ST. ANDREWS CHURCH.
FEW writers on ecclesiastical architecture, until lately, have
attempted to point out the peculiarities of sacred buildings
erected in very remote ages; and none have succeeded in
giving a decisive criteria for appropriating variations of
architectural styles to determined periods. It is, therefore,
extremely difficult to ascertain the precise date of ancient
structures where written testimony is wanted, as is the
case in respect to this church. Some presumptive proofs
of the date of foundation even of old parochial churches
may, however, be deduced from an analogy of style with
superior edifices, whose origin is authenticated.
The pillars that divide the aisles of this church are circular and low, with plain
octagon capitals, and supporting heavy circular arches, ornamented with a kind of
embattled frette. The lofty arch which forms the entrance into the chancel is also
circular, and embellished with the chevron work or zig-zag moulding. Here then we
discover all the characteristic features of that style of architecture denominated
Anglo-Saxon; and it is generally agreed that the early ecclesiastical buildings of the
Anglo-Normans were erected with few deviations, as to architectural fashion, from
those of their Saxon precursors. The obtuse pointed arch, slender pillar, and variegated ornaments, were variations introduced into sacred architecture a few years
previous to the death of king Stephen, which took place in the year 1154, before
which time this church has probably been founded. All the other parts of the
church seem to have been altered and rebuilt; and nothing of the original structure remains except a few courses of stone-work, which may be easily discovered on
examination. The erection of this church has been ascribed, though without any
sufficient authority, to David king of Scots, who died in 1153; and which agrees
with the above conjecture. Bourne, indeed, is of opinion that it was built before
king David was born; because, according to tradition, it is the oldest church in
town, and St. Nicholas', it is admitted, was erected before the time of king Henry I.
But as the church of St. Nicholas was burnt down in 1216, this church may be the
oldest ecclesiastical building in Newcastle, though founded after that which has always been called the mother or parish church of Newcastle. (fn. 1)
St. Andrew's church is first mentioned in the Chartulary of Tynemouth monastry,
in the year 1218. The justices itinerant held their courts in this church in 1280.
In 1387, John bishop of Durham granted an indulgence of forty days to those who
would contribute any thing to the reparation of St. Andrew's church, and to the
chapel of the Holy Trinity in the same: and in 1392. Oswald bishop of Galloway
granted an indulgence of forty days to such persons as should say their prayers devoutly at this church. This indulgence is dated at York, for it appears that the
bishop of Galloway was suffragan to the archbishop of York.
This church received so much damage during the siege of Newcastle in 1644, that
no service was performed therein for a year afterwards. (fn. 2) As related before, "a
breach was made in the wall near to the church capable of admitting ten men abreast."
In 1652, this church was repaired by an assessment upon the houses and lands in
the parish: but the parishioners, in 1678, petitioned the common council to assist
them in the necessary reparations.
The floor of this church was first covered with flags in 1707: and in the following
year, the corporation of Newcastle gave £10 towards the repairs then made, a cess of
6d. per pound on all the lands and tenements in the parish having been insufficient
to discharge the expense incurred. In 1711. there was a neat gallery erected at the
west end of the church. The old porch, in 1726, was taken down, and the present
one built. The church, in 1763, underwent a general repair.
The gallery at the west end of the church was pulled down in 1782, and the present one built for the organ, with sixteen new pews beneath the organ-loft. The
north gallery was erected in 1785; and three years afterwards, the third pillar in the
north aisle was taken down, and two arches thrown into one. The pulpit was also
In 1792, a gallery was built on the south part of the church, for the use of the
charity-school for girls and the charity-boys. The church was cleaned, repaired, and
painted in 1796: and, in 1799, it was again repaired and ornamented. The north
gallery was extended in the preceding year. In 1812. the church was repaired and
painted: the church-wardens this year expending £821, 8s. 4d. Some necessary
reparations were also made in the year 1814: and a frame-work of wood and glass
was put up at the west end of the north gallery. The whole church was repaired.
cleaned, and painted in 1818.
There were anciently three chantries in St. Andrew's church; one dedicated to
St. Mary, another to the Holy Trinity, and a third to St. Thomas.
