, which would add
much to the general view of the structure were it less obstructed by dwelling-houses.
It consists of an ellipse, the conjugate and transverse diameters of which are 86 feet
and 72 feet; the former extending nearly in the direction of a true meridian line.
At the south end is the square tower, or base of the steeple, forming the vestibule;
adjoining which, on each side, are uniform wings: that on the west side containing
a chapel, appropriated for morning prayer, and the services of baptism and burial;
the other, on the east side, forms a spacious vestry room. The south front of the
church consists of the base of the steeple, with a Doric portico in front, and the
wings above-mentioned extending on each side: above, there is seen the elliptic body
of the church, receding from the farther side of the steeple: and the view, in this
direction, terminates in two circular projections, which respectively form the west
entrance and the chancel.
"From a large iron gate, the handsome stone pillars of which have been lately renewed, a broad flagged path extends to the entrance of the cemetery. From this
path, a stone staircase, 30 feet wide, forming a noble ascent of 12 steps, leads to the
south or principal entrance of the church. The portico in front of this consists of
four stately fluted columns, of the Doric order, supporting a pediment, the entablature of which is enriched with dentils, and contains the tryglyphs and other decorations peculiar to the order. The proportions are selected from the beautiful Roman
architecture of the ancient theatre of Marcellus. The apex of the pediment is surmounted with a large stone vase, and the whole forms a splendid ornament to the
exterior of the church. Corresponding to the columns of the portico are pilasters on
the base of the steeple, between which is the principal door of the church. The intervening spaces of the walls are rusticated.
"The wings on each side are exactly uniform, and are enriched with numerous
architectural decorations. In the centre of each is a window of considerable size,
divided into three compartments by stone mullions, adorned with Ionic pilasters,
supporting a fluted frize. Above this, the upper part of the window forms a circular
segment, from which, on the walls, diverge radiating bars of rusticated work. On
each side of the windows, from plain pedestals and attic bases, rise handsome coupled
pilasters, of the Ionic order, the capitals of which present a fine specimen of the grace
and freedom of ancient architecture. The cornice is adorned with dentils and small
beads, and continues quite round the church, forming a distinction between the
upper and lower divisions of the building.
"From the Doric portico rises the steeple, the elevated spire of which forms so
prominent an object from the neighbourhood of the town. The height and numerous enrichments of this structure justly excite the admiration of the stranger, who,
after contemplating the venerable memorial of past ages presented by St. Nicholas'
steeple, turns with pleasure to observe so fair a monument of the taste and munificence of modern times.
"All Saints' steeple consists of a square tower, 96½ feet in height, from which
rises a succession of stages, which terminate in a light and elegant spire, surmounted
by a large gilt vane. At the lower part of the tower, and immediately above the
Doric portico, are large windows on three sides. They are similar in size and form
to those of the wings below; and the frize. which is fluted, continues round the
whole of the edifice. Above this is a cornice and pediment of very commanding
appearance, enriched with large modillions and pateras. This beautiful cornice continues round the church, and contains a line of small beads. which has a very chaste
and delicate effect. The pedestal, on the south side of the steeple, supports a handsome fluted urn. Above these are the semicircular windows of the belfry: they are
considered much too small for the emission of the sound of the bells and chimes,
which, by that means, is deprived of much of the clearness and strength it would
otherwise possess. At a short distance above these windows, a bold projecting
moulding, with large modillions, forms a happy relief to those below, and greatly
contributes to the beauty of the tower, which terminates a few feet above, and is
ornamented at the corners with four large and beautiful vases.