St. Mary's Chantry is mentioned in a charter dated the latter part of the reign of
king Edward I. No deed of foundation was shewn at the suppression; but the
yearly value was found to be £6, 12s. 10d. The last priest was Sir John Sadler. (fn. 3)
The Chantry of the Holy Trinity is supposed to have been founded by Sir Adam
de Athol, knight, lord of Jesmond and sheriff of Northumberland, 5 king Richard II.
1383. In the indulgence granted for the service of this church in 1392, by the bishop
of Galloway, it is said, "That whoever offers or sends, or causes to be sent to the
chapel of the Holy Trinity in the northern part of the same church, either gold,
silver, vestments, books, chalices, or any other ornaments, which are wanting to the
aforesaid chapel, or altar, or image of the Holy Trinity, which is in the same chapel—or who shall fall down upon their knees before the image of the Holy Trinity, aforesaid, and pray for the health of Sir Adam de Athol, knt. as long as he lives, and for
his soul after his decease, and for the soul of the Lady Mary his wife, whose body
lies buried in the same chapel of the Holy Trinity, shall, as often as they perform
those things, or any of the things before-mentioned, have the benefit of a forty days'
"Now from this it is observable," says Bourne, "that waste place in the
northern aisle, which opens into the quire, must be the chapel here spoken of. For
there lies the body of Sir Adam's wife, which is said in the indulgence to be buried
in the chapel of the Holy Trinity; as also the body of Sir Adam himself. The
building itself is after the manner of chapels, which were added to parish churches;
and it is still observable, that at the top of the north window in the chapel there
seems to be a picture of the Holy Trinity, represented according to the superstition
of these times by the face of an old man, our Saviour upon the cross, and the figure
of a dove; it having been always customary in these times, not only to have the
image of the saint set up to whom the church was dedicated, but also to adorn the
windows with it." The yearly value of this chantry at the suppression was £4, 2s.
10d. Thomas Westhe was the last incumbent, and had a pension of £2, 1s. 5d. per
The Chantry of St. Thomas is not mentioned in the certificate of colleges and chantries in Northumberland and Durham, 37 Henry VIII. remaining in the Augmentation Office. By an inquisition taken 19th of Elizabeth, preserved in the archives of
the corporation of Newcastle, there was a house belonging to it, bounded on the west
by the end of St. Andrew's church, on the north by a house then in the possession of
Richard Atkinson, on the east by the High Street, and on the south by the church-stile.
It was valued at 10s. per annum. An old account which Bourne saw mentions an
orchard belonging to it, rented by Sir Robert Brandling at 3s. 4d.; but where it
stood did not appear.
Although the date of the erection of this church cannot be ascertained with satisfactory precision, yet it exhibits some unaltered and uninjured specimens of AngloNorman architecture. The windows, which form an important and obvious feature
in every division of ancient architecture, in this building present several varieties of
form. The window at the east end, and that on the south side of the communionplace, are divided by two mullions, which at the top form a simple intersection,
indicating the earliest stage of the pointed style of architecture, prevailing from 1154
to 1199. The size and ornaments of the other windows shew the vicissitudes of
fashion. One at the west end of the church is very spacious and beautiful: but
others, particularly on the north side, are quite modern, and not in accordance with
the general style of the edifice. The buttresses are slight and unornamented, and,
with the plain parapet, preserve the character of the early Anglo-Norman architecture. There is a brick chimney run up against the exterior of the south cross—one
of the barbarous improvements of modern times.
The interior of this venerable building has been greatly altered; and, in consequence of the gradually increasing demand for seats, it is now crowded and disfigured
with galleries. (fn. 4) The principal entrance is by a porch of modern architecture, at the
south-west corner of the building. The inner door of the old porch opened into the
church; but it now leads into a kind of vestibule, 12 feet in breadth, and which has
been partitioned off from the body of the church. A door at the middle of this entrance opens into the middle aisle, which, to the entrance of the chancel, measures 58
feet in length. The north aisle is now divided from the middle one by three pillars,
and the south aisle by four pillars. The entire breadth of the three aisles is 63 feet:
but the breadth of the church, including the north and south cross, is 79 feet nearly.
The pulpit stands against the fourth pillar of the south aisle. A stove has been
lately placed in the middle aisle, before the entrance into the chancel.