"The summit of this tower is formed by a very strong vaulted roof, which supports the clock tower, each of the four sides of which contains a large painted dial,
by which the hour of the day may be seen at a considerable distance. The upper
part of the tower is lighted by four large glazed windows, which, on public rejoicings, have been occasionally illuminated; and, owing to their size and elevation, they
produce a very novel and brilliant effect. The cornice at the upper part is supported
by coupled columns, rising from pedestals on each side of the dials, and surmounted
at each corner with a large vase. Rising from the summit of this tower is the lower
lantern, which is the first open stage: it is surrounded with a handsome circular balustrade. The floor of this stage is covered with lead; and in the middle is a trap
door, communicating with a staircase in the interior of the steeple, by which convenient access may be had to this elevated situation.
"From the lower lantern four strong square pillars arise, and support the upper
lantern, which has four open windows, with columns on each side, rising from the
balustrades; and at each corner are large Tuscan columns, the entablature of which
extends round the steeple, and terminates the square of this light and elegant lantern,
from the roof of which rises an octagonal spire, the base of which is surrounded with
a wavy embrasure, and, at the height of twenty-eight feet, terminates with a large
projecting stone, in which is deposited a brass plate, bearing the following inscription:
'Ecclesia haec nova
Sanctus Omnibus sacra
die duodecimo kalendas Novembris.
A. D. MDCCXCVI.
Davide Stephenson Armigero Architecto
Samuele Lawton Armigero Thesaurario
Thoma Thompson Lapicida.'
"On the reverse,—
'This spire was repaired June, 1816.
Robert Oliver.||Matthew Wheatley.|
|Thomas Coulson.||John Coulson.|
"From the centre of the top stone rises an iron spindle, supporting a large gilt
vane, which terminates the steeple, at a height of 202 feet from the ground. (fn. 3)
"The appearance of the church from the south-east corner of the cemetery well
deserves the attention of the observer, as the united mass of building is here exposed
to view, while the numerous decorations of its walls are sufficiently near to be seen
to advantage. The end of the Doric portico and its stately pillars, seen in perspective, have a commanding effect. The side of the vestry, continuing from the south
front of the east wing, is adorned with a colonnade of coupled Ionic pilasters, between which are large windows, similar to those on the south side. The whole of
the remainder of the walls is beautified with rusticated work. The circular projection of the chancel commences at the north extremity of this wing, and contains
three large windows, with circular arched tops: these are separated by single Ionic
columns, corresponding to those of the wing, and which continue to divide the windows of the basement story at the north end of the church. Above the windows of
the chancel are handsome balustrades, over which are pannels containing very rich
ornaments cut in stone. The gallery windows rise from balustrades, and continue
round the body of the church, the curvature of which is remarkably elegant. A
beautiful frize and moulding, with large modillions, continues round the upper part
of the building, and are surmounted by a parapet wall with open balustrades, the
alternate pillars of which are ornamented with stone vases, &c.
"The west entrance is formed by a circular projection corresponding to that of the
chancel. This beautiful piece of architecture presents a composition of the Ionic and
Doric orders, arranged with a delicacy and symmetry truly admirable. The door is
enriched with fluted Doric columns, which, with the entablature, are included between Ionic pilasters similar to those already described. The passage to this entrance
is by a terrace and descent of twelve steps, leading from an iron gate, with rusticated
pillars, in Silver Street.
"From the Doric portico at the south front of the church, á stately door of oak
opens into a lofty vestibule of circular form, having a noble vaulted roof, supported
by eight coupled Ionic pilasters, the capitals of which are finely executed in the Grecian style, and enriched with the chaste and elegant decorations peculiar to the order.
The upper part of the frize is adorned with carved foliage work, supporting a cornice, which, by its projection, has a bold effect. The planceer is ornamented with
seven leafed pateræ, which, being directly exposed to view, greatly add to the appearance of the cornice. These decorations continue round the vestibule, and by
their whiteness form a chaste contrast to the stone colour of the walls.