The chancel, from the fine Saxon arch (fn. 5) which forms the entrance to the east end,
measures 58 feet in length. The breadth is only 18 feet. The west end of the
chancel is occupied by pews. The altar was beautified in the year 1781, when a sub
scription was made for procuring a new service of silver plate (fn. 6) and a new altar-cloth.
Above the altar is a fine picture, representing the Last Supper, by the celebrated
Giordano. (fn. 7) It was presented by Major Anderson in 1804. The beauties of this
superb painting cannot, however, be seen to advantage, in consequence of the bad
light in which it is placed. In order to remedy this defect, it has been proposed to
build up the east window, and to enlarge and raise the old window on the south side
of the communion-place. (fn. 8)
The obtuse pointed arches that separate the side aisle from the north and south
cross are evidently alterations, made at times subsequent to the erection of the original
building. The ceiling above the centre and north aisle is plastered and whitened;
but the old, simple, and venerable ribbed roof is preserved above the south aisle and
Trinity chapel, which is 28½ feet long, and 23 feet broad, adjoins the south side of
the north aisle. An obtuse pointed arch divides this place from the choir, and proves
that it is an addition made in after times to the original building. Having been the
chantry of the Holy Trinity, it was probably erected some short time previous to
the year 1387, when it is mentioned in the bishop of Durham's indulgence before
cited. (fn. 9) The Font, which formerly stood at the west end of the church, near the
porch, now stands in this chapel. It has a lofty, curious, and finely carved cover.
On the east side is the door into the new vestry, above which are the royal arms.
The old vestry, which communicates with the south side of the chancel, is supposed to have been another chantry. It is a very ancient building: the roof is
formed by ribbed arches, and covered with large square stones. The third chantry,
Brand thinks, has been on the north side of the church, "where," he says, "it still
remains, having been used, not many years ago, as an ale-cellar to an adjoining alehouse." This old erection was once the habitation of the beadle. It was pulled
down in 1788, and the new vestry built upon its scite. (fn. 10) It is, however, very probable, that one of the chantries was in the south cross. In the wall there is a niche,
which appears to have held holy water; and the remains of painted figures may yet
be traced on the wall within the finely ornamented window that faces the south.
In 1785, Mr. Donaldson built the present organ for £315, which sum was raised
by a voluntary subscription. In 1799, the same artist received £21 for repairing it.
The organ, in 1817, was repaired, cleaned, and tuned by Mr. Nicholson of London,
for which he was paid £40. In 1819, it being out of repair, Mr. Grey proposed to
put it in proper order for 200 guineas, towards which Major Anderson generously
subscribed £50. Messrs. Wood, Small, and Co. Edinburgh, in 1823 put two new
stops in the organ, which cost £50, 10s. 4d.
The common council, in 1776, made an order to establish a salary of £20 per annum, for the organist of the organ intended to be set up in St. Andrew's church.
When Thomas Wright was chosen organist, April 21, 1796, his salary of £20 per
annum was paid out of the church-cess. Mr. Henry Munro, the present organist,
was appointed October 27, 1796. His salary, in 1822, was raised to £30 per annum.
Each side of the tower measures 25 feet, exclusive of the heavy projecting buttresses. Though now a clumsy and misshapen erection, it has anciently possessed
considerable lightness and beauty. A door-way at the west end, and three capacious
windows, have been built up. By examining the interior, it is also evident that the
belfry has been supported by intersecting arches, which have probably had, like the
other churches, the name and arms of Robert Rhodes in the centre. At the east
end of the steeple, on the outside, there is the same mark of a sloping roof that there
is often seen in the remains of churches that have belonged to religious houses.
Great part of this steeple appears to have been battered down during the memorable siege of the town in 1644. The new masonry is very observable; but enormous buttresses have been found necessary to prevent it from falling. In 1808,
Major Anderson proposed to present a clock, provided the parish would prepare the
steeple for its reception; or to alter the steeple, if the parish would undertake
to purchase a good clock. Mr. Reed, mason, was therefore ordered to examine
the steeple; when he reported that it was "in such an imperfeet state, as to render
it unsafe to raise the bells." The above gentleman then liberally offered, if the parish
would build a new tower 80 feet in height, to raise upon it an elegant spire, equal in
height to St. Nicholas'; but this singularly generous offer was not accepted, it being
judged unsafe to attempt any considerable alteration in so old a building.