"Immediately opposite the principal entrance are handsome mahogany folding
doors, leading into the interior of the church. On the left is a corresponding entrance to the morning prayer chapel; and, on the right, uniformity is preserved by
the door of the vestry. On entering the interior of the church from the vestibule,
the spectator is pleased and surprised by the union of elegance and convenience exhibited throughout the whole of its decorations and arrangement. The beautiful
curvature of the pews, the fine perspective of the columns which support the gallery, the chaste and elegant ornaments of the chancel, and the numerous windows
here presented to the view, combine in producing an effect rarely equalled in ecclesiastical structures of modern date. On advancing further into the church, new
objects of admiration present themselves, especially the ceiling, which, by its extent
and beauty, commands the attention of every observer.
"From this principal entrance, an aisle of considerable width, flagged with large
stones, descends by four steps to the level of the area or central part of the church,
and continues along three sides of the fourteen pews which form the auditory of this
part. The back and front of these pews are curved: the latter is separated from the
chancel by an aisle, the floor of which is boarded and raised a few inches above the
other aisles, from which it is separated at each end by small gates of mahogany rails.
A spacious communication is thus formed with the principal parts of the church; the
aisles in the centre containing numerous free sittings for the accommodation of the
public. At the north end a floored aisle ascends by four steps to a passage extending nearly round the church, in which also are free sittings for the public. From
this latter passage two aisles descend, and communicate with all the pews on the
west side of the church. Here a recess is formed by an arched canopy of considerable height, the lower part of which is occupied by a staircase, rarely equalled for
beauty and ingenuity. Two handsome folding doors, and a beautifully curved
screen of mahogany, conceal the small vestibule or west entrance, from which the
stairs ascend on each side by the circular walls of the recess, and, after meeting in
the centre, again diverge to the walls, and enter the gallery on each side of the organ,
which occupies the upper part of the recess. The staircase is lighted, at the meeting
in the centre, by a handsome arched window, with fancy bars of cast iron, and which,
on the exterior, forms the upper part or fan-light of the west or gallery door.
"On the east side of the church, a recess, similar to that which has now been described, forms parts of the chancel, and occupies a considerable portion of the space
between the ends of the gallery, which terminate at this side of the church, 30 feet
asunder. A mahogany pannelling, which continues quite round the church, of a
uniform height with the pews at the west side, is here, owing to the descent of the
aisles, considerably higher; and part of it forms a door, from which a passage communicates with the vestry. The chancel is separated by handsome mahogany rails
from the front aisle of the area, above which it is raised one step, which, on the outside of the rails, forms a kneeling board for the communicants in the sacrament, and
at other times, during divine service, a seat for the female scholars of the charity-school of the parish; an ornament more truly becoming a Christian church than all
the profuse and magnificent decorations of art.
"Inclosed by these rails is the communion table, being a fine marble slab, supported on a mahogany frame, handsomely carved, and covered with crimson velvet.
Immediately behind this, and considerably elevated, is the reading desk, from the
front of which a screen of mahogany pannelling descends uniformly on each side,
and continuing beyond the recess of the chancel, terminates by forming the fronts of
two commodious pews: that on the south side immediately adjoins the door leading
to the vestry, and is thus conveniently situated for the use of the clergymen, to
whom it is appropriated: the other, on the north side, is reserved for the accommodation of the church-wardens. From these pews a handsome staircase ascends uniformly on each side to the pulpit, which is placed against the wall, immediately
behind the reading desk. It is of mahogany, the corners enriched with carved
foliage, and the upper part surrounded with a handsome frize. It is surmounted by
an octagonal sounding board of mahogany, the appearance of which is heavy, in proportion to the general lightness and elegance which prevail. On each side of the
pulpit, and contained within the circular arch of the recess, is a large window. The
whole is included between four elegant fluted columns of the Corinthian order, forming a colonnade, terminated at each end by a corresponding pilaster. The rich foliage of the capitals is beautifully executed,' the entablature is enriched with dentils,
and from it springs the arched canopy of the recess, divided into pannels by ribs
springing from each column.
"The gallery is uncommonly spacious, containing sixty pews, besides the organ,
and numerous accommodations for the children of the charity and Sunday schools,
which adjoin the walls. An aisle extends on each side, from the staircase, along the
top of the gallery, from which access is gained to the whole of the pews, by small
aisles, descending by nine steps of six inches each. The pews at the north and south
ends of the church are straight, but those on the west side are curved uniformly with
the building. From the seats at the north side of the gallery, the principal beauties
of the church are seen to great advantage. The beautiful curvature and decorations
of the ceiling have a beautiful effect, from the bold perspective in which they are
here seen: and the centre of the gallery derives much beauty from the brilliant appearance of the organ.
"Less picturesque, but not less curious or beautiful, is the appearance of the
church when viewed from the chancel, as it is here that the whole of the auditory is
presented to the view, and the columns and other ornaments are seen uniformly.
The regularity and compactness of every part of the church are peculiarly striking.
The front of the gallery is here seen to great advantage. Twelve beautiful fluted
columns, of the Doric order, rise from pedestals and attic bases of mahogany: the
former are adorned with pannels, and correspond in height to that of the front pews,
which they adjoin. The columns are of cast iron, cased with mahogany, supporting
a frize, with fluted tryglyphs and guttæ. The front of the gallery rises from the entablature, and contains fifty-one pannels, alternately raised and lying, which being
formed of very handsome mahogany, have a rich appearance. The gallery staircase,
and mahogany pannels which support it. form a beautiful object when viewed from
the chancel: especially as from this place alone its connection with the arched canopy
above can be seen, together with the fancy compartments of the circular fan-light
above the west door.
"The ground-floor of the church is lighted by two windows of the chancel, and by
other eight windows extending round the north end of the church. and connected by
an ornamented plaster moulding. On the gallery floor are fifteen windows: the bars
are of cast iron, and their general appearance is light and elegant. Immediately
above the arches of these windows, an Ionic cornice, exceedingly beautiful and rich,
with massive and highly ornamented modillions, extends round the church. From
this extends a coved ceiling, of which no description can convey an adequate idea,
and which is, indeed, possessed of singular beauty. Near the edge is a large plaster
frize, or border, richly ornamented. The space included by this is thrown into twelve
compartments, divided by ribs, which diverge from an ellipse in the centre, the border of which, together with the diverging ribs, is studded with large pateræ, formed
of plaster, with radiating leaves, and surrounded with a border of suspending drops.
In the central ellipse is a handsome ornament, resembling diverging feathers, from
the middle of which the chandelier is suspended."
Such is the description given of this church by Mr. Sopwith, and which has evidently proceeded from admiration of the light and graceful style of its architecture.
But though this structure displays considerable skill and judgment, yet its most
striking ornaments are certainly inappropriate and in bad taste. No architectural
ornament ought ever to be introduced without its use or purpose be apparent. Utility constitutes the basis of chasteness; but this principle has not been regarded in
the decorations of this church. For instance, the pilasters stuck round the outer
wall of the chancel support nothing but a slight cornice, and appear to have no business to be there. The pediment below the belfry is also extremely absurd. Such
erections are used for carrying off the rain, and ought never to be built into walls.