In the year 1726, the old bells were taken down; and the present six bells were
procured by a public collection. The corporation gave £50 towards the expense.
They were cast at London, by Mr. R. Phelps, and are now a hundred years old;
"It is generally allowed by professional men, that this peal has never been surpassed,
and but seldom equalled, in point of musical correctness and harmony of tone, by
any other peal that has been cast, either before or since that time. Not one bell in
the six is in the smallest degree faulty."
This church contains a great number of escutcheons, which will be noticed in the
account of charities bequeathed to the poor, &c. There are very few mural monuments: but several old grave-stones remain on the floor, with inscriptions and
armorial bearings. (fn. 11) The church-yard is crowded with funeral monuments.
In Trinity chapel is the most remarkable monument in this church. Sir Adam de
Athol. and his wife Mary, under a very large stone, which has originally been plated
very curiously with brass. The remains of their effigies are still to be seen. He is
pictured at length in armour. having a sword on his left side, and a dagger on his
right. Her effigy has nothing remaining of it but from the shoulders upwards.
The arms of both their families are still to be seen on the tomb-stone. Bourne says,
"What remains of the inscription is this: Hie jacent Dominus Adamarus de Atholl
miles & Domina Maria uxor ejus quæ obiit quarto decimo die mensis...... anno Domini millesimo tricentesimo......... Animarum propitietur.'—The remaining part of
the date is broken off: Grey, however, in his account of this stone, tells us, it was in
the year 1387. which is very probably the time that his wife died: for it is a mistake
that he died then, as appears by the indulgence above-mentioned." Brand adds.
"There was, very lately, on this stone, inlaid with brass, a shield with arms, as quartered at this day by the Dukes of Athol."
On a tomb-stone,—
"Here lieth Cuthbert Nicholson Cordiner He Depted this life ye 16 of Ianuary 1667 Alice
His Wife Depted.......... the 23 Ano........... their Sons Cuthbert. Lancelot & Phinehas
survived of 6 Children"
On other stones in this chapel,—Joshua Twizell. died June 23, 1718—Thomas
Winship, tanner, died September 2. 1695—Christopher Rutter, baker and brewer,
died March 17. 1714—Mrs. Elizabeth Davison, mother of Mr. Thomas Davison,
died January 20. 1724. aged 84 years—Nicholas Fenwick, merchant, died 14th December. 1725. and a few others.
In the chancel. near the altar, James Ogle, of Causey Park, Esq. upon whose
tomb-stone, which is of marble, is the following inscription:—
"Hic jacet Jacobus Ogle de Causey Park in comitatu Northumb' armiger, antiquitate domus
utpote ex prenobili baronia Ogle de Ogle stirpe recta linea oriundus, vere clarus: sed invicta in perduelles, grassantibus nuperis civilibus bellis. animi magnitudine, constantia in regem etiam in tristissimo authoritatis deliquio. Fidelitate. in superiores observantia in pace comitate, in inferiores
benignitate, quæ omnia justissimo titulo sua vocare poterat, multo illustrior. Obiit Dec. 4°. die
annoque Domini 1664."
Cuthbert Lambert, M. D. and his son Cuthbert, are interred within the rails of
the communion-place. There are also buried, within the chancel, Thomas Harrison,
barber surgeon, died 24th February, 1679—also Beadnell, Barker. Todd, Tanner,
Rutter, Romaine, Younger, Mills, Drummond, Reed, Harrison. The latest is
David Cooper, died 1748. On a mural monument, on the north wall of the chancel,
near the communion-place,—
"Sacred to the memory of Mrs. J. Wilson, for many years a conductor of a seminary for female
education in this town, who to consummate skill in directing the mind of youth to what is virtuous
and elegant, added the example of that dignity, gentleness, and purity of character, which it was
the great object of her life to inculcate. She died Dec. 1, 1806, aged 59 years."
Near to this is another small monument, with the following inscription:—
"Never was tribute by an affectionate widow more duly paid to honour, justice, and merit, than
by the erection of this monument to the memory of Ralph Waters, who closed his well-spent life
on the 26th of Oct. 1817, aged 68 years."