Indeed, all this part of the steeple, up to the clock, is ill designed; though the propriety of attaching any steeple to such a building may be questioned. But this
building was erected before the late revival in architecture, and the architect himself
lived to perceive and acknowledge the defects of his plan. (fn. 4)
Several eminent architects have betrayed, in their erections, much ignorance of the
science of acoustics. Such is the case in the present building, in many parts of
which the voice of the preacher was nearly inaudible. To remedy this serious defect,
a concave sounding board was tried, but without producing the desired effect. In
March, 1790, the pulpit and reading desk were removed, and a temporary reading
desk placed in front of the communion rails. In the month of September following,
the pulpit was removed from the east wall to the front of the pews in the area, in
which situation it remained until the year 1812, when the middle window of the
chancel was closed up, and the pulpit placed immediately against it. Mr. Stokoe,
who conducted this alteration, conceived that the concave arch of the recess, together
with a large sounding board, would prevent the dispersion of the sound above the
gallery and centre of the church. This has, in some degree, been effected; but still
the inconvenience exists to a great extent. It has been proposed to place a flat ceiling under the present concave one, to hang transparent paintings to the inner side of
the windows on each side of the pulpit, to apply large ornamented brattices at the
upper parts of the walls, and to cover part of the walls and the front of the gallery
with drapery. No doubt, means might be adopted for producing the desired effect. (fn. 5)
The organ of this church stands above the gallery staircase, and in front of the
chancel. It was enlarged and improved by Mr. Donaldson, at a cost of £ 203, when
erected in the new building. It has since undergone frequent repairs. In 1812, it
was cleaned and tuned by Mr. T. Russell, of London, and the flute stop removed
from the great organ to the choir, for which he received £50; and in 1819, the
movement part was renewed, and other considerable additions made, under the direction of Messrs. Wood and Co. Edinburgh, the expenses of which amounted to
The great organ contains nine stops: open and stop diapason, principal, twelfth,
fifteenth, sesquialtra, cornet, mixture, and trumpet. The choir has open and stop
diapasons, principal, flute, and vox homina: annexed is a fine swell, containing a
diapason, principal, hautboy, trumpet, and dulciano. The frame-work is mahogany,
adorned with handsome carving and mouldings. In the front are three towers, each
containing five large pipes: the middle tower has the royal arms neatly painted on
it. Between these are numerous pipes, richly gilt. The whole is surmounted with
a dentil cornice and other ornaments. The organist's salary is £40 per annum, which
includes for instructing the choir, by whom an anthem is sung, during morning and
evening prayers, on Sundays.
The chapel occupies the west wing of the building, and contains a reading desk
and twelve commodious pews of solid mahogany. At the north end stands the font,
in a circular recess. It is a small, but richly ornamented octagonal pillar, formed of
Coad's artificial stone; and in eight niches are placed allegorical representations of
life, and of the Christian virtues, Prudence, Justice, Temperance, Fortitude, Faith,
Hope, and Charity.
The vestry, which is large and convenient, occupies the east wing of the vestibule.
In a stone closet, with an iron door, the parish registers and other documents are
carefully preserved. (fn. 6) The register of baptisms, marriages, and burials, begins in the
From the vestibule, a dark winding staircase leads, by an ascent of 60 steps, to the
bell-loft. The bells, which were cast by Mr. Thomas Mears. of London, were
opened on the 11th of October. 1797. by the Union Society of Newcastle, with a
peal of Holt's gransire triples, consisting of 5040 changes, in three hours and one
minute, in celebration of Admiral Duncan's victory over the Dutch fleet, off Camperdown. This peal is commemorated by an inscription.
In a vaulted room, above the belfry, stands the movement of an excellent turret
clock, of three parts, made by Mr. John Thwaites. Clerkenwell, London, under the
direction of Mr. Thomas Greaves, of this town, and fitted up in the steeple by Mr.
William Hale, of London, February, 1798. The pendulum is 12 feet in length, and
vibrates once in two seconds. It is wound up every morning, and has been kept in
repair, since its erection, by Mr. Greaves. The chimes are struck on the first, second, third, and sixth bells. From the clock-room, a wooden staircase ascends, by a
succession of stages, to the lower lantern, which, with the remainder of the spire, has
been already described.
The following are some modern inscriptions in the burying-ground of this church,
and a few old ones not before noticed:—
"The burial place of Michael Hymers, Dorothy his wife departed this life the 4th. of Feby.
1790 aged 75—Also lies here interred the body of Michael Hymers the above named who departed this life on the 25th of May 1799 in the 78th year of his age."