On the same side, within the entrance into the chancel,—
"In the burial-place of this chapelry lie the remains of William Darnell, merchant adventurer,
a man whose strict integrity, sound understanding, and extensive information on commercial subjects,
joined to a warm and benevolent heart, secured to him through life the confidence and esteem of
numerous friends.—Likewise of FRANCES his wife, of which it is not too much to say, that she was
a pattern of Christian graces to all around her. They lived for more than forty years in bonds of
the most tender affection. Their good deeds speak for them on earth: their trust was, that, through
the merits of their Redeemer, they should not live in vain. Wm. Darnell died 13th April, 1813,
aged 81; Frances died 8th August, 1805, aged 66. This monument was erected to the memory of
his parents by W. N. Darnell, B. D."
Robert Mills, house-carpenter, is interred in the north aisle; and Dorothy Harrison, who died May 27, 1702, in the south aisle.
In the entrance at the west end of the church are the burial-places of Richard
Ward, of Walcott in Norfolk, Esq.; of Joseph Richardson, 1763; of Henry Cowell,
1761; of William Milburn, plumber, 1772; of John Hunter, Esq.; of Captain William Hedley; and of the family of Bates. On the north wall, in ascending the stairs
of the gallery, is a neat mural monument, on which is the following inscription:—
"We shall go to Him, but he shall not return to us.—Ralph Bates of Milburn Hall in Northumberland Esquire Lieut. Colonel Commandant of the Southern Reg. of Local Militia one of his
majesty's justices of the peace and sheriff of the county in the year MDCCCXII departed this life June
VI MDCCCXIII aged XLVIII years leaving two sons and three daughters. This tribute of affection
was erected to the memory of the best of husbands by his afflicted widdow. In the same vault near
this place are deposited the remains of his father Ralph Bates Esquire who died August 11
MDCCLXXXIII aged LIII years."
Underneath are the arms,—Sable, a fess engrailed or, between three dexter hands
couped bendways proper, for Bates.—Impaling, Gules, a chevron between three
eagles' heads erased or, for Ellison.
IN THE CHURCH-YARD.
On a flat tomb-stone, south-west of the church, is inscribed, "The burial-place of Ralph
Beilby, who departed this life June 4, 1817, aged 73 years." Adjoining is another,—
"The tomb of Thomas Beatt Wood, who departed this life 9 Dec. 1813, æt. 17. He was not
formed for the rude blasts here. He shrunk from it like many a tender bud—to open in more congenial skies—to an eternal spring. This stone was erected by his father, James Wood, M. D.—
Also of his brother. William Atkinson Wood, who died 18 Sept. 1816, æt. 16. The bonds of affection united them in life, and in death they were not divided.
They steered their course to the same peaceful shore,
Not parted long, and now to part no more.
Here also is interred Margaret, wife of James Wood. M. D. who died 29 June, 1820, aged 30.—
Also the above James Wood. M. D. who departed this life June 30, 1822, æt. 56 years."
"Sacred to the memory of Thomas Heath, Esq. who died 14th Dec. 1819, aged
72 years." On a flat stone, "Mr. James Harvey, tobacconist, departed this life 17th
May. 1822. aged 54 years."—"The family vault of Joseph Airey, Esq. who departed
this life September 3, 1824, aged 74 years."—"Here lies the remains of Dorothy
Backhouse, relict of the late Joshua Backhouse, Esq. of Colbeck. Cumberland, who
departed this life May 12. 1819. in the 82d year of her age."—"The burial-place of
Benjamin Tulloch, of this town, surgeon. Margaret, his wife, died December 4,
1820, aged 29 years. Also their son William Battye, who died 18th June, 1821,
aged 11 months."—"In memory of Jane, widow of John Widdrington, Esq. of
Hauxley, Northumberland, who died 6th September, 1824, aged 88."—"The family
burial-place of Edward Hetherington, Esq. who departed this life on the 19th April,
1824, aged 66 years."—"The congregation of Protestant Dissenters, assembled at
the High Bridge in this town, have placed this testimony to the memory of their
late faithful and esteemed minister, the Rev. James Murray, who fought a good
fight, kept the faith, and finished his course the 28th June, 1782, aged 50 years."