"Henry Wallas Hoastman and Mary his wife and their children Henry departed this life ye
6th day of Feby. 1689—John dep'ted ye 17 of Xber 1691—Humphrey dep'ted ye 13th day of
Xber anno 1698—The burial place of Joseph Watson and Jane his wife and their children He
departed this life the 28th of November 1735."
"This is the burial place of William Hutchinson Merchant Adventurer who departed this life
ye 6th of March 1680—Jonathan Hutchinson Esqr. died June 11th 1711 Mary his wife daughter of Mr. Ambrose Barnes died Jany 11th 1724. William their son died Sepr. 20th 1710,—Mr.
Joseph Airey Merchant who married Ruth Hutchinson their daughter—He died 2nd of Feby
1748 and is interred here—She died 4th Novr. 1767 aged 77 and is interred here—Julia Airey
wife of Joseph Airey Esqr. and daughter of Christopher Fawcett Esqr. obiit 29th Sepr. 1792 aged
30 years, and on the 30th of Jany 1794 Joseph Airey Esqr. aged 34 years."
"Here lie interred the remains of Ann Cramlington second wife of William Cramlington Esqr.
who died 23rd March 1804 aged 70 years—The above William Cramlington Esqr. died 12th
May 1810 aged 85 years."
"The buriall place of Richard Elbrough Master and Mariner—Sepulchrum Richardi Burdus Not. Pub. et Marle uxoris ille obiit 20 Decembris 1719—Hæc obiit 23 Augusti 1723 et Thomas Burdus Not. Pub. filius eoru obiit 26 die Septembris A0 Dom. 1726—Richard Burdus son
of Thomas Burdus died Aug. 16. 1775 aged 50 Ann Burdus wife of Thomas Burdus died Sep. 7.
1775 aged 80.
"William Kent Merchant died 27th of Feby. 1801 aged 70 years."
All the above grave-stones are adorned with armorial bearings. Most of the
burying-places in the cemetery are covered with flat stones, which now nearly occupy
the whole space. Few of the inscriptions are remarkable, and there are only two or
three epitaphs attempted in rhyme. The following are a few of the inscriptions
which may be noticed:—On a table monument, "The burying-place of Henry Moorhouse, M. D. who departed this life the 17th Feb. 1794, aged 35 years;" also his son
and daughter.—"1781, The burying-place of Matthew Bell, Esq."—"The buryingplace of Thomas Robson, wharfinger, who departed this life Dec. 30th, 1815, aged
58 years." Here are likewise the burying-places of Henry Atkinson, Hoastman—Richard Dunn—George Dunn—Lancelot Atkinson—Ralph Atkinson—Joseph Garnett—John Bell, tide-waiter, &c.
LECTURERS OF ALL SAINTS'.
Robert Jennison, S. T. P. occurs about the year 1622 (fn. 7)
Dr. Wishart appointed October 18, 1639. (fn. 8)
William Morton invited to be pastor of this church July 5, 1641. (fn. 9)
John Shaw, afternoon lecturer, occurs December 17, 1643. (fn. 10)
Richard Prideaux and William Durant appointed July 5, 1647. (fn. 11)
Thomas Davison, A. M. was appointed to this lectureship March 20, 1656. (fn. 12)
William Cock appointed, on Davison's resignation, March 23, 1664.
William Bickerton, on the resignation of Mr. Cock, January 26, 1666. (fn. 13)
Leonard Shaftoe, A. M. appointed May 8, 1671. (fn. 14)
William Maier, A. M. appointed August 30, 1676. (fn. 15)
Nathaniel Ellison, on the death of Maier, in November, 1686. (fn. 16)
Thomas Knaggs appointed afternoon lecturer December 2, 1687. (fn. 17)
Nathaniel Chilton, A. M. morning lecturer, succeeded Ellison about April 30,
1695. (fn. 18)
Leonard Shaftoe appointed morning lecturer July 14, 1698. (fn. 19)
Ralph Emmerson. A. M. afternoon lecturer September 21, 1697. (fn. 20)
Charles Ward, afternoon lecturer, occurs in 1711. (fn. 21)
Hugh Farrington succeeded Ward as afternoon lecturer in 1715. (fn. 22)
Henry Featherstonhaugh, B. D. appointed afternoon lecturer in September, 1731
Robert Swinburne. A. M. morning lecturer, appointed September 24, 1739. (fn. 24)
Hugh Moises. A. M. morning lecturer, succeeded Swinburne April 24, 1761.