"Walter Saunders, Esq. captain in the East Middlesex Militia, who died the 21st
of March. 1798. in the 49th year of his age, universally regretted by the corps."—"Matthew Brown, died April 4, 1803, aged 45 years."—"Patrick Sterling, Esq. of
Dundee, died 30th January. 1812."—"Sacred to the memory of John Fryer, who
departed this life October 5, 1825. aged 80 years. Elizabeth his wife died October
22, 1792. aged 42 years. Louisa, wife of Joseph Harrison Fryer, died January 10,
1810, aged 23 years."—"Here lies the remains of Joshua Story, schoolmaster, who
departed this life April 5. 1782. aged 26 years 9 months."—"To the memory of John
Fenwick. Esq. solicitor, who died 14th March, Anno Domini 1820, aged 80 years.
This stone was placed here, as a token of respect, by his nephew. Mark Jobson,
master mariner, the 22d Feb. 1821."—"Sacred to the memory of Edward Bruce,
schoolmaster, who died 12th June, 1806, aged 32 years. Sarah Bruce, mother of the
above Edward Bruce, died October 28, 1814. aged 73 years."
"Underneath are deposited, in hope of a joyful resurrection, the remains of Elizabeth Dickson,
wife of Major-general Dickson, and youngest daughter of Alexander Collingwood, Esq. of Unthank,
in the county of Northumberland. In remembrance of her amiable and exemplary conduct, as an
affectionate wife and truly tender parent, this stone is placed by her afflicted husband. She died
Feb. 25. 1801. aged 55 years.—Also are here deposited, with the same blessed hope, the remains of
John Dickson, the husband, a general in his majesty's service, who served his country with honour
and integrity for a space of 56 years, and whose loss is deeply felt by his afflicted family and friends.
He died April 14, 1816, aged 76 years."
The funeral vault of "William Peters, of Newcastle upon Tyne, attorney-at-law.
He died 13th May, 1807, aged 75 years. Richard Peters, his son, died 11th June,
1793, aged 24 years."—"Sacred to the memory of Frances Rudd, daughter of the
late Abraham Blackstone Rudd, vicar of Diddlebury, in the county of Salop, who
died August 17, 1820, aged 38 years."—" The burial-place of the Rev. George Atkin,
of Morpeth, and his family. Ann, his wife, died July 26, 1812, aged 27 years."
"Sacred to the memory of Frances Henrietta, second daughter of Lieut. Colonel Evans, who died
May 10, 1819, aged 6 years and 11 months.
|She was but as a smile||She was, and she is not;|
|Which glistens in a tear; ||But her spirit points the way|
|Seen but a little while,||To that celestial spot|
|But, oh! how lov'd! how dear!||Where beams eternal day."|
"April 26, 1806, Joseph Bell, painter, departed this life, aged 60; highly and deservedly respected by all who knew him, for his talents as an artist, his integrity as a
tradesman, and his general worth as a man."—"Sacred to the memory of Henry
Munro, formerly of Lincoln, who departed this life Jan. 11, 1819, aged 70 years," &c.
On a table monument opposite the porch door:—
H. R. I. P.
|Car. Avison ||denati||9 Maii, 1770. ||a° ætatis 60.|
|Cath. Uxor||14 Octob. 1766.||—53.|
"Simul cum filia Jana conjugi mæstissimo Roberto Page immature erepta 14 Julii, 1773, annos
"Charles Avison, late organist of St. Nicholas' church, son of the said Charles and Cathn Avison,
died 6th April, 1793, aged 43 years.
"Hic Situs est Robertus Page, Armiger, Vir virtutiet et rectefactis insignio Diutissime languescens morti succubuit A. D. 1807, Ætatique 69.
"Charles Avison, son of the above Charles Avison, organist, departed this life Feb. 19, 1816,
aged 25 years."
On an adjoining table monument,—
"In memory of Edward Avison and Margaret his wife, who were eminent for piety and primitive
simplicity of manners: Having each borne a lingering disease, with the most exemplary patience and
resignation; They rejoiced at the approach of death, and expired with hopes full of immortality.
He died in October, 1776, aged 29. She in November, 1777, aged 33."