Henry Ridley. A. M. appointed afternoon lecturer June 14, 1779. (fn. 26)
Cuthbert Wilson. A. M. afternoon lecturer, appointed December 17, 1783.
William Haigh. A. M. who succeeded Mr. Wilson, first occurs May 3, 1797.
Edward Moises. A. M. morning lecturer, on Haigh's removal to Wooler.
CURATES OF ALL SAINTS. (fn. 27)
John de Harpham occurs in the year 1380.
Robert Croft in 1407.
William Daggett in 1424.
Robert Hart in 1558 and in 1562. (fn. 28)
George Gray, clerk, occurs December 4, 1576.
Cuthbert, alias Robert Ewbank, occurs February 1,1577. (fn. 29)
Edward Cleton occurs both in 1585 and in 1586.
Thomas Edgar is mentioned in 1596.
John Wood occurs in the parish register in 1610.
Samuel Barker, clerk, is mentioned in 1617, and again in 1633.
Robert Bonner. A. B. licensed December 17, 1639 (fn. 30)
Ronald Salkeld in the year 1660.
John Wolfall, A. B. ordained priest March 15,1662.
Stephen Hegg occurs in 1664.
Reynold Horsley in 1665.
Timothy Fenwick in 1672.
Ralph Grey was curate in 1683.
Joseph Bonner (afterwards vicar of Bolam) curate in 1688,
Peter Straughan succeeded Bonner in 1695.
Anthony Procter was curate in 1697 or 1699.
Robert Musgraye, A. B. in 1703.
Cuthbert Ellison, M. A. in 1708. (fn. 31)
Henry Bourne, M. A. appointed in 1722. (fn. 32)
Thomas Maddison, M. A. licensed September 7, 1733.
William Alderson, clerk, head curate in 1758.
George Stephenson, clerk, head curate December, 1774. (fn. 33)
George Emerson, clerk, succeeded Stephenson in 1791. (fn. 34)
Robert Green, M. A. appointed in September, 1817.
Mr. John Pinkney, one of the two clerks of this parish, dying in 1708, it was
thought more convenient for the parishioners, as also for the minister, who had a
very laborious cure, to have an assistant curate. "He was allowed," says Bourne,
"the fees of the clerk, for weddings, burials, and christnings, which amounts to £50
per annum." Abraham Wilcox, A. M. was appointed. He was succeeded by Ambrose Fenwick, A. M. afterwards vicar of Stamfordham. (fn. 35)
William, alias George Hall, appointed April 30, 1722.
Thomas Gates succeeded Hall in 1722. (fn. 36)
William Alderson, clerk, occurs in 1754.
George Stephenson, clerk, is the next assistant curate named.
John Hogarth, clerk, December, 1774. (fn. 37)
Joseph Birkitt, A. B. is the next that occurs.
William Haigh. A. M. first occurs May 3, 1797.
The register of baptisms, marriages, and burials, belonging to this church, begins
in the year 1600. There is a hiatus in the register of baptisms, from March, 1635,
to March. 1637, as also from March. 1643. to January. 1644. The first baptism performed in this church is entered as follows:—" Baptized. September the 1st. Robert
son of Rev. John Hogarth, born Jany 25th, 1788, and was the first child received in
ye new church."
The plate belonging to this church consists of two tankards, four plates, four cups,
two bread-plates, one large dish, one silver funnel, and one baptism-bason.