On an upright stone, "The burial-place of Mary, wife of the Rev. William Turner,
who died Jan. 16, 1797, aged 37. Also of his child, Thomas, who died May 23,
1790, aged 11 months. John died May 3, 1796, aged 26 months. Philip Holland
died Sept. 22, 1811, aged 21 years."—"To the memory of John Coulson, 31 years.
master of St. John's charity-school in this town, who departed this life April 4, 1808,
aged 53 years."—"Hugh Johnson, who was master of All Saints' charity-school in
this town upwards of 40 years. He departed this life Sept.7, 1807, aged 74 years."—"To the memory of John Fenwick, who was many years surveyor to the corporation
of Newcastle, who departed this life Feb. 26, 1794, aged 74. Also Mary Lloyd, his
sister, who departed this life May 10, 1798, aged 80 years. Fenwick Lloyd died
May 14, 1803; Mary, July, 1806, aged each 21 years. Tristm. Lloyd died April 8,
1810, aged 61 years."—"Thomas Hewson, who was many years sheriff's serjeant
under the corporation of this town, died Feb.20, 1818, aged 53 years."
On an upright stone,—
"Sacred to the memory of Eliz. Julia Trotter, wife of Thomas Trotter, M. D. ob. May 1st,
1804, Æt. 29 years 6 months.
I ask not inspiration for my aid,
Nor court the praise by venal marbles paid;
My artless strains a nobler tribute own
Than flattery breathes to monumental stone:
Hail! task divine, to pour the tender tear
O'er the lov'd wife, companion, partner dear,
And as it streams, thou sainted spirit, see,
Behold this bleeding heart still points to thee;
Yet while it throbs with pangs too strong to feign,
No impious gusts shall Heaven's decrees arraign,
I bow all grateful for those blessings gone,
I heave no murmur, though I weep and moan;
And while with all an anxious father's care
I rear thy babe and plant thy virtues there,
Cull from the precious treasures of thy mind
Each bright example and each truth refin'd;
Religion oft shall come in visions mild,
To soothe the parent and to bless the child,
Illumine with a ray like thine the lonely road,
Till call'd to part no more we meet in God."
Underneath the flagged foot-path from the church to the south-west door of the
church-yard, are a number of family-vaults. "The funeral-vault of Mrs. Hannah
Ellison, who died Nov. 21, 1799, aged 68. Elizabeth Ellison, sister of the above
Hannah Ellison, died May 25, 1811, aged 78 years."—John Kirsopp, attorney-at-law.
—John Hawkes, master mariner.—Richard Swarley.—Joseph Wilson.—John Cram,
master mariner.—William Middlemas.—Joseph Richardson.—Thomas Smith, master mariner.—William Nesham.—William Baker.—William Boyd.—Thomas Pearson, &c.
Here are also the burying-places of Thomas Waistell, Esq.—Major Heron—Peter
Donnison—Jacob Lambert—James Hunter, coach-maker—Henry Walton, gent.—
William Gibson—John Scott—Charles Plummer—Captain Evan Heaton, R. A. D.
—Joseph Grey—Robert Marshall—Thomas Shevil—William Wilson—James Purdy
—Thomas Harle—William Darnell, mercht.—Thomas Beck—William Wallaice—
John Fish, gent.—John Blaylock—John Rennoldson—William Raisbeck and Thomas Gunn—Gale and Polding—Lawrence Turner—Lancelot Blyth—Joseph Hedley—Richard Hill—James Archbold—Robert Liddell—William Smith, Esq.—
Stephen Coulson—James Watson—Thomas Winship—Thomas Heath, Esq.—
Joseph Airey, Esq.—John Baptist—Edward Surtees, Esq.—Robert Chrissop—John
and Jane Ridley—John Bell—Anthony Scott—Jacob Lambert—Thomas Bell, merchant—Edvardo Manners, &c. &c.
Thomas bishop of Durham, January 12, 1376, granted leave to the parishioners of
St. Andrew's to build in their church-yard, saving the episcopal rights and those of
the parish-church of Newcastle upon Tyne. In modern times, this has proved to
be a very injudicious arrangement. The parishioners, in 1783, were obliged to purchase a piece of waste ground, lying on the west side of the church-yard, to enlarge
their burial-ground. This was consecrated by the bishop of Clonfort, in September,
1786. The foot-path on the east and south-east part of the church-yard, was made
in the year 1793, and a door that opened into Darn Crook shut up. In 1818, the
corporation permitted the parish to pull down a part of the town-wall extending
from the north-west corner of the church tower to Darn Crook, and also to take into
the church-yard an adjoining part of the King's Dykes. This new portion of ground
was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Oxford. (fn. 12) The new wall which adjoins Gallowgate is surmounted by iron railings. In 1824, it was resolved to pull down the
public house which adjoined the church, part of which belonged to the parish. The
other part was purchased by a subscription amongst the opulent inhabitants of the
parish, aided by the corporation. Since this unseemly building was removed, the
church is entirely exposed to public view; and the side of the church-yard adjoining
the street is enclosed by a low stone wall, which supports a neat iron railing. Two
ornamental malleable iron gates have been set up; the foot-path on the outside has
been widened and flagged; and, on the whole, the appearance of the church and its
cemetery has been much improved. (fn. 13)
CURATES, LECTURERS, AND ASSISTANT CURATES. (fn. 14)
Brand, quoting Randall's MSS. says, "The vicar of Newcastle pays to the minister
or lecturer of this church, as curate, £3 per annum—the corporation of Newcastle
pays him as lecturer £100 per annum, and the king pays him £5, 2s. 6d. aliter £5,
5s. 5d. per annum."
William Hydewyn was parish priest here in the year 1378. (fn. 15)
William Hunter occurs in 1426.
Bartram Cowghram was minister February 1, 1578. (fn. 16)
Thomas Maislete is mentioned as curate January 23, 1580.
Robert Askewe occurs in the year 1589.
Robert Bonner, A. B. licensed December 17, 1636.
Francis Gray about 1622: buried January 14, 1641.
Mr. Ander mentioned as minister of this church in 1641.
John Clark, A. M. appointed March 7, 1641. (fn. 17)
Stephen Dockray appointed April 5, 1647. (fn. 18)
Dr. Wishart succeeded Mr. Dockray in September, 1660. (fn. 19)
John Clark, A. M. reinstated August 27, 1662.
Henry Ashburnham occurs in 1668. (fn. 20)
John Weld, A. B. curate, occurs September 19, 1669. (fn. 21)
Robert Roddam appointed October 19, 1677. (fn. 22)
Daniel Potenger appointed April 7, 1684. (fn. 23)
John Leigh, on Potenger's resignation, December 2, 1687.
Charles Maddison succeeded Leigh, August 27, 1688.
William Drake and Andrew Bates presented October 8, 1688. (fn. 24)
William Richards appointed July 25, 1689. (fn. 25)
Peter Strachan, curate, occurs March 7, 1693.
William Aynsley, curate, is mentioned July 3, 1695.
Charles Stoddart, curate, occurs July 30, 1696.
Richard Musgrave was curate August 6, 1702.
John Perkin, curate, April 18, 1704.
Thomas Shadforth, A. M. minister, September 25, 1705. (fn. 26)
George Pie was curate in 1705.
Thomas Pie, curate, occurs February, 1706.
John Potts, curate, (removed to St. John's) February 20, 1707.
George Lyon (removed to Earsdon) May, 1707.
John Mitcalfe, curate, occurs in 1714.
William Hall (removed to All Saints'), 1718.
James Fairn, curate, occurs in 1720.
William Simcoe was curate in 1722.
William Wilkinson, curate, 1724; removed to St. Nicholas', 1739.
John Ellison, A. M. licensed September 16, 1725. (fn. 27)
Richard Brewster, A. B. licensed on the removal of Wilkinson, Sept. 12, 1741. (fn. 28)
Anthony Munton, A. M. curate. (fn. 29)
George Stephenson, clerk, curate, appointed in 1755.
John Ellison, clerk, curate, appointed in 1766. (fn. 30)
John Askew, A. B. curate, December, 1756.
John Scott, curate, 1763; buried at St. Andrew's, December 2, 1764.
Bryan Leeke, A. M. curate, occurs 1765.
Nathanael Ellison, A. M. appointed September 29, 1766. (fn. 31)
John Brand, A. B. curate, appointed in June, 1773. (fn. 32)
Thomas Ellison, A. B. curate, 1785.
William Haigh, A. M. curate, 1786.
William Bell Moises, A. M. curate, 1793.
Richard Hartley, A. M. perpetual curate, 1808. (fn. 33)
Henry Deer Griffith, A. M. perpetual curate, 1811.
AFTERNOON LECTURERS. (fn. 34)
Edward Moises, A. M. appointed 1798.
Robert Hilton Scott appointed 1816.
John Walker succeeded Mr. Scott in 1822